Colin Sylvia's hit out count

Pipefitter

Was at ground level today and saw him sail over the top of a pack in the dying minutes for a ruck tap out... The guy's leap is something else. Gets so much air... If only he could use it when going for the pack marks more, like he did in his first 10 or 15 matches...

There really is an amazing upside to the guy if we persist. He really has all the goods. Great on the lead, pretty decent mark, plus has the ability to play as a genuine rover in ball up situations which is very handy as a key forward. The sky is the limit with sylvia, its all in his hands.

Correct. Its all in his head. If Bails ever gets this right, we will enjoy going to the footy every time Sylvia crosses the white line! :unsure:

Col seems to have matured in his approach to the game. With the undoubted skills and freaky physical ability he has it has probably taken someone like Bails, with the teacher type aspect to his role as coach, to help Col join the dots so he can see how to be consistently more effective as a team player.

My crystal ball says Col will be one of the most exciting forward line players for years to come. With more confidence and direction he will become a nightmare for opposition coaches.

He seems to think he is a ruckman.

This has been a specific instruction from the coaching panel in the past; get a third man up whenever possible. It wouldn't surprise me if it were the case again.

The Kid had the highest vertical leap at the 2003 draft camp.

He has so many weapons that its not even funny.

Bailey will turn Sylvia into a matchwinning superstar.

I must say that Colin is one of my favourite players, i simply love what he COULD offer. Just waiting for him to consistently show it.

About his ruck work, i have no problem with it, and i am sure it is a plan for the team.It just looks like nobody knows when he is going to do it. So when he does hit it forward, there is nobody there.

There either needs to be more communication or some sort of signal, as i noticed 2 or 3 times in the first quarter when he did it that he hit it to nobody.

I think it is a good idea when it works though.

The hard thing about Sylvia has been his persistent history of injuries. It's harsh to assess his attitude or achievements so far because of this. He had his first full pre season this year and although injured early in the season he seems to be showing the benefits of being injury free. If he's over his OP then watch this space. It's really time for him to step up and he seems to be starting to do that.

The Kid had the highest vertical leap at the 2003 draft camp.

He has so many weapons that its not even funny.

Bailey will turn Sylvia into a matchwinning superstar.

That's exactly the problem with Colin. He has all the skills and assets to be a top grade league footballer, but a combination of injury and attitude has left him as a massively underperforming 63 gamer. Potential yes. Execution, not yet. And Bailey own't turn anyone into anything. It is up to Sylvia to become the footballer he wants to become. Attitude first, learning second.

There is no way that Sylvia will ever be a midfielder.

But he's developing into a reasonable medium sized forward.

Does anyone else think he is a bit of a Robbo clone i.e. speed, aerial ability, strong hands??

His kicking is even reminiscent of a young Robbo - a bit wayward but it's improving.

Nah, I think he could be a very good forward in a similar mould to Robbo.

On further thought, I think we saw what Colin will be known for in his career on the weekend.

It seems to me that the most damaging and effective players in the league these days are defined by their one or two srengths... those that set them SLIGHTLY apart from their competitors... They have weaknesses that are well documented, but their strengths outweigh them, and ultimately make the weaknesses pale into insignificance.

- Buddy has his groundwork, left boot, physical characteristics... It was believed he wasn't great through the air, but is anyone complaining now?

- Fev has his guns, and his right boot. He's a peanut, and had a reputation of being stuck in the forward 50, not working hard enough. Under Pagan he put aside the drinking and started working, now look at him.

- Burton/Robbo have their leaps. Robbo ONLY has a leap and one of the all-time greatest chest marks, and perhaps an accurate kick. He's a feared forward, and really it's ONLY because of his kamikaze footy. In truth he goes to ground too often, goes missing, doesn't tackle... But he's still one of the best going around.

- Brown has his physical strength, kick, marking, leading... well everything really. But he has a sus body. Does anyone worry about that?

It seems to me that Colin is the kind of player that has those few tricks that can set him apart if he lets them. The leap, the beautiful marking technique through the air, the smart leading, the BOOMING right boot (which could be more accurate IMO), the unbelievable tackling ability... On the weekend I saw guys continually bounce off him. For a 22 year old he's starting to stamp a physical authority on games in the way he was reputed to as a junior. Now he may have a worrying groin, he may play in bursts, his tank may not be too developed, and his handball is one of the worst in the team... and for those reasons his career as a midfielder will be stunted... but as a forward, he could very easily have a few All Australian quality seasons.

Ask yourself: Could Colin, with a pre-season, luck and no OP kick 60 goals in a season? Effectively averaging a tick under 3 a match? I think he could. What's more, I think with more inside fifties, one day soon he WILL kick 60 in a season...

If fit for a few years..... Sylvia will be the next Mark Riccuitto but with a better leap!

Mark my words.... That is exactly who he reminds me of....

Ahhhh, yes!. Hes going to be as tough as nails like Riccuito too.

Does anyone else think he is a bit of a Robbo clone i.e. speed, aerial ability, strong hands??

His kicking is even reminiscent of a young Robbo - a bit wayward but it's improving.

Nah, I think he could be a very good forward in a similar mould to Robbo.

Does he have the leap that Robertson did..?

i really dnt care how many hit outs he gts as long as he kicks goals and helps us win!!!!!

DO DEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

but i think he cod be good in either the forward or midfield.

midfield coz he can run and kick well while running and while still... and the forward for the same reasons!

but if u lyk him or not u cant say he has no skill coz that kids an absolute GUN!!!!

He has a real future in this mighty club!

Ahhhh, yes!. Hes going to be as tough as nails like Riccuito too.

When he was drafted Riccuito was who he was compared too in the profiles....

He will be a sensation when he builds some momentum up....