Jeff Chapman - wealthy past player

I work for Reece Plumbing, the owner of the companys name is Alan Wilson & a quick Google search you'll find he's worth well over a billion dollars. Passionate Demon & a great bloke but will not put a cent in until he's seen a well run club for a sustained period of time.

Yet his son is a one-eyed Pie. Goes to show the trouble we have passing the MFC chalice down the generations.

Both Wilsons snr and junior are really good people - jnr was captain at Old Camberwell when I was there in the 90's needless to say Reece was our major sponsor and the club was well looked after! Wasn't aware that dad was a mad MFC supporter - get him and Reece on board!

I think Jeff Chapman would have a fair understanding of Melbourne's plight from his brief taste of league football in the two opening rounds of season 1966.

I remember the time well. I was in the final year of high school and, as a Demon fan, I had to that stage never experienced the feeling of my team hanging around the bottom of the ladder. For over a decade, we had been perennial finalists (that meant top 4 in those days) and my first experience of missing out on the finals came a year earlier in 1965 when, after winning the first eight games, the bottom fell out and we lost 8 out of the last ten games to finish seventh.

On the face of it we recruited well over the summer of 1965-6. Our #1 recruit was Ross Dillon a young key forward from Kyabram. In fact, it became apparent during the early practice matches (they were usually intraclub in those days) that we were well served by prospective tall forwards (an area where we had been lacking in recent years). We had "stolen" Carey Grammar forward Jeff Chapman from out of Hawthorn's clutches (imagine that happening these days?), had Mortlake's Bob Russell, Kerry Ryan from Prahran and Rod Meldrum (Sale). Another young player who had a few VFL games experience under his belt was Maurie Bartlett. We also had a couple of promising ruckmen in Brendan Behan and Robert Stewart and another, Ed Burston who the Demons were trying to lure from University Blacks was also about to make a start to his short VFL career (he flew in from Hawaii for his first practice game a week before the start of the season). Terry Leahy, brother of players Brian and John was a handy utility who would win the Truscott Medal in his first season. Neville Stone was another who had played in an end of season night game in 1965.

I remember going to the practice match at Old Scotch oval to watch the strongly built Chapman kick 7 goals 6 (after he kicked 5 the week before). At the other end of the ground Ryan kicked 6.5. Suddenly, the vibe at the club looked very, very good. The expectation was that we were about to improve dramatically with such an abundance of up and coming forward line and ruck talent but then ... nothing happened.

Chapman got the nod at FF for the first game but it didn't work. He kicked just one of four goals in a team that lost to St. Kilda by 76 points. Other first gamers were Burston, Dillon, Leahy, Russell, Stewart and Stone. A week later the Demons were thrashed again at Glenferrie Oval kicking a measly three goals (Chapman scored one). It was to be Jeff Chapman's last game in a season that started every bit as badly as this year.

If he gets the job as Club Chairman it is to be hoped that he presides over more success in his off-field role than he had as a player.

[FOOTNOTE: Burston kicked six goals in a game against Hawthorn later that season but was soon dropped and never played again. Dillon injured a knee after 6 games and missed a year before returning for a moderately successful season. Leahy had issues with the club after winning the Bluey and left to play elsewhere. Most of the others never made it, we finished second last and it took the club another two decades before it made the finals again.]

• Like 1

I think Jeff Chapman would have a fair understanding of Melbourne's plight from his brief taste of league football in the two opening rounds of season 1966.

I remember the time well. I was in the final year of high school and, as a Demon fan, I had to that stage never experienced the feeling of my team hanging around the bottom of the ladder. For over a decade, we had been perennial finalists (that meant top 4 in those days) and my first experience of missing out on the finals came a year earlier in 1965 when, after winning the first eight games, the bottom fell out and we lost 8 out of the last ten games to finish seventh.

On the face of it we recruited well over the summer of 1965-6. Our #1 recruit was Ross Dillon a young key forward from Kyabram. In fact, it became apparent during the early practice matches (they were usually intraclub in those days) that we were well served by prospective tall forwards (an area where we had been lacking in recent years). We had "stolen" Carey Grammar forward Jeff Chapman from out of Hawthorn's clutches (imagine that happening these days?), had Mortlake's Bob Russell, Kerry Ryan from Prahran and Rod Meldrum (Sale). Another young player who had a few VFL games experience under his belt was Maurie Bartlett. We also had a couple of promising ruckmen in Brendan Behan and Robert Stewart and another, Ed Burston who the Demons were trying to lure from University Blacks was also about to make a start to his short VFL career (he flew in from Hawaii for his first practice game a week before the start of the season). Terry Leahy, brother of players Brian and John was a handy utility who would win the Truscott Medal in his first season. Neville Stone was another who had played in an end of season night game in 1965.

I remember going to the practice match at Old Scotch oval to watch the strongly built Chapman kick 7 goals 6 (after he kicked 5 the week before). At the other end of the ground Ryan kicked 6.5. Suddenly, the vibe at the club looked very, very good. The expectation was that we were about to improve dramatically with such an abundance of up and coming forward line and ruck talent but then ... nothing happened.

Chapman got the nod at FF for the first game but it didn't work. He kicked just one of four goals in a team that lost to St. Kilda by 76 points. Other first gamers were Burston, Dillon, Leahy, Russell, Stewart and Stone. A week later the Demons were thrashed again at Glenferrie Oval kicking a measly three goals (Chapman scored one). It was to be Jeff Chapman's last game in a season that started every bit as badly as this year.

If he gets the job as Club Chairman it is to be hoped that he presides over more success in his off-field role than he had as a player.

[FOOTNOTE: Burston kicked six goals in a game against Hawthorn later that season but was soon dropped and never played again. Dillon injured a knee after 6 games and missed a year before returning for a moderately successful season. Leahy had issues with the club after winning the Bluey and left to play elsewhere. Most of the others never made it, we finished second last and it took the club another two decades before it made the finals again.]

That was quite illuminating, WJ. Can you also shed some light on these guys from that season: Vearing, Catlin, Jungwirth, Dowsing. As a child, the first game i truly followed was round One Match of the day v StKilda and we were hammered.

Ken Jungwirth was another prospective key forward we had up our sleeves. He booted three goals on debut v Essendon in Melbourne's shock round 7 win but failed to fire after that game and transferred to Carlton the following year.

The others on that list were small men. Catlin rose from the fourths to the firsts in one year to debut as a 16 year old but his career was also short lived.

You had to bring all that back up again. I was there that fateful day. The Saints had a fair side to say the least.

They were having the better of us,but I had faith we would come out after 1/2 time and in true Demon style win a hard fought game. If my memory hasn't deserted me, we were kicking to the Punt Rd end, scored a point, the Saints kicked out, and Ian Cooper took a hanger (Howe style) on Hugh Brommell (No 12) from that inspiring grab near the centre (no square back then), it was all over. Its been all over ever since.

*sigh* back to therapy again for me. Scarred for life.

I had been keeping track of all our 3 teams back then and for a few years later. I could rattle off all 50 plus players and their numbers they wore, but Chapman isnt one I can recall.

You had to bring all that back up again. I was there that fateful day. The Saints had a fair side to say the least.

They were having the better of us,but I had faith we would come out after 1/2 time and in true Demon style win a hard fought game. If my memory hasn't deserted me, we were kicking to the Punt Rd end, scored a point, the Saints kicked out, and Ian Cooper took a hanger (Howe style) on Hugh Brommell (No 12) from that inspiring grab near the centre (no square back then), it was all over. Its been all over ever since.

*sigh* back to therapy again for me. Scarred for life.

I had been keeping track of all our 3 teams back then and for a few years later. I could rattle off all 50 plus players and their numbers they wore, but Chapman isnt one I can recall.

I think you're talking about the Queens Birthday massacre of 14 June 1965 which put an end to our winning run of eight in a row. I rank Cooper's as the greatest mark I've ever seen. He was standing on peoples' heads - it was the quintessential screamer.

I wrote about that day once as part of a momentous period in the history of mankind. On the following day, Bob Dylan went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. The world has never been the same ever since.

Chapman made his debut in the round 1 match in the following year. He wore the number 17 and if you're reading this Jeff ... this thread should be enough to prompt you to tip in a few mill. I'll match you a dollar for every million.

:wub: (I'm not proud).

I think you're talking about the Queens Birthday massacre of 14 June 1965 He Chapman made his debut in the round 1 match in the following year. He wore the number 17 and if you're reading this Jeff ... this thread should be enough to prompt you to tip in a few mill. I'll match you a dollar for every million.

:wub: (I'm not proud).

Like I said been trying to forget that. Date had been erased, been doing my best ever since to forget I was even there.

Too make that year my worst on record, (Smith sacked, Barassi deserted). Townsend (after I ripped 31 off the jumper) decided to cut costs and used the '1' turned into No 16, Townsend went down with a knee reco, he was never the same again.

I;m surpirsed I dont remember Chapman doing so well in the praccie matches. perhaps my attention was more focused on Dillon, then G.Parke.

But I'm willing to recall every kick he ever had, If he drops a few bucks in. ;)

To run salt into my wounds, the junior school later in the year was to play in a GF. After we beat all other schools for that privilege. The Thurs night (team selection) we were told there would be a 'special' guest to address us. ( I thought better be from Melb, We wore red and blue then went back to back.So I got something back.)

To my horror it was yabby jeans, I'm still getting over the hiding they gave us, a few months earlier, he is standing 8ft in front of me, well if looks could kill.......

PS If you chip in a buck for every million, I dont mind counting what you chip in. I'd hate to see you lose out.

Edited by DeeVoted

Jeff Chapman seems to have the right experience, from the little info you can find that is. We need a Chairman who knows how to run a board and understands Governance and how to build a business up. In regards to sponsorship or providing large amounts of Cash to the MFC that only blurs the lines in regards to being a Chair.

The board review alluded to the danger "A number of Board members joined the Board in mid 2008 when the MFC had limited management skills,lacked resources and had significant debt. This resulted in a blurring of roles of the Board and management, as Board members were immersed in “running the club” and eliminating the debt."

The CEO runs the day to day operations and the Board provides strategies and policies that ensure that the MFC is a viable entity.

I mentioned Chapman's name to the Chris Connolly at a function about 18 months ago - well before Mr McLean stirred the pot and put CC on the skids.

I was a bit surprised that he had" never heard of him "as either a businessman, philanthropist ........ or former player. He said he would specifically follow it up. If he did, he got nowhere!!

I mentioned Chapman's name to the Chris Connolly at a function about 18 months ago - well before Mr McLean stirred the pot and put CC on the skids.

I was a bit surprised that he had" never heard of him "as either a businessman, philanthropist ........ or former player. He said he would specifically follow it up. If he did, he got nowhere!!

He did get somewhere but his report's now locked up in the vault.