Jeff Chapman - wealthy past player

Did Demonlanders read the article in the Herald Sun today about former Melbourne forward Jeff Chapman who is the chairman of multi-national funds management company, Bennelong? Apparently he's worth half a billion!

I remember his two (forgettable) games in '66, but I also remember seeing him following the Dees in the 80's having a drink on the MCC balcony bar.

Perhaps he could be approached by some of his MFC devotee Old Carey contemporaries like John Grange, Peter Freeman or Rex Trumble to become a major Demons sponsor.

After all, while Jeff likes to keep a low profile, Bennelong could perhaps benefit from becoming more of a household name in Melbourne.

Any thoughts?

You mean, this Jeff Chapman and this article - Jeff Chapman is a good sport, and man of mystery?

I remember him well. He came to the club at the wrong time. Our glory period was over and we were on our way down by 1966. Chapman was a young forward who had to slot into a team that was every bit as woeful as the Demons of 2008. Good to see his business career is light years away and above in quality and quantity than was his football career (and I mean that in the nicest possible way Jeff - you have fantastic initials and if you could see your way to slinging a sponsorship in the direction of your old club, you might even be regarded as well or better than the other JC's known around these parts :rolleyes: !)

Obviously a topic not worthy of comment. Apologies for bringing it up.

JJC I think you'll find most of the action happening over on the draft/trade forum. As for the actual topic of conversation, I've nothing to add, other than I'd be extremely grateful for any largesse the ex-player in question threw our way.

Obviously a topic not worthy of comment. Apologies for bringing it up.

Sounds like you need to apologise to the target of your topic JJC. Clearly not a bloke who likes publicity or to see his name in the papers. Shame really because he sounds like a very worthwhile human being. Given nothing would bring more publicity than slinging $$ into a football club (ask Joe) I doubt we will ever know if he has or will?

• 2 months later...

Did Demonlanders read the article in the Herald Sun today about former Melbourne forward Jeff Chapman who is the chairman of multi-national funds management company, Bennelong? Apparently he's worth half a billion!I remember his two (forgettable) games in '66, but I also remember seeing him following the Dees in the 80's having a drink on the MCC balcony bar.Perhaps he could be approached by some of his MFC devotee Old Carey contemporaries like John Grange, Peter Freeman or Rex Trumble to become a major Demons sponsor. After all, while Jeff likes to keep a low profile, Bennelong could perhaps benefit from becoming more of a household name in Melbourne.Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that a bloke that loaded who is passionate about the MFC should be donating a 6 figure sum without even being approached.

My thoughts are that a bloke that loaded who is passionate about the MFC should be donating a 6 figure sum without even being approached.

Well that won't happen. I'd make the approach. It probably already has been made.

Exactly, wealth doesn't come easy. People seem to think wealthy people should be obliged to give away their hard earned money.

Yeah agree with that, but surely if he cares about the club he should be obliged to donate a little bit of money given his extreme wealth. What's a spare $20,000 if you're worth millions.

If he doesn't give a damn about the club, then fine don't donate.

That being said, he may have already contributed to the debt demolition.

Yeah agree with that, but surely if he cares about the club he should be obliged to donate a little bit of money given his extreme wealth. What's a spare $20,000 if you're worth millions.

If he doesn't give a damn about the club, then fine don't donate.

That being said, he may have already contributed to the debt demolition.

I'd be very surprised if he hasn't, but by the sound of things we'd never know & that's the way he likes it. Fine with me.

He's not in the list of '150 Foundation Heroes' or the Debt Demolition Donors list in the MFC Magazine. So if he has contributed then it wasn't through those means.

But honestly I'm not that comfortable with any suggestion that a person 'ought' or 'should' give their money to one thing or another. He may have other priorities (the article mentioned research into eating disorders, for instance) that come first, and that is his call.

Still, a close read of the '150 heroes' list was an elnightening experience - some names I recognsed included.

Well, most of the new board, for a start. And several of their family members, too, by the looks of it. This new board is seriously immersed in the job, and it looks like they have real family support to get stuck into it. Another small positive sign.

Garry Lyon

Brock Mclean

Chris Connollly

David Neitz

Ron Barassi

Steven Febey

Greg Healy

Paul Hopgood

Anothony Ingerson

Jim Stynes

Brian Wilson

If anyone has the time and knows past players better than me, maybe they can add to the list?

Jumping Jack Clennett - you'got to be an Old Carey Grammarian to drag Jeff Chapman's name up.

He actually played a few games with Hawthorn after his stint at Melbourne.

Not sure he's going to be the saviour of the MFC - but if he's looking at charitable causes, may be he'll look our way

• 4 years later...

Really? Thats a pretty foolish thing to say.

• Like 2

What a load of BS, tell that to the people who have donated alot of money to melbourne over the years only to have the club waste it.

I work for Reece Plumbing, the owner of the companys name is Alan Wilson & a quick Google search you'll find he's worth well over a billion dollars. Passionate Demon & a great bloke but will not put a cent in until he's seen a well run club for a sustained period of time.

• Like 1

I work for Reece Plumbing, the owner of the companys name is Alan Wilson & a quick Google search you'll find he's worth well over a billion dollars. Passionate Demon & a great bloke but will not put a cent in until he's seen a well run club for a sustained period of time.

Let us hope he has seen Jackson interviewed on the couch.

Yet his son is a one-eyed Pie. Goes to show the trouble we have passing the MFC chalice down the generations.