• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Partners

AzzKikA

Mine's a saints fan! Got her to sign up as a Melbourne member, though to do it I had to also sign up as a saints member. Price I had to pay but at least it's another member for us. Plus at least it's the Saints and not the filth or Richmond!

Wow, impressive.

Nice one, QueenC :P

I think QueenC and I have the magic touch.

An ex, a very passionate Essendon supporter (and MCC member), has bought a Melbourne membership for the past 6 years. Initially he bought one because he came to a fair few Melbourne games with me, but since then he simply buys one to support the club that I love (which is pretty nice, given we are not together anymore).

Dating a Port fan during their powerhouse years was an absolute nightmare. I even got to sit in their reserved (read: feral) area a couple of times at AAMI stadium. Despite him being a typical Port feral, he also adopted Melbourne as his second team and did buy a membership (only once though).

I did semi-convert one guy who was never really into football, but was a Swans fan by virtue of being a Sydney native. Once we started dating, he began to show a lot more interest in football and Melbourne. To this day he is a keen Melbourne follower, and would often send me random text messages to discuss the team (e.g.- "Robbed" after we lost to the Dogs last week :D)

I really don't mind which team my partner follows, as long as they know that we're bringing the kids up as Melbourne supporters ;)

And to answer someone's question; nobody has ever so much as attempt to vaguely suggest that I should possibly convert... they all knew better than to waste their time!

I saw a few people were talking about their partners supporting different teams and thought i'd start a topic along those lines.

My partner is a Filth supporter but doesn't really follow the footy, only to tease me when we lose, which i have been doing to her of late. I get some free ticket to the dome in a corporate box and still she doesn't want to go. I have Foxtel IQ at home which is great coz most of our games are on fox sports so i get to tape them coz she wont watch it with me, i get a little loud and yelly!

Please share.

dump her

Am I the only one who married someone who doesn't follow footy at all? :wacko:

My wife is a completely clean slate. Had never watched a game before we met, but will now suffer through a game and barracks for the Dees purely for the sake of my mood. She wants to visit the 'G with me next time I go (she hasn't been there), so steps are being taken.

The kids are well and truly on the way to being brainwashed though. One of the small handful of words my 1 year old son says is "go dees", with fist pumped in the air.

My wife was a clean slate so that was easy. But a carer at my son's preschool has taught him (2) to say "Go Blues"

It shits me no end. So you say "who's gonna win", answer "blues"

Although he does love the Deeman so he'll soon snap out of it

Quick question here fella's, have any of your converts ever tried to get you to jump the fence to their side?

And I dated a passionate Swans supporter a few years back in uni, who is still a passionate Swans supporter, although he does buy a Melbourne membership to this day :P !!!

Never! I have never met anyone more passioate than me about their team, so I convert.

Do we have any Lady Demonland members, this post seems like its all the fellars?

My wife was a clean slate so that was easy. But a carer at my son's preschool has taught him (2) to say "Go Blues"

That is child abuse. That "carer" should be immediately removed from any contact with children, be formally charged with crimes against humanity & incarcerated.

Interesting reading about partners of other persuasions but I can tell you, it is better to be involved with a Collingwood fan than it is to have a partner that has no interest in footy whatsover. They have no concept of our passion for our club. They can't understand why we abuse the umpire, even when watching a tape of a game we've. And they utter that horrid expression "why are you getting so worked up - it's only a game". Or "did you lose again - oh, well, it's only footy". Shits me no end. She decided at one point to embrace attending football in the name of "doing things as a family". After a few games when it became apparent that she found the crowd more interesting than the on-field action, the kids banned her.

Queenie & Jaded - much respect to the pair of you for the fine job you are doing in expanding our supporter base. Keep up the good work !

Never! I have never met anyone more passioate than me about their team, so I convert.

Do we have any Lady Demonland members, this post seems like its all the fellars?

Dingo, you replied to one of our Demon ladies posts. QueenC. Refer also to Jaded who also is "not a he"

And they utter that horrid expression "why are you getting so worked up - it's only a game". Or "did you lose again - oh, well, it's only footy". Shits me no end.

How about "your team ALWAYS loses, why don't you just follow someone else?". Although to be fair I do ask myself that sometimes, but changing footy allegiances to me would be like changing your blood type.

My wife got the hint pretty quickly that that didn't go down well.

That is child abuse. That "carer" should be immediately removed from any contact with children, be formally charged with crimes against humanity & incarcerated.

To be fair, when I was working in childcare I too tried to brainwash the kids.

When I was working in occasional care there were a couple of boys who barracked for Melbourne, and they always got extra special treatment for being brave enough to wear our jumper in public :lol:

I seem to have a lot more success with men than with kids though. I am yet to influence any child to follow Melbourne. I've been brainwashing my cousin since the day he was born, and at 19 months, when I tell him to say "Go Dees", he looks at me with a confused face and asks for cheese :wacko:

I'm hoping that when I start taking him and his sister to games, they'll fall in love with Melbourne (either that, or they'll realise pretty quickly that if they want their awesome cousin to take them to the park, let them watch endless amounts of DVDs and buy them all sorts of crap, they better start following the Dees ;))

And I definitely agree that it is far better to be in a relationship with someone who barracks for an opposition side, than someone who doesn't care about football and doesn't understand the importance of it. I can't think of anything worse than being with someone who tells me "but it's just a game, who care", or tries to tell me I should swap teams. Ugh!

How about "your team ALWAYS loses, why don't you just follow someone else?". Although to be fair I do ask myself that sometimes, but changing footy allegiances to me would be like changing your blood type.

My wife got the hint pretty quickly that that didn't go down well.

I can relate to that.

To be fair, when I was working in childcare I too tried to brainwash the kids.

I've been brainwashing my cousin since the day he was born, and at 19 months, when I tell him to say "Go Dees", he looks at me with a confused face and asks for cheese :wacko:

:lol:

Try singing the theme song to him next time. He'll forget about Cheese/Go Dees and will focus on the colours "red&blue". Works for me. I've almost got two Bulldog nephews.....just waiting for a few wins now by the Dees, to really ram it home...they like winners. :unsure: Next year.

I can't think of anything worse than being with someone who tells me "but it's just a game, who cares", or tries to tell me I should swap teams. Ugh!

Don't you just hate that!....I reckon I got that 19 times last year... <_<

:lol:

Try singing the theme song to him next time. He'll forget about Cheese/Go Dees and will focus on the colours "red&blue". Works for me. I've almost got two Bulldog nephews.....just waiting for a few wins now by the Dees, to really ram it home...they like winners. :unsure: Next year.

I had a teddy that sang the Melbourne theme song. I gave it to my cousins. Teddy then died in a tragic toilet accident (the little one went through a phase where he was fascinated with throwing things in the toilet and flushing the water) :(

My next plan of attack is to take them to a kids clinic. Does anyone know if they give them cheese at these things? :lol:

My wife didn't have a team before we started going out.

Upon moving to Australia to live I told her that supporting Melbourne was part of the deal for living together: your choice - the 'G or Tullamarine.

Now, she's a passionate fan who has been a member for longer than she's been a permanent resident!

West Coast, and fairly passionate despite not ever living there or having any real conection with Perth.

I have tried softening her up, I bought her a membership but she is a stubborn thing. About the only concession I have managed to wrangle out of her is that she won't stand in my way when I brainwash our children (if/when we have them) into bleeding for the Dees.

Same here JackAttack. My Partner is a "West Coast" Supporter, but has never seen them play. I doubt she even knows who plays for them now.

I class her as a Melbourne supporter. She comes to the games with me our son, and is happy to wear the Red & Blue at the games. Although she won't admit it.

Problem I have is she doesn't realise that if I'm watching the Dee's on the Telly, then I can't do anything else during that time. She doesn't have the passion for it that I have.

But I'm happy to have her come to the games. She enjoys it.

Gippy

I thought I would add my parents story to this thread.

They met at a football game.

My dad, an aboriginal man, grew up on the Murray River up near Echuca. He was a pretty good footballer and moved down to Melbourne at 19 in the mid 60's to see if he could get a run with either a VFA or a VFL team. He trained with a couple of VFA teams but never got a game. Apparently, there was also talk that he could have had a game with the Fitzroy reserves. But for one reason or another it never happened. So he played local footy for a few different inner suburban Melbourne clubs.

He was a big Fitzroy supporter.

At age 24 however my dad severely broke his ankle while playing football. It was the sort of injury that wouldn't heal properly, so it ended my dads football playing days and he ended up with a permanent limp.

He thought about returning home to Echuca but had made plenty of new friends in Melbourne and there were plenty of relatives living in and around Fitzory and Collingwood. So he stayed in Melbourne and to fill the void of the weekends he began to keenly follow Fitzroy, going to watch them play each week.

Meanwhile, my mum had come to Australia from Ireland. She arrived with her family as a 13 year old in 1961. Being Gaelic football fans, upon arriving here, the family took an immediate liking to Australian Football. My mum soon became a Melbourne supporter mainly because that was the club her dad chose. The reason he chose Melbourne was this; he simply asked one of his new workmates who the oldest club was. He was told it was Melbourne and that it was the club that invented the game. That was all he needed to know. Melbourne would be his team. So they started going to games and were there on Grand Final day in '64.

So, it's Round 11, 1972. Melbourne is playing Fitzroy at the Junction Oval. Now details are sketchy, my mum won't say much about it. But the story goes that my mum had dropped her copy of the Football Record and my dad picked it up for her. They were standing near one another in the outer at the Junction Oval. My dad struck up a conversation with her. So the story goes, at 3quarter time my dad asks my mum, "Would you like to go to a dance with me?" Apparently my mum shyly replied "Perhaps." Anyway, Fitzroy ends up winning by a point. After the game my dad asks my mum again. This time she says yes. Not sure when the dance was but they went and fell head over heals for one another.

About a year later they were married and I arrived in early 1974.

I have vague memories of going to the football as a very young boy in the '70's. I don't remember it much, but according to my mum, one week we would go see Fitzroy play, the next we would go watch Melbourne play. We did this for a few years.

Sadly, my dad died when I was 4 years old in late 1978. Cancer. Me and my mum didn't go to the football again until 1980. We began to go watch Melbourne play week in week out. We have been members of the football club ever since. My mum would also buy a Fitzroy membership and did each year right up until they merged with Brisbane at the end of '96.

• Like 1

My girlfriend's Hawthorn, but she's not all that passionate, so when we make our climb up the ladder, I'm hoping she'll jump ships.:P She will however be wearing her Hawthorn scarf, when we go on Sunday.:(

Mine's a bloody Dorks supporter due to her grandmother.

Sad really, her grandfather and mother are mad for the Dees and she probably would have been a Dee if it wasn't for the grandmother!!!

I'm not confident on any conversion, and also not confident on getting through the match without:

A: a headache

B: a domestic

C: a cold

My partner was a Saints Supporter. Once I stopped working Saturdays and was able to go to games every week - he either came with me or stayed home alone. Been a demon supporter & member for last 20 years