Benny and the Jet

Roost It

Bennell and Jetta are two players whom we don't talk enough about. I seriously rate both of them and would expect them to become important players for the club going forward. Jamie Bennell already has the best part of a season under his belt and rarely looked out of place. His game against West Coast over there was as good a game you could expect from an undersized first year player. Neville Jetta, although not as impressive still showed he had what it takes to play AFL. Hopefully the puppy fat has left him during this preseason and he can take his game to another level. His marking ability and appetite for the contest will make him very handy forward of the middle. With Bennell and Strauss working of half back and with the talent recruited through the middle a golden age beckons. Other players who I expect big things from are Ricky Petterd, Nathan Jones and Brad Green

Bennell and Jetta are two players whom we don't talk enough about. I seriously rate both of them and would expect them to become important players for the club going forward. Jamie Bennell already has the best part of a season under his belt and rarely looked out of place. His game against West Coast over there was as good a game you could expect from an undersized first year player. Neville Jetta, although not as impressive still showed he had what it takes to play AFL. Hopefully the puppy fat has left him during this preseason and he can take his game to another level. His marking ability and appetite for the contest will make him very handy forward of the middle. With Bennell and Strauss working of half back and with the talent recruited through the middle a golden age beckons. Other players who I expect big things from are Ricky Petterd, Nathan Jones and Brad Green

At the end of the season Jetta actually impressed me more than Bennell, which was a shock.

Nearly every single time he takes a mark he wheels around, spots a target and hits it before the opposition defenders can react.

A massively underrated ability.

yep, although i'm nopt convinced they will be in our plans going forward, with some other quality talent set to come into the side, I was impressed by two reasonably low (high?) draft picks coming straight into the side, and showing really good signs as both of you have mentioned. I loved Bennell's run, and Jetta is a bit of an excitement machine who looks ready to burst.

Personally i think they have been impressive, can see them being apart of the future, at the moment.

Bennell show balance and consistency.

Jetta show flar and ability to take on the game, especially in round 21 vs Carlton.

Both could push in to the midfield in the future, maybe even this year.

It's easy to get suck in by the hype sounding high draft picks, but not all of the new boys are going to make it at AFL level, might even be a few surprises as to who does and who dosen't make it.

At the moment, i don't have my heart set on any of the new boys making it....

Personally i think they have been impressive, can see them being apart of the future, at the moment.

Bennell show balance and consistency.

Jetta show flar and ability to take on the game, especially in round 21 vs Carlton.

Both could push in to the midfield in the future, maybe even this year.

It's easy to get suck in by the hype sounding high draft picks, but not all of the new boys are going to make it at AFL level, might even be a few surprises as to who does and who dosen't make it.

At the moment, i don't have my heart set on any of the new boys making it....

even Scully, who was #1 draft pick since he was about 2 years old and is already one of the fittest blokes in the game?

if we can't make a star out of him we're in trouble

even Scully, who was #1 draft pick since he was about 2 years old and is already one of the fittest blokes in the game?

Dont forget this is Melbourne we are talking about .....

yep, although i'm nopt convinced they will be in our plans going forward, with some other quality talent set to come into the side, I was impressed by two reasonably low (high?) draft picks coming straight into the side, and showing really good signs as both of you have mentioned. I loved Bennell's run, and Jetta is a bit of an excitement machine who looks ready to burst.

They 'are' in our plans going forward don't you worry about that!! (but then again i'm probably biased!!)

Jetta should've got a rising star nomination for the Carlton game in Round 21 when he was moved into the midfield. He's tough, deceptively quick, uses the ball well, and is very versatile being a dangerous option up forward. An absolute 'steal' at pick 51 for mine...

Bennell is a classy type. I see him playing mainly in defence like last year, probably on the opposition's most dangerous small forward. He can also provide run and carry out of defence and will give us some quality disposal out of the back half. He just needs to adapt to the physical side of the game a bit more, but that will come with experience i think..

West Coast were determined to bring those to into their side with picks 36 & 52, but we beat them to the punch..Their head recruiter was really ticked off about it too, which was nice as they rated them as well!!

From reports, both have impressed in pre-season training, and Jetta looks likely to get more time in the midfield this season. I reckon they're a fair bit better than just 'fringe' players. I expect both to feature heavily in our plans going forward..

They 'are' in our plans going forward don't you worry about that!! (but then again i'm probably biased!!)

Jetta should've got a rising star nomination for the Carlton game in Round 21 when he was moved into the midfield. He's tough, deceptively quick, uses the ball well, and is very versatile being a dangerous option up forward. An absolute 'steal' at pick 51 for mine...

Bennell is a classy type. I see him playing mainly in defence like last year, probably on the opposition's most dangerous small forward. He can also provide run and carry out of defence and will give us some quality disposal out of the back half. He just needs to adapt to the physical side of the game a bit more, but that will come with experience i think..

West Coast were determined to bring those to into their side with picks 36 & 52, but we beat them to the punch..Their head recruiter was really ticked off about it too, which was nice as they rated them as well!!

From reports, both have impressed in pre-season training, and Jetta looks likely to get more time in the midfield this season. I reckon they're a fair bit better than just 'fringe' players. I expect both to feature heavily in our plans going forward..

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said here about B&tJ, B&tJ. Both of these fellows surprised with their unheralded selection, and held down spots from the first match of last season. Jetta may turn out to be a gun, I think, and Bennell a dashing defender. Of course they are in the picture for the future, no doubt about it.

Who's knows maybe even ("""SCULLY""")or("""WATTS""") :o

Hope they do make it though....

Edited by tatu

I wholeheartedly agree with what you have said here about B&tJ, B&tJ. Both of these fellows surprised with their unheralded selection, and held down spots from the first match of last season. Jetta may turn out to be a gun, I think, and Bennell a dashing defender. Of course they are in the picture for the future, no doubt about it.

Don't know about that - I predicted before last season that Bennell would play the first game and most of the season.

He's built for AFL and barring injury he'll rack up 50 games deceptively quickly.

Its his movement that was telling for me; he moves like a cat. Much like Michael Jordan did.

Watch closely how he moves; it looks so much more fluid than other players around him.

Both of these boys live near me & in talking to them, they left me with no misunderstanding as to their dedication to the task ahead. During the Xmas break they really worked themselves hard to get an extra advantage in the fitness stakes, Jetta in particular is going to make an impression this year I believe, as he has more competition for a position in the team. He has been told that midfield time is the goal he needs to prepare himself for & HE is ready to show he is... (You guys remember Baker (ST Kilda) trying to rough him up late in the season & coming off second best), well get ready to see more some real tough team play from one of our future stars...

Jetta is the kind of player that would thrive in a swift, fast game plan. Once he gets the ball, he never stops or slows down. Always turns around quick and looks for the immediate option up forward. I think that once we start winning games, getting confidence and implementing a gameplan similar to Port's in 2004 (always moving, always playing on, handballing game play - which I am assuming Bailey is trying to implement), he will be a better player. I am confident he can be a strong Wing-type player.

They are different types of players. Jetta is more nuggety (great tackle on Sandilands last year) but needs to work on his kicking.

Bennell did some interesting things last year. In the first game against Geelong he was one-on-one against Stokes in the goal square.

Stokes simply bumped him out the way, took the mark and goaled.

In the return match at Geelong they were paired up again. Stokes bumped him out. Bennell came back, jumped in front of stokes to mark overhead, then played on and delivered the ball to a target downfield. I hope he gets a regular gig this year, perhaps back flank.

yep, although i'm nopt convinced they will be in our plans going forward, with some other quality talent set to come into the side,

That surprises me. How many do you think ARE in our future?

(I would have thought you need a solid core of 10-12 must play players and a group of 18-20 who are ready to do given there will always be half a dozen kids who aren't ready and are in various stages of development, and then there's injuries to deal with.

I see both of them as very handy for the next couple of years and if they develop, indefinitely.)

Guest oldman emubitter

Jetta is the kind of player that would thrive in a swift, fast game plan. Once he gets the ball, he never stops or slows down. Always turns around quick and looks for the immediate option up forward. I think that once we start winning games, getting confidence and implementing a gameplan similar to Port's in 2004 (always moving, always playing on, handballing game play - which I am assuming Bailey is trying to implement), he will be a better player. I am confident he can be a strong Wing-type player.

was talking to a kid last year who played colts with both boys at swans. he said neville played his best footy off the wing

Chris Connolly was on SEN this evening. He was very enthusiastic about Jamie Bennell. Mentioned him twice and highlighted his speed and kicking skills. Chris reckoned he could be a big plus on the backline.

He discussed the new recruits and mentioned that scully and trengove would not play in all 22 games this season. They would be rested from AFL at various stages as part of their long term development (similar to Bennell and Jetta last year).

He also gave a big slap to Jack Grimes and added that Sylvia and Rivers both had excellent pre-seasons.

Chris talked about the rucks and the first name he mentioned was Spencer. Apparently the club has long term plans for him. He indicated that Jamar and Johnson had to prove themselves this year.

At the end of the season Jetta actually impressed me more than Bennell, which was a shock.

Nearly every single time he takes a mark he wheels around, spots a target and hits it before the opposition defenders can react.

A massively underrated ability.

Agreed, Malcolm Blight talked about this in the West Coast game. Talked about how Jetta wheeled around straight after taking the contested mark and delivered it straight down Jurrah's throat, which resulted in a goal.

I didn't get to many games last year but when I did get along, one thing that really impressed me about Jetta was his work-rate off the ball. Whenever we got bogged down on the wing as we came out of our back half (which happened a lot!) and the opposition got back in numbers, it seemed like it was always Jetta who'd make a second and third lead and eventually find space on the half-forward flank. Maybe I just saw the right games, but since then I've been a fan ...

I rate Bennell far higher that Jetta. Neville is a hard worker, a neat kick and I like his natural aggression. Unfortunately I just don't think that he has enough tricks for AFL level. I haven't seen him win a lot of contested possession which is important for him as he'll need to play midfield because his pace is not flash. He's too small for the type of player he needs to become. He could well be a very good depth player that won't let you down, but probably never dominant enough to command automatic first 18 selection.

Bennell, on the other hand, has very good pace and that touch of class that you need to have when the pace is on around your defensive goal. He has great hands, kicks well and is a good decision maker. Plus he has that ability to evade a tackler and break a line which Jetta just doesn't have. He's not too big, but his pace and elusiveness mean that this isn't a problem.

Bennell has a role that he can be very good at, while I worry that Jetta doesn't. In what position will he become an automatic premiership 18 selection?

I didn't get to many games last year but when I did get along, one thing that really impressed me about Jetta was his work-rate off the ball. Whenever we got bogged down on the wing as we came out of our back half (which happened a lot!) and the opposition got back in numbers, it seemed like it was always Jetta who'd make a second and third lead and eventually find space on the half-forward flank. Maybe I just saw the right games, but since then I've been a fan ...

I'm not totally sold on Jetta but you are right, his workrate is phenomenal.

Any way Cameron Schwab was on SEN a few months ago and he recollected how he was at the AA dinner and wrote MFC's premiership 22 on a napkin. He mentioned that both the Bunbury boys were going to be an integral part of that 22.

I rate Bennell far higher that Jetta. Neville is a hard worker, a neat kick and I like his natural aggression. Unfortunately I just don't think that he has enough tricks for AFL level. I haven't seen him win a lot of contested possession which is important for him as he'll need to play midfield because his pace is not flash. He's too small for the type of player he needs to become. He could well be a very good depth player that won't let you down, but probably never dominant enough to command automatic first 18 selection.

Bennell, on the other hand, has very good pace and that touch of class that you need to have when the pace is on around your defensive goal. He has great hands, kicks well and is a good decision maker. Plus he has that ability to evade a tackler and break a line which Jetta just doesn't have. He's not too big, but his pace and elusiveness mean that this isn't a problem.

Bennell has a role that he can be very good at, while I worry that Jetta doesn't. In what position will he become an automatic premiership 18 selection?

I see your points. But the thing that strikes me as Jetta is the fact that he's a real scrapper, and no way is he going to be satisfied with being a depth player. He'll just keep trying & trying to improve, and his workrate may well take him a lot further than we think. I think this intensity means that he's got a lot more upside to come.

Of course, these comments apply to Bennell too, it's just that his upside is maybe more obvious at this stage. I thought they actually look quite at home in our best 22 (with Jetta on the bench).

Round 1-11:

Bennell > Jetta

Round 12-22

Jetta > Bennell

Agreed. Jetta showed some real glimpses right near the end of the season, with some good field passing and real aggression. I still think Bennell will be better, but both showed something at different stages.

Jetta should play midfield, as that's his natural position. I actually think his pace is a worry for someone his size. He should be a rocket like Bennell, but instead he struggles to outrun average plodders. He doesnt have a crumbing forwards style of play, and to play him as a purely defensive forward is a waste of a spot in the team IMO. He is surprisingly good in the air for someone his size. Like it's been said here though, I'm not sure he has the body or skills to make it in our midfield when competing with some of the young talent we have in the mids (Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Morton, Gysberts, Blease, Jones etc).

Bennell on the other hand looks like he could be a great rebounding HBF/BP. His speed and evasive skills are good, and his kicking skills have generally been pretty good, with the exception of a few high pressure situations. I see him playing as a small defender, with stints on the wing utilizing his pace. He's already run around on a few players like Cousins and Akermanis to gain valuable experience.

The only thing with Jetts is in my eyes, I thought he "blew" up pretty quickly last year during games. Obviously understandable for a 1st year player so I'm really interested in seeing how much this has improved this year. As mentioned above his pace does not seem to be as good as Benny's so his tank will need to be improving for a number of years.

As to Cam's napkin 22 will be interesting to see how it has changed from few months ago to after the draft....

Edited by Cards13