Anthony Morabito

e25

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toad..whilst I understand the position you take. my thougths are neither without lack of thought or without reason. Its all verywell to say you simply take the best availale.. thats a tad glib and cliche.. alow me..to elaborate ;) You can only get rid of so many each year. WHo you get rid of over the next five years is VERY much governed by whom you replace them with as the drafts will be slim pickings..especially as we start to rise and get further from the glow ( as it were )

We ( MFC ) have to think smart...very smart...take the best but the best for particular roles.

If you clear out Dunn and Miller then you might have rom for another tall up the sharp end. The argument of creating hunger amongst competing players is all well and good...So do we use an early pick to grab a player who wont see too many opportunities for quite some while..and or bundle out another like pick ?? Notthe smartest way to use picks I would have thought .. We lack the ability to monster the middle. Id be leaning this way.

There is no simple answer.. as the season progresses and development shows how we are looking and the guns of tomorrow start to jockey for position then a clearer picture will present. Butcher is only one of a number of contestants..and not a lay down misere just yet

geez, get this thru ur thick skull .ITS NOT ABOUT WHO IS IN THE AFL THAT IS 192CM...ITS ABOUT WHO IS NOT. I REPEAT IS NOT IN THE AFL.

There are so many 191cm-192cm players that are overlooked come draft day or majorly slide.

And whoever mentioned Dunn is silly. He is already good. He is just being played out of position. He is a natural 3rd tall that has PROVEN to kick goals at afl level. But if he was 195-196cm..then he would have been drafted top 5 in his draft no doubt

Then he would have been a waste of a top 5 pick - your point? :lol:

I like Miller. I think he straightens us up enourmously, and this was extremely evident in the Queen's bday game.

He is strong, agressive and a good leader. He is even improving in getting the odd goal.

He will never be a superstar, and he has many limitations in his game, HOWEVER, he would be a fantastic 3rd or 4th best forward. He is not good enough to be the number 1 forward, but in 3 yrs with Wona, Watts, Jurrah, Maric and Butcher ripping it up, we will need Miller's strength, agression, leadership and hard leading across half forward

I like Miller. I think he straightens us up enourmously, and this was extremely evident in the Queen's bday game.

He is strong, agressive and a good leader. He is even improving in getting the odd goal.

He will never be a superstar, and he has many limitations in his game, HOWEVER, he would be a fantastic 3rd or 4th best forward. He is not good enough to be the number 1 forward, but in 3 yrs with Wona, Watts, Jurrah, Maric and Butcher ripping it up, we will need Miller's strength, agression, leadership and hard leading across half forward

how dropping marks, handballing to opposition and fumbling the footy is regarded as leadership i'll never know.

In a thread about Anthony Morabito how did this end up in a pissing contest between Miller and Newton?

Neither are hardly the heavy weights of the key forward world and the sad reality is that using either to validate your argument is akin to using the 5 of spades against the bastard on the left of you who just played the right bower to win the 8th trick and the hand in a game of 500.

At the very least having these two as our main key forwards goes a long way to explaining why we're currently so screwed.

Good point Jarka.

But apparently one of borderline forwards has "no flaws" according to one self pronounced expert. :lol:

Anyway lets get back on the topic about Morabito and other draftees.

Whatever happens and MFC get picks 1 and 2 or 1 and 3, then I hope we take Scully and the best available player after that (whether it will be a KPF or a midfielder). Its hard to choose as we need one of each.

geez, get this thru ur thick skull .ITS NOT ABOUT WHO IS IN THE AFL THAT IS 192CM...ITS ABOUT WHO IS NOT. I REPEAT IS NOT IN THE AFL.

There are so many 191cm-192cm players that are overlooked come draft day or majorly slide.

And whoever mentioned Dunn is silly. He is already good. He is just being played out of position. He is a natural 3rd tall that has PROVEN to kick goals at afl level. But if he was 195-196cm..then he would have been drafted top 5 in his draft no doubt

Sorry to bring this up again, but i think freak is talking about the classic tweener, a player inbetween hieghts that afl clubs are not sure is good enough for the midfield or tall enough to be a KPP. Hence they slide down the draft pecking order or off the map completely.

Sorry to bring this up again, but i think freak is talking about the classic tweener, a player in between hieghts that afl clubs are not sure is good enough for the midfield or tall enough to be a KPP. Hence they slide down the draft pecking order or off the map completely.

Admittedly he was talking briefly about this in between height stuff. But what he failed to acknowledge that many of this height level (190-192cm) do get picked up, and many have "ability" to play midfield and up forward in key posts.

In any case, Enforcer 25 served up some facts for him.

Time to move on.

You know even if it went picks 1&3 to Melbourne and picks 2&4 to West Coast - if both teams finished with less than 5 wins (& Melbourne finished with spoon) . West Coast might decide on Morabito (from WA) at pick 2. Leaving Scully & Butcher for Melbourne anyway....

Admittedly he was talking briefly about this in between height stuff. But what he failed to acknowledge that many of this height level (190-192cm) do get picked up, and many have ability to play midfield and up forward in key posts.

In any case, Enforcer 25 served up some facts for him.

Time to move on.

Why is it time to move on? This thread is about Morabito, who by all reports, is your classical tweener. Brennan and Goddard aside, how many tweeners get picked up with a top 5 draft pick? And it's taken both players alot longer to establish themselves as good AFL players than was expected.

I agree with Freak's point that we shouldn't use a high draft pick on a player because they are supposedly versatile. Early draft picks should be used on players who can lock down a position for the next 10 years, and you build your team around them. So assuming we get Scully, give me either a legitimate key position player or another gun midfielder with our 2nd pick.

IMO Allen Christensen is the best mid behind Scully, And if we had picks #1 and #2 right now i would take him at #2 because IMHO Butcher hasn't shown enough to warrant being picked at #2.

But there is still plenty of time for Butcher to prove himself before the draft.

And on a side note i don't rate Morabito as a top five pick either.

I find it unbelievable how so many people jump on the Butcher bandwagon, then off it because he has a bad day kicking at the goals.

Lets look at the best FF's in the afl

Brown - recently had a bad kicking performance

Fevola - notorious for his off days kicking at goal

Pavlich - the exception, yet is not considered the best FF

Buddy - can kick 8.1 or 1.8

Riewoldt - his kicking problems have been well documented

Geelong, the best team in the afl have a number of forwards with kicking issues and regularly kick a scoreline of say 14. 21

A couple of weeks ago, Butcher kicked 5 goals and we were licking our lips, now he has a bad day on the field and the knives are out??? It's not as if he has anything more important in his life at the moment (VCE) :rolleyes:

How dare you be so bloody logical.

What the hell are you doing posting here?

(I secretly admire you for thinking before you post unlike some).

Seriously though, this thread had got me thinking about Newton and his performances this year, especially VFL. I must admit I am impressed by the amount of shots at goal he has had each week especially considering how many times he has played second fiddle to Robbo and recently Miller in Casey's forward line.

He may not be kicking goals but if shots at goal were a stat he would be right up there.

I won't go as far as to say that he shouldn't have been dropped.....but.......is Bailey tanking? ( :o )

Go Dees - Building for the Future (not tanking just 'working to aquire compensation for an AFL sanctioned football landscape designed to make MFC success, and respect, all but impossible').

How dare you be so bloody logical.

What the hell are you doing posting here?

(I secretly admire you for thinking before you post unlike some).

Seriously though, this thread had got me thinking about Newton and his performances this year, especially VFL. I must admit I am impressed by the amount of shots at goal he has had each week especially considering how many times he has played second fiddle to Robbo and recently Miller in Casey's forward line.

He may not be kicking goals but if shots at goal were a stat he would be right up there.

I won't go as far as to say that he shouldn't have been dropped.....but.......is Bailey tanking? ( :o )

Go Dees - Building for the Future (not tanking just 'working to aquire compensation for an AFL sanctioned football landscape designed to make MFC success, and respect, all but impossible').

What! Come on Toad 33, Bailey definately doesn't tank, > ( :o )

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tab...68/default.aspx :huh:

I agree with Freak's point that we shouldn't use a high draft pick on a player because they are supposedly versatile. Early draft picks should be used on players who can lock down a position for the next 10 years, and you build your team around them. So assuming we get Scully, give me either a legitimate key position player or another gun midfielder with our 2nd pick.

I agree, except for the fact that his argument was not to not take him purely for the reason he is versatile, but it was to not take him purely because of his height.

By his argument if Chris Judd or Gary Ablett Jr were 192cm he would still not take them at pick 2.

Mind boggling.

Any way, I really hope we don't get Morabito. I just hope someone emerges as a clear number 2 pick and is light years better than he is.

• 1 month later...
i'd rather a master of one trade (i.e butcher) than a master of none. thats all

Hey Freak, I just saw on another thread that you want Morabito at pick 2. You seem to have changed your mind. :lol:

That's all.

Edited by Hannibal