ONE VICTORY AT A TIME

Demonland

ONE VICTORY AT A TIME by Whispering Jack

Two victories in a row!

Who would have thought just a fortnight ago when the Demons returned from Brisbane with their tails between their legs that they would produce successive victories at the MCG and move off the bottom of the ladder?

Last week it was almost to be expected against the West Coast Eagles who have lost the ability to win games away from Subiaco Oval. But against a Port Adelaide that needed to win to remain in close proximity to a finals berth, it certainly wasn't expected that Melbourne would lead all the way to win their third game for the season 15.11.101 to 13.12.90.

The first inkling I had that it was going to be another day out for the Demons came when the teams ran out onto the hallowed turf of the MCG. On the one hand you had Melbourne looking shmik, respectable and very much a football team in their traditional red and navy blue outfits and, on the other, you had Port Adelaide's 22 all rigged out wearing shorty pajamas and looking like, well ... a bunch of clowns. They played "A Grand Old Flag" and you could feel it stirring the players' veins, urging them on to play their hearts out for victory; they played the dirge that masquerades as the Port Adelaide club song and, apart from the fact that it would bring howls of laughter if performed for the judges on Australian Idol, it appeared to set the scene for the visitors by placing them at a best friend's funeral rather than at a football match whose winning result was vital for the team's entire season outcome.

It was little surprise therefore that it was the Demons who came out to play with their new found pressure game that knocked the Power out of their cute white socks.

When the two sides met earlier in the season, Port Adelaide's dominance was asserted from its rucks right through to its midfield and the run created set up a dominance right across the ground. This time around Melbourne's new ruck combination of a rejuvenated and much improved Mark Jamar and Stef Martin turned the tables. They won their fair share of the hit outs and set up a dominance at the stoppages whereby the forwards were given scoring opportunities that could only be dreamt of earlier in the season.

And a new Melbourne forward set up is emerging, one that is radically different to the set up dominated for a decade by David Neitz and Russell Robertson. Certainly, Robbo is still there in the twilight of an illustrious career but yesterday he played third fiddle behind the electrifying Liam Jurrah who rose more than once into the stratosphere to stake some claims for mark of the year and provided four goals and four assists and Ricky Petterd who also booted four including the sealer late in the game and took eleven marks. Matthew Bate and Neville Jetta also added to the annoyance and the angst of the Port Adelaide defence.

The Demons received fantastic service from Cameron Bruce across half back and Brad Green who seemed to be everywhere. Brock McLean and Brent Moloney were strong and consistent in the middle and their contributions were vital to the final result.

Melbourne's defence which has held together for most of a season under extreme pressure showed further signs of development with James Frawley outstanding on Brett Ebert and Matthew Warnock doing the job on danger man Warren Tredrea who booted six last time they met and was restricted to just one this time around. That goal has to win the most dubious goal of the year award and came after the umpires missed an obvious holding the ball decision. Either that or someone abolished the prior opportunity rule while none of us were looking.

That the Demons only won by a little under two kicks is a bit of a mystery to me especially when you consider that Port Adelaide conceded some goals through a lack of organisation and frustration in the second quarter. First, a foray into attack was nullified by a free kick and 50 metre penalty for an interchange error and then Chad Cornes gifted Lynden Dunn a goal with a push and another 50 metre penalty. Apart from advancing Dunn's acting career, the result of the two closely connected incidents represented a two goal turnaround and gave the Demons the impetus to win the second quarter and take the bragging rights into the rooms at half time.

Melbourne's season to date has been punctuated by lamentable third quarter efforts but this time it had all the momentum and came out with all guns blazing to score the first three goals of the second half through Petterd, Jurrah and McLean. This opened up the biggest lead of the day (32 points) and, while Port pegged them back, it was always going to be enough to give the Demons their third win of the season.

It's been a while since the Demons last won two games in a row so spare me a moment to indulge in a fantasy about the prospects of them going even one better when they head down the highway to Sleepy Hollow next weekend. Port Adelaide thrashed Brisbane last week. The Lions, in turn, gave Geelong a bit of a touch up at the weekend. Since the Demons conquered Port yesterday, that must mean they are good things to beat the Cats this week.

Well, that game has been played ever since Tom Wills started the ball rolling a century and a half ago and is about as reliable as the Connex Timetable. I think I'll therefore quit while I'm ahead and just savour one victory at a time.

Melbourne 4.2.26 9.6.60 13.9.87 15.11.101

Port Adelaide 3.3.21 7.6.48 10.8.68 13.12.90

Goals

Melbourne Jurrah Petterd 4 Bate Robertson 2 Dunn McLean Moloney

Port Adelaide K Cornes Lade J Westhoff 2 Brogan Davenport Gray Pearce Rodan Salopek Tredrea

Best

Melbourne Bruce Jurrah McLean Petterd Moloney Jamar Green Frawley

Port Adelaide Cassisi K Cornes Salopek Thurstans Davenport Rodan

Injuries

Melbourne Bell (shoulder)

Port Adelaide Brogan (ribs)

Changes Nil

Reports Nil

Umpires James Sully Wenn

Official crowd 15,888 at the MCG

I think 3 in a row might be wishful wishful thinking B)

How did umpire 22 not pay that holding/throwing the ball decision , could have been a crucial decision in the outcome of the game. Ox comentating on the tv called it the worst non decision of the season

How did umpire 22 not pay that holding/throwing the ball decision , could have been a crucial decision in the outcome of the game. Ox comentating on the tv called it the worst non decision of the season

Ox's heart still pumps red & blue. But it was a shocking non-decision. I thought at first Rodan ran too far.

Ox's heart still pumps red & blue. But it was a shocking non-decision. I thought at first Rodan ran too far.

Yep.

Rodan ran about twenty-five metres without bouncing the pill.

He also got caught and should have been pinged for holding the ball.

He also disposed of it via a throw.

So yeah should have been 3 free kicks to the Dees.

Yep.

Rodan ran about twenty-five metres without bouncing the pill.

He also got caught and should have been pinged for holding the ball.

He also disposed of it via a throw.

So yeah should have been 3 free kicks to the Dees.

He did bounce it once, it was after the bounce I thought he ran a few steps too far.

Yeah, incorrect disposal, being tackled. Free kick Melbourne either way. Not Paid. Goal Port Adelaide.

He did bounce it once, it was after the bounce I thought he ran a few steps too far.

Yeah, incorrect disposal, being tackled. Free kick Melbourne either way. Not Paid. Goal Port Adelaide.

There were three umpires out there! Surely one of them could have come to their senses?

There were three umpires out there! Surely one of them could have come to their senses?

Umpires and sense are mutually exclusive concepts. Even three of them were incapable of achieving the right ruling on that incident.

Even worse were the media who failed to highlight their incompetence. Then again I suppose someone at the AFL is probably dictating what they can say about such things these days.

Big sledge to the umpire who didnt award the tackle on Rohdan to I think was Rivers.

Ran 30m had proir opportunity and didnt dispose of properly and resulted in a goal didnt it.

Ive never been so angry, I went mental.

That feels better getting it off my chest.

Edited by Deano74

Big sledge to the umpire who didnt award the tackle on Rohdan to I think was Rivers.

Ran 30m had proir opportunity and didnt dispose of properly and resulted in a goal didnt it.

Shocking decision, I cannot understand how he came to that decision.

Shame he didn't do it 2 more times though.

He ran almost from 50m line to goalsquare without bouncing it, and as he was tackled to the ground he threw it like a rugby pass, right in front of the umpire, who seemed to be claiming that he was unsighted. Heard someone call it "the worst umpiring decision of the century". IMO it's going to be a hard one to top for the rest of the century too.

The only player mistake of equal magnitude that I can think of would be if a CHB turned around and passed the ball straight to the opposition FF in the goalsquare. Pity umpires can't be dragged & interchanged too.

Edited by Akum

Which of the 3 NON decisions do you mean? As the commentators noted - 1. ran too far (at leas 14 paces after bouncing) 2 was caught trying to take on player and had prior opportunity; and 3 incorrect disposal!!!

And not as if the Ump was a long way away!

That font of knowledge about all things football , The Ox , called it the worst decision in football history

Worst umpiring decision I have ever seen at a Melbourne match. Worse than Junior being pinged for deliberate out of bounds some years ago, that nearly cost us the game, or Brock being given a 50m penalty for hitting a plastic chair with the ball on the boundary line.

It was such a bad decision, it was laughable. Whoever was responsible for that little brain fart should not be umpiring this week.

Worst umpiring decision I have ever seen at a Melbourne match. Worse than Junior being pinged for deliberate out of bounds some years ago, that nearly cost us the game, or Brock being given a 50m penalty for hitting a plastic chair with the ball on the boundary line.

It was such a bad decision, it was laughable. Whoever was responsible for that little brain fart should not be umpiring this week.

What about the day Stinga got pinged for holding the ball at VFL park when he was already 5 ft over the boundary line when tackled???

You weren't sitting in the MCC members by chance were you?

This guy I was sitting next couldn't let that decision go for about 10 minutes after it happened....It was a shocking umpiring blunder nonetheless.

Umpires and sense are mutually exclusive concepts. Even three of them were incapable of achieving the right ruling on that incident.

Even worse were the media who failed to highlight their incompetence. Then again I suppose someone at the AFL is probably dictating what they can say about such things these days.

We shouldn't let poor umpiring dominate discussion on a game where Melbourne showed a lot of grunt and disposed of a finals contender. Well done to the coach and the players!

Those who have the chance should watch the replay for Cometti's laughing at PA in the last qtr.

He was just amazed at how pathetic PA could be and how our kids kept screwing up as well but PA was so bad they just handed the footy straight back. Humorous.

How ferocious is Jetta? I was just thinking that his confidence is rising and rising, he already is about 5th at the club for scoring assists.

Very pleasing.

I wonder whether Jetta, Jurrah, Bennell, Wonaeamirri, and Davey can play together long term. Maybe Jetta and Wonna are fighting for a similar position but who knows?

Very exciting.

Excusing the running too far (which was probably there but is the greyest rule in the game, and Rodan has short legs so takes small steps), I'd like to (for once) defend the umpire.

Firstly, the tackle by Rivers didn't stick so there is no holding the ball decision there.

Secondly, the umpire was blindsided to the throw by Rodan's twisting and turning. Whilst it was clearly a throw, from his position he had no idea whether it was legitimate or not and his comment straight after was that he thought that there was a clean handball.

Whilst it is not (to my knowledge) explicitly written into the rules, the overriding application of all rulings in a game of AFL should be that the status-quo (ie play-on) is to remain at all times unless the umpire is certain that a rule has been transgressed. Exactly the same as the benefit of the doubt going to the batsman in cricket.

So from the umpire's position, it looked like Rodan got the handball away so he thought that he did. If an umpire ever has to 'guess' he should always 'guess' that the rules haven't been broken.

To reverse it around, imagine the howls of outrage from PA if Rodan had clearly handballed yet the umpire 'guessed' that he threw it (easy enough to do in front of 10000 MCC members shouting "Ball!").