• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Another Luke Ball Poll

CarnTheDees

Should we take Luke Ball in the ND?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look to be honest if we pick him up the pre-season draft I’d be very happy. But not at 18 let alone 11. We can get some very good players who would kill to play football for us. Ball doesn't want to play for us; well not really he'd prefer to be somewhere else. If we pick him at 18 I will be annoyed but accept it. But I hope we don’t. I can see him leaving us in a year or 2 and all we will get for him is pick 30 at best in a gold coast/ western Sydney draft.

Look to be honest if we pick him up the pre-season draft I’d be very happy. But not at 18 let alone 11. We can get some very good players who would kill to play football for us. Ball doesn't want to play for us; well not really he'd prefer to be somewhere else. If we pick him at 18 I will be annoyed but accept it. But I hope we don’t. I can see him leaving us in a year or 2 and all we will get for him is pick 30 at best in a gold coast/ western Sydney draft.

I hate LB and his manager. I don't want him any pick.

He wants 500k for each of the next 2 seasons with the 3rd at 75k. That's because he knows he has at best 2 seasons left before his body packs it in. He is not quality person he is a sly dog. Don't need him he is a liability and total waste of our time. After We beat bombers an pies this year I hope our players go and ask him if he thinks he made the right decision.

He is not smart and lacks the ability to determine what's real and what bs he is being fed by others.

Bye LB we have had a gutful of you.....

I'm now over Luke Ball. I won't be arguing in favour of him anymore.

If the club picks him at 18, great, but I fully expect the Dees to overlook him due to Ball openly stating Essendon or Collingwood.

I'm also over Melbourne being linked to high profile players, all to no avail. Judd, Prismall, Warnock, Ball etc...

If the club picks him at 18, great, but I fully expect the Dees to overlook him due to Ball openly stating Essendon or Collingwood.

I'm also over Melbourne being linked to high profile players, all to no avail. Judd, Prismall, Warnock, Ball etc...

don't worry powelly give it a cpl of yrs at most and players at 'that' stage of their career will want to come to us as they will love the look of our list and see a great chance to get their premiership...our fd and football training facilities will be closer to being top class and sorted out.

As I said in another thread my hope is that it is all still allowed by the afl to play out like this when our time does come and players can opening say they will only play for melb and get away with it.

So Ball wants to go to essendon or collingwood, and Melbourne is being 'actively discouraged' from recruiting him, according to this mornings news.

That's OK. Now we know where we stand.

Should the FC still indicate publicly that we might pick him at 18? We could force Essendon to pick Ball at pick 10. This sounds like a strategy from 'Survivor'.

Edited by DirtyDees DDC

So Ball wants to go to essendon or collingwood, and Melbourne is being 'actively discouraged' from recruiting him, according to this mornings news.

That's OK. Now we know where we stand.

Should the FC still indicate publicly that we might pick him at 18? We could force Essendon to pick Ball at pick 10. This sounds like a strategy from 'Survivor'.

I also noted Caroline Wilson in the age has said Voss doesn't care where he wants to go he is going to draft him if he thinks he's best available. I suggest DB says exactly the same so it forces other clubs to go early.

Guest hangon007
I also noted Caroline Wilson in the age has said Voss doesn't care where he wants to go he is going to draft him if he thinks he's best available. I suggest DB says exactly the same so it forces other clubs to go early.

Very smart call be Voss ... He can see exactly what Collingwood are doing ... unlike so many opposition supporters.

Edited by hangon007

Just ask yourself what are the qualities we're looking for in recruits?

Wins own ball - check

Good pace/athleticism - No

Good disposal - No

Age bracket - No

One out of four.

We could add leadership if you like, then it'd two out of five. Still not good enough.

If that's not enough then there is the issue of his choice to leave the Saints. All reports say that he was told exactly which areas of his game he needed to work on to regain a regular spot in the side. Rather than doing so, he asked to leave a team which has played in one grand final and will probably play in at least one more in the near future. He has asked to go to a team with little realistic chance of winning a flag while he is playing for them but with very high quality facilities and lots of money. To me this indicates that he is unwilling to work on (or even acknowledge) weaknesses in his game and has instead chosen the soft option. Forgive me if I'm not seeing a guy I want rubbing off on our talented youngsters in all this.

Good post.

I doubt we'll pick him up, but if we do I'll be interested to see if the anti Luke Ball scibes around here will be praising him next year if he has a good game.

Of course I will, because by then he will be a member of the team.

I just don't want him to be a member of the team in the first place.

Well there's a flip if I ever saw one.

And you can add Burgoyne to that list.

I'm a bit surprised too. I hate the idea. I think that in ignoring our attempts at contact, and nominating for the ND instead of the PSD, he has given us an f' u. Yet we still don't mind the idea (it's now 15:26 for pick 18) of taking a bloke who has deliberately cost us a top 20 draft pick if he is taken at 18.

I feel like a broken record, not just on my own behalf, but on the behalf of many other contributors to this site. I guess the problem is that this seems so clear cut to me that I can't understand why others don't agree!!! I don't feel like this on too many issues. I'm fine with disagreement usually, but this issue really has us all divided. I've heard the "who cares?" argument, but I don't buy it. He does not have our club's interests at heart. If he did, he'd have answered a phone and nominated PSD. If we pick him now, he's directly cost us a top 18 draft pick, and I think that's inexcusable.

He doesn't want to be here. I know that, we all know that. Which Victorian kids in November want to go to PA? Should PA care?

Of course he doesn't have our interests at heart.

He has his own interests at heart.

I know it isn't ideal, but he went into the ND and if the club sees him as the best option - they should take him.

I refuse to let Luke Ball dictate the recruiting philisophy of my club.

So yeh... I'm surprised. Surprised that 15 people don't mind that this single player has put us in the position where we have compromised our just rewards for years of being in the doldrums and for having to go to the 'G' last year, hoping for a close game that we'd lose (which made me sick), just to pick him up. I don't believe Luke Ball has done this to caress his ego. I believe he's done it to tell us he does not want to be here at MFC.

If we pick him with anything better than 50 (which will obviously see him at the filth 1st anyway), we've seriously compromised our own ego.

First, we didn't get Pick 18 because we tanked, we got pick 1 because we tanked.

Second, I don't see recruiting Ball at 18 as 'compromising our ego,' in fact I would say that the most deflating outcome would be for the club to come out and intimate that they would not take Ball, even though our interest is well documented, because of the behaviour of Ball.

Oh, we're a strong club but when an old Xaverian refuses to meet with us and nominates other clubs we are just going to submit and say 'we can pick you up but we realise you don't want to be here, so we are going to overlook you whether or not you are the best option in the free and open National Draft that you agreed to put your name into.'

That is not what a strong club would say.

A strong club would have the self-confidence to say that 'this club is not where you want to be, but it is where you will be if we feel you are the best option. We do not take recruiting advice from you, we have a Recruitment Manager for that.'

I don't know whether he is the best option at 18, but I want my club to continue saying - until Nov 26 - that nothing has changed and they will take who they feel is the best option. I would be extremely disappointed if anyone from the MFC came out and, categorically, denied that we will select Ball.

He doesn't want to be here. I know that, we all know that. Which Victorian kids in November want to go to PA? Should PA care?

I would think that Victorian kids would want to just get selected. PA might be the least preferred option, but as a kid you probably just want to hear your name get read out.

I would be extremely disappointed if anyone from the MFC came out and, categorically, denied that we will select Ball.

So would I, actually. I'd prefer some other club to waste a higher pick than 18 on him, thinking we'll take him at 18.

I really don't care what we say or do, to be honest, so long as we don't take him.

Just ask yourself what are the qualities we're looking for in recruits?

Wins own ball - check

Good pace/athleticism - No

Good disposal - No

Age bracket - No

One out of four.

We could add leadership if you like, then it'd two out of five. Still not good enough.

Another quality that REALLY bothers me about Ball is ...

* Prepared to work hard to improve his game (see Scully/Trengove, and plenty of others) - NO!

In fact, Ball has preferred to change clubs rather than work on his game. And his choice of new clubs is driven by his perception that they won't want him to improve his game. If he came to us, we would want him to work on his game!

The perfect result for us is for Essendon to take him at 10.

Another quality that REALLY bothers me about Ball is ...

* Prepared to work hard to improve his game (see Scully/Trengove, and plenty of others) - NO!

In fact, Ball has preferred to change clubs rather than work on his game. And his choice of new clubs is driven by his perception that they won't want him to improve his game. If he came to us, we would want him to work on his game!

The perfect result for us is for Essendon to take him at 10.

This is grossly incorrect.

Luke Ball's shortcomings are mostly physical, but the biggest single mitigating factor for his departure is a personality clash with Ross Lyon (according to my mail from a recently delisted saint).

Edit: and one of the biggest pros for recruiting Luke Ball is his renowned professionalism.

Edited by Keyser Söze

Incredibly, at this point in time it's 50:50 for taking him with pick 34. That's probably a good measure of supporters' expectations on the Ball saga ATM.

BTW Dean Bailey's gone o/s until a day or two before the draft. The possibility of that short conversation they might have had to sort out the situation is nil. Melbourne has it's answer and that answer is clearly "no". The thing is who knows what might happen in the future? Ball might be looking for another club one day, or a coaching opportunity or a business connection and he might suddenly find a door slammed in his face because lots of people in this town have long memories. All for the cost of half an hour and a cup of coffee.

I hate LB and his manager. I don't want him any pick.

He wants 500k for each of the next 2 seasons with the 3rd at 75k. That's because he knows he has at best 2 seasons left before his body packs it in. He is not quality person he is a sly dog. Don't need him he is a liability and total waste of our time. After We beat bombers an pies this year I hope our players go and ask him if he thinks he made the right decision.

He is not smart and lacks the ability to determine what's real and what bs he is being fed by others.

Bye LB we have had a gutful of you.....

Footynut, great post - wouldn't avail himself for an interview, says he'll go overseas if he doesn't get his way. Hey, Luke, Uzbekistan is lovely this time of the year! [censored].

Of course he doesn't have our interests at heart.

He has his own interests at heart.

I know it isn't ideal, but he went into the ND and if the club sees him as the best option - they should take him.

I refuse to let Luke Ball dictate the recruiting philisophy of my club.

First, we didn't get Pick 18 because we tanked, we got pick 1 because we tanked.

Second, I don't see recruiting Ball at 18 as 'compromising our ego,' in fact I would say that the most deflating outcome would be for the club to come out and intimate that they would not take Ball, even though our interest is well documented, because of the behaviour of Ball.

Oh, we're a strong club but when an old Xaverian refuses to meet with us and nominates other clubs we are just going to submit and say 'we can pick you up but we realise you don't want to be here, so we are going to overlook you whether or not you are the best option in the free and open National Draft that you agreed to put your name into.'

That is not what a strong club would say.

A strong club would have the self-confidence to say that 'this club is not where you want to be, but it is where you will be if we feel you are the best option. We do not take recruiting advice from you, we have a Recruitment Manager for that.'

I don't know whether he is the best option at 18, but I want my club to continue saying - until Nov 26 - that nothing has changed and they will take who they feel is the best option. I would be extremely disappointed if anyone from the MFC came out and, categorically, denied that we will select Ball.

I acknowledge your post mate, and respect you as a really good contributor, not that you'd need my validation.

I do see your logic now. I just don't agree with the conclusion. I think the points you make are valid though.

I guess it's a question of self (club) belief for me. You can only tell a person or a people so many times that you don't like them. Initially they'll look inwards and reassess themselves, and ask themselves the question of maybe it is the way we think or go about things... But eventually, when you keep piling sh!t on, the target will dirty up and become annoyed rather than introspective. I think I've reached that point on behalf of my feelings for the club.

I hope that explains a bit better why I don't want this bloke at Melbourne.

Regards, The Cougar.

Completely gone off Ball at the Dees personally. If Luke was really on board, he would have gone PSD only, he knows we're after quality kids with the high draft picks, if he wants to miss the train, that's his choice.

I just hope that he doesn't end up going to the Pies. It's funny how footballers 'gamble' when they nominate for drafts, and more than often get to their 'nominated' club. Who needs free agency.

I would be thrilled if Ball were to wind up somewhere like Brisbane or better yet Freo. I think this has gone beyond a joke. He is blatantly trying to manipulate the system to get himself to his club of choice and I hope the system hits back hard. If he is fool enough to put himself into the ND and rely on weak threats to get him to pick 30 and collingwood then he deserves everything he cops. And if he does follow through and refuse to play for a year, may it be the last we see of him at AFL level. The game does not need people like that.

I would be thrilled if Ball were to wind up somewhere like Brisbane or better yet Freo. I think this has gone beyond a joke. He is blatantly trying to manipulate the system to get himself to his club of choice and I hope the system hits back hard. If he is fool enough to put himself into the ND and rely on weak threats to get him to pick 30 and collingwood then he deserves everything he cops. And if he does follow through and refuse to play for a year, may it be the last we see of him at AFL level. The game does not need people like that.

Gerard Healey on 3AW tonight said that his inside source "Whispers" believes the the MFC are prepared to take Luke Ball at pick 11. Is this just Smoke and mirrors or would we be that stupid.

Gerard Healey on 3AW tonight said that his inside source "Whispers" believes the the MFC are prepared to take Luke Ball at pick 11. Is this just Smoke and mirrors or would we be that stupid.

until picks 3-10 are gone who knows what we will take. That the bottom line.

I really don't get what all the fuss is re luke Ball. He's never really drawn my attention, so maybe I've been dreaming of other things or i was bored, but I don't get it. Is he that good???

We have McKenzie coming through, the first 2 picks coming & Beamer, Sylvia, Davey, Morton, Jones boy, & others touted but yet to show their stuff.

Stuff the loose ball.

We need to win the hard Ball!

I really don't get what all the fuss is re luke Ball. He's never really drawn my attention, so maybe I've been dreaming of other things or i was bored, but I don't get it. Is he that good???

Ball is very good in tight places. He wins hard balls and tackles like a machine. He is said to provide great leadership around the club as well. However, he is also on the slow side and his kicking is not even close to the standard we're looking for. As far as I'm concerned he can go anywhere but to us and it'll be a good result for Melbourne. I just don't think we need what he offers and his games to this point make me question his character and wonder at exactly how big an ego problem he would bring with him.

Firstly, I've been advocating the recruitment of Luke Ball at pick 18 not 11!

Maybe the Dees are desperate to make a bold statement to the AFL community and pick up a high profile player at the expense of youth. Maybe they honestly believe Luke Ball at pick 11 is better than any kid. Maybe they're only seriously interested in 8 other players - and they may all be gone at pick 11. Maybe Scully and Trengove are that special that they more than make up for sacrificing youth at pick 11.

Although I doubt Luke Ball will end up at the Dees, I'll back the club selecting Ball regardless of which pick.

Jon Ralph (senior writer at the HUN) writes a more "pro Luke Ball @ Melbourne" story than Hutchy did the other day:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam...f-1225798382559