• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

break out year?

frawley for captain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest straussski

i think nathan jones will have a big improvement, i also think that james strauss will be a gun and hope he does well and plays alot of games.aaron davey will be all australian and jurrah wil kick 35+

Edited by straussski

Very proud of my fellow lander here. Only one mention of Watts, and even that was qualified.

Pleased no-one's expecting TOO much from him next year, as I think it's there, but is a couple of years off just yet.

If we're talking glimpses, we're going to see excitement all over the place, and I think just about every week will have a 5 minute hero who'll have us all pumped...

As for players who come into All Australian calculations, and just generally become forces to be reckoned with...

I'm gonna saaaay... Frawley.

I've seen enough glimpses of Watts to feel very confident of his future.

Over the next few years I will expect to see those glimpses slowly mould into extended periods of time.

So many on our list to be excited about I can hardly contain myself. Bloody off season.

he will kick 30+ Goals next year,

If Newton is playing AFL, he is getting development that another player should be.

That player being the one honoured in your avatar and incorporated into your username.

Watts kicking 10 goals in 15 games next year is worth more to our future than Newton kicking 30 goals from 15 games.

So I will ask the inevitable question; why do you want us to fail and why do you hate your country?

OK, that was an unfair question, possibly.

But I stand by my desire to put games into the right players next year, even if it means fewer wins.

Bugger me! If half of those mentioned above deliver as predicted in 2010, we will play finals! It is indeed an exciting time to be a Melbourne member. The brightness of our prospects are hardly given a seconds thought by the football media and supporters of other teams, but with a half reasonable draw, and a reasonable run with injuries, I think we can surprise a many of them. My prediction (at least from the heart): the Dees to have a breakout year!!

Morton - 40 games in 2 years, just primed and ready to explode and become a headache of a matchup

Sylvia - already plays elite football for 10-20 minute bursts. If he can just do it a bit more often he will be one of the most damaging players in the league

Martin - remember he is still new to the caper and has some weapons

Bate - will look a heap better in a winning side, has been gathering tough forwardline experience

Jones - still just a kid but plays like a senior ballwinner. If he fixes his disposal and gets caught less he is one of most important players on game day

Jurrah - anything could happen. The mind boggles at how he will be going in a few years when the midfield eventually becomes an a-grade one

special mention to Wonna and Garland who were MIA last year

we get to watch all this next year along with the debuts of 6 top-20 picks and possibly Ball

next year is going to be a corker methinks

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Morton - 40 games in 2 years, just primed and ready to explode and become a headache of a matchup

Sylvia - already plays elite football for 10-20 minute bursts. If he can just do it a bit more often he will be one of the most damaging players in the league

Martin - remember he is still new to the caper and has some weapons

Bate - will look a heap better in a winning side, has been gathering tough forwardline experience

Jones - still just a kid but plays like a senior ballwinner. If he fixes his disposal and gets caught less he is one of most important players on game day

Jurrah - anything could happen. The mind boggles at how he will be going in a few years when the midfield eventually becomes an a-grade one

special mention to Wonna and Garland who were MIA last year

we get to watch all this next year along with the debuts of 6 top-20 picks and possibly Ball

next year is going to be a corker methinks

It's not a bad list and it not pie in the sky that these players will get better.

Morton seemed to get better every game last year.

Sylvia was a revelation that I didn't think I would see.

Bate found his feet as the year went on and looked like the talent I saw in his first year.

Jones found lots of it and used it much better. He reminds me of Gazza in that it took him a while to get going but when he did...

Jurrah. Where to begin? If he stayed as he was last year I would be happy but you just know he will get better.

As for Wona and Garland - just getting them on the park will make the side better. Anything else will be a bonus.

I'd like to see Maric make the next step. I really rate him and think he can be a very good and damaging player.

1st post for me....so here goes.

If Newton gets a game this year i'll throw up or rip up my membership......or throw up on my membership !!!!!!

Grimes is a gun and will have a huge influence in 2010. He is my breakout for 2010.

Other possibles below:

Brent Moloney was great in 09, ready to elevate into real quality me thinks.

Would love to see Aussie come back and have a ripping year......if he can get his body right over summer - he's primed.

Jurrah is the biggest natural freak i've seen at the club since my namesake.......could do absolutely anything.

I think we'll see Watts get more games and show his real quality....wont dominate but will show critics why he was taken at No.1 (semi-breakout)

Col Garland if fit will be huge for us, watch out for him.

Big Col Sylvia is ready to really dominate.....could really break out and be high quality all the time (please dont let me down Col).

James Strauss, forgotten draft pick, is quality and will show it if he stays injury free.

Also Marric, Morton, Martin and Jim Frawley.

1st post for me....so here goes.

If Newton gets a game this year i'll throw up or rip up my membership......or throw up on my membership !!!!!!

Welcome to Demonland 'freakovich13', but I must say that threatening to rip up your membership in the second sentence of your debut post is not a particularly promising start. No doubt things will improve!! Good luck.

Welcome to Demonland 'freakovich13', but I must say that threatening to rip up your membership in the second sentence of your debut post is not a particularly promising start. No doubt things will improve!! Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome !!! Hahha nothing like getting your debut off to a flyer !!! Hopefully my tongue in cheek can be seen with my membership comment.

Cheers and go you REDLEGS 2010

Thanks for the welcome !!! Hahha nothing like getting your debut off to a flyer !!! Hopefully my tongue in cheek can be seen with my membership comment.Cheers and go you REDLEGS 2010

Of course!

I think (hope) we’ll see some good footy from Meesen in 2010. Maric too.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Watts improve. I’m not expecting too much but I think he will benefit greatly from being able to concentrate 100% on football instead of high school. Calan Ward was in school in 2008 and this year (when interviewed after getting his rising star nomination) he said it helped heaps being able to concentrate solely on footy.

i dont know who will have a good season next year but i will tell who needs to if they want to keep playing for the dees

lyndon dunn

michael newton

brad miller

ricky petterd

clint bartram

paul johnson

john meeson

these guys also need to start stringing good games together but will still have time to prove themselves

cheney

macnamara

marric

spencer

martin

i dont know who will have a good season next year but i will tell who needs to if they want to keep playing for the dees

lyndon dunn

michael newton

brad miller

ricky petterd

clint bartram

paul johnson

john meeson

these guys also need to start stringing good games together but will still have time to prove themselves

cheney

macnamara

marric

spencer

martin

Betraying your footy IQ there, BA.

ok so this year the big break out player was obviously James Frawley. the kid will be a gun full back!

Col Sylvia also finally stepped up and Grimes showed what he can do but i'm expecting next year to be his break out year.

Who's going to come to the party next year?

My tip is for Morton to become a super star next year. Huge break out year for Cale.

anyone else?

Would have thought Davey was the obvious choice for 'breakout player' this year.. followed by Bate and Slyvia, (who missed some matches he shouldnt have, but still showed something spec..)

Agree that he seems to do something smart with the ball when he has it, most of the time does Frawls

Cale Morton on the other hand.. Id disagree

Just finished watching all the games again and for me, it reinforced my thoughts from throughtout the season. Cale has a bit of a task ahead imo. He's is in danger of falling behind.

Some of his decision-making and kicking in particular, has gotton worse if anything since he began.. and those 'Dinky' little 10 metre kicks - that often went straight to an opponent - drove me mad.

..and it was still happening at the end of the season. Will need to work really hard to rectify it over the next season or two.

Then theres his weight issue. Hopefully the nose operation from a month or so back will help him eat more / gain weight, as he alluded to in his article recently.. (dont know how it will, but hope it does)

Would love to say Jurrah will be the BIG breakout player next year, but i think he's going to receive so much more attention next season and may get caught up dealing with that a bit - will continue to improve you'd think tho..

Someone used to dealing with all that attention and pressure, Nathan Jones, IMO will cement his place as the Hard assed (geez he did some hard, courageous work this year,) reliable Mid, we hoped Brock Mclean might have been.