v Collingwood

praha

Now, maybe I'm looking into much into this, but am I the only one who thinks an early-season fixture against Collingwood kind of makes the Queens Birthday clash not as anticipated? I mean, the QB clash is known for Melb v. Collingwood, the only (or first of 2) clashes of the season between the two clubs, and it always has a strong sense of competitiveness, because it's the first time we face each other.

The reason I bring this up is because I genuinely believe that Demetriou has tried in the past, as best his power, to get a team to move out of Melbourne. He almost forced North, and then came out with comments such as, "your brand is worthless/you have no brand" in regards to Melbourne. I don't think it was right for him to make that statement, especially considering it was on the backfoot of the Roos deciding to stay in Melbourne and how bad the MFC was going off-field.

Then, last year he made a statement saying that we risk losing the QB match if we couldn't pull 50,000 to the game. WTF? Has he no sense of tradition? Culture? Even if the QB isn't as strong as the ANZAC game, it's probably the second most well known game on the fixture - everyone associates QB with Melbourne and Collingwood. I believe it was a personal swipe at Melbourne and I never believe a word that comes out of his mouth in regards to our club. I don't believe he genuinely wants all 10 teams to remain in Melbourne.

Anyway, I think it's ridiculous that we're playing them this early on with the QB game 10 weeks ago in Round 11. It just makes it feel less special (for me anyway). 2 games against the Pies is fine, but why not like last year? Imagine having Collingwood vs Essendon in Round 1, and then 6-7 weeks later in for ANZAC Day.

The QB clash will be even bigger than usual, as they will be out for revenge after we roll them this week.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
The QB clash will be even bigger than usual, as they will be out for revenge after we roll them this week.
how are we going to roll them, whos going to kick the goals, there in for a thumping on saturday.

playing the pies brings extra exposure. like it or not. another good challenge for our backline. Cheney will be needed to negate one of their small forwards

The game is won in the middle

by lack of supply i dont care if they had Hudson , Wade , Dunstall and Lockett

playing the biggest crowd pulling club is always a good thing for us

Correct. Playing a fired up Collingwood side, Saturday arvo at the G is a great way to not only give us further exposure, but also to see how far we have REALLY come. The Pies will want blood this weekend and it will be interesting to see how our young side goes!

Easy to answer, Collingwood saw we won the spoon and wanted to play us as early as possible. They wouldn't have to request this as part of their fixturing because the AFL would just know it is expected.

As for how the AFL treats us I think it is a case of forcing supporters of poorer clubs to face up to growing costs of AFL footy, tip more money in and thereby grow the game.

im aware of where the game is won, hence another good challenge for the backline

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
I don't see it tarnishing QB, although a very one-sided game may turn some people off the 'return' fixture.

Agree entirely. When we beat them by 112 pts this round we will lose money by not having all their bandwagoners at the QB.

One way or another the match will be called "revenge." Having two games within 10 rounds will make it MORE anticipated.

And if it's a draw, that'll only make it an even bigger deal.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.