Junior re-signs

alpha33

seems like all the young guys look up to him so i think its a good decision to keep him on for one more year, he still plays well.

hopefully he wont kick the ball next year....

he cost us two goals on the weekend.

goal one was just before half time when he tried to kick inboard and totally over cooked it to an opponent = goal

goal two was when he did a pathetic little ten metre kick to bruce in the middle of the ground when he was storming throught the middle = goal

his disposal has gotten worse and the pace he once didnt have has also gotten worse

unsure of this decision to be honest.. think he could be more helpful in a mentor/midfield coaching type roal for '09

Happy to see the Demons re-sign him.

And to those who thought he was one of those players the Demons should be looking to trade................yeh....you know who you are!

He stuck it right up you!.........ie Goose!, Jimmy!, etc

He will provide valuable leadership to the younger brigade, with his in and under type play.

goal one was just before half time when he tried to kick inboard and totally over cooked it to an opponent = goal

After that kick he just stood there, hands on knees and watched North kick a goal. When you make a mistake bust your arse to try and fix it Junior!!!

The game on the weekend, and several this year, has shown that the game has well and truly past Junior by.

However if he's on the list for another year to help the youth develop, rather than on football ability, then to me it's a pass mark, just.

But i would prefer him on the team than one C. Bruce. Lets see what happens with him come trade week.

And to those who thought he was one of those players the Demons should be looking to trade................yeh....you know who you are!

He stuck it right up you!.........ie Goose!, Jimmy!, etc

People thought we could trade McDonald? :blink:

A little surprised he's staying on, but at worst will be decent depth.

I still don't think he's as bad as some people are suddenly making out.

People thought we could trade McDonald? :blink:

A little surprised he's staying on, but at worst will be decent depth.

I still don't think he's as bad as some people are suddenly making out.

He was a bit rusty at the weekend and probably not 100% fit. Better for the run, as they say.

High Tower

mate your Thick!!!

did i say i thought we should trade him did i??

i actually said we should send him on his way.... he cost us goals on the weekend.. and with mclean maloney buckley jones green Bruce (pathetic) valenti grimes i see no room for him in the midfield

his leadership and experience would have been better in the box next year!

Junior has the work ethic and attitude that Bailey will want to keep around the club as he tries to change the culture of the playing group. Junior is a shining example of how Bailey wants the team to act on and off field, with his selfless defensive running, tackling and super hard running. Also as a professional who keeps getting the best out of himself. Junior is still very worthy of a spot in our side for all these reasons and his ability to instill these selfless, team oriented characteristics into our younger players.

Our culture has been crap for years and Junior is the type of players that should be used as an example of what it should be. Hopefully so many players pass him by next year that his example is made in large parts at Sandy.

In reality MacDonald is just about finished as a footballer and wouldn't make the best 22 in a top 8 side. That said, it's understandable that he's retained for the various reasons already outlined.

In reality MacDonald is just about fiinished as a footballer and wouldn't make the best 22 in a top 8 side. That said, it's understandable that he's retained for the various reasons already outlined.

Are we trying to get into the top 8 next year? Or are we looking to win a premiership in the long run. Bailey in my opinion is trying to get the right culture at our club, probably the reason why the likes of Whelan and McDonald are getting games over Yze and White. When I think of Whelan and McDonald I think of hard at it types, who give their all. What do you think when the names White and Yze are thrown at you?

I support Junior staying on and too many have judged him harshly for one turnover on Sunday against North Melbourne, rather than looking at his whole career. I wouldnt get too hung up on his age, as he started AFL quite late compared to others.

Congratulations on the new contract Junior, well earned.

Are we trying to get into the top 8 next year? Or are we looking to win a premiership in the long run. Bailey in my opinion is trying to get the right culture at our club, probably the reason why the likes of Whelan and McDonald are getting games over Yze and White. When I think of Whelan and McDonald I think of hard at it types, who give their all. What do you think when the names White and Yze are thrown at you?

I support Junior staying on and too many have judged him harshly for one turnover on Sunday against North Melbourne, rather than looking at his whole career. I wouldnt get too hung up on his age, as he started AFL quite late compared to others.

Congratulations on the new contract Junior, well earned.

As I said it's "understandable". Our window for a flag is 5-7 years.

Junior has the work ethic and attitude that Bailey will want to keep around the club as he tries to change the culture of the playing group. Junior is a shining example of how Bailey wants the team to act on and off field, with his selfless defensive running, tackling and super hard running. Also as a professional who keeps getting the best out of himself. Junior is still very worthy of a spot in our side for all these reasons and his ability to instill these selfless, team oriented characteristics into our younger players.

Our culture has been crap for years and Junior is the type of players that should be used as an example of what it should be. Hopefully so many players pass him by next year that his example is made in large parts at Sandy.

Agree with this completely.

goal two was when he did a pathetic little ten metre kick to bruce in the middle of the ground when he was storming throught the middle = goal

his disposal has gotten worse and the pace he once didnt have has also gotten worse

unsure of this decision to be honest.. think he could be more helpful in a mentor/midfield coaching type roal for '09

The man just came back from 3 week's off and a groin injury his kicking can be understandably worse.

Signing Junior is the right decision although we are looking towards youth we still need a good foundation of experianced players

I can't decide whether to like or dislike this. On the one hand I love Junior and his work-ethic, and everything he's done for the MFC. On the other hand, seeing him play last weekend I think highlighted how much the game has passed him by; not just in his poor disposal but his speed as well. Sometimes I thought he got a bit lost on the ground. But overall I think 1 year might be the best for all involved.

In reality MacDonald is just about finished as a footballer and wouldn't make the best 22 in a top 8 side.

Disagree, he'd take Fiora's spot at St.Kilda, or even O'Bree's spot at Collingwood. Just to name a couple.

In reality MacDonald is just about finished as a footballer and wouldn't make the best 22 in a top 8 side. That said, it's understandable that he's retained for the various reasons already outlined.

Also disagree. He would be in the first 22 at every club, provided he had been there his entire career. His playing ability is not the only factor in his being selected every week. I see his situation as being comparable to that of Robert Harvey, Shannon Grant, Warren Tredrea, and so on. It's too simplistic to just drop senior players on the rationale that, if arbitrarily transplanted into another team, they wouldn't get a spot based on their playing ability. It's clear that statistics aren't the only factors influencing whether or not many veterans play each week.

Hey Gouga and co. You still think Junior is gone? One weeks a long time in football. One bad kick against north melbourne didnt sway the football club's decision on the future of junior. Thank God you blokes arent in charge.