Ummm We won the game didn't we?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

We are the dumbest football club going around at the moment.

You're jumping the gun, we've had 2 morale boosting wins when we were at a low ebb.

It's not a problem until we've won 5 and we can still manage to win only 4.

In two years to time I hope we do look back at these emails and I'm right in stating "that winning now will only benefit our club for the future".

I can guarantee that we'll look back with joy if we've got Scully and despair if we haven't.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guarantee that we'll look back with joy if we've got Scully and despair if we haven't.

Won't be despair if he goes to a basket case like Fremantle, he can be the new Pav, one stand out in an ordinary club

Agree. I often wonder who has actually seen him play and who hasn't. I have a fair idea who hasn't.

This is like the TJ for Pick 14 trade. You could tell at that time, it was definitely the right call. The smart call.

But posters still couldn't see the logic and pointed to how great TJ could be. Please be smart about this MFC. There is too much at stake.

We've left ourselves with zero wriggle room. We need to play this well.

Interesting exercise Rojik. You actually got down to 6 posts before the cargo-cult tanker panic merchants destroyed yet another thread. Worth trying again in a week to see if the panic increases or decreases as time goes on.

Dose of reality here. Does anyone seriously think that a club with Jim Stynes as President and spiritual head is going to tank? Tanking is no more than a fantasy of some forum posters. If the tankers are serious about wanting to move tanking from fantasy into the real world, then the person that they need to spend all their energy trying to convince is Jimma. If they really believe that tanking (a.k.a. list management) is our only hope, they shouldn't waste their time & energy stomping all over every poster who sees it differently.

Chances are that the end result will be the same anyway. The Dees will be busting their guts to win for every minute of every game, but in the real world the only team we are capable of beating is Freo. WC will thrash Freo in the local derby and will finish ahead of us. If we happen to end up ahead of WC on percentage, they will choose Morabito or Lucas with their PP, leaving Scully for us.

And it's not just the "pointless wins against hopeless opposition". Here are some of the results of the wins that haven't been mentioned so far. The club has demonstrated its capacity to develop young prospects. First Grimes & Petterd against WC, then Jurrah & Jetta against PA, with games worthy of votes, not to mention continued improvement in others such as Frawley & Bate. And all the senior players are also standing up and all playing well. The team is actually playing as a team, as the sort of team that we can be proud of, some of their ball movement has been as good as anyone's in the comp. We've kicked 17 & 15 goals in the past 2 games, in poor conditions.

We'll be starting next year with virtually new recruits in Blease & Strauss, plus Wona & Garland & Meeson & Buckley - none of these has really had a chance to contribute at all to the effort this year. And what about Watts with the benefit of a preseason and his VCE out of the way.

If the worst case scenario for the tankers happens and we fluke a 5th win and lose Scully, it's a great pity but not the end of the world. Because something else that the past two weeks have shown is that we may not need to stake the club's entire future on an 18 year old kid, no matter how good they are.

The talk earlier this year of Jack being the Messiah had a large dose of tongue-in-cheek, but there's none of that at the moment in the talk about Scully. There's a sense of desperation in the talk about Scully that's really starting to get way over the top - posts about people tearing up memberships or calling for the sacking of Bailey and the coaching staff and match committee if we don't get PP.

Yes, Scully would be a massive asset, but after the past two weeks he no longer has to bear the weight of being our only hope.

Yes, Scully would be a massive asset, but after the past two weeks he no longer has to bear the weight of being our only hope.

All well and good with your post Akum. I have no problems with it.

What I will say is this. The past two weeks is NOTHING to write home about. We've beaten a half-baked white flag waving West Coast and a pathetic and insipid team that is Port Adelaide. Yeah, some of our young recruits have shown something in Jurrah, Grimes and to a lesser extent Petterd & Jetta.

But you put them up against a St.Kilda, Adelaide, Collingwood, WB or a Geelong, even an Essendon with the midfields and defenders they have and we wouldn't stand a chance.

Football supporters and clubs in general, AIM high. IMO, we've got to aim high. By re-moulding our midfield we can get there quicker by getting the best midfielder available.

You're right in saying that he no longer has to bear the weight of being our only hope. But wouldn't you just love the chance to grab an asset like there is in Scully? And wouldn't he accomodate the likes of what we have seen in Jurrah, Grimes & Watts with such excitement, such synergy, for the likes of you and me to enjoy?

Go Dees

HT.

PS. Have you seen Scully play close up?

Edited by High Tower

Guest Digga

I dont think anyone is saying our player need to go out there and lose? Players at this level would be to proud to do so.

It is up to the coaches. Not much can really be done besides resting players and trying players in different spots. ?

I think that is all that can be done.....

If we win 5 games bugger we miss out on Scully which sucks. On the other hand it will prove out side is improving faster than expected which is a good thing.

Some people want draft picks and some people want to keep wining I think we can come to that conclusion. Can we stop talking about this for the next few weeks as we will lose both these games.

I'm not sure anyone has said that Scully is our only hope.

Scully is being compared to Chris Judd, FFS people he would become an asset to this club if we picked him up more then a couple of wins against sides that are tanking or a just pretenders. Then we have the other pick.

Have we not learned one thing from season 2007.

I have had enough of this tank/don't tank crap. I am just enjoying the fact that we have won 2 games in a row and we are no longer the bottom side so I thought I'd make a thread for people that just want to enjoy the winning feeling. No "Oh crap we should have lost" or "What! No Scully?" people need apply. You've already got 336 threads on that crap. I just want to talk about how good it is to be a Demon today and how good the boys were.

Loved todays game. I hate that BS team that wears kiddie colours and harbours thugs. I hope that they are all crying in PA tonight and I hope it really hurt them knowing we stuffed their finals chances. I also hope that Freo is sucking it up being the celler dwellers. Next week is the time to smash Geelong. The more scalps the better for us and better for our players. But the best bit is that our kids now know that they can mix it with other teams and beat them.

Oh, and congrats to Bails for his first back to back win with the MFC.

Go the Mighty Dees.

Excellent idea for a post. There are times when supporters should be able to savour precious and in our case rare victories. And there was a lot to be excited about, the sheer talent of Jurrah, the poise and potential of Jetta, the solidity of Warnock, the toughness of Frawley, the remergence of Maloney and Rivers, Robbo's contribution as a premier half forward flanker, the emergence of Jamar and polish Grimes and Pettard. We should be able to discuss these, and in a not unbiased fashion.

Whatever the relative merits of tanking, and I am undecided on the issue. Couldn't we leave these arguments to dedicated posts.

Anyway Rojik, a worthwhile try.

I agree Mydee,

Whilst I myself do not agree with this thinking, I appreciated that the OP expressed a desire to save this thread for supporters who wanted to enjoy the win. As such I did not post and felt that the thread didn't need to be diluted with the "tank argument" which is taking place in about 20 other threads.

Arguments about tanking can take place in other threads, in a thread such as this it seems to simply be an attempt to convince others to change peoples' minds by barrage.

You can't start a thread and mention that you can't talk about a point of view and mention that it's a crap point of view.

Because that in itself is talking about that point of view.

ROTA should start a thread and not mention THAT point of view that he can't stomach.

This is directed at some of you - I love this footy club, I want the best for the now, the medium term future, and the long term future.

Wanting to lose 6 more games is me wanting the most for my football club.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Interesting exercise Rojik. You actually got down to 6 posts before the cargo-cult tanker panic merchants destroyed yet another thread. Worth trying again in a week to see if the panic increases or decreases as time goes on.

Yep that was pretty much the idea behind the thread. Surprised it made it to 6 though. I agreed with the rest of the post of yours, too. People need to remember the last two games we won were against a WCE that cannot win away and hit us on "Do it for Jim" week, and Port who also struggles at the 'G and was an absolute rabble on the weekend. All of this and we only just held off both of them. We also just held on against Richmond who was having all sorts of problems on and off the field so I think the PP is still pretty safe. It's just a bit frustrating that the "cargo-cult tanker panic merchants" as you call them can't keep the conversation to like minded people rather than crashing the other camps party. Oh, well. At least next year we can all go forward as one unit and enjoy every win we have.

Yep that was pretty much the idea behind the thread. Surprised it made it to 6 though. I agreed with the rest of the post of yours, too. People need to remember the last two games we won were against a WCE that cannot win away and hit us on "Do it for Jim" week, and Port who also struggles at the 'G and was an absolute rabble on the weekend. All of this and we only just held off both of them. We also just held on against Richmond who was having all sorts of problems on and off the field so I think the PP is still pretty safe. It's just a bit frustrating that the "cargo-cult tanker panic merchants" as you call them can't keep the conversation to like minded people rather than crashing the other camps party. Oh, well. At least next year we can all go forward as one unit and enjoy every win we have.

You started this thread to 'not talk about this tanking crap' but that statement in itself is talking, and commenting, on a view that a lot of loyal supporters have.

Start a thread that doesn't attack my view on tanking and you can have your peaceful chat about the progress the players are making.

I can't wait for this season to be over.

I know where you're at and you, and others, probably don't appreciate the lengths to which myself, Hannabal, RR, Rogue, etc would be willing to go to stay on 4 wins but it is just such an important 7 weeks for my footy club.

And for the record - I will stop if we beat Richmond because that will mean it is moot - Freo couldn't beat De La Salle Old Boys (although they are strong this year), so a win against Richmond is the final nail in the PP coffin.

Please don't infer anything in a coffin reference to the club losing a PP, it's a figure of speech.

Edited by rpfc

Im literally starting to feel ill over all of this... surely we cant be as stupid as to not be clever. Cant wait for season 09 to be over as well..with only four wins. I can settle for Scully and whatever after.. Would prefer Scully anfd Trengove.. but hey.. :mellow: