WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - JACK WATTS

Freak

My god, did you not read the article?

Melbourne officials arrived at Watts' Sandringham home just before 6pm last night to end the agonising wait.

Watts will be the No. 1 section in today's draft, even if Melbourne must wait until moments after 10am to call his name.

I'm just happy that a decision has been made.

I got over the fact that my man Naitanui wasn't going to be picked up by us months ago.

Go you Bloody Demons!!!

Feels great to have it done. Haven't felt so good about the possibilities of the future ever.

Welcome Jack, welcome Watts family to the greatest football club in the land.

Boooooo! You've killed the suspense freak. Nice going.

Why am I on Demonland at 3am to find this out? Well that is another question altogether. I had a hunch it would get out before tomorrow (today?) though.

Title wrong. He will 'officially be a Demon' when his name is read out. And I, like Diablo, am a bit cheesed off I came on at this ungodly hour of the night to ruin the surprise. But if this is confirmed tomorrow, I will be a very happy man. I haven't commented on any potential draft picks until now, but I am firmly of the opinion that Naitanui will be a dud and would have been a wasted pick. I just couldn't be bothered debating the point. Clearly I have not done the groundwork that the recruiting staff have, but all the athletic ability in the world will not help you if you don't know how to get the footy or how to use it. He is too much of a risk and not what we need at this point. I feel Watts is a safer bet and I look forward to welcoming him tomorrow/today.

But I did always expect us to pick one of Watts or Naitanui, so pick 1 has been a bit boring for me. Though I would prefer Watts, I would accept the choice of Naitanui if Prendergast can see something that I don't. My real interest has always been picks 17 and 19. So many players could be selected here that the mystery is much more compelling. The only one who excites me as a prospect is Swift. The rest are all the same to me at the moment. Various people are blowing these kids' trumpets and giving us little tid-bits of information... Good at this, limited here, fast, slow, tall, short, forward, back etc. In the end, my thoughts on the quality of our selections will be influenced by the spin of the on this site who know more than me about these kids than I. I hope all you knowledgeable spin doctors can get me excited... :wub:

Title wrong. He will 'officially be a Demon' when his name is read out :wub:

Title has been edited to leave out the official part but we welcome Jack Watts who became a Demon (unoficially at least) anyway at about the same time that our little Jasmine Rose came into the world (and also became a Demon) :)

I'm putting up welcome posts for our other draftees but, in the case of these selections, they will remain locked until their names are called out at the draft table.

Welcome to Demonland - JACK WATTS

From www.afl.com.au

JACK WATTS

DOB: 26/3/91

Height: 195cm

Weight: 83kg

Club: Sandringham U18/Brighton Grammar

Bio: Watts is an athletic, strong-marking tall forward with pace who is an excellent shot on goal. He represented Vic Metro in 2008, winning the Larke Medal and All-Australian honours.

Jason McCartney says: He's super quick, very athletic and that's the basketball background coming through. I'd seen bits and pieces [of him], but to see him play centre half-forward in the first game of the championships and the surety of his hands and the way he controls the footy sometimes was amazing. He has good decision-making, but the mark he took with a minute-and-a-half left in that game – he was three or four deep in the pack but he just clunked it and went back and kicked the goal that won the game. He's a super-intelligent kid and what we found was that what we were delivering to the other kids he finds a bit boring and mundane, so you have to challenge him.

Watch highlights of Jack Watts in action

More on Watts:

* June 8 - Watts the goss, say recruiters - http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/watt...304.html?page=2

* July 4 - Metro trio prepares for last two - http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/2...px?newsId=62702

* July 7 - Young guns in focus - http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=62834

* July 8 - Watts a bit of pressure, asks Jack - http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=62919

* Oct 1 - Watts commits to 2008 draft - http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=68501

* Oct 2 – The four tops - http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/the-...2651177545.html

* Oct 4 - Melbourne likes Jack Watts it sees in draft tests - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...5-19742,00.html

* Nov 15 - Jack of all trades, master of one - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...3-19742,00.html

* Nov 15 - Teasing out the talent - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...5-19742,00.html

* Nov 15 - Jack Watts looking to muscle in - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...4-19742,00.html

* Nov 23 - Top draft picks tell No.1 prospect Jack Watts to ignore pressure - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...-19742,00.html

* Nov 24 – Picks of the draft: Jack Watts - http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/new...375063498.html

AFL.com video - http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/2...px?newsId=62650

2008 Championship highlights #1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzqCIRgJLw

2008 Championship highlights #2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzqCIRgJLw

Why I am on here again 4.5 hours later I don't know. Let's just say I've had a rough night, and it had nothing to do with any excitement about the draft...

Does anybody else find it a bit rich that the filthy Blues were able to wine and dine Kreuzer a full 3 days before the draft, then have him participate in all manner of promotional bollocks, yet we ask permission to reveal our choice 2 days early and get flatly rejected by the Kremlin. I appreciate that we were probably going to do more with the announcement, but it still reeks of double standards.

Anyway, a fantastic result for both parties. Jacky boy gets to stay in Victoria and complete his schooling with minimal interruption, and we get probably the best footballer, and nearly the best athlete, in the draft.

What's more, H won't have to admit himself to the nuthouse.

My god, did you not read the article?

Yep. Read it. Still didn't see anything definitive. They said Melbourne had turned up to their house. There wasn't an interview, a press conference, no-one from MFC was quoted definitively... Seemed like a [censored] fluff piece to me. With little readership other than MFC supporters who'd be online at 1:30am.

But who cares, Jack was coming to the club a LONG time ago, as you rightly suggested.

Yep. Read it. Still didn't see anything definitive. They said Melbourne had turned up to their house. There wasn't an interview, a press conference, no-one from MFC was quoted definitively... Seemed like a [censored] fluff piece to me. With little readership other than MFC supporters who'd be online at 1:30am.

But who cares, Jack was coming to the club a LONG time ago, as you rightly suggested.

The picture on the back page of the Sun with Bailey, Schwab and Stynes all in suits outside Jack Watts' house is pretty definitive for me.

The picture on the back page of the Sun with Bailey, Schwab and Stynes all in suits outside Jack Watts' house is pretty definitive for me.

HA! I just posted that last one, went down to get a coffee, and got the paper.... felt a bit sheepish...

We're having a brekkie/lunch here with the local dees fans, Jackattack and a few others... celebrating the big day with drinks.

This is the closest thing we'll get to a celebration over the next couple of years, so LAP IT UP!!!

SEN interview with Jack Watts NOW

'Dees are a great club'

Wasn't sure if he was a Demon until last night, as HUN reported

'I'm still 17, got a lot of learning to do, plenty of improvement left in me, got to get my body right'. Isn't sure about playing next year.

He spoke very well for a very young kid

Thank god. We have our next star FF/CHF here :D

Even though he is a number 1 pick, we need to remember he is 17 and doing year 12 next year, so we shouldnt expect anything out of him. Hopefully he can just train well and injury free, Get some good experience against men in VFL, become part of the club and good mates with the team, and put on some size in the gym.

Then 2010 and beyond hopefully he will be in the 22 for good!

Welcome to the club Jack :)

Thank god. We have our next star FF/CHF here :D

Even though he is a number 1 pick, we need to remember he is 17 and doing year 12 next year, so we shouldnt expect anything out of him. Hopefully he can just train well and injury free, Get some good experience against men in VFL, become part of the club and good mates with the team, and put on some size in the gym.

Then 2010 and beyond hopefully he will be in the 22 for good!

Welcome to the club Jack :)

Good point....I suspect he will play with the Scorpions early on in the season.....his situation is like that of Addam Maric....doing year 12....started the year with Sandy then finished off the year with Melbourne.....big difference of course is being the #1 pick..from 2010 onwards is when Melbourne will really get the value from Jack Watts...

At least if he plays the 1st game for the Scorpions he won't have far to go..he only lives just over a Kilometre from Sandy's ground...a pleasant stroll along Beach Road....long as he doesn't pop into the Sandy Pub along the way!!.....plus he has played there before with the Sandringham Dragons

Congratulations to Jack...