• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Any news on Flash?

dreamin' man

I am stoked that Davey has signed on.... even if he does both knees, both ankles and has a hip replacement, as long as he stays and keeps LJ happy the deal will have been worth it.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be buying him some real estate, or some shares.

Think laterally Mono.

Hey I'm trying to. :huh:

Shares, real estate whatever, it all comes under the cap. What's his manager doing for him (other than extracting maximum $s from us)?

Ed: Actually, I've answered my own question. He's screwed enough money out of us over 4 years to last a lifetime. :o

Edited by Mono

Hey I'm trying to. :huh:

Shares, real estate whatever, it all comes under the cap. What's his manager doing for him (other than extracting maximum $s from us)?

Ed: Actually, I've answered my own question. He's screwed enough money out of us over 4 years to last a lifetime. :o

We HAVE to pay $7.34m next year.

Geelong CAN ONLY pay $7.95m next year.

I know what everyone is thinking - we aren't getting value for money...

We have to pay someone, he was going to be on big money, he is now on big money and now he has a deal that ties in that scholarship deal that he started and other little things that I am sure will come out in the next few days.

Stakka, over on Ology, has lost his nut over this and I have no idea why.

We have no stars, except for Davey, of course he is going to get a good deal.

We HAVE to pay $7.34m next year.

Geelong CAN ONLY pay $7.95m next year.

I know what everyone is thinking - we aren't getting value for money...

We have to pay someone, he was going to be on big money, he is now on big money and now he has a deal that ties in that scholarship deal that he started and other little things that I am sure will come out in the next few days.

Stakka, over on Ology, has lost his nut over this and I have no idea why.

We have no stars, except for Davey, of course he is going to get a good deal.

Now rpfc, you, Hannibal, I and others have great concerns about this deal. :angry:

And, I know, we have to pay the minimum $7.34 92.5% SC.

But I simply cannot go for the 4 yrs. Davey is good, even very good, but he is not a star. He has speed, and a great left foot. But, he does not win contested ball, and to the best of my memory, has no right foot. An outside sweeper/mid getting big $s AND 4 yrs is just stupid.

Couple of years, and we'll see where his speed is at. :angry: That leaves a good left foot. Bowden anyone?

Now rpfc, you, Hannibal, I and others have great concerns about this deal. :angry:

But I simply cannot go for the 4 yrs. Davey is good, even very good, but he is not a star. He has speed, and a great left foot. But, he does not win contested ball, and to the best of my memory, has no right foot. An outside sweeper/mid getting big $s AND 4 yrs is just stupid.

Couple of years, and we'll see where his speed is at. :angry: That leaves a good left foot. Bowden anyone?

Couple of years and we'll see if he hasnt added another strength to his game, like he did this year as a true on-baller..

and thats a f*ckin great left-foot, as you said 1 line above before you changed it to push your pathetic point.

He doesnt even look like turning to [censored], but for reason you want to heap [censored] on him. Fool.

Everyone should keep in mind, he didnt hold the club for ransom- thats BS.. We were just impatient buggers (me at the top) that wanted to see a deal done.

He had the right to negotiate and he has the right to a 4- year deal.. another A-Grade performance next year- like this year -and we'll all be messing our pants at his magic.. as usual.. Good stuff Davey.

Next Captain. No Doubt.

I honestly don't think the club was held to ransom over this either.

IMO Aaron's Management were playing a little hard ball to get the best deal for their client. The MFC List Management team would be also ensuring that they protect the financial interests of the club. As supporters who have an emotional and passionate concern for our club we can lose sight of the fact that AFL is big business and the ppl at the club and the players managers are ruthless in ensuring that they get the best deal for their respective parties. Sure we may have had to compromise on the length of the contract but if you think that Aaron's management didn't have to compromise on something they wanted then you would be sadly mistaken.

*The club got spooked because Davey is the little darling of 95% of supporters. The thought of the supporter backlash on top of McLean leaving made them twitch

*Four years was too long

*Davey can't handle a tag

*He's not an A grader, let alone a 'star'

*I will be physically ill if he's ever made Captain (I have no doubt he won't)

*He's still a little soft, although he did improve this part of his game in 09

I agree however that he'd be far more damaging in a good team. Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Morton and Blease should make life far easier for him in the not too distant future.

Edited by Hannibal

*The club got spooked because Davey is the little darling of 95% of supporters. The thought of the supporter backlash on top of McLean leaving made them twitch

This may well have been a factor, and well it might. When you started that thread about what the true purpose of a football club was, one of the points was that its purpose is to do the right thing by members/supporters. Melbourne supporters are a fickle bunch, who knows what kind of ridiculous backlash may have taken place had Davey left. I think the club is entitled to consider its supporters before making decisions.

*Four years was too long

I'm with rpfc on this. Unlike most, I don't have an aversion to 4 years. At 26, I think he'll be OK over the next 4 years.

If all goes to plan, he won't need to.

Agreed

*Four years was too long

Yes and no, yes because I don't like long contracts as they set a precedent,

but no because of all the players we have he will be around in 4 years regardless of the length of his contract now, and now we can massively front-end the contract and reach 92.5% salary cap.

He was tagged all year, some weeks he broke free and dominated, others he wasn't as good, but still effective.

He most certainly is a star, and an A grader.

Doubt he'll be captain, but would be an excellent VC, or maybe a rotating captain (though I neve liked rotating captains)

He's small, I don't think he's soft.

*Four years was too long

I agree however that he'd be far more damaging in a good team. Scully, Trengove, Grimes, Morton and Blease should make life far easier for him in the not too distant future.

You are f$cking idiot!

Which players has Melbourne shafted?

Please don't say Robo

I was saying what he might be thinking, not what i think.

Whelan wasn't tipped out, his body is no longer up to AFL at the top level and he and the club knew it. The club bent over backwards to get him the two games nescessary to get him to 150. IMO he did not deserve his spot in the team in either game, but I also do not begrudge him getting the two games.

See above

*Four years was too long

You are completely right but I would add that it appears obvious that in addition to an extra year he has also got himself more cash than he is worth. The club will need this cash to pay our young talent over the next 4 years

Not very gracious in victory are we? Get over yourself mate. Just post the bit where I was wrong?

What I posted were facts ie:

-your recent predictions hadn't come to fruition and

-that second hand info from journos that they won't print is unreliable and shouldnt be trusted. First hand info from journos is unreliable enough.

I admit you were right with the four years........ so one from three is not bad but still not reliable.

You cant have your cake and eat mate, if your going to have a crack at me for what i post then get all precious when i have a crack back at you thats crazy stuff.

Just relax, and dont be so quick to bag people for posting on this website!

Now... go demons.. i think we can agree on that one!!!

You are completely right but I would add that it appears obvious that in addition to an extra year he has also got himself more cash than he is worth. The club will need this cash to pay our young talent over the next 4 years

Do you know how much he is getting, or have you heard one way or another? If you are just speculating I don't think it is obvious that he got more, possible but not obvious, maybe he accepted less money (per year) in favour of a longer contract. And if it is as Schwabb said, that Essendon had no offer then maybe his price wasn't driven up as we suspected during the week.

I would tend to think that Melbourne, seeing that they are struggling to make the salary cap minimum asked Davey to take a front ended contract, Davey's manager used this against us to get an extra year. But that is just speculation on my part.

He got more then he is worth. Sometimes things need to be done though, and this needed to be done.

We need Davey and he is exactly the sort of player we don't have. The majority of the suppters were kept happy and what is left of our image was kept in tact.

It has already been said, but trust me this deal will be worth it once other teams have more then Davey to worry about. We need depth of quality and Davey is that start of it. The best of his footy is not yet seen and his next 4 years will be his best. To many on here are obssesed with being under 25. The Davey deal was fantasitc for the club and the small doubt that is put in some suppters mind's about this 4 year contract comes from a small amount of rogue posters. Although there maybe some reasons which don't support giving him a 4 year contract, there are MANY more reasons why we should, and we did.

Well done MFC and we are very much on track.

If Davey's (and others) contract is somewhat front-end loaded, and the overall salary cap increases by $1.4 million to $9 million in 2013, and we can go from 92.5% to 100% (another $750,000), I don't see that necessarily being much of an issue.

Cant win can he. People complain hes not loyal now people are complaining that he is getting to much money. We dont know what he is on... I would think he is on less then what Essendon offered i see it as he wanted to play his career out at MFC and got his 4yr deal. Stop taking a negative spin on things. Well done MFC.

Edited by Clanger King

A lot of you seem to be overlooking the indigenous angle here. Flash is basically worth 3 or 4 players, hopefully all of which will play a part in our next premiership side. Keeping LJ (in particular) happy is one of the most important challenges our club faces and Aaron is at the centre of this. No one is bigger than the club, but it would have been pointless to set up the Aaron Davey indigenous scholarship, to then lose him to another club. Furthermore, Flash has wonderful skills and finishing that will be highlighted by a strong midfield (including players of the ilk of Scully, Trengove, Sylvia, Grimes and Morton). Whilst, 3 years would have been a better deal, ultimately, we did what we had to do. Not only was it essential to the strength of the playing populace, but necessary from a marketing perspective (memberships and merchandise).

Maybe we need to look at this differently, because with Davey we're getting much more than his on-field contribution. Locking him in for 4 years as a player means locking in his indigenous mentorship role too, making it much more likely that LJ, Wona, Bennell & Jetta will continue to enjoy their time at the Dees together, and more importantly, will not be swayed by offers from other clubs that are bound to come their way during that period. That also applies to any other talented indigenous players that come to the Dees during that time.

Maybe he also has in mind to develop further the NT connection on the Dees' behalf. It sounds like NT footy certainly needs someone of his status to drive it along, and it's not unreasonable that he gains some security for these off-field activities over the next 4 years and longer, especially if we get another LJ or two out of it.

In 2014 Davey qualifies for the VL, and it sounds like he wanted security for himself and his family until then. Giving him the 4th year he asked for virtually ensures that he ends his playing career at the Dees. This is good for Aaron and what he would have wanted for his family, but there is a big upside for MFC too in those 3rd & 4th years.

A lot of you seem to be overlooking the indigenous angle here. Flash is basically worth 3 or 4 players, hopefully all of which will play a part in our next premiership side. Keeping LJ (in particular) happy is one of the most important challenges our club faces and Aaron is at the centre of this. No one is bigger than the club, but it would have been pointless to set up the Aaron Davey indigenous scholarship, to then lose him to another club. Furthermore, Flash has wonderful skills and finishing that will be highlighted by a strong midfield (including players of the ilk of Scully, Trengove, Sylvia, Grimes and Morton). Whilst, 3 years would have been a better deal, ultimately, we did what we had to do. Not only was it essential to the strength of the playing populace, but necessary from a marketing perspective (memberships and merchandise).

No one has over looked the indigenous angle, it has been done to death, over done. I don't understand why, If Flash left, why any of our other indigenous fellows would leave as well? Brock is leaving and yet no talk of any of his mates leaving?