Intra club Saturday 13th

_becks_

I was there and saw that Maric's disposal was absolutely diabolical on the day, but logically, if that has been seen as a major strength of his in the past, it should then be fixed relatively easily.

I'd be much more concerned for him if he could still kick, yet was not fit enough to keep up and didn't go in hard enough.

Fortunately, this is not the case.

He's still only 19 fcs, give the kid some time.

He also used it very very well a couple of times.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also used it very very well a couple of times.

True.

I should qualify that.

For a player that was supposed to be the best kick in his draft class, his kicking at times was diabolical.

I didn't see any mistakes even close to that bad from Strauss.

But this is one isolated game and I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

My point was merely that the criticisms and the signs could be much much worse.

Like you said earlier: time to take a step back.

I stood right next to the whites bench. Davey did not play the 2nd half. I didnt see anything happen onfield but he was limping noticeably after the game. I`m hoping it was a precautionary move, but he was definitely limping!

Just want to emphasize how good Trengove looks. He is ready to rock n roll and will have an impact similar to Daniel Rich last year. Skully showed some glimpses of his talents but Trenners was clearly best of new recruits. Gys also looks pretty cool and has good size about him alreadyGrimes has stepped up another cog. Morton made some ordinary stuffups 1st half but was very good 2nd half. I did not recognise him first glance, he has put on quite a few kilos and needs a haircut badly! I reckon he is a big chance for the Bluey this year and I predict he will receive the most Brownlow votes of all MFC players. Lynden Dunn has bulked up! He seemed [censored] off the whole game however, disappointed with all the clangers all over the park including some of his own. Bennell is ready to explode! Green was great and must play forward all year. Moloney and Sylvia were solid most of the game.

Agree with others regarding skill level. I can think of 5 instances where players could have almost run into open goals, however they panicked and kicked points. Definitely needs to be addressed and is possibly a lack of talk from teammates! Tempo seemed to pick up in the 2nd half. They played 16 a side in the 2nd half, not sure if they did in the 1st half? This may explain why the tempo picked up with more space to move all over the ground. Plenty of mistakes, but plenty to be excited about as well.

Great to see G Lyon entertaining the crowd and interviewing Killa and Master, very entertaining. Even better to see Jimma. He did however seem quite frail and I felt he was really putting on a brave face today, I doubt he was well enough to be there today but was just being his selfless self and beating the membership drum for the good of the club.

I asked Davey if he had had a knock to the knee or something and he insisted that he was just "rested and would be right for next week for sure". I was also concerned and saw him limping slightly. Maybe club the policy is to reassure fans that they are all ok but he didn't seem to be bullsh1tting. So here's hoping that he wasn't.

Some pictures from the day:

img1511zc.jpg

img1500w.jpg

img1501gu.jpg

img1488u.jpg

img1486e.jpg

img1484i.jpg

img1463x.jpg

img1464h.jpg

img1458t.jpg

img1454w.jpg

img1436k.jpg

img1435er.jpg

img1423.jpg

img1411c.jpg

img1407g.jpg

img1401e.jpg

Edited by Pates

My comments from Saturday:

Bail – Played OK, but did not display any exceptional qualities to indicate he will make it.

Bennell – Has continued to come along nicely and I think he will develop into a player like Roger Hayden from Fremantle. His composure with the ball was a standout.

Cheney – Was OK, but I don’t think he is quick enough or skilled enough to make it.

Davey – Looked a bit uninterested in the time he was out there.

Dunn – Was serviceable. His kicking was generally good and he looks to have all the tools to be a valuable player. I think he should be given the run will role on Luke Hodge in Round 1.

Frawley – Solid game. Defended really well, but made a couple of skill errors.

Fitzpatrick – Moves well for his size, but is very unskilled. I think his best chance of making it is in the ruck.

Green – Top game from an underrated player.

Grimes – Was good in the midfield but not outstanding. (I think some of the reports are a bit flattering.) I would like to see him running off half back again this year.

Gysberts – Moves well and had no trouble adjusting to the pace of the game. Obviously it is difficult to tell as yet, but his kicking/disposal could be a source of future frustration.

Hughes – Moves well but needs to get more of the ball.

Jamar – Really had an big influence when he was out there. His recent development has surprised me.

Jetta – Played quite well and used the ball reasonably effectively. He lacks a bit of pace, so he needs to continue to use the ball well if he is going to make it.

Jones – Did not have a great impact but ran hard and looks very fit.

Jurrah – He is so dangerous when he finds space, but I don’t think he was really working hard enough. Maybe he does not have the engine. Perhaps he is best suited to play deep inside 50 with most of the other forwards pushing well up the ground.

Macdonald – Played OK when the matchup was right. It looks like he is probably in our best side.

Maric – Worked hard, but had an off day with his kicking. I am not sure he has the raw pace for the forward pocket, so I think he will need to get fit enough to play through the midfield. He could also possibly be tried in defence.

Martin – While I like the idea of him in the ruck, he was a bit disappointing. He needs to find more ball around the ground.

McDonald – He has clearly had a good preseason and is still in our best side for Round 1. I would give him the task on Sam Mitchell against Hawthorn.

McKenzie – Was quite impressive. Not sure he has the pace/skill to make it, but also not sure he doesn’t.

Miller – Did not have a great impact but still our best option as a power forward. He needs to play against Hawthorn to give us some structure.

Moloney – Was OK without being great. At one point he blazed away to a contest from half back, which was disappointing given his improvement in this area last season.

Morton – Looks a bit bigger. I think he will end up frustrating supporters in the same way as Cameron Bruce. Not hard enough to be anything but a flanker/winger at the moment.

McNamara – Has not developed much over the preseason. I am not sure he is quick enough for his height/position and he has plenty of competition for a key defensive post.

Newton – Did some good things, but the reality is he is too slow for the top level (both in the mind and physically).

Petterd – His kicking was poor. While he works hard, I don’t think he will ever develop the skills required.

Rivers – Looks super fit and in for a big year.

Scully – Was a little bit quiet and still needs to put on some size to be comfortable. Ran hard all day, but looked like he lacks a bit of polish by foot. I am not sure he is in our best side yet and I think he should be introduced into the AFL in the back pocket. I see him eventually turning into a Paul Licuria type midfielder.

Spenser – Started the game on fire. I still have doubts he will make it given his skill level/mobility.

Strauss – Did not really get into the game.

Sylvia – Typical Sylvia performance. Showed patches of brilliance but, overall, was good without being great. Hopefully he gives us more than just a taste of his talent going forward.

Trengove – Looks like he will be a star. He has great balance and skills and has a big engine. If he can develop a strong inside game he could win a Brownlow.

Warnock – Solid game. Still our best key defender for the gorillas. He is certain to play on Roughead in Round 1.

Scully – Was a little bit quiet and still needs to put on some size to be comfortable. Ran hard all day, but looked like he lacks a bit of polish by foot. I am not sure he is in our best side yet and I think he should be introduced into the AFL in the back pocket. I see him eventually turning into a Paul Licuria type midfielder.

You can work this out watching one intaclub match from a guy coming back from injury. Impressive!

When Scully's had a few year's in the system he will make Licuria look what he is - Yet another good ordinary Collingwood player.

I sincerely hope not!

My comments from Saturday:

Bennell – Has continued to come along nicely and I think he will develop into a player like Roger Hayden from Fremantle. His composure with the ball was a standout.

If Roger Hayden was white but still played exactly the same you would not make this comparison.

I agree, it was a worry and there was still too much overuse of the ball by hand too.

Overuse of the ball....I saw plenty of this in the Hawthorn v Richmond game. Hawthorn were just superior in effectiveness by hand.

See any noticeable game plan yet Clint ? ;)

Yes, it was an unusual decision. Thankfully, I'm capable of understanding anomalies.

That's good.

Thanks for the pictures Pates, Jarka. Certainly some great shots taken. Also, thanks to all for the detailed reports.

Overuse of the ball....I saw plenty of this in the Hawthorn v Richmond game. Hawthorn were just superior in effectiveness by hand.

See any noticeable game plan yet Clint ? ;)

It took me about one quarter to just get my head around watching players from both sides as I would tend to just focus on the red team, so I wasn't too focused on the game plan.

Nice work Pates.

I like the 5th one. TMac looks like he's about to eat Hughes... who looks like he's about to give birth.

I said it before and I'll say it again about Trengove. He's a mini-Cousins.

Mini-Cousins? For a start, he is bigger.

But I see more similarities between Cousins and Scully.

Anyway, I went. Was good.

Will post my observations tomorrow.

I was tapping away at my iPhone like a madman for a while.

Im not a melbourne supporter (will state soon who i support) but went down on the day for a look at intraclub as one of my best mates was a "top-up" player from Casey (will give details shortly)

I must say i was very impressed with the day. 3 years ago essendon had an intra club game at casey and it was not ran half as good as melbourne did.

Players that i thort stood out wer:

Sylvia, Moloney, Jones, Trevgrove and McKenzie.

Liam Jurrah is just an excitment machine and to see him fly wearing the number 24 would make Robbo smile.

Also spotted two carlton coaches in the crowd in Robert Harvey and Matty Lappin.

As for the Casey fields set up, how good is this ground looking. Concidering its being trained on my Casey and Melbourne the ground is just wonderful.

Incase you didnt know aswel, Cranbourne Football Club actually play there home games there aswel in the under18s Reserves and Seniors (every 2nd saturday)

Ok onto my mate, Tim Smith #33on the red team.

He absolutly loved his time training with Melbourne and thinks they are the best group of blokes going around, made you feel like one of them.

He also said that the club has a great mateship and everyone gets along with everyone! I had a friend play at richmond and said its all little groups of friends and there was no trust, Tim has said that Melbourne is a close nick group.

And just so you are all know Tim was the player who ran into the post at full pace. His shoulder is badly bruised but no other damage.

Good Luck for Season 2010, I hope melbourne can keep making those smaller steps and become a finals contender in years to come.

See not all collingwood supporters are that bad

Im not a melbourne supporter (will state soon who i support) but went down on the day for a look at intraclub as one of my best mates was a "top-up" player from Casey (will give details shortly)

I must say i was very impressed with the day. 3 years ago essendon had an intra club game at casey and it was not ran half as good as melbourne did.

Liam Jurrah is just an excitment machine and to see him fly wearing the number 24 would make Robbo smile.

Also spotted two carlton coaches in the crowd in Robert Harvey and Matty Lappin.

As for the Casey fields set up, how good is this ground looking. Concidering its being trained on my Casey and Melbourne the ground is just wonderful.

Incase you didnt know aswel, Cranbourne Football Club actually play there home games there aswel in the under18s Reserves and Seniors (every 2nd saturday)

He absolutly loved his time training with Melbourne and thinks they are the best group of blokes going around, made you feel like one of them.

He also said that the club has a great mateship and everyone gets along with everyone! I had a friend play at richmond and said its all little groups of friends and there was no trust, Tim has said that Melbourne is a close nick group.

And just so you are all know Tim was the player who ran into the post at full pace. His shoulder is badly bruised but no other damage.

Good Luck for Season 2010, I hope melbourne can keep making those smaller steps and become a finals contender in years to come.

Nice wrap up mate thanks. If an outsider can see the Improvement all through the club then it is starting to shine

Hopefully Round 2 will be a Tough hard game with a big crowd

Thanks again.

Thanks for your post Kid its great too get an outside point of view as most on here are pretty one eyed..... most of my mates don't rate melbourne and never have (which i understand) but i now feel confident enough in telling them i belive this group is IMO building towards a flag rather than trying the quick fix.

Was standing right behind the goals when this happened and thought the kid was gone. Hit very hard and took a minute to get up, but fair play to him he kept going and ran out the game well. Saw him take another big hit in the last quarter and keep going so clearly he's got a lot of heart. Very glad to hear he's alright.

thanks for all of the above and your genuine good wishes.. mate Im Married to not just a Colingwood supporter...but a Collingwood family...half my friends are bloody Collingwood.. It just worked out this way.. No, theres a quite a few decent maggies and actually will be sitting amongst a bunch of them come round 2 !! lol

Appreciate you can not only see an improvement in us but can be unbiased enough to let us know. Were hopeful too !!! ;)

now, we shall resume normal relations..

Go DEES....boo the filth !! hehehe

>:~))

Bbub

Didn't you say at one point that Trengove was not worth a top 20 pick in the 08 draft. Haha, good to see you have changed your tune

Ummm. No. Never said that.

If I remember correctly I said I doubted he would be top2. But not top 20? Hell no. Besides... just commenting on a predicted position in a draft doesn't mean I don't rate him. If you bothered to actually read between the lines and try to figure out what I MEANT, I was commenting on the vagaries of the drafting system. And that 2009 is widely regarded to have been a skinny draft. Something that every "professional" footy commentator and recruiter has said is the truth.

But don't let that get in your way. :D

Mini-Cousins? For a start, he is bigger.

But I see more similarities between Cousins and Scully.

Ok pedantic. I meant mini cos he is actually smaller (at the moment, physically) and because he's younger. The comparison, if you must know, comes from how hard at it he is, his engine, courage running into brick walls, kicking skill, and his general ball magnetism. Also posture, he seems to run upright with his eyes wide open looking for his next target. Cousins was also similarly good at finding a lot of the pill at a young age. Came through the junior system and his early years in the AFL with HUGE wraps, and unlike so many, he didn't disappoint. Well... on field anyway.

Also, Scully moves, kicks and handballs nothing like Cousins. Benny is a sensational kick over all distances, Scully while clever has that up and under shape. Tom, to me, looks zippier and more evasive than Cousins, who loves to take a hit (and dish off) as much as evade one. Also, Ben's a good handball. Scully is an UNBELIEVABLE handball.

Edited by Dappa Dan

Also posture, he seems to run upright with his eyes wide open looking for his next target.

Well I'll be Dammed, he runs upright with his eyes open. Thats some fine observation there champ, keep it up and you might get to join those commentators and recruiters you admire so much!

Well I'll be Dammed, he runs upright with his eyes open. Thats some fine observation there champ, keep it up and you might get to join those commentators and recruiters you admire so much!

That is pretty funny Dappa though I know where you are coming from.

I would be spewing if we wasted our number 2 pick on a bloke who ran around on his hands and knees with his eyes shut.

Edited by dandeeman