WELCOME TO THE DEES LUKE TAPSCOTT!

dazzledavey36

yes agreed. reckon he'll be given a high number to start with. maybe i'll get him on the jumper in a few years then. still deciding on what number to stick on my new one. i do feel sorry for all the people out there who got the 48 on their back. not sure the next number 48 will be as exciting. i spose it is convenient for all those robbo lovers out there though.

I've seen Tapscott playing for SA as well as for North Adelaide in the SANFL and I've also been impressed by this kid who is a real goer, strong bodied and hard at it. If there is an issue with him it's probably the same one that some people had this time last year with Daniel Rich. He is physically a kid in a man's body so he might not have as much room for improvement in him as Scully, Trengove or Gysberts. Needless to say, it didn't worry Brisbane and it didn't harm Rich this year. 

He looks very strong in the legs (they're like tree trunks and his calves are big) and it's no wonder he's a prodigious kick. If I were to compare him to an AFL player I'd liken him to Stewie Dew so he may have to work hard in future years to keep the weight down (perhaps Mrs. Tapscott could be imported to cook for Cale Morton). I'm sure he'll be given a training programme appropriate to developing his physique and ensuring that the club can get the best out of him. 

What I really did like about Tapscott as an 18 year old playing in the finals against men is his composure - very much like his Prince Alfred College school mate Jack Trengove. I wouldn't even be surprised if Tapscott became the first of the 2009 draftees to make an AFL debut. I've seen him commit to situations with great bravery and it's because of his courage that I would, without hesitation, give Tapscott the same number he wore this year at North Adelaide - 31.    

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Tapscott playing for SA as well as for North Adelaide in the SANFL and I've also been impressed by this kid who is a real goer, strong bodied and hard at it. If there is an issue with him it's probably the same one that some people had this time last year with Daniel Rich. He is physically a kid in a man's body so he might not have as much room for improvement in him as Scully, Trengove or Gysberts. Needless to say, it didn't worry Brisbane and it didn't harm Rich this year. 

He looks very strong in the legs (they're like tree trunks and his calves are big) and it's no wonder he's a prodigious kick. If I were to compare him to an AFL player I'd liken him to Stewie Dew so he may have to work hard in future years to keep the weight down (perhaps Mrs. Tapscott could be imported to cook for Cale Morton). I'm sure he'll be given a training programme appropriate to developing his physique and ensuring that the club can get the best out of him. 

What I really did like about Tapscott as an 18 year old playing in the finals against men is his composure - very much like his Prince Alfred College school mate Jack Trengove. I wouldn't even be surprised if Tapscott became the first of the 2009 draftees to make an AFL debut. I've seen him commit to situations with great bravery and it's because of his courage that I would, without hesitation, give Tapscott the same number he wore this year at North Adelaide - 31.    

im fairly positive they have decided to give 31 to scully

Daniher would have given his left nut to have got this kid about 10 years ago!

Ha.

I agree. I know it's probably being over-sentimental, but I love stories like this where best mates get drafted together.

Me too. The plus is, that they've represented their state together and they would already have an understanding of each other on the footy field, so too Scully and Gysberts and even Watts from last years Championships. Watts also played alongside Fitzpatrick.

Tappy will turn it on at the G from 60 kicking over defensive zones and crashing packs at half forward to open up the game for others.

Oh I just cannot wait!!

I like that. "Tappy" The commentators would have a field day. "Tapscott from 45metres....just "tap" it straight through the middle Tappy!"

Yes, I'd compare him to a Josh Hunt, but of the forward variety. Massive tree trunk legs, as you say WJ, and signs of aggressiveness in his game in the tackling department. That winning attitude, won't stand for any nonsense. Bit of push and shove. Love it.

im fairly positive they have decided to give 31 to scully

I think 31 to Scully. I'd give No.5 to Trengove myself. Perhaps No.13 to Gysberts, No.9 to Tapscott.

Edited by High Tower

Similar to my analysis on Tapscott

Scully will be 31 and Trengove 9 but nothing stopping him getting #1

Been on his bandwagon for months and really glad he is a demon

Agree, there really is something special about a Tap on the chin.

31=Tapscott

The plus is, that they've represented their state together and they would already have an understanding of each other on the footy field, so too Scully and Gysberts and even Watts from last years Championships. Watts also played alongside Fitzpatrick.

... Not forgetting that Blease and Strauss a number of times combined so well with Watts &/or Scully in the 2008 champs.

I watched some you tube of both Blease and Strauss again the other day and when you do that you are reminded that they are both very good players, it's like having a couple of extra top recruits this year.

Couldn't agree more.

I watched some you tube of both Blease and Strauss again the other day and when you do that you are reminded that they are both very good players, it's like having a couple of extra top recruits this year.

Agreed.

Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott. Watts has only played 3 games and is pretty much brand new too.

Thats a lot of kids that we have to get games into.

so happy we got Tapscott.. can see him being a crowd favorite for sure.. plus good move by the dees in bringing more security in keeping trengove around

tapscott = chappy or a white man's byron pickett :lol:

Agreed.

Scully, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott. Watts has only played 3 games and is pretty much brand new too.

Thats a lot of kids that we have to get games into.

Its also a reminder that we are a long way from competing at the pointy end till those boys get a couple of years footy into them.

I am so excited to get Tapscott. He along with Sylvia are exactly what we need. If our forwards aren't firing it is always handy to have players who can kick goals from outside 50 which will ensure we will not waste the ball chipping it to playerss having an of day.

i really hope they dont give tommy or jack the 31 jumper, it just creates unwanted pressure. plus there is too many players getting a game with high numbers. just give them numbers like 5 and 9 the high numbers just look messy i'd love to see Tappy in No.1 myself or neitz jumper

That would be a heavy weight to carry for someone whose already the # 1 draft pick IMO.

Watts seems fine with similar attention and famed jumper number, I don't see why Scully wouldn't be able to handle it.

i really hope they dont give tommy or jack the 31 jumper, it just creates unwanted pressure. plus there is too many players getting a game with high numbers. just give them numbers like 5 and 9 the high numbers just look messy i'd love to see Tappy in No.1 myself or neitz jumper

Tom and Jack are 1 and 2 in the draft, that is pressure over and above any number we give them.

If the club wants to underline it's history the further we move away from it then fine. I like history.

(Bastardised quote of 45HG16 in there)

I can't speak for Tom Scully. But if I were as professional as Tom Scully is as a footballer (ie. in Tom Scully's shoes) and were given the No.31....I reckon I would grow extra legs, indeed honoured to wear that guernsey number. It would not weigh me down, not one bit.

I can't speak for Tom Scully. But if I were as professional as Tom Scully is as a footballer (ie. in Tom Scully's shoes) and were given the No.31....I reckon I would grow extra legs, indeed honoured to wear that guernsey number. It would not weigh me down, not one bit.

If it were me, I'd make all the appropriate noises ("oh it's such an honour!") then get on with the job, personally. I'd probably also silently rue the fact that I had been forced to follow history rather than create my own, but get over it in about two seconds as I proceeded with the afore mentioned getting on with the job.

Exactly! Well said.

Its arguable there has been NO history with 31 for over 40 years.

I think JT would fill it out in all its original "Death or Glory" persona from those ancient times, in better fashion.

He seems to have that little bit of [censored] in big games that go hand in glove.

There is no other number I embrace at Melbourne. Just an age thing i guess.

The fear of a jinx with that particular number is my personal superstition.

He looks a very well built footballer for his age. And has played against men which is a huge bonus.

I think he will be ready to go Round 1.

He has the looks of a player who cant be beaten!

I cant wait too see him rip it up!