Paul Wheatley Mathew Whelan and Russell Robertson

Carn dees

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=616788

If true, thanks wheatas for doing the right thing for the club, congrats on a good career.

Wheatley has been robbed of plenty games through soft tissue injury, would like to see him also get a farewell game.

Willl miss his long boot and never forget that first ever SUPER GOAL!!

THANKS ALL THREE PLAYERS WELL RESPECTED AND APPRECIATED OF THE SERVICES!

Edited by Whispering_Jack
Correction to title of thread

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect to the man, but i really hope he does. I'm grateful for his service to the club, but he is not the future, and keeping him on the list and playing him in 2010 will only serve to take opportunities away from guys like McNamara, Cheney and Bennell.

No disrespect to the man, but i really hope he does. I'm grateful for his service to the club, but he is not the future, and keeping him on the list and playing him in 2010 will only serve to take opportunities away from guys like McNamara, Cheney and Bennell.

I like Wheatley, a good player when fit, sadly being fit just never seemed to happen enough. let me assure there arn't many out there that love the M.F.C more.

I've heard he won't even considering courting another club and in previous years flat out rejected any intrest from the USA because of his love for the Dees.

Paul should be proud of his contribution to our club - I have certainly never questioned his spot at HB when he is fit enough to take the ground. I hope the rumour is just that, and that he plays on next year at least. His ability to run, carry, break a line and hit a long target will be sorely missed as the next generation get games under their belt.

At his best he has been one of the most important players in the team Geddy Lee. He has had some very good years. Of course you are going to be ordinary if you can't get fit

If Wheatley was one of our most important players it just showed why we never won The Big Important Games.

Wheatley never starred in big games. A Good ordinary player. He Tried i have no doubt but would never make a Top Side.

E grade post - fool!

Paul should be proud of his contribution to our club - I have certainly never questioned his spot at HB when he is fit enough to take the ground. I hope the rumour is just that, and that he plays on next year at least. His ability to run, carry, break a line and hit a long target will be sorely missed as the next generation get games under their belt.

Paul should be proud. It's a pity his body has let him down so frequently in the past.

That said, it's time. We need some room on the list, we have list cloggers contracted next year and Paul is not part of our future.

E grade post - fool!

Yes, we really need Paul Wheatley to play on. :wacko:

He can kick long, but his decision making has always been deplorable. With the best young backline in the history of the MFC post-1964 what the hell would we do with Wheatley on our list?

No need for personal insults big man.

Thanks for everything Wheaters, ive always rated him and sometimes been under used in our side.

Its time to move on though.

Saying that...what grinds my gears is robbo and wheaters leaving our list when freaken Michael Newton remains on our list for another year, tell me how the freaking flip we offered Newton a two year contract last year!

anway.... Cheers Wheaters and good luck with everything after footy

i really can't believe all these supportors over reactions to some of OUR players... you can't cut, trade delist every player...there needs to be some solid C/B grade footballers in each club... This guy is an AFL player who played some very good games even when we were near the top of the ladder in 2005/6(how quickly people forget).... gees the way people carry on you think we hadn't played finals or been off the bottom four in twenty five years and had no good players at all... not every AFL player will be a Jdd, Ablett etc

Great career Wheats. Got the most out of himself. One of the real battlers. Even though he could frustrate us at times, he always had a crack and was one of our favourites. Good that he is capable of being honest with himself and knows when to pull the pin. Perhaps Robbo could follow the example.

I think Wheats may have other goals in mind and new challenges on the horizon. He's been one player the NFL scouts have had their eyes on for a few years now. Hope he has a crack and gets a gig over there.

Edited by Einstein

Assuming this is true (and I'll be annoyed if it isn't):

Nice to know that from time to time there's a player who can read the writing on the wall when their career is clearly over, and retire with dignity. I can never help but feel a little embarressed for the "I've still got plenty to offer!" types.

He's one player who never seemed to be quite as good as he should've been, but definitely got to 'good-serviceable' and that's much more than most. The horrid run with soft tissues certainly did not help his cause.

All the best Paul.

sure are gOLLy, once there past there useby date just throw em away. Discracfull really.

Thanks wheatley and any other melbourne player verging on retirement i am greatfull for your service and im sure there are plenty others!

Assuming this is true (and I'll be annoyed if it isn't):

Nice to know that from time to time there's a player who can read the writing on the wall when their career is clearly over, and retire with dignity. I can never help but feel a little embarressed for the "I've still got plenty to offer!" types.

He's one player who never seemed to be quite as good as he should've been, but definitely got to 'good-serviceable' and that's much more than most. The horrid run with soft tissues certainly did not help his cause.

All the best Paul.

Agree with all of that.

He will, and rightfully so, feel very proud of a 10 year career in the cut-throat environment that is AFL.

If true, now is not the time to discuss his "grading," that's quite disrespectful towards a player who has played over 125 games for our club.

I remember the first time I saw Wheaters play live. It was about round 7 I think in 2000 out at Docklands against West Coast. Neitz was playing in defence on Cummings, Schwarz was out injured and this young kid Wheatley was playing CHF. Took half a dozen marks (many contested) and kicked a nice goal from outside 50. Thought we'd found our new CHF however was almost never used that way again and went down back, I always thought he should have been used forward more but that was just me.

Cheers Wheaters you've been a good servent of the club and have my respect, good luck in what you do in the future.

Oh and if true, I do like the thought of the 31 guernsey being handed to Scully next year!