2009 Player Review - # 21 Daniel Bell

Demonland

Daniel Bell – 'Belly' had a really frustrating year with thumb and shoulder injuries. When he got himself back into the side against Port Adelaide in round 15, he was having a strong game before he hurt his shoulder. He's a strong competitor but unfortunately he had an injury-interrupted year – Sean Wellman on Melbournefc.com.au

Ding Dong.......times up (at Melbourne )

Good luck going forwards...where-ever.

Gee alot of you are really quick to show the door to Belly. We have given time to the likes of Sylvia and Beamer. Belly Has 1 more year on his contract and will prove you all wrong. Big year for you comming up Belly..big year!!!

Gee alot of you are really quick to show the door to Belly. We have given time to the likes of Sylvia and Beamer. Belly Has 1 more year on his contract and will prove you all wrong. Big year for you comming up Belly..big year!!!

Beamer could never get on the park and Col was a number 3 draft pick, we all knew had enormous talent. Bell's hardly played a good game and he's been on the list 2 years longer than either of those two.

Edited by BattlerBailey

Bell's a frustrating player. From the start his awareness has killed him. Some have defended him, citing pace, but it doesn't help if you can't use it.

I would have been interested to see him play forward (perhaps as a defensive forward), given that's where he played junior footy, but I think it's rather academic now.

Played the odd good game, including 'that match' vs Adelaide, but I agree with rpfc.

Yer another great plan by Dean Bailey. Signing a dud for two years, ohh he also signed Newton for two years. Great list management

Well, we need some people to cull next year...

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer Bell to be off the list, (Newton I still have some glimmer of hope for), but its not likely you could've got him to sign a one year deal last year, 2s generally the standard.

Did you have to yell that?!

Spooked the cat.

A pity, really looked like he was finding his feet in'07.

Not the worst depth player if kept.

That match against Adelaide was a ripper wasn't it. 3 Brownlow votes?

Belly had an awesome 2006. Beat just about every player he came up against that year. Never reached the same standard when that collingwood sniper nearly made him a paraplegic. Has never played a good game since. If he is not traded this year, he will be delisted next year. We simply have too much young talent to give him a position on the field.

Yer another great plan by Dean Bailey. Signing a dud for two years, ohh he also signed Newton for two years. Great list management

the plan may be to only have duds out of contract, when gold coast come knocking.

Beamer could never get on the park and Col was a number 3 draft pick, we all knew had enormous talent. Bell's hardly played a good game and he's been on the list 2 years longer than either of those two.

well given that belly was a number 14 pick as well (which is reasonably high) and that beamer had been a few years on the geelong list before he came to the mfc im not sure how good your argument is.

w/ regards to bell he was always someone i liked but who hasnt been able to take it to that next level. i agree his 2006 season was fantastic but he has struggled since the injury but he has had 3 years since then.

imo his biggest problem is his knack for getting injured in the most improbable situations. its not soft tissue related its contact injuries (maybe due to his lack of awareness). but i really feel these injuries have stunted his development and his ability to learn as a footballer, as he is often spending his time just trying to confidence back in various body parts?

will he make it? probably not. but he is contracted so he gets one more year to see if he can recapture the 2006 form. if he can keep injury free he may be able to do this, but i am still not sure there is a position for him in the long run as other tall-medium defenders have now over taken him (garland, frawley, warnock and martin) and im not sure he has the agility to play on the smallest forward...

With our depth of defenders and accumulation of star midfielders, I see it hard for Bell. That's not to say he won't add to his games tally. The writing is on the wall and it has been for a while now.

I'm a dog man too, can't stand [censored] cats.

Bell's a frustrating player. From the start his awareness has killed him. Some have defended him, citing pace, but it doesn't help if you can't use it.

I would have been interested to see him play forward (perhaps as a defensive forward), given that's where he played junior footy, but I think it's rather academic now.

Played the odd good game, including 'that match' vs Adelaide, but I agree with rpfc.

Frustrating indeed!! Has always looked like he could be a footballer, but injuries and lack of awareness have cruelled him from the start. Unfortunately, it's nigh on impossible to teach awareness, and some players are just injury prone.