Intra club Saturday 13th

_becks_

Have to say that one of my most pleasing sights today was Col Garland spending some time on the ground. Played a very limited game (around 1/4 in total) for the White team, with some time spent both down back and up front (across the HF and HB lines) during the 3rd and 4th quarters. Whilst almost unsighted, another good step in his recovery.

Sorry to disappoint but # 20 was a top up player from the Casey Scorpions and not Colin Garland who is still building up his training regimen.

Luke Tapscott was out because of a family bereavement but he hasn't been joining in training for some time. One of my mates who goes to most training sessions and has contacts among the players is going to ask around to find out what the problem is (if any).

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to disappoint but # 20 was a top up player from the Casey Scorpions and not Colin Garland who is still building up his training regimen.

Thanks for clearing that up Deeman, however I could have sworn Col played as No 26 for the White team as I overhead Rivers say "lets go Col" as he ran on. Must be my eyes because #26 bore an uncanny resemblance for Col.

I think the obvious standout was Bell.... His confidence is already shot, can't see him getting anywhere near a game...

Joel McDonald at the start was interesting to, why would the Mahoney (coach of red team) allow the match of Mac on Spencer???? Very poor start for assistant coach, he better get his act together quickly aswell, we can't afford mismatches that will allow the opposition a couple of easy goals start, due to be slack...

Only injuries to report on the white team, Dunn & Hughes (cramp), great result...

Spencer's kicking has improved out of sight, he can only improve more...

With time Fitzpatrick is going to be a star, the pace he has is amazing & with time, he will provide a fantastic leading target for us..

Jetta did some very good work with the ball & without it, Bennell was impressive, but still has to work on his disposal..

Just a word on a couple of Casey kids to watch out for who looked quite at home at this level, I don't know their names, but no's 11 & 33 (white team), anybody know who they are?? very impressive...

I was impressed with the game plan being followed through with by both teams , of around the half back line / middle, on most occassions the ball was centred & we had players like Sylvia & Strauss bursting through for the handball & kicking to a moving target...

Scully & Trengove were each as impressive for different reasons, Scully played in the middle of the ground more & was very effective with his disposal (hardly off the ground for the match aswell), Trengove spent the majority of the game out wide & provided a option on most times (and was used) & his disposal is 1st class...

I left there thinking, well who is going to miss out against Freo???? Bloody hard decision for the selectors, About 35 players should be in the running

And I wasn't saying that you were - I wasn't disputing anything. I was just remarking that a no-frills game from him still gets four goals so when he he has a day out it should double. FWIW I don't expect him to dominate games but I think that he could easily kick a 3+ average per game no matter the defender. 66+ goals a year sounds good to me.

haha..

Not sure about that, but i understand where you're coming from..He's very exciting and he doesn't need a lot of opportunities to convert goals..I just think that its going to be a tougher challenge for him when the 'real' stuff starts, he's going to have to work harder to get involved in the game further up the field, because the opposition will wear him like a glove after last year's exploits..

Didn't play poorly by any means, it's just that I wouldn't read too much into the fact he slotted 4 today..

Edited by Benny & The Jett

Thanks for clearing that up Deeman, however I could have sworn Col played as No 26 for the White team as I overhead Rivers say "lets go Col" as he ran on. Must be my eyes because #26 bore an uncanny resemblance for Col.

Let's assume Col didn't play today. I'd be very surprised if he did. He's at the same stage of recovery as Blease. Throw in Bate, Bruce, Wonna, Watts, and Tapscott, plus the 3 guys with long term injuries (Meeson, Johnson and Gawn) and even the guys who get selected next week will have some serious competition for their places this year.

i forgot to mention Benny and the Jet. Both players had good pre-seasons and it showed.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed, although it got better as it went on. As Diablo Deeman pointed out, the worrying part is that a lot of it was fundamental skill errors and mental stuff to do with options etc. also I didn't get the feeling there was much menaingful talk going on. First hitout though.

Grimes: was everywhere, looks like a 5 year player

Green: quality finishing and marking

Strauss: very impressed with his disposal, will be a player I suspect

the 'Gove: very good, but I think some are going overboard, don't build your hopes up straight away those of you relying on these reports, 'best midfielder for the next decade' and all that, come of it fellas

Frawley: very solid, not much gets past this bloke

Jurrah: nearly did somthing freakish on many occassions, had the crowd gasping... was a bit quiet but still managed 4 goals as he has that talent to have an impact most times he is near it

Cheney: did a few very nice things, one kick from the def. 50 out to the wing was an absolute ripper, I like him

Joel Mac: showed a bit of ability on a few occassions, a good pickup I suspect

Bennell: classy kid this one

Jetta: I thought he was fantastic but he doesn't seem to be getting the wraps much

Scully: few good things, love those hands

Bail: kicking is still an issue, but he was the best i've seen him, got a fair bit of it

Newton: surprised with some good footy in patches, always keeps giving us a reason to believe in him. I reckon he might make a bit of a splash this year

Miller: good leading but didn't hold many of them, then again Warnock did a good job on him

Jones: was amongst t without making too many waves, as usual

Davey, Sylvia, Moloney: all pretty quiet, eamer has a presence about him, I would ove to have him around if I was a junior at the club

Morton: I thought he was awful save for a 10 minute period in the third. Not sure how much of a crack he was having. One unconstested dropped mark was particularly embrassing. How you could be tipping him for the Bluey (Hell Bent) is beyond me. Needs to do far more

Petterd: I hope he was on the turps last night, he was terrible

Maric: very quiet and comically butchered two easy shots at goal

Martin: very quiet around the ground but somewhat competitive in the ruck

Fitzpatrick: loooong way to go for this guy, awful kicking action, his 2 shots at goal were absurd

PS. #11 whoever he was was one of the BOG

I think the obvious standout was Bell.... His confidence is already shot, can't see him getting anywhere near a game...

Joel McDonald at the start was interesting to, why would the Mahoney (coach of red team) allow the match of Mac on Spencer???? Very poor start for assistant coach, he better get his act together quickly aswell, we can't afford mismatches that will allow the opposition a couple of easy goals start, due to be slack...

Only injuries to report on the white team, Dunn & Hughes (cramp), great result...

Spencer's kicking has improved out of sight, he can only improve more...

With time Fitzpatrick is going to be a star, the pace he has is amazing & with time, he will provide a fantastic leading target for us..

Jetta did some very good work with the ball & without it, Bennell was impressive, but still has to work on his disposal..

Just a word on a couple of Casey kids to watch out for who looked quite at home at this level, I don't know their names, but no's 11 & 33 (white team), anybody know who they are?? very impressive...

I was impressed with the game plan being followed through with by both teams , of around the half back line / middle, on most occassions the ball was centred & we had players like Sylvia & Strauss bursting through for the handball & kicking to a moving target...

Scully & Trengove were each as impressive for different reasons, Scully played in the middle of the ground more & was very effective with his disposal (hardly off the ground for the match aswell), Trengove spent the majority of the game out wide & provided a option on most times (and was used) & his disposal is 1st class...

I left there thinking, well who is going to miss out against Freo???? Bloody hard decision for the selectors, About 35 players should be in the running

I mentioned in my match report earlier that Davey did not play 2nd half and was limping noticably! I hope it was just a precautionaty move but he was clearly limping!

Fair enough. You were there and I wasn't. I enjoyed the rest of your report.

You weren't at the game yet you comment ? ITYAFBCSS

Jurrah was very ordinary. He kicked a couple late, but was off his game today.

Sylvia had a poor first half, but worked his way into it.

Morton was a disaster until half time, dropping sitters, terrible foot disposal, and fumbling ground balls in front of oncoming traffic, but improved immeasurably in the second half. He looked like a different player.

Scully was rusty. Lots of his work will go unnoticed. Played well.

Bennell is going to have a great year. He'll make the odd error under pressure, but I'm about to draft him in to my DT.

Green will kick 40-50 goals this year.

Joel MacDonald is a good pick up. Just a solid player who'll take many kickouts.

Frawley was second best on ground. He'll become the premier full back of the league and AA. Rivers was solid and looked confident again.

I thought Strauss was better than most posting here.

Grimes was very good and got a lot of it. He made a couple of skill errors, but makes up for it shortly after.

Let's note that a lot of the mistakes were from the Casey listed players. I've seen intra-club matches for years and this was better than the last few. I thought the standard was very good.

## Oh yes, Trengove. No hyperbole, no hubris, etc. Make no mistake, this guy is the best player at the football club. He's the best midfielder I've seen since Flower - I'm happy to go early. For some of the older supporters - he's better than a young Gerard Healy.

I mentioned in my match report earlier that Davey did not play 2nd half and was limping noticably! I hope it was just a precautionaty move but he was clearly limping!

No problem there, I was standing behind Davey in the last quarter while he was enjoying himself relaxing & chatting to the guys on the bench ( no ice, bandages or other vices), you can rest easy on that one...

PS. #11 whoever he was was one of the BOG

Which one? There were two of them, both top-ups from Casey.

## Oh yes, Trengove. No hyperbole, no hubris, etc. Make no mistake, this guy is the best player at the football club. He's the best midfielder I've seen since Flower - I'm happy to go early. For some of the older supporters - he's better than a young Gerard Healy.

He did however butcher an easy goal. Running in, directly in front and he decided to dribble it. Missed by a whisker.

Funny you should mention Gerard Healy. In the last quarter my Dad stated that Trengove reminded him very much of a young Healy. Let's hope he doesnt bugger off to Sydney chasing a big bundle of cash when about to hit his peak!

ok here are my notes form todays game.

I am surprised I must say from the negative backlash from posters today on skill level and certain players. I was out at Casey last year when Aussie was BOG and how times have changed. It was clearly better than last year.

One year later and i made the trip down again and I thought I would watch the new recruits specifically and here is my report:

Bennell - one of the best today, seemed to be in amongst it a lot, very fit and very evasive. When he dodges and it comes off, it created a huge advantage for his team. When he got caught, the turnover was the exact opposite, He succeded many times, failed only a couple. Top marks

Scully - unsighted early on a wing, came into his own, especially when moved into the middle. complete natural, fast hands, excellent skills and reading of the play, only hampered by the club playing him outside the guts most of the time. once on ball he showed he is a great reader of the play. Played on a confident Trengove in the last quarter on the outer wing. When they were about to bounce he sprinted off Trengove to half back, playing the odds the opposition ruckman / midfield would win the clearance. A confident Trengove stayed put but looked on. Scully was right, he ended up where the ball was.

Grimes - bigger then I thought was second BOG and didn't put a foot wrong really. Reports I read of him stuffing up were early in the first quarter are a bit harsh were hardly damaging to his team. Overall he was EXCELLENT.

Cheney - Solid. Uses his body well and seems to do the right things.

Strauss - A little disappointing for me. He uses it well but did not seem to impose himself enough. Beautiful kick, but not quite convinced as yet.

Maric - People bag him, but looks fit, got more of the ball than most think but was part of team that was getting slaughtered early on. little disappointed he didn't impose himself a lot, but 2 or 3 goals showed his class.

Trengove - Easily the pick of the youngsters. NOBODY last year had the crowd in ooohs and aaahss, the closest being Aussie. Jurrah had them clapping and applauding in pieces, but Trengove had the crowd oooohing and aaaring with everything he did. Must say it was impressive today. I've seen his highlights reel, and today showed that agian. i was a nice surprise. Marking, evasiveness, composure and most importantly kicking skills were superb. Should we get excited ? answer = Yes.

Gysberts - Surprised he looked tall but quite skinny. no great presence, but seemed to find himself in the action a lot and just doesn't fumble much. Very clean but didn't stand out. Seems a good reader of the play.

Wonaeamirri - stood near him in the crowd on the outer wing and looks quite unfit to me. Surprising because I reckon he was BOG and look fit and very conditioned last year. Sounds harsh, but he is just not fit enough at the moment. Weird given where he was 12 months ago. (a full year of injuries though).

Morton- Good by the end but poor early. Doesn't have that physical body language of someone about to take it to the next level. sounds funny but you know when some are about to go the next level. He isn't. On todays performance that is, but still expect another good year.

Mckenzie - loved his game. not always racking it up, but his disposal was excellent IMO. hope he gets promoted off the rookie list this year.

Frawley - Excellent, just excellent. Great defensively 1 on 1, fast rebounding as well, and becoming a general down back along with Grimes.

Martin - very disappointing for me. heard he had a full pre-season but lacked confience early and Jamar smashed him in the ruck. Did a couple of good things late in the match though he was ordinary as a ruckman.

Edited by Bay Riffin

I'm sure all you wonderful Demons fans will enjoy the game at Casey. Up here in Nth NSW we greatly appreciate the feedback we get on Demonland. Enjoy the game.

As are us from sunny, hot, humid Queensland. Is that you big Bob?????

Maric looks like he works really hard for his kicks and was working his but off today but just couldn't seem to find a huge amount of space, wouldn't write him off yet as he does look a lot fitter. Not sure he has a turn of pace though.

I agree with you're comments about Maric. Whilst he doesn't have great pace or rack up huge posessions, he has a knack for finding himself in the right position (especially when crumming) and thought he could have had 4 or 5 from his chances today.

The thing that should not be forgotten is just what a success the move to Casey Fields has been. For all this talk of it being too far away, I don't remember an intra-club match with that much interest and the crowd was a good size with a great atmosphere.

It would also be interesting to see what effect yesterday's events have had on membership sales. I assume they were selling yesterday but also I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of a surge in interest following on from the performances of Trengove and Scully, Frawley and Grimes.

with regards to maric, he was regarded as one of ,if not the best kick of all the kids picked up that draft. lets hope he was just having a bad day with the boot.

He was a shocking kick in the one match I saw him play last year as well. It's just a guess, but I think it's a combination of nerves and confidence. He misses because he's nervous, which causes his confidence to drop, which increases his nerves...

He needs to get his head right in a hurry or he'll find himself overtaken by the other young players coming through.

He was a shocking kick in the one match I saw him play last year as well. It's just a guess, but I think it's a combination of nerves and confidence. He misses because he's nervous, which causes his confidence to drop, which increases his nerves...

He needs to get his head right in a hurry or he'll find himself overtaken by the other young players coming through.

I strongly urge people take a step backward before condemming Maric. The guy is incredibly young, has battled injury and is clearly improving his fitness and his size. I think he'll have many eating their words. We are way to quick to condemn. Remember what duds Frawley and Garland were.

I strongly urge people take a step backward before condemming Maric. The guy is incredibly young, has battled injury and is clearly improving his fitness and his size. I think he'll have many eating their words. We are way to quick to condemn. Remember what duds Frawley and Garland were.

I was there and saw that Maric's disposal was absolutely diabolical on the day, but logically, if that has been seen as a major strength of his in the past, it should then be fixed relatively easily.

I'd be much more concerned for him if he could still kick, yet was not fit enough to keep up and didn't go in hard enough.

Fortunately, this is not the case.

He's still only 19 fcs, give the kid some time.

i was also there with my wife and kids it was my first intra club match and first visit to Casey......

My thoughts:

I was very impressed with the amount of Red and Blue fans that turned out, and some very nice people whome i had a chat too unfortunately i didnt seem to bump into any fellow demonlanders (but my wife said she over heard others talking about demonland).

The Surface IMO is first class would be a pleasure to train and play on.

The Facilities are generally pretty good the new grandstand will look pretty neat once finished. I assume they are going too have a first class Gym and other Training facilities with in these rooms??

The game again in my opinion was pretty good as far as an intra club match go's. There are alot of critical people on here and i understand some of there views however lets not get carried away it is only a match simulation getting the players ready for the real deal. Some of the underperformers (as written about) should get a chance to proove there worth before round 1 and if they can't show something in the next series of practice matches there seems to be a number of players really making there claims.

Just to pick out some of the positives rather than negatives from what i saw.

Jack Trengove is the real deal i am and have been a fan from when i first saw him in the country carnival last year. This young bloke can play and showed yesterday why he was the equal number 1 draft pick, he runs all day maked good position and reads the play like any other than add his near perfect skills left and right. Only very early days but if this kid reaches his full potential we have a genuine star for the first time in.......

Tom Scully runs all day, great awareness and feels the need to dive into a pack to get the ball out to a team mate for a young guy that is pretty lean and not overly tall its a very strong attribute, he did at times look a little lost but he is a kid playing against men but has skill once he developes his body will be a player.

Brad Green starred looks in good shape.

Col Sylvia i thought was great won his own ball moved well look very fit and strong.

Jack Grimmes i love watching probably didn't use the ball as well as he can but finds it, reads the play and is primmed to play were ever nedded

Cale Morton as per Grimmes but looked a little lazy at times he was certaninly notgoing at full pace

Liam Jurrah would have had less than 10 possies but kicked 4 goals and provided a target but lets face it everytime he go's near the ball its F@*%ing exciting

Joel Macdonald looked like he can proove to be a handy pick up and free up some other players to play midfield or forward

James Frawley was great and is ready to take on the Big boys of the comp,if he continues to improve maybe just maybe one day could be an All Australian

Jordy Mckenzie, James Strauss and co showed glimpses was dissapointed Tapscott didn't play he was one i went to watch keep your eyes and ears on him....

Most of the other senior boys were pretty good some better than others.

Great and i trully mean great to see the likes of Gary lyon and Jim Stynes there these two blokes are icons of melbourne, really hope Jimmy can pull through looked frail but what an inspirational effort to attend, i assume every single person on this site is a memeber and for gods sake if your not why??

Just a couple of takes with the injured boys from what i heard or they told me. Blease said he was still a few weeks away, Watts has a slight quad strain and probably a week or two away, Bate i am not too sure whats wrong with heim but thought i heard him say he was a month away??? Aussie was just rested, Garland and Johnson still recovering and Tappscot missed through family reasons?

Well thats my take great day lots of promise still think were a little way off but certainly on the right track