Melbourne V Collingwood - Team Changes

barpen

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at this quote from this article: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsart...51/default.aspx

"Captain James McDonald has been unable to prove his fitness after hurting his knee in last week’s loss to St Kilda, and will miss this week. "

???

Yeah, I was thinking replace Macca with Jones, then have an interchange bench of: P Johnson, A Maric, J Bennell, M Newton.

Definitely.

He has played in a foreign position, where the ball is never seen, for two weeks. Hardly his fault.

Perhaps they are dropping him to try and learn the position at a lower level?

It is unfair on Martin, but he'll be back. When he does come back, play him down back please, Bails. Playing Martin out of position might just be a form of 'clever' player management.

We also have Garland to come back eventually, where the heck are we going to fit all these players? It does bode well for depth though.

MMM...thats generally the pattern ;)

Johnson, Jones, Bennell and Maric also all named on Casey's bench, with Cheney, Newton and Dunn all named on the field...

I would've liked to see Juice play, but if he doesn't, I think Watts will stay pretty close to goal for a decent period of the game.

Every one keen to see Juice all of a sudden??

I never wanted him to be dropped. His forward line pressure was good at AFL level, as it has been at Casey and he was having shots on goal. Sure, he missed some ones he should've kicked against the Crows, but he was having shots on goal when it was a very tough night for forwards. What I've seen and heard of him since he's returned to Casey, he's still doing all the right things, and has been seriously unlucky to not be playing.

I've read many posters on here say it's "unfair" to Martin. I disagree. He may be unlucky, but it's not 'unfair'. It's all about the team and the best matchups to win a game of footy. One of the reasons he was thrown forward in the first place was because he was squeezed out of the backline by Warnock, Rivers, and Frawley. Yes we needed a player capable of versatility, as our key forward stocks are poor, but I believe that in the main it was because of a top heavy backline.

Call me crazy, but why not try a forward line that includes:

Watts, Bate, Newton, Maric, Sylvia and Green.

Why not?

Let's just hope the boys protect Jack cause the filth will try to rough him up. Especially that dog Maxwell.

Please tell me that people are not getting back on the Juice BW? Juice and Bate seem to carry a lot of people, then a week later everyone jumps off. :huh:

Well I haven't always been on board, but he has been harshly done by this year, and deserves more opportunities than he's been given IMO.

I've read many posters on here say it's "unfair" to Martin. I disagree. He may be unlucky, but it's not 'unfair'. It's all about the team and the best matchups to win a game of footy. One of the reasons he was thrown forward in the first place was because he was squeezed out of the backline by Warnock, Rivers, and Frawley. Yes we needed a player capable of versatility, as our key forward stocks are poor, but I believe that in the main it was because of a top heavy backline.

100% correct.

It was so obvious that Martin was in the gun re selection. Looking at the balance of the side, we could hardly afford to carry a 195cm+ player who wasn't required down back, is ineffective in the ruck and lacks the ability to play as a key forward. He is direct competition with Warnock for a place in the senior side and needs to continue to develop at Casey and hope for Warnock to have a drop off in form.

100% correct.

It was so obvious that Martin was in the gun re selection. Looking at the balance of the side, we could hardly afford to carry a 195cm+ player who wasn't required down back, is ineffective in the ruck and lacks the ability to play as a key forward. He is direct competition with Warnock for a place in the senior side and needs to continue to develop at Casey and hope for Warnock to have a drop off in form.

I agree on Stef... I'm as big a Stef fan as they come. As soon as I saw him play, I was convinced we had a good player. When he almost won the grand final sprint, I was so excited at the prospects of this guy.

But they obviously want him to learn to play forward, which I hope they do down at Casey. We already know that he can play back. But if he can learn the craft down forward in the VFL, then he will be a very dangerous player.

Keep in mind too, he's played key forward against Hawthorn and St. Kilda. Not exactly easy sides to play well as a deep forward against. Keep the faith, keep teaching the boy, and he'll become a beauty.

Have a look at this quote from this article: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsart...51/default.aspx

"Captain James McDonald has been unable to prove his fitness after hurting his knee in last week’s loss to St Kilda, and will miss this week. "

???

article has been changed from earlier.

reckon it was left in, or put in prematurely (ie pending a fitness test)?

Apart from feeling sorry for Stef I think it's great that we are starting to have some problems at the selection table.

On the selections.

If the teams line up the way they are selected the Pies will be in big trouble in their backline. We have pretty much selected a mid sized mobile forward line and they will have no match up for one or both of Presti or Leigh Brown, or either if DB decides to go smaller in there. We also have a possible 3 mobile talls on the extended bench (PJ, Newton, Dunn) all who could give the Pies big plodding backman some head aches.

I don't think we can go into the game without a second ruckman or a big bodied forward. PJ is the obviuos choice to cover both options, but I wouldn't mind if Newton was selected as another tall forward option but that would leave PJ sitting on the bench when not rucking so it won't happen. PJ is definitely in.

We also need a small quick forward and the only one selected in the squad is Maric. Maric is in.

From here on things get bit sticky.

Do we play a stopper for Swan? Dunn?

Who can play on Davis? Bennell? Bell? Or does he get a hard tag from Dunn? And will it stick?

Can Wheels keep Didak in check? And if not who can relieve him? Bell (although his history on Didak is not great from memory), Cheney?

What we lack in leg speed through the middle we make up for in pure grunt, but how much grunt do we need? Can the likes of Moloney, McLean, Jones and McDonald keep up with Lockyer, Swan, Dick/Thomas and O'bree? And with the Pies potentially having Medhurst and Clarke in the team along with the already selected Shaw, Dick, Didak, Thomas, Davis, Swan we have no option but to go for speed. Cheney and Jones to miss out.

With PJ and Maric certain selections in my mind, and Cheney and Jones to miss, that leaves Bennell, Dunn and Newton to fill the last two spots. On this occasion both Bennell and Dunn can offer more flexibility to the team than Newton. Newton to miss out.

My bench

PJ, Maric, Bennell, Dunn

Go Dees - Building for the Future.

article has been changed from earlier.

reckon it was left in, or put in prematurely (ie pending a fitness test)?

I have no idea. On the one hand, it could have been a factual error (i.e. he actually passed the fitness test or, like you said, he hasn't had the fitness test yet). On the other hand, it might have been true, but mistakenly put in the article (possibly because they want to give Macca up until tomorrow evening to see if he can make it or not).

If he does miss, Cheney is the obvious inclusion (assuming that Cheney, Dunn and Newton miss out on the final cut).

He is direct competition with Warnock for a place in the senior side and needs to continue to develop at Casey and hope for Warnock to have a drop off in form.

Add Rivers to that he's our slowest backman he hasn't had much of the ball and has turn it over a fair bit too only experience has kept him in the side. I would rather see Martin down back if Rivers doesn't start to improve I would look to trade him. Martin is wasted as a forward or second ruckman.

Miller out is a huge boost to the club that's 5 a goal advantage to us.

What does Cheney have to do to get a game? I don't think he will play even if McDonald doesn't come up I think Dunn will come in (tagger in for a tagger). Bell is very lucky to keep his spot he will be playing for his career.

Flying out to Sydney on Monday unfortunately(and then heading O/S from there.).Do you think the game would be telecast anywhere in Sydney?

According to the afl website the game will be shown in Sydney, 2pm, Channel 10...

http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/broadcastgui...ound=Round%2011

Obviously its not silly dropping MARTIN. The coach wouldnt drop him for no reason. I think they know a bit more than us.

would of thought Martin was dropped for match up reasons, Cheney should be played ahead of Wheelan