• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

Satan

I would be Hoping JW will Debut against the West Coke at the 'G. That's how i would play it.

There will Hopefully be many more QB's for Mr watts in years to come....He may play this week & if he does Good Luck, but this is how i see it.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he does play he will need someone big around him to support and protect, I can see someone like Nick Maxwell just constantly hitting into him and being the usual sniper that he is - but it something he has to come to expect considering the wraps on him

I would be Hoping JW will Debut against the West Coke at the 'G. That's how i would play it.

There will Hopefully be many more QB's for Mr watts in years to come....He may play this week & if he does Good Luck, but this is how i see it.

I can't quite understand why you wouldn't want Watts debuting in a big game when Melbourne is centre stage in front of a captive audience. If he's ready he should be play and what better place than the G in a significant match. Have a bit of faith that this mature kid is special in many ways and not just on the footy field. Brereton made his debut in a Final and later revealed he had a mindset that he was born for the biggest stage. Most champions do. I'm sure that there were many Hawthorn supporters at the time that would never have considered making a 17 year olds first game a Final.

I don't expect Watts to star and have modest expectations, but I don't have the precious and conservative attitude of some that post on here. And I also don't want to coincide his debut with a match renowned for poor attendances in an attempt to boost crowd numbers.

Big stage or crap game versus interstate side ? I'm staggered people would suggest the latter.

I can't quite understand why you wouldn't want Watts debuting in a big game when Melbourne is centre stage in front of a captive audience. If he's ready he should be play and what better place than the G in a significant match. Have a bit of faith that this mature kid is special in many ways and not just on the footy field. Brereton made his debut in a Final and later revealed he had a mindset that he was born for the biggest stage. Most champions do. I'm sure that there were many Hawthorn supporters at the time that would never have considered making a 17 year olds first game a Final.

I don't expect Watts to star and have modest expectations, but I don't have the precious and conservative attitude of some that post on here. And I also don't want to coincide his debut with a match renowned for poor attendances in an attempt to boost crowd numbers.

Big stage or crap game versus interstate side ? I'm staggered people would suggest the latter.

Top post. I concur.

The only reason i wouldn't want him to debut is because other players are playing better footy at casey than. WHat does this say to a few of th guys that are playing good footy but aren't being played. That because he is jack watts and that he was a top draft pick he gets a game ahead of you. I wouldn't be happy. MAybe thats the reason why they put him in the best on the weekend, even though he was prob between the 10-15 best player on the ground!

The only reason i wouldn't want him to debut is because other players are playing better footy at casey than. WHat does this say to a few of th guys that are playing good footy but aren't being played. That because he is jack watts and that he was a top draft pick he gets a game ahead of you. I wouldn't be happy. MAybe thats the reason why they put him in the best on the weekend, even though he was prob between the 10-15 best player on the ground!

Hughes is a rookie listed player and Newton has had countless chances to cement a position and failed. If a decision to play Watts ahead of him gets up his nose he only has himself to blame. He's had chances galore. The benefit of getting games into Watts is plain for all to see, including listed Melbourne players. The added benefit of experiencing a game such as QB has been likened to the value of 10 standard home and away games.

The club has to make judgments all the time. And this is one of them. Could it get another players nose out of joint ? Quite possibly, but that happens often when you've got 40 listed players. The bigger picture is to fast track the development of an exceptionally valuable commodity. Most understand this.

I for one don't think anyone on our list would have issues with Jack getting a game.

For one, he has performed admirably at VFL level, playing out of position and with no pre-season. Racking 20 odd possessions a game (and kicking 3 when played as a forward) is pretty reasonable form for a 196cm kid.

Secondly, while there are other players deserving of a game, in particular Cheney, their ability or inability to get a game is not related to Watts whatsoever, as they are not key forwards.

Besides, plenty of first year players have been given game time not on their own merits and not due to being in stellar form, but simply because the club wanted to give them a run and a taste of senior footy (think Grimes last year, Jetta and Bennell this year, Spencer, etc etc..).

If Watts is physically fit and is able to run out a full match, he should play.

As for Newton, he has failed at every opportunity given to him, and if he has an issue with Watts being selected ahead of him, tough luck. He should probably get used to it too.

..... and the VCE exam the next day?

That is a completely separate issue, and one that needs to be left up to Jack and his family.

On the one hand, if you're going to leave your studying till the last minute, you got little hope of passing as it is. Secondly, regardless of exams I assume he will play this week (does it matter if he plays Saturday or Monday?), and will watch the game on Monday.

On the other hand, he might not want to get distracted and may wish to focus on his exams, in which case I have no issue with him not playing. But if he does choose to do that, than he shouldn't be playing at any level and given the weekend off to study.

Jaded is right..... That last day of studying doesn't really mean much if he has been a good student.

Takes more than one day of study to pass an exam.

Oh and by the way, Hannabal owns this thread, going about his business, destroying anyone who thinks playing an extra 2 games at Casey will make ANY difference to his development.

Strongly agree H.

For the record plans have been finalised and we're all going! Despite the weather forecast. Good choice of sig by the way. Very true.

Good to hear. :) And thanks. I hope the weather doesn't keep too many away.

Those saying that he should debut against WC so we "don't write a cheque," i can't say I agree (though I'm not sure of the logistics).

Surely 10,000 extra fans will bring 10,000 fans worth of dollars (meaning a big increase on QB), if those fans don't come aginst WC and we're 10k short we may have to write the cheque but surely we'd have the extra money from QB to play it with?

My point - 10k extra in one match should cover 10k short in another

Jaded is right..... That last day of studying doesn't really mean much if he has been a good student.

Takes more than one day of study to pass an exam.

Correct, but nevertheless, it is still a decision that he should not be taking lightly. He has many opportunities to play AFL, but only one opportunity to do well in his VCE. If he or his family feel as though he would be harming his chances by playing, then so be it.

You don't think that playing your first game of footy against Collingwood in front of 70,000 people the day before your first VCE exam, plus all the media attention, plus all the interviews (caused by the number 1 pick playing his first game) etc, would be a little bit distracting?

Surely if we are walking the walk as far as 'school comes first', then we would wait until a more appropriate time in his school schedule. There is a massive difference between the distraction of a Saturday game in Casey and a blockbuster AFL debut the day before your first exam.

Maybe I'm just a bit precious and conservative - being on an emotional high for the 5 days before VCE exams probably wouldn't affect you. After all, it's his only shot at being able to debut.

Maybe I'm just a bit precious and conservative - being on an emotional high for the 5 days before VCE exams probably wouldn't affect you. After all, it's his only shot at being able to debut.

I suspect you're directing this post at me:

You'll note that I haven't addressed the issue of his exams. There are enough people in his life that currently care for his well-being, and what's best for his schooling, without me chiming in. My viewpoint has been purely from a football perspective. And I see enormous merit in him debuting on Monday.

I'll let you, the footy club, and his Family worry about his exams and make appropriate decisions accordingly.

I'll let you, the footy club, and his Family worry about his exams and make appropriate decisions accordingly.

The football department seem to be taking an exemplary approach to the players on-field & off-field development and welfare.

I'd expect that if the decision was made for Jack to debut it would be done so with the Watt's family blessing.

lol i dont understand this whole thing about being fair!???

Was it fair to have Stephen Hill play from round 1 when he looked like a Rake?

Was it fair for Jeff Gartlet to play rd 1 when looking like a rake?

Was it fair for Jetta and Bennell to play from rd 1 after just getting chosen by the club?

I dont understand it.

If he can play he should play.

You don't think that playing your first game of footy against Collingwood in front of 70,000 people the day before your first VCE exam, plus all the media attention, plus all the interviews (caused by the number 1 pick playing his first game) etc, would be a little bit distracting?

Surely if we are walking the walk as far as 'school comes first', then we would wait until a more appropriate time in his school schedule. There is a massive difference between the distraction of a Saturday game in Casey and a blockbuster AFL debut the day before your first exam.

No doubt you are correct on all points.

Making his debut will be a big distraction and no doubt shift his focus considerably.

However, it is not our decision to make and I'm sure that if he does play, it is because his parents, teachers and the club all feel that he is capable of coping.

Afterall, it is just mid-year exams and he will not have any football distractions come his final exams.

(and as I previously said, if his exam is in Psychology, he really doesn't need to bother studying ;))

he isnt ready. if he gets promoted so should robbo, petterd, jurrah, bartram,newton and cheney. if it was to be fair

Yes he is.

And read all posts. We've covered the puerile 'fairness' angle.

taken from mightydees on bigfooty

I can confirm that Jack will definitely play on Monday. The announcement will be made later today. You heard it here first.

i guess we find out today if its true

Mightydees might want to tune in here. Before spruiking Bigfooty heard it first.

Of course.....if true. :D