TRAINING TODAY----22nd January

jayceebee31

I think the question has been, in which position? He hasn't really made any position his own, and i think thats why people view him as vulnerable. He made a couple of handy hauls as a forward in 09, and im hoping he can move on a bit from that to a regularly performing forward (the role i think he'll play)

You have hit the nail on the head Petterd would not be in my starting 22 but if I was to pick the next forward, back, or midfield inclusion he would likely be that player. He needs to step up this year and own a position and not be the filler player he was last year.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupidest comment this week.

Ricky had a solid, if unspectacular year last year. Kicked a nice bag towards the end of the season. He's in like Flynn, and many respected footy heads on here and elsewhere have him in our most important ten players.

Make or Break year? If it's his make or break year, then there would be 20-30 guys on the list in worse shape.

I agree that there maybe 20odd ,not thirty on the list in worse or similar shape as Petterd. However, that is not my point. If we could get a high draft pick for him , I would take it straight away. Petterd at best is a fringe player, most suited to a flexible interchanger whom actually would definately not get into my best 22.Also, my comment was NEARLY make or break year for him ,I say ditto to at least another 15.

Petterd a spare parts player at best so far. He has good reasons but must step up strait away or realistically could be trade bait! Not in my best 22 at the moment but could be with some consistent games early. Has to assert his class.....cannot afford to be a passenger in this club these days. Must force selectors thinking.

Petterd a spare parts player at best so far. He has good reasons but must step up strait away or realistically could be trade bait! Not in my best 22 at the moment but could be with some consistent games early. Has to assert his class.....cannot afford to be a passenger in this club these days. Must force selectors thinking.

Not in my starting 22 either but as a regular attendee at training this year I can vouch for the fact that he has not been idle over Summer and is looking exceedingly fit and strong .

Not in my starting 22

I think Ricky had a decent year last year as a defensive forward and i think the reason why he isn't in the best 22 for most people is that it isn't cool to have a defensive player named in the forward line.

When people list their forwards, it's all offense but someone needs to pick up and make Heath Shaw, Gilbee, Mcleod, Hodge, Fisher etc accountable as he is a good mark and wobbles it straight.

He's no star but he'll be a good role player for us and he'll look even better with stars around him. He's in my 22.

Edited by jacey

On the basis of where he is at presently if he is in our top 10 then we have issues on our list.

I'll clarify. I saw threads in the last 6-12 months or so asking which players we need to hold onto the most. I have always had Ricky in our most important ten or so to keep, and I was surprised at the time to see many people shared the sentiment. If you're inviting me to go through old posts and threads to prove the point, then I'll decline the invitation, as I have better things to do than explain this to one poster.

I think I may not have explained well enough earlier. I reckon he's hugely important TO KEEP. But when it comes to best 22s, then yes, he's probably not a walkup start.

Despite the odd cameo, Ricky has yet to string one game together where he has really hurt the opposition let alone maintain the standard. A talented player who has yet to deliver at the top level.

I disagree. I've seen him rack up plenty of ball in a few games, and he did kick 4, admittedly against weak opposition. If kicking 4 inside of his 21st year, coming into a season on less than 20 games, isn't hurting a side, I don't know what is.

This is, IMO a discussion on potential, where I think you'll find we agree. A talented player yet to hit his stride. Personally, I'll back him in VERY comfortably. For many reasons too. Not the least of which is that he's an ideal modern-day footballer. ie, unlike many young players who have big hurdles (eg. Valenti - height, Buckley kick and footy brain) he doesn't have any glaring weakness that would preclude him from a long career. I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a make or break year.

If we could get a high draft pick for him , I would take it straight away.

I think I see your point. You're saying that by being traded (or allowed to expire his contract and get snaffled by GC17, sort of as a sacrificial anode), he is therefore "breaking" instead of "making it." If we could get a decent pick for him, like any player on the list, then that's not really "breaking" in the strictest sense, as we would receive compensation. Breaking, in my mind, is being recruited, showing potential, then failing to deliver and being let go for nothing.

Petterd at best is a fringe player, most suited to a flexible interchanger whom actually would definately not get into my best 22.

Each to their own. I reckon Petterd, given the right position (forward IMO, but he is very flexible), would be a force. And given we have a lot of unfulfilled potential in the list, I reckon he shows more than many of the young players. What is clear is the club sees potential, and has backed him by giving him plenty of games. If we were the Saints and had nothing but 25-27 year olds all battling for a place in the side, then maybe I'd be more concerned. But he's a 21 year old in a side chock full of teenagers. He's going to be fine. More than fine.

I'll clarify. I saw threads in the last 6-12 months or so asking which players we need to hold onto the most. I have always had Ricky in our most important ten or so to keep, and I was surprised at the time to see many people shared the sentiment. If you're inviting me to go through old posts and threads to prove the point, then I'll decline the invitation, as I have better things to do than explain this to one poster...

I actually agree with you however before he had his lung problems he first played and showed real ability on the wing. To me this is his rightful position. I feel he has lost stamina and not developed further. As stated it is not his ability I question but his health.

Just for interest, this is my best team in 2010 what is yours

B:  CHENEY WARNOCK RIVERS

HB: BENNELL  FRAWLEY  MacDONALD

C:GRIMES   MOLONEY   MORTON

HF:  GREEN   WATTS   MILLER

FF: DAVEY   BATE   JURRAH

R:JAMAR BRUCE JONES

I:  McDONALD SYLVIA MARTIN (AND either Petterd, Jetta, Garland ,Maric or Dunn

And that is not placing any new recruits in the team-which they will be.

Await your views from Perth.

I think I may not have explained well enough earlier. I reckon he's hugely important TO KEEP. But when it comes to best 22s, then yes, he's probably not a walkup start.

To say a player in his 4th year who you do not see in your starting 22 is "hugely important to keep" seems somewhat of a contradiction. If Ricky has not cemented a starting 18 place by end of year it would raise doubt whether he will be with us in 2011. To be clear I think Petterd is talented but needs to find his niche and own it. I am not sure if that will occur.

I'll clarify. I saw threads in the last 6-12 months or so asking which players we need to hold onto the most. I have always had Ricky in our most important ten or so to keep, and I was surprised at the time to see many people shared the sentiment. If you're inviting me to go through old posts and threads to prove the point, then I'll decline the invitation, as I have better things to do than explain this to one poster.

People have a fixation that the GC will be a family reunion program for Qld footballers who have ventured south. Ricky is from Qld and too many posters have been suckered into parroting that he is MUST KEEP without ever defining why. And then again neither have you. He has been here 4 year he is not in your best 22 and he is hugely important TO KEEP. Seems like you have been caught up in the hoopla.

I disagree. I've seen him rack up plenty of ball in a few games, and he did kick 4, admittedly against weak opposition. If kicking 4 inside of his 21st year, coming into a season on less than 20 games, isn't hurting a side, I don't know what is.

This is, IMO a discussion on potential, where I think you'll find we agree. A talented player yet to hit his stride. Personally, I'll back him in VERY comfortably. For many reasons too. Not the least of which is that he's an ideal modern-day footballer. ie, unlike many young players who have big hurdles (eg. Valenti - height, Buckley kick and footy brain) he doesn't have any glaring weakness that would preclude him from a long career. I wouldn't say he's anywhere near a make or break year.

He has kicked 4 against weak opposition which in the role he played in FP. He finished off the good work of others. He has not made a position his own and his talents to get the ball are countered by his ability to torch it. A somewhat lazy player who I am not sure is any certainty to make it as a best 22 this year. And if he doesnt thats 5 years and still a fringe player. If that the outcome then the tom tom drums are sounding.

Each to their own. I reckon Petterd, given the right position (forward IMO, but he is very flexible), would be a force. And given we have a lot of unfulfilled potential in the list, I reckon he shows more than many of the young players. What is clear is the club sees potential, and has backed him by giving him plenty of games. If we were the Saints and had nothing but 25-27 year olds all battling for a place in the side, then maybe I'd be more concerned. But he's a 21 year old in a side chock full of teenagers. He's going to be fine. More than fine.

AS BRFE has said well, a player in his 4th year and is not best 22 really needs to step up to show his value.

If Ricky has not cemented a starting 18 place by end of year it would raise doubt whether he will be with us in 2011. To be clear I think Petterd is talented but needs to find his niche and own it. I am not sure if that will occur.

I don't subscribe to that theory myself but I agree that he needs to step up.

I actually agree with you however before he had his lung problems he first played and showed real ability on the wing. To me this is his rightful position. I feel he has lost stamina and not developed further. As stated it is not his ability I question but his health.

Await your views from Perth.

I see. Well fair enough. Personally I've been led to believe his long-term footy chances haven't been hurt by the freak accident he suffered, though obviously no-one on here is any better placed than anyone else to comment. Looking at him in training he's doubled in size, which would suggest that his workrate isn't suffering.

And yeah, I can't wait to see what he comes up with this year. That is true of about 20 guys on the list though. Good time to follow the dees with all that youth. I reckon with names like Tapscott, Watts, Scully, Trengove, Blease, Strauss all being watched as closely as they are, and guys like Morton and Frawley who are closer to his age, he gets forgotten about. Let's not forget how much he stood to lose with his big injury too.

To say a player in his 4th year who you do not see in your starting 22 is "hugely important to keep" seems somewhat of a contradiction. If Ricky has not cemented a starting 18 place by end of year it would raise doubt whether he will be with us in 2011. To be clear I think Petterd is talented but needs to find his niche and own it. I am not sure if that will occur.

Like I said, we're talking about potential here. Would you say Scully and Trangove, or even Watts to some degree aren't important to keep? They're not in the 22 either. Yes, Petterd has had more time, but it's all graded on a curve here. We are basing those other players' inclusion on potential as well, and I don't see how a 21 year old who's shown he has the gifts isn't a monty to be retained in a list as bereft of finished footballers as ours is. I also don't see why everyone thinks he won't own a spot. In a side like Geelong or the Saints, I'd agree as there's so few gaps. But at MFC circa 2010? If there was ever a 22 he could work his way into it'd be ours. Not sure why people are so negative about him. Especially when it's clear there actually isn't a complete list here yet.

People have a fixation that the GC will be a family reunion program for Qld footballers who have ventured south. Ricky is from Qld and too many posters have been suckered into parroting that he is MUST KEEP without ever defining why. And then again neither have you. He has been here 4 year he is not in your best 22 and he is hugely important TO KEEP. Seems like you have been caught up in the hoopla.

You're a fair dinkum clown and a blight on this site. I'm not basing even the slightest part of my post on GC, but well done for putting words in my mouth. And if you can't see why I claimed he's a MUST KEEP then you didn't read my post correctly.

Shocker. I have made myself perfectly clear in my assessment. I am basing my belief in him on what has been a handful of good games in his first 30 games. His gifts from what I have seen when he was a teenager, and as a 20/21 year old. If you don't agree, then that's fine RR. It would be the millionth time you disagree with a poster on here for no reason than to cure yourself of your boredom. But don't claim I've been "caught up in the hoopla" when I've made myself perfectly clear on why I believe he's important to keep. He's an unfinished project.

He has kicked 4 against weak opposition which in the role he played in FP. He finished off the good work of others. He has not made a position his own and his talents to get the ball are countered by his ability to torch it. A somewhat lazy player who I am not sure is any certainty to make it as a best 22 this year. And if he doesnt thats 5 years and still a fringe player. If that the outcome then the tom tom drums are sounding.

The tom toms are sounding. Give me a break. Were they sounding for any of the dozens of other players you claim are on their last legs, who manage years more in the system? EVERY forward finishes off the good work of others, and in that game, it wasn't his role to be our major goalkicker, any more than it was Chappy's in the Grand Final. He still stood up and kicked 4 coming off the bench! What more do you want?! 8 against the Cats? Is that what it'll take? You're going to be waiting a long time to see that.

He kicked 4. Sylvia, playing many games as a forward has kicked no more than four. Jurrah is only two months younger and has kicked no more than four (admittedly after fewer games and less preseasons). If there can be unbridled positivity about these players, then I don't think it's too much to expect to get behind Petterd... at LEAST in some smaller way.

AS BRFE has said well, a player in his 4th year and is not best 22 really needs to step up to show his value.

He wouldn't be the first, and he won't be the last that's persisted with despite the calls for blood from the omniprescent and all knowing RR. We've stuck with players who've done less before, and came through. Petterd on potential + what he's shown so far deserves to be in MFC's list, and given every opportunity for the next two years. And guess who agrees? The footy department. But hey RR, what do they know, right?

I don't know why I'm surprised to see you jumping on the back of an MFC listed player. Sometimes I wonder if you really do follow MFC. I don't think I've ever seen you support a footballer. Only stick your boot in. Hardly surprising so many people on here complain.

I thought he started off slowly last year but as the year went on he improved and at the end was playing good football. I reckon he was given a rocket and told to stop with the chat and get on with the game, which he did.

He will be ok and will fit in to the side nicely.

Petterd is a talented young player recovering from a potentially fatal lung abnormality that, without the quick thinking of a doctor, would of killed him. To suggest that he shouldh've shown more than he has is akin to suggesting Watts should win the brownlow this year. It's the non sensical ramblings of a bored group of unthinking posters. Petterd is completing his first fully fit preseason, has bulked up considerably and from all reports is doing well on the track. If he's not in our best 22 then I'd like to know who's ahead of him. Now off you go and ram a hole in your lung and see how long it is before you're fully fit.

Petterd is a talented young player recovering from a potentially fatal lung abnormality that, without the quick thinking of a doctor, would of killed him. To suggest that he shouldh've shown more than he has is akin to suggesting Watts should win the brownlow this year. It's the non sensical ramblings of a bored group of unthinking posters. Petterd is completing his first fully fit preseason, has bulked up considerably and from all reports is doing well on the track. If he's not in our best 22 then I'd like to know who's ahead of him. Now off you go and ram a hole in your lung and see how long it is before you're fully fit.

Roost It if you read the thread in full there has been limited criticism toward Petterd but an expectation that by the end of his fourth year we would hope he has consolidated a permanent position in our starting 22. This is not an unrealistic expectation of any mid sized player. Petterd made some strong inroads in 2009. Based on completing his first full preseason and his increase in body mass over summer he is obviously giving himself every opportunity to advance further in 2010. My concern is where he will fit as he will have likely extra pressure for forward spots from Watts, Tapscott, Maric etc... extra competition for midfield spots with Trengove, Scully, Grimes etc... and limited opportunity with our settled defence and likely inclusion of Joel McDonald and Garland off half back. Competition for spots will only get harder over coming years as our talented list matures. Where do you see him fitting into our current 22 and future setup?

I've been reading along re Petterd as this thread has developed and I reckon we should keep it simple.

This is not a make or break year for Petterd (that was in 2009) and he is highly regarded at the club.

The things to like about him are his dedication, his willingness to risk life and limb for the cause, his ability to make second, third and sometimes fourth efforts (doggedly competitive), his ability to take a contested mark, and the development in his ability to kick a pressure goal.

His only weakness is his lack of blistering pace... he isn't slow, but he won't be a significant mid-field option going forward. His best position was found last season... lurking between the half-forward and half-back lines with an ability to run with defenders to our back half and then turn around running forward to present a marking option.

Bottom line... He is a tough nut, he gives his all and he is a nuisance to the opposition. He aint going nowhere and he is in our starting 22.

Petterd impressed me when played up forward last year. Was surprised at how good his overhead & contested marking ability was for a smaller bloke. Also seems to use the ball better when played up forward, and seems to have a nose for the goals.

I reckon its a smart move having him train with the forwards, as others have mentioned his tackling and pressure skills are quite good as well, and he can play that Max Rooke 'defensive forward' type role on dangerous QB style defenders. One area that we've been particularly poor in is defensive pressure inside our attacking 50, and he could help greatly in this area potentially.

Miller is a joke of a footballer, some people are having a go at Petterd for not cementing a spot after 4 years, Miller hasn't either and is into his 9th year. I would have every player on the list ahead of Miller.

I just can't understand the Miller bashing that occurs on Demonland. I have stated before that he was a late draft pick and taken as a half back flanker. He is now played at CHF. He is a workhorse of a player who trains hard, puts his body on the line, protects the younger players and is a lead up forward. He is popular, a good role model and a bloke who gets everything out of his talent and physique. He is very approachable and willing to spend time with Dee fans. He is not a long kick but is a fairly accurate one over middle distance. Yes he is not Wayne Carey but who the hell do we have that is. Until Watts, Fitzpatrick etc demand his position he will continue to give his all. He has by the way played some very good football for us including kicking the winning goal a couple of times and a BOG in a final against the Dockers at Subiaco.

Maybe it is time that some people stop [censored] canning him at every opportunity and get off his back. Criticism is fine but this obsession some people have with rubbishing him is tiresome. I agree he is no champion but every team has players who are not and the Millers of this world contribute a lot to their club. He will retire in a few years having played more AFL footy than most and knowing that he got everything out of himself that was possible.

I just can't understand the Miller bashing that occurs on Demonland. I have stated before that he was a late draft pick and taken as a half back flanker. He is now played at CHF. He is a workhorse of a player who trains hard, puts his body on the line, protects the younger players and is a lead up forward. He is popular, a good role model and a bloke who gets everything out of his talent and physique. He is very approachable and willing to spend time with Dee fans. He is not a long kick but is a fairly accurate one over middle distance. Yes he is not Wayne Carey but who the hell do we have that is. Until Watts, Fitzpatrick etc demand his position he will continue to give his all. He has by the way played some very good football for us including kicking the winning goal a couple of times and a BOG in a final against the Dockers at Subiaco.

Maybe it is time that some people stop [censored] canning him at every opportunity and get off his back. Criticism is fine but this obsession some people have with rubbishing him is tiresome. I agree he is no champion but every team has players who are not and the Millers of this world contribute a lot to their club. He will retire in a few years having played more AFL footy than most and knowing that he got everything out of himself that was possible.

Great reply Redleg. Most teams have a good percentage of very serviceable footballers, and Brad Miller is just that for the MFC. He is a member of our leadership group, and there is obviously good reason for this ...... a fact that is all too conveniently overlooked by the 'Miller bashers' around here.

Edited by Deeoldfart

I for one am resentful that Miller has continued to gain opportunities after countless insipid performances purely because of his size (which isnt all that impressive if you ask me) and because he is a "good clubman". His lack of football smarts and basic skills puts him in the same category as players like Godfrey, ferguson, carrol and guys of that nature yet they were gone long ago. As you mentioned he was BOG in the Freo final but a handful of good games in 9 years really isnt acceptable particularly when compared to his normal standard of game which ususally involves a low number of inefficient possessions and no presence whatsoever in one of the most important positions on the ground. I dont think he helped develop the young team at all in most games last year.

Edited by stranga

Most teams have a good percentage of very serviceable footballers, and Brad Miller is just that for the MFC. He is a member of our leadership group, and there is obviously good reason for this ...... a fact that is all too conveniently overlooked by the 'Miller bashers' around here.

Miller is about as serviceable as Grgic. What is this obvious reason he is in the leadership group? Train hard so you don't have to perform on the field?

Miller got dropped for a reason last year and that's because he is bloody useless. He is the reason the club is on the bottom cause they accept players who play 1 game a year, ........................

Most players in all clubs lose form and get dropped from time to time over their careers, and by your reckoning it seems that that's they are all 'bloody useless'. Come on Stinga!!!