• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Critical NAB Match

jayceebee31

Do we have to play at Etihad if we win?

I hope not

Yes. I think this game will be about who wants to lose the least. Freo would be mad to want to win this game and have to travel to play the premiers on a sub standard ground when they can lose and stay at home and I think there is very little incentive for us to win except for a win interstate would be nice.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it is a reality that some prospective members will see a win this weekend as important so from that POV I agree with the OP. Obviously the majority of supporters who have a more sensible perspective on this game (and our season) are probably already members or will sign up regardless.

I imagine most supporters who see this match as critical will either have already signed up or will sign up.

The less 'hardcore' supporters probably won't particularly care about round one NAB Cup, let alone watch the game, given it's Sunday 8:40 on Fox.

Let's be honest it's a 40 point loss to us that doesn't matter.

Why people are concerned about the NAB cup is beyond me. Carlton won it then finished bottom remember? Means nothing (As long as the youngsters get a kick and feel some bumps and pressure from some bigger bodies).

I'm stumped as to why we are paying 3.20... last time we played we smashed them by 10 goals and we had at least 15 on the injury list. It's perfectly reasonable to assume our group as a whole will have improved somewhat over summer, and should get a slight boost with Sculgove being named. If this was in Melbourne what would we be paying?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Nothing game win or lose. The only things that matters is the team getting a run, the kids getting a taste and no injuries.

Sorry KS, I should have remembered it was Iverson.

This match means nothing to me, other than a chance to see the kids.

And some here to thicken up their skins a tad, just wait until the season starts and everyone is back - you won't survive if you cannot take posters being facetious.

I imagine most supporters who see this match as critical will either have already signed up or will sign up.

Critical to their own satisfaction of a win or critical as far as getting more impulse supporters on board? There is a distinction here.

The less 'hardcore' supporters probably won't particularly care about round one NAB Cup, let alone watch the game, given it's Sunday 8:40 on Fox.

Bit of a generalisation in the first part but I definitely don't dispute the 2nd part about watching the game. Sure many supporters may not watch the game but the main factor here is how will they respond to a win or a good performance when they learn of it? If you think that a win tonight won't have some sort of stimulus effect on our membership figure then I disagree - there is always a small component who respond to performance solely and I think many of them won't care if it is pre-season or not given they are that narrow in the first place.

Edited by 1858

It is ALL about Television exposure. A win in the NAB cup keeps us on TV. The more people see the Jurrah's, Scully's, the more the fever is likely to catch.

Although not critical, a win gets us another TV appearance and opens the team up to new audiences that might not have a team, or do not passionately follow the dees yet.

Your die hards will sign up with a loss in the nab cup no worries. A win helps us find new fans.

It is ALL about Television exposure. A win in the NAB cup keeps us on TV. The more people see the Jurrah's, Scully's, the more the fever is likely to catch.

Although not critical, a win gets us another TV appearance and opens the team up to new audiences that might not have a team, or do not passionately follow the dees yet.

Your die hards will sign up with a loss in the nab cup no worries. A win helps us find new fans.

That's the closest anyone has come to a valid reason why we need to win.

That's the closest anyone has come to a valid reason why we need to win.

If the net desirable effect of better TV exposure as a result of a win is an increase in membership then I beleive that was the point of the OP in the first place.

What a contrast today was for 2 struggle Victorian clubs, one CEO tomorrow will be beating his chest in the media after beating the premiers of 2009 pushing membership sales and more then likely will be playing in the semi finals of the NAB cup, whilst the Melbourne CEO may need to adjust his budget. It wasn't that we lost the game it is how we played, we need to find some form and very quickly or we won't pass 30,000 members.

Probably not.

In the end this match is no consequence, either for the team or the club. The last 3 years we have set membership records on the back of dismal match day performances. We will set another record this year. The team is set for a much improved year, we have better players than we have had over the last few years and more development in the 2 and 3 year players. Not to mention Sylvia, Grimes, Rivers, Moloney and Davey are all fitter and have all been serious injury free for some time now. The only goal that matters is getting this team into a position to win one or more premierships in 2 + years time. That is our goal everything else is secondary. Once we start winning season proper games on a regular basis (2011 - 2012) then the membership numbers, media exposure, team confidence, winning culture, increased revenue, crowd numbers and respect we want will all follow. This match makes no difference and your suggestion that it is Critical is to say the least premature.

For the record I think we'll win by 5 goals.

As stated before the Fremantle debacle ,if we did not do well our membership drive would collapse. Well we are only signing up at 300 per week against our required 500 and after a 40 point drubbing and the loss of Morton I doubt if membership will reach our budgeted 31000.We will need to show something soon to get our supporters to sign up.

As stated before the Fremantle debacle ,if we did not do well our membership drive would collapse. Well we are only signing up at 300 per week against our required 500 and after a 40 point drubbing and the loss of Morton I doubt if membership will reach our budgeted 31000.We will need to show something soon to get our supporters to sign up.

If they don't sign up, they can't be considered supporters then can they.

That match really was critical, wasn't it?

Looks like the club is going to fall apart now.

Where's that chicken little..?

(Just for those that aren't too sharp -- I'm being facetious.

Much like when earlier I said this forum is full of belligerent a***holes. I was referring to myself.

But some aren't so quick on the uptake...)

Remember little Calimaro in that european cartoon who walked around with half his old egg shell on his head so if the sky fell on him, he would be alright.

Dear God, it's March 1st and people are now predicting we will not make our membership targets.

Jim Stynes is our President. We will Reach our target and win games in 2010.

Please Relax.....

Remember little Calimaro in that european cartoon who walked around with half his old egg shell on his head so if the sky fell on him, he would be alright.

Dear God, it's March 1st and people are now predicting we will not make our membership targets.

Jim Stynes is our President. We will Reach our target and win games in 2010.

Please Relax.....

Glad your hopeful and I do realise Jimma iS GODLIKE.however the players and coaches aren't. I feel our NAB results have been close to pitiful.We as a club really need to get our act together-where is ROOST IT now?

On our trial form we have gone backwards lucky to win a game at all.

Edited by jayceebee31

Glad your hopeful and I do realise Jimma iS GODLIKE.however the players and coaches aren't. I feel our NAB results have been close to pitiful.We as a club really need to get our act together-where is ROOST IT now?

On our trial form we have gone backwards lucky to win a game at all.

That's a little bit over the top, don't you think?

Personally, I still think we will win more games than we did in 2009. Probably 6-8 wins.

I'm quite happy with our progress; whilst we've not had wins, we have still had young players stand up individually and show they have what it takes and more.

So... what exactly was it that made that match critical?

After all, that's what this thread was about.

Are you contending that we won't make 31,000 members and that it is because we didn't win against Freo?

The same Freo that has won its way into the 3rd round?

Just trying to clarify what you are saying John.

You know, otherwise you could be accused of being vague so that no matter what happens you can claim you were correct...

Personally, I still think we will win more games than we did in 2009. Probably 6-8 wins.

I'm quite happy with our progress; whilst we've not had wins, we have still had young players stand up individually and show they have what it takes and more.

Are you contending that we won't make 31,000 members and that it is because we didn't win against Freo?

You know, otherwise you could be accused of being vague so that no matter what happens you can claim you were correct...

I agree

Please note.

Richmond "thrashed" geelong according to the HUN.

this is how much preseason and NAB cup matters. Would that of happened in the season?

I sincerely wish I had your positive thinking. I feel we have gone backwards with regards our trial matches. We supposed to have our greatest pre season yet run out of puff against Essendon. Against Fremantle,YES I thought we would have had a decent crack at it to keep up the momentum.I feel we were very very disappointing and what we have shown so far- lucky to win a game..maybe we are planning to win in China in October and gain momentum for 2011.

Edited by jayceebee31

I sincerely wish I had your positive thinking. I feel we have gone backwards with regards our trial matches. We supposed to have our greatest pre season yet run out of puff against Essendon. Against Fremantle,YES I thought we would have had a decent crack at it to keep up the momentum.I feel we were very very disappointing and what we have shown so far- lucky to win a game..maybe we are planning to win in China in October and gain momentum for 2011.

But they're only preseason matches!!

Haven't you learnt anything about the preseason comp in all your years of watching football..?

The results are treated a largely irrelevant by the coaching staff; young inexperienced players are put on the field before they are ready, to help their development; more mature players are often rested; experimentation with setups and tactics are rife.

Cool your heels til Round 1.

But they're only preseason matches!!

Haven't you learnt anything about the preseason comp in all your years of watching football..?

The results are treated a largely irrelevant by the coaching staff; young inexperienced players are put on the field before they are ready, to help their development; more mature players are often rested; experimentation with setups and tactics are rife.

Cool your heels til Round 1.

Again I reiterate I'm glad your positive-- we will revisit say after Round 6. I just hope we are on the board---with at least one win. If we aren't will you then accept we have gone backwards.

Again I reiterate I'm glad your positive-- we will revisit say after Round 6. I just hope we are on the board---with at least one win. If we aren't will you then accept we have gone backwards.

I think we're all hoping we get a few wins out of the first 6 rounds. However, we shouldn't be too perturbed if we're 1-5 after 6 rounds. I can't speak for all, but I'm sure there are many that believe the list has advanced since last seasons list. A younger list stands today. One NAB cup and one NAB Challenge match with key players missing; blooding youngsters (1st & 2nd year players), etc shouldn't necessarily be confirmed evidence for "going backwards" from my point of view.