Casey Scorpions v Werribee Tigers - colours & squads

Miller 21 kicks, 15 marks, 6 handballs, 3.4 (only 1 goal to 3/4 time though I think).

Very busy. He's put his hand up for selection v Essendon, unless the Dees win of course.

The Scorpions got better as the game went on and finally overran Werribee to win by 60 points. Miller took the game over in the second half with his strong marking. His kicking for goal was his weak spot with 3 goals 4 behinds. The Dees would be very happy with the form of Jordie McKemnzie and Liam Jurrah.

Casey Scorpions 4.4.28 8.11.59 10.13.73 17.18.120

Werribee Tigers 2.4.16 6.7.43 8.10.58 9.16.70

Goals

Casey Scorpions Jetta Jurrah 4 Miller 3 Dowse Dunn Newton Petterd Silvagni Wheatley

Werribee Tigers Goldstein 2 Baddeley Barlow Denton Howard Obst Pask Speight

Best

Casey Scorpions Silvagni Miller MacReadie Bartram Wall McKenzie

Werribee Tigers Barlow Black Pask Goldstein Martiniello Gleeson

Thought one of Jetta or Jurra could have been mentioned in the best players, having both kicked 4 goals each.

Remember Liam has not even had a full pre-season. Wait until next year, after a solid pre-season, with 5 or so more kilos of muscle and more fitness, he'll be anything. When he eventually gets his chance at AFL level, he'll be even better, as the quality of delivery from players like Flash will make his job easier. One thing he's having to learn is how to be the second or third forward option. Today, especially in the second half, it was clear that Brad miller was the prime forward target, with Liam playing a support role. Back home, he has always been the number one forward, so he's got a lot to learn about playing a different role. He's still on a steep learning curve, and will have his good and bad days, but overall I reckon the Dees coaches would be rapt with how fast he has come on. At the start of the season, the talk was that he probably would have to wait until next year to play senior footy. I reckon right now that judgment might need to be reconsidered. Although the Dees got Liam with the first pick in the PSD, it's worth remembering that he was not even registered for the national draft. A recruiter from another club recently told me that Liam would have potentially been a top 20 draft pick, had he come through the traditional u 18 squads. Time will tell, but I reckon the Dees have pulled off one of the greatest steals in AFL history. Then again, I'm a one-eyed LJ fan.

Thanks again Rudeboy. You make an excellent point regarding a full pre-season. Love to see him in the Red & Blue; would also love to see him in the starting 22 against Collingwood next Queens Birthday clash, when our side is up & running. That will rub a little salt into the wound of the Maggies next year.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the MFC boys were pretty good IMO, here are my thoughts:

Bail: Haven't seen much of this guy, but to be honest was disappointed with his game yesterday. Very sloppy disposal and desicion making. Kicked 0.1 and 2 on the full, and missed several targets. Gets a bit of the ball, but doesn't really stand out at this level IMO. Only early in his career, but as a mature-age recruit, with very poor foot skills, doesn't look likely to make it. Hope he proves me wrong, but thats just the feeling i got from him yesterday.

Bartram: Looks like a really good player at this level. Seems to have much more time and composure, generally used it well (something that is lacking from his game in AFL), and found it a quite a bit. Probably won't get back into the team on that performance, but a good game overall in the midfield.

Dunn: Is your typical VFL superstar, NQR AFL player. Right at home at this level, but somehow needs to reproduce that at AFL level to become a real player for MFC. Got a lot of the footy, used it really well, took some strong contested marks around the ground too, and probably finished with close to 30 disposals for the day. Could be a chance to get back in on that performance. Impressive game.

Hughes: A pretty solid display at half forward. A real competitor, attacks the footy hard and had around 18 touches. Didn't kick a goal but set a couple up and overall contributed well to the win.

Jetta: Drifted in an out of the game. To me looked to spend most of the second half on the wing with limited success. Didn't see a lot of the ball, but was good with it when he did. His work-rate defensively is good, but probably still needs to work on his endurance. Second and third efforts were there, and as a result probably won 2 or 3 frees for holding the ball. Finished with 3 goals in a tidy display.

Jurrah: The story of the day for mine. As many here have already said, Jurrah was extremely impressive yesterday with his 4 goals and presence up forward. Definitely lived up to the hype from what i saw. Was also the first time i've seen him play and there's absolutely no doubt that with more strength and conditioning he is going to be special. Anyone who thinks otherwise after watching him yesterday is just foolish. His ability in the air, his leap, pace and lateral movement are all phenomenal, his kicking action is flawless, and everything he seemed to do with the ball was good. He looks so natural, like he could play footy with his eyes closed! With a couple of pre-seasons under his belt he really could set the AFL alight. Could be a lot closer to a debut than anyone at the club could ever have expected at this stage.

Martin: Started forward and was doing ok, but a forward line containing him, Newton and Miller was too top heavy, so was sent back when Silvagni went into the ruck and Spencer was off. Did well in defence, though was hardly sighted as the Scorps took the ascendancy in the 2nd half. Good solid game, but didn't do anything to really put his hand up for a recall.

Miller: Was solid in the first half, presenting well as he always does, but didn't seem to have much of an influence until the second half, when he was pushed deep. His second half was just excellent. Finished with 21 possessions and 15 marks, plus 3.4 and at least one other shot that didn't score- an exceptional return. Still very iffy with his set shot kicking, as someone stated earlier, not once did he look like he actually believed he could get the goal, which was dissappointing. But overall a very good game, got the BOG award (ffs Phil Cleary is a tool) and should be back in the seniors next week. Like Dunn, looked too good for this level, but needs to reproduce that at Melbourne.

McKenzie: Lots of possies and generally used it well, though at times seemed a bit rushed with his disposal. Only a young lad, and definitely looks a likely type, good in traffic and, like Valenti, looks a natural footballer, but with good height for AFL.

Newton: Looks to have really turned the corner with his attitude. Great defensive pressure, setup a couple of goals with some nice passes and kicked 2 himself (the 2nd one was a very dodgy one that both he and Jetta were throwing a boot at, yet neither seemed to actually touch it). Had around 15-20 disposals and played pretty well. Drifted in the 2nd half as Miller became more prominent.

Petterd: Played forward and on the ball and was solid without being spectacular. Missed a few targets by foot, but overall was pretty good. Won't get back into the Melbourne team on that performance though, IMO.

Spencer: Big and awkward and often clumsy. I found his game disappointing to be honest. Won the majority of hitouts, and although his kicking looks awkward, was actually pretty effective. But overall had very little influence on the game. Came off a couple of times injured. Copped a heavy knock diving on the footy in a desperate display (after fumbling) and got a bit concussed, came back on and looked a bit out of it for mine. A lot further away from playing consistently in the AFL than a lot of us had hoped, IMO.

Strauss: Was ultra impressive in the second half. Spent a bit of time on Marty Pask and did pretty well playing tall, but generally was used as a defensive rebounder, with great success. One play in particular where he ran the ball down the field, gave a pass off, then got it back and hit Miller(?) lace out, was superb. Reminds me a lot of Scott Pendlebury in the way he moves, just silky and class written all over him. Body looks pretty mature too. Should get a game for the Dee's in the next few weeks i reckon. Very impressive.

Wheatley: Struggled in his return. Kicked a mammoth 65m goal, but overall was a bit rusty with disposal and will be better off for the run. A couple of weeks away from a return to the Dee's.

Valenti and McNamara were non-starters. Not sure why. Bennell did not play either, and may be a late change for Macca on Monday.

Umm, did i forget anyone?

Well anyway, hope that's helpful for anyone who didn't catch the game.

My thoughts on the game were:

Miller- Tore them up. Too good to be wasted at this level.If only he could kick for goal!

Dunn - Very good ,especially early.Good motor.

Bartram - Worked very hard.Could gain some confidence at VFL level.

Jurrah - Freakish skills.Little bit too timid.Good kick for goal.Wouldn't surprise to see him debut soon.

Jordie Mackenzie - Very impressive.

Spencer - Will be very good when he matures.Goes to ground too much.

Jetta - Not super quick but a good tackler and has a bit of mongrel about him.

Petterd - Good at this level.

Wheatley - Running into some form.

Peter German- Very good coach.Has them playing a free flowing style of football.Scorpions could do some real damage in the finals if they make it.

Forgot to add, Dowse was the 23rd man (under the rule that allows a TAC cup player to play VFL) and was really impressive.

And Alex Silvagni is an absolute gun at VFL level. Played everywhere yesterday, was on Pask doing a pretty good job on him, then went to the ruck when Spencer came off, then capped his day off with a pack mark and goal. Too good for this level of footy IMO.

Just reading the herald sun and the leading possesion getters were..

Dunn 23

Mckenzie 22

hughes 20

Petterd 18

Pretty good effort for hughes to get 20 on a hff. Took some strong marks as well. The one thing i did like was his physicality, hit bodies pretty hard, copped a few as well. Especially late in the last when he was about to be crunched and he just went in hard for the ball. The other guy went of with a cut head and a bit dizzy. he went to the next contest and got the clearing handball off.

Thought one of Jetta or Jurra could have been mentioned in the best players, having both kicked 4 goals each.

I thought Jetta only kicked three, but they must've awarded that 4th to him instead of Newton, which was a very speculative goal that seemed to hit all of Newton's knee, back, thigh and everywhere else except his or Jetta's boot.

Surprised Jurrah (and Dunn) weren't named in the best though.

Dunn was ok, turned the ball over a few times. He was good in the centre clearances though... Still not really imposing himself on a game yet..

Jurrah should have been in the best. Clearly the best forward on the ground. Miller still has a very average kick.

Dunn was ok, turned the ball over a few times. He was good in the centre clearances though... Still not really imposing himself on a game yet..

Jurrah should have been in the best. Clearly the best forward on the ground. Miller still has a very average kick.

Agree. Jurrah was great, and Miller's kicking is still ordinary, and probably always will be.

One thing i did like about Dunn's game though was his ability to take some contested marks, and not 'squib' the physical aerial stuff, as he so often does for Melbourne.

Valenti has strained his quad, mcnamara has groin trouble. Not sure how serious.

Bennel is emergency for monday so didn't play. This always happens when the afl team plays after the vfl. Just in case something happens. Doesn't mean someone will pull out.

Was a pleasure to see him play today on tv our first chance for the year up here in Yuendumu. So very proud (regardless of how he goes). But in football terms growing flashes of the Liam we know that is all class and can dominate games.

You have a few people over to watch the game with a few cold ones Japaljarri?

At the end of the day, MIller has shown LESS than newton at afl standard so why does he get more chances?

This is why fewer and fewer people pay any attention to what you say, Freak. Keep it up, your comments will be completely irrelevant soon.

If Newton consistently displayed Miller work ethic at AFL level, he'd be a fixture in the senior team by now. No doubt he's a better kick than Miller; it's arguable he's a better mark.

But when it comes to working for the team, Miller's got him covered every time. I know who I'd rather have beside me in the forward line at AFL level, and it's not the 2007 Mark of the Year winner.

And as for your assertion that you'd have picked Rioli over Morton, great.

Going by your logic in promoting players from the VFL (see Watts v Newton), Rioli would STILL be languishing in the twos because you'd have selected Valenti in the forward pocket for the past 18 months.

He is 22 with virtually one pre-season under him, 196cm, agile, a great contested mark and the potential for growth is enormous.

The scope for development in Martin is hard to measure in value, and even though we might be lucky with our plethora of defenders now, injuries happen, form drops, and keep in mind that Warnock and Rivers are both 25, and Rivers has a long history of injuries.

Agree. The potential with Martin is so big. But if a club came to us and offered a high draft pick then you'd have to look at it.

Bail: Haven't seen much of this guy, but to be honest was disappointed with his game yesterday. Very sloppy disposal and desicion making. Kicked 0.1 and 2 on the full, and missed several targets. Gets a bit of the ball, but doesn't really stand out at this level IMO. Only early in his career, but as a mature-age recruit, with very poor foot skills, doesn't look likely to make it. Hope he proves me wrong, but thats just the feeling i got from him yesterday.

Me too. I'd heard good things about Bail, but I was disappointed with him yesterday. His kicking was crap (especially when he kicked for goal). He didn't seem to get a lot of the ball and didn't look comfortable when he did get it. Seems a lot further off than I thought he was. But I've only seen one game, so hopefully yesterday wasn't fully indicative of Bail's game.

Strauss: Was ultra impressive in the second half. Spent a bit of time on Marty Pask and did pretty well playing tall, but generally was used as a defensive rebounder, with great success. One play in particular where he ran the ball down the field, gave a pass off, then got it back and hit Miller(?) lace out, was superb. Reminds me a lot of Scott Pendlebury in the way he moves, just silky and class written all over him. Body looks pretty mature too. Should get a game for the Dee's in the next few weeks i reckon. Very impressive.

Really? I hardly noticed him. I did notice that he looked composed and assured when he had it. But I hardly saw him get it, and would have thought that he was still a while away.

This is why fewer and fewer people pay any attention to what you say, Freak. Keep it up, your comments will be completely irrelevant soon.

If Newton consistently displayed Miller work ethic at AFL level, he'd be a fixture in the senior team by now. No doubt he's a better kick than Miller; it's arguable he's a better mark.

Thats rubbish about work ethic. Newton has worked hard at both levels. He is not the quickest player so it probley seems like he is not chasing down tackles and running hard but he is. As for his potential well im not so sure. He is just not a good player at afl atm.

Thats rubbish about work ethic. Newton has worked hard at both levels. He is not the quickest player so it probley seems like he is not chasing down tackles and running hard but he is. As for his potential well im not so sure. He is just not a good player at afl atm.

I dissagree, if nothing else when it comes to Brad Miller you can always expect him to be spent at the end of the game and when other players talk about people who work the hardest both on the track and game day, it's always Miller and Bruce they point to.

Bailey dropping Robbo last week and Miller this week has proven that no spot is a certainty, Miller has been fairly poor these last few weeks but put in a good performance for Casey and deserves a call up (if there is a spot available). As for Newton, what i saw yesterday has not swayed me in the least regarding where he belongs. He is working harder, but he seems destined to hover between VFL and AFL standard.

Love reading this from German about LJ and the indigenous gents on the list:

German said the club has some exceptional indigenous talent. "You can't give them too many boundaries, you've got to let them go out and let them use their talent," he said.

Not to many boundries just watch the magic within a team structure. BRING IT ON!!!

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/ju...4234424284.html

Newtons biggest problem is he doesn't read the play well at all. His timing is all out and despite his best efforts at laying tackles and chase his opponents he is far too slow (very little acceleration) to have any significant effect.

On top of that he really needs to hit the gym, has little chance of ever taking a contested mark with his frame.

I dissagree, if nothing else when it comes to Brad Miller you can always expect him to be spent at the end of the game and when other players talk about people who work the hardest both on the track and game day, it's always Miller and Bruce they point to.

Bailey dropping Robbo last week and Miller this week has proven that no spot is a certainty, Miller has been fairly poor these last few weeks but put in a good performance for Casey and deserves a call up (if there is a spot available). As for Newton, what i saw yesterday has not swayed me in the least regarding where he belongs. He is working harder, but he seems destined to hover between VFL and AFL standard.

I didnt question miller's work rate or effort? I think he works hard every game. All I said was that Newton does work hard, he just isnt as good a player as people think.

Work ethic isn't the be all and end all of football. After 100 games, you have to start questioning Miller's value to the team. Sure, he tries hard, but what value do we get from his efforts? He doesn't kick goals, he doesn't set up goals, he doesn't break open packs for the crumbers, he doesn't take the opposition's best backman. Out of his 100 games, Miller would have been lucky to be in our best 5 in ten.

As for Newton, unless he's given an extended run in the seniors to prove himself, we'll never know what he's capable of.

Really? I hardly noticed him. I did notice that he looked composed and assured when he had it. But I hardly saw him get it, and would have thought that he was still a while away.

He (Strauss) was wearing # 46 right?

I agree he didn't get a whole lot of possessions, but i can't think of any one occassion where he turned it over, and often his ball use started a chain of possession which led to goals, plus 1 or 2 goal assists himself. The ball didn't spend much time in Casey's defence in the second half, but when it was there, he looked really composed and smooth, and an added bonus to his game, which is something i'm not sure he's noted for, was his defensive spoiling was pretty good. Beat Pask, who's no mug at VFL level, in one-on-one contests more than once. He also had a lot of nice little handballs in traffic that were barely noticable unless you were watching him closely.

Might just be me overly excited by him, but i thought his game was very good. Although he was reasonably quiet, he was very effective.

You have a few people over to watch the game with a few cold ones Japaljarri?

Nah its a 'dry' community (as in no grog) as are nearly all NT remote indigenous communities. :angry: :) ....But it was just a pleasure to watch him play...If/when Liam gets his debut the whole community (6-700) will gather to watch...

Newton's problem is that he is not very good, especially at football. He is good at jumping but not good at football. You know, kicking and running and tackling and handballing and stuff.

you're an idiot. he is great at chasing and running and tackling. that is one of the key features of his game at the moment.

Agree. Jurrah was great, and Miller's kicking is still ordinary, and probably always will be.

One thing i did like about Dunn's game though was his ability to take some contested marks, and not 'squib' the physical aerial stuff, as he so often does for Melbourne.

i agree about dunn. if he played like that at afl level, id be stoked.

Nah its a 'dry' community (as in no grog) as are nearly all NT remote indigenous communities. :angry: :) ....But it was just a pleasure to watch him play...If/when Liam gets his debut the whole community (6-700) will gather to watch...

ah that is no good at all ha ha, you'll have to try and get us some pictures up on here of the community watching the game mate.

Now next questions is how do we get the Yuendumu footy club to change from those filthy birds to the mighty Demons colours? ;)

Work ethic isn't the be all and end all of football. After 100 games, you have to start questioning Miller's value to the team. Sure, he tries hard, but what value do we get from his efforts? He doesn't kick goals, he doesn't set up goals, he doesn't break open packs for the crumbers, he doesn't take the opposition's best backman. Out of his 100 games, Miller would have been lucky to be in our best 5 in ten.

As for Newton, unless he's given an extended run in the seniors to prove himself, we'll never know what he's capable of.

We don't need to see Newton again to Know that he isn't upto it. He's a dud, pure and simple

We don't need to see Newton again to Know that he isn't upto it. He's a dud, pure and simple

Miller looks like a footballer and Newton doesn't. At the moment, they are both working very hard without the ball.

End of the day, neither of them cut it at team #16. They'll both be gone in 2 years.