Picks 34 & 50 in a so called weakned draft

Guest hangon007

Guest hangon007

Are the Demons crazy? In a so called weakened draft it now appears we are going to use those picks!!!

Has someone lost their marbles!

or I'm I missing something has our assessment changed?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can use them, why not? Based on the new rules, if they're no good, we can delist them or put them on the rookie list.

Pick 34 is still a decent pick. Even if we assume that all twelve 17 year olds would be picked before 34, which is unlikely, it's still worth pick 46, and there's plenty of quality players who have been picked after that.

If we don't want to use pick 50, then we don't have to and we can promote Newton or Meesen or one of the other rookies, but at least it gives us the option to.

Are the Demons crazy? In a so called weakened draft it now appears we are going to use those picks!!!

Pick 34, and 50 for that matter, gives us the flexibility to pick up a delisted player through the ND rather than the PSD. Word is we are keen on Joel McDonald, as well as Thorp. If we waited until the PSD, we would probably only get 1 of the 2, but using a later pick in the ND, we could end up securing both.

My bet is that we have a word in Thorp's ear and say "nominate for the PSD only and we will pick you at #1", then we will aim for McDonald at either 34 or 50, with the spare pick of those two to be used as a "needs" player, as opposed to "best available" - the best available kid at either 34 or 50 is a bloody lottery!

I'm just happy we got rid of Newton! ;) If we do get him and Meeson back as rookies, does that mean they have to wait for someone to go on the long-term injury list before they can play seniors?

I'm just happy we got rid of Newton! ;) If we do get him and Meeson back as rookies, does that mean they have to wait for someone to go on the long-term injury list before they can play seniors?

We didn't get rid of Newton. And I'm glad we didn't. There's no clear-as-day replacement for him, and lord knows with our recent injury history we need all the KP forwards we can get, no matter how underdeveloped or crap they may seem.

As for promoting them, I'm informed on another thread that both players have until round 11 to impress, as one of our rookies may be promoted automatically at that time. How you read into this with Meesen's injury setback is up to you...

Back on topic, 2 shots in the lottery are better than none. It's kind of a question of whether or not we keep Valenti and Buckley vs picks 34 and 50 (or PSD picks). Personally I'd have clung to Buckley a little longer, but clearly the recruiting department has its sights set on players they feel they could pick up with the late ones... Thorp could be one... And I feel like a speculative ruckman might be the other.

On one hand I liked Buckley, on the other I reckon the club can't cling to a player they feel is unlikely to make it, unless that player is of a required type and is still developing, such as a ruckman or KP forward project.

The beauty here is that whoever we pick up gets 2 years. At this time next year there's a LOT of players coming out of contract, including one that will be taken by GC17. It seems from the outside looking in, to be sound forward-planning, given the landscape.

By the time we would have got around to using the 2 rookie selections there would be sfa left in the way of prospects. By cashing in our 2 rookie picks that were available to us and filling those spots with contracted players and using 34 and 50 in the national draft instead our chances of snagging a player of value is a lot better. I think it's a very smart move.

It's been talked about a lot that this draft is weak in the fact that the players that would usually be speculative rookie selections will go in the late round picks in this draft so that would mean there is very little of offer in the rookie draft.

It's been talked about a lot that this draft is weak in the fact that the players that would usually be speculative rookie selections will go in the late round picks in this draft so that would mean there is very little of offer in the rookie draft.

Or that clubs are aware that GC have first pick of the rookies and will need to get in first if they want any decent ones.

We didn't get rid of Newton. And I'm glad we didn't. There's no clear-as-day replacement for him,.....

Arguably youre correct as there is no other Newton...but in context as you want it understood....what is it , or what does he do , that we cant replace exactly? :huh:

The shallow nature of the draft is relevant when considering whether or not Luke Ball is worth pick 18 but in terms of opening up the opportunity to speculate a little more with picks 34 and 50 I think the delisting/re-draftig of Meesen and Newton makes alot of sense. Those who have been excited by the idea of drafting Daw, Temel and Patrick should be well pleased. Likewise those who have fallen for the idea of drafting Jack's brother Dylan.

We didn't get rid of Newton. And I'm glad we didn't. There's no clear-as-day replacement for him, and lord knows with our recent injury history we need all the KP forwards we can get, no matter how underdeveloped or crap they may seem...

We made 1 space available on the permanent roster at the expense of Newton, good enough for me. The reason why there is no clear-as-day replacement for him is because we aren't fully familiar with the non-MFC listed, Casey reserves players!!! I just don't like him in a MFC jumper, sorry!

I think KPF wise we are traveling ok, assuming Thorp comes our way (I have no opinion of him, never watched him play). Eventually (when all current guys are developed), we will have talls that can play forward in the way of Watts, Stef Martin, Thorp, and by all reports Garland can play there (I highly rate him as a defender though), and who knows, maybe Morton if he can develop. I think we will also pick 1 other tall in this draft.

Let's no forget, the drafts coming up over the next few years are compromised, not abolished. We will continue to pick up young players next year, and the year after, etc. And the trade period will be there, until further notice.

Let's no forget, the drafts coming up over the next few years are compromised, not abolished. We will continue to pick up young players next year, and the year after, etc. And the trade period will be there, until further notice.

this is something lost on many I feel.. We dont need to perfect the team tomorrow as there WILL be still opportunities to add to it. All other teams will be just as handicapped ( bar GC and GWS). We dont need to undergo major reconstructs as we have been, just fine tuning ;)

From what have seen Majek Daw would not be worth pick 100, I'd be suprised if he was picked up.

I'd be surprised if he was still there at pick 50.

If Liam Patrick wants to come to Melbourne (and Melbourne wants him), they should tell him not bother with the ND and tell him to go straight into the PSD.

I've allways wanted us to go to pick 50.

We are not in a position yet to pick up mature topup players. It's roll the dice, I say & keep churning through the U-18 youth. There will allways be mistakes made with picks & kids who don't come up, (Isaac Weetra) but others who do, (Colin Garland).

We must keep rolling the dice at the National Draft, and never trade away our early round selections.

Bailey is obsessed with the draft but at least they will want to be there that is the main thing even though they will more likely to never get a regular game. Get used to these high picks cause we will never replace the Newton's with proven players cause they will never want to come here.

My wish is to get Grimes.

Pick 34 - Dylan Grimes

Pick 50 - Majek Daw or Liam Patrick.

I'd really like to get Majek Daw as a Development player. I think this kid has huge potential if we can get 3 years of tuition into him. His natural athletic qualities place him above many players who have played many years.

If Liam Patrick wants to come to Melbourne (and Melbourne wants him), they should tell him not bother with the ND and tell him to go straight into the PSD.

Why don't we do that with Trengove? Then take Butcher at pick 2 along with Scully in the ND, and we're set...

The catch is, to enter the pre-season draft without entering the national draft, you must have previously been on an AFL list... Non AFL listed players can still be drafted in the pre-season draft, but they must have gone through the national draft first...

These 2 picks effectively replace 2 rookie picks. 34 you can't complain about too much can you? As for 50, we might decide to take 2 guys in the PSD - say Thorpe and McDonald. If we do use 50 its still not the worst thing. We got Jetta at 51 last year and if you say this is a weak draft then you can compare 50 to a normal rookie pick - where we have picked up many gems over the years.

Edited by the master

Bailey is obsessed with the draft but at least they will want to be there that is the main thing even though they will more likely to never get a regular game. Get used to these high picks cause we will never replace the Newton's with proven players cause they will never want to come here.

You are the epitome of this MFC sub-culture of patheticness that strangles my club from time to time.

Why bother?! We'll never win anything!

Everyone is indifferent to us!

No-one wants to play for us!

Our coach is awful!

Our players should be better than they are!

The Media hates us!

I'm sure there are more.

I'm not going to let you do it. The MFC is bigger than this nonsense. The club sees it the way it is. We have to deal with what is front of us, not deal with ingrained and nonsensical pyschological distractions born out of years of the MFC being irrelevant.