• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

brock mclean

tarzan16

i want to know peoples opinion on mr mclean. i was watching him in the queens birthday clash against the scum and to me he seems fat and slow, players were passing him with ease, also his attitude is poor; looks like he doesn't give a [censored], for a man that has be lauded by others and himself as a future captain i think he'll be lucky to get a game if he doesn't improve. people will argue about his injuries but if you're injured dont play!

what do u think????

ta

:unsure:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to know peoples opinion on mr mclean. i was watching him in the queens birthday clash against the scum and to me he seems fat and slow, players were passing him with ease, also his attitude is poor; looks like he doesn't give a [censored], for a man that has be lauded by others and himself as a future captain i think he'll be lucky to get a game if he doesn't improve. people will argue about his injuries but if you're injured dont play!

what do u think????

ta

Well he is lucky not to be dropped is he.

Malthouse gave him best on ground last monday night.

I don't think this topic needs further discussion

what do u think????

ta

have you looked at the stats of the game? do me a favour, bring up his stats, and paste them here. then we can chat about his game. out of interest, also paste scott burns stats, he was lauded as best on ground by many i think.

RE looks slow, he is. he is very slow. he is one paced - he runs hard all day imo but does not have an extra burst when he needs it, and im not sure he ever will.

fwiw, malthouse gave brock 5 votes (best on ground) in the afl coaches association player of the year award.

Brock is ranked 9th in the AFL for disposals, 8th in tackles, 5th in clearances and 9th in contested possessions.

Do some research before posting, it'll save you a lot of embarrassment.

And yes he is slow, but that's hardly something he has control over. Still doesn't stop him getting 30 odd possessions a game though.

School holidays already? :rolleyes:

what do u think????

ta

pardon me for posting and having an opinion!!! jeez

u can quote all the stats u want, most of those supposed possesions are either sideways or backwards, i think he is quality and COULD be a real star, in a team that needs one. what annoys me is that he could become another Travis Johnstone, all the skills and guile but not consistant enough. i know it must be hard to get up and play in a team that is so lacking motivation, i just think its time for him to step up and set an example.

ps lay off the stats guys, dont mean [censored] if they are inneffective!! :lol:

Some think of McLean as our dynamic, elite, midfielder of the future but he isn't.

He is a fantastic accumulator of possessions, including clearances, but his agility and mobility is limited.

That does not mean he won't become a great player, I think he will by sheer force of will on is part but don't inflate his abilities or you will be disappointed.

He is not our Chris Judd, but he might be our Robert Harvey. And there is nothing wrong with that.

And he is playing incredibly well for someone who is getting closely marked every game.

some midfielders dominate through sheer pace, strength and agility- Gablett, Judd and Shaun Burgoyne.

Others dominate through workhorse like running, accumulation of possessions and overall influence on the contest- Sam Mitchel, Kane Cornes, Greg Williams.

Both of these types of midfielders can be equally damaging and equally great.

Mclean is obviously in the second category, but that doesn't mean he won't be able to be a star of the competition.

He is a great player, and if he plays like he did again Collingwood every week, by the end of his career he will be known as a star.

I thought his work at the stoppages and the leadership he showed on Queens bday was OUTSTANDING imo

u can quote all the stats u want, most of those supposed possesions are either sideways or backwards, i think he is quality and COULD be a real star, in a team that needs one. what annoys me is that he could become another Travis Johnstone, all the skills and guile but not consistant enough. i know it must be hard to get up and play in a team that is so lacking motivation, i just think its time for him to step up and set an example.

ps lay off the stats guys, dont mean [censored] if they are inneffective!! :lol:

Stats mean a lot if you are questioning someones endeavour. Tackles, clearances, hard ball gets, possession total. If you are among the highest in these areas every week and you are still running hard enough to get possessions you are working hard. He is consistently good in these areas and I would suggest he would put Trav to shame on recent form. From memory his possession efficiency was 76% .

Brock is however a Volvo and not a Porsche.

Tarzan16, you have to understand, you are so far off the mark that people are assuming you're trolling. That's why you are getting such a harsh response.

All here acknowledge that Mclean lacks leg speed, and has at times struggled with taggers. But that's just about it. He has been our top player in the packs, makes a good effort to get to contests and has often been the guy who best responded to a turnover up-field - in both awareness and speed of action. He leads the Demonland B&F votes easily for a good reason. His best is decisive and can turn the momentum of a game. His worst appears to be behind him, certainly the poorer patches are become steadily rarer and briefer.

If I'm not mistaken Geelong got rid of Greg Williams

because he was slow!

Brock McLean might not have great acceleration but

being smart makes up for that deficiency.

No worries with Brock, he'll go all day.

Imagine him on a wet track

i think he'll be lucky to get a game if he doesn't improve.

You don't wan to rethink this do you?

2 reasons why it doesn't make any sense.

1: He's pretty much the only guy in the side racking up enough possessions to be called anywhere in the vicinity of elite.

2: In the current side, it would be EXTRAORDINARY to see him dropped. He's one of our few winners and one of our best (if not our best) clearance players)

A couple of quick stats I heard... Firstly, the side is apparently doing quite well with clearances statistically... Obviously we're not translating it to success on the board, but we are strong in that area...

Secondly, I read in yesterdays paper (or Inside Footy I can't remember which) that Brock is among the worst in the league for long-short kick ratio... I'd like to see him back himself a bit more rather than switching up play. It's probably due more to DB's game-plan than anything, and the fact that the right option ALWAYS seems to be the guy 20 metres from him... but still... I remember in his first couple of years he was a solid kick over 50 metres. Not much MORE than that obviously, but I liked watching him dob it from the paint too, on the run...

I'm growing tired of ridiculous topics like this. I don't even bother with Demonology anymore because there were so many topics started just attacking every player and every aspect of the club. Only a week ago there was a expert sprouting that we have to get rid of Nathan Jones and now complaints about a player who has just received a BOG from an opposition coach.

Elite players, which most posters on here are obsessed with, play important roles within successful teams, rarely however are they the key ingredient. Brock is one step away from being an elite midfielder. He gets the ball and generally makes good use of it, he is hard, he is tough and boy is he young. If you doubt that he is captaincy material get yourself along to a training session and see where it all begins.

40 years without a cup has wore us all down and too many want the quick fix. Brock is the base from which we build.

Tarzan16, you have to understand, you are so far off the mark that people are assuming you're trolling. That's why you are getting such a harsh response.

All here acknowledge that Mclean lacks leg speed, and has at times struggled with taggers. But that's just about it. He has been our top player in the packs, makes a good effort to get to contests and has often been the guy who best responded to a turnover up-field - in both awareness and speed of action. He leads the Demonland B&F votes easily for a good reason. His best is decisive and can turn the momentum of a game. His worst appears to be behind him, certainly the poorer patches are become steadily rarer and briefer.

all i asked was an opinion, i love the guy, if people read my responses properly instead of jumping down my throat they would see that. i just want the guy to become this star we all want him to be, i know he's slow, i just think he seems slower and on some occasions disinterested, as i said, it must be hard in that team at the minute to be motivated, as seen against the saints. I appreciate your honest opinion Distance Demon. but it will be a while before i post again, seems some of our fans are as oneyed and feral as pies fans. everyone is allowed to have there opinion, just not me eh. Tarzan <_<

I heard he is playing injured, thats why he cant turn or move quickly.

He WILL be a captain of the club (as long as he doesnt hang out with Carroll)

In a hawthorn or Geelong side he would be doing alot more, but he is doing alot for melbourne (avg around 26 touches a game)

Even if he is slow he is in the team to get the hard ball and he does it so well

I'm growing tired of ridiculous topics like this. I don't even bother with Demonology anymore because there were so many topics started just attacking every player and every aspect of the club. Only a week ago there was a expert sprouting that we have to get rid of Nathan Jones and now complaints about a player who has just received a BOG from an opposition coach.

Elite players, which most posters on here are obsessed with, play important roles within successful teams, rarely however are they the key ingredient. Brock is one step away from being an elite midfielder. He gets the ball and generally makes good use of it, he is hard, he is tough and boy is he young. If you doubt that he is captaincy material get yourself along to a training session and see where it all begins.

40 years without a cup has wore us all down and too many want the quick fix. Brock is the base from which we build.

QFT!

tarzan16, i felt you first post wasnt very well thought out and very immature. i gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked you to get some info to add to the discussion, hoping you might learn a bit on the way. you're new around here and we'd all love to cut you a bit of slack.

BUT

you need to learn that when you say something you need to be able to back it up a bit. especially if you are as far of the mark as you were. you're subsequent posts indicated you were not worth having a discussion with. i'm happy to give you a second chance. bring up the stats and post them here. tell us what you see with those. even comment on why you think the stats might be wrong. but dont just say that someone is crap. especially when he is prob in our top 3 players, because you're going to need to explain your views.

Brock is ranked 9th in the AFL for disposals, 8th in tackles, 5th in clearances and 9th in contested possessions.

Do some research before posting, it'll save you a lot of embarrassment.

And yes he is slow, but that's hardly something he has control over. Still doesn't stop him getting 30 odd possessions a game though.

School holidays already? :rolleyes:

sorry to be picky jaded but maybe you should do some research yourself, he isn't 9th in the afl for disposals..he is equal 10th on 276 for the year.

tarzan16, i felt you first post wasnt very well thought out and very immature. i gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked you to get some info to add to the discussion, hoping you might learn a bit on the way. you're new around here and we'd all love to cut you a bit of slack.

BUT

you need to learn that when you say something you need to be able to back it up a bit. especially if you are as far of the mark as you were. you're subsequent posts indicated you were not worth having a discussion with. i'm happy to give you a second chance. bring up the stats and post them here. tell us what you see with those. even comment on why you think the stats might be wrong. but dont just say that someone is crap. especially when he is prob in our top 3 players, because you're going to need to explain your views.

deanox. i never said he was crap, don't misquote, i was just asking if anyone noticed if he seemed to be a little lacklustre on occasions. don't insult my inteligence by calling me immature. the immature people are the ones who cut u down for giving an opinion, i can support my team in any way i want, i dont need a lesson! but thanks for ur input anyway.

deanox. i never said he was crap, don't misquote, i was just asking if anyone noticed if he seemed to be a little lacklustre on occasions. don't insult my inteligence by calling me immature. the immature people are the ones who cut u down for giving an opinion, i can support my team in any way i want, i dont need a lesson! but thanks for ur input anyway.

Mate. You specifically asked for opinions and you got them. Many of those opinions were backed up with stats which you bagged out as irrelevant though you provided no evidence to support your point of view. They all happened to differ from your own. Then you accuse us of being one eyed and like filth supporters.

Take a breath buddy and think things through.

to me he seems fat and slow ... his attitude is poor; looks like he doesn't give a [censored], ... i think he'll be lucky to get a game if he doesn't improve.

ok so you didnt say he was 'crap', but you suggested he was bad enough that he would get dropped from the mfc side. we are bottom of the ladder. what ever words you used can be summarised into saying you thought he was crap.

in all honesty i couldnt care a bit for you or your intelligence. i dont need to make you feel welcome and i dont need to be your friend. i was helping you out. your a noob, you obviously need to learn a few things, and your post today, and your subsequent ramblings have indicated you wont be someone worth discussing football with.

i really encourage you to do a bit of research and comment on what you find, or cite specific examples. anything that indicates you have some understand or knowledge about what you are talking about. go ahead i dare ya. if you are insightful or spark interesting discussion, people will show your posts and thread a little more respect. at the moment they have done neither.

Beep beep beep beep. Watch out for the reversing truck boys! :huh: