Has Brock McLean truly arrived?

Yze_Magic

After a scinitillating 2006, which included a matchwinng Finals performance, McLeans 2007 season was ruined with a broken foot vs the Saints in Round 1. He missed 8 or 9 weeks, and when he came back he wasnt the same player we saw in 06' (which is understandable as he would have lost his entire fitness base while recovering)

Now in 2008, Mclean has played all 9 games and is averaging

- 25.2 possessions a game (12th in the league)

- 5.9 tackles per game (19th)

- 4.7 1st possessions per game (26th)

- 4.3 clearances per game (10th)

- 4.0 contested possessions per game (16th)

- 21.2 uncontested possessiosn per game (7th)

His numbers are close to elite level. He has only kicked 1 goal for the year, so thats one are he can improve in.

I was particularly impressed when the radio commentators on sunday pointed out that he has a disposal efficency of 90% in the first half, which happened to cover more than 20 posessions!

It's been great to watch the surge - early in the year he was turning up everywhere, doing important small things constantly, like getting to contests and helping work the ball free. Now that's gone up a level and he's doing some important big things as well.

He will have a few BOGs this year, no doubt. The tagging isn't troubling him as much as it was, that's for sure.

I'd like to say he has (arrived at elite status), but i dont think he's there yet. Statistically speaking, he's excelling at the moment, but the reality of the situation is, Brock is the #1 midfielder for the team on the bottom of the ladder, with a scoring percentage of under 70%. He's not impacting games as much as his stats would suggest, and there are still major queries over his ability to shake a tag (only 4 kicks against Adelaide tagged by Robert Shirley). Once he can overcome that, i'd say he truly has 'arrived' at elite status. I'd like to see him kicking more goals also (just one for the year so far).

He still has some way to go, but he seems to be working his butt off and is playing career-best footy, probably to prove he is worthy of a leadership position again.

Now in 2008, Mclean has played all 9 games and is averaging

- 25.2 possessions a game (12th in the league)

- 5.9 tackles per game (19th)

- 4.7 1st possessions per game (26th)

- 4.3 clearances per game (10th)

- 4.0 contested possessions per game (16th)

- 21.2 uncontested possessiosn per game (7th)

His numbers are close to elite level. He has only kicked 1 goal for the year, so thats one are he can improve in.

Where are you getting your figures from, YM?

From the MFC website, I make it:

- 24.4 possies per game (220 possies total)

- 4.1 tackles per game (37 total)

- 7.3 contested possies per game (66 total)

The rest I have not calculated, though I will add that according to my figures, he also leads the team in clangers and frees against.

He has been patchy this year. Some good games (rounds 1, 3, 9), some not so good ones (rounds 2, 6, 8).

he's bought his ticket, is on the train, but the train hasn't arrived just yet...

I think the simpilest way to answer this is how

i think the posession statistics (especially the uncontested posession) can be misleading, as we overused the ball a lot early in the season before getting tackled and giving away a free kick...

for him to be elite he needs to impact games like he did on the weekend, on a regular basis... still goes missing a little too often for mine...

I'd like to say he has (arrived at elite status), but i dont think he's there yet. Statistically speaking, he's excelling at the moment, but the reality of the situation is, Brock is the #1 midfielder for the team on the bottom of the ladder, with a scoring percentage of under 70%. He's not impacting games as much as his stats would suggest

Agree. Stats are often misleading. He will have arrived at the elite level when he is regularly breaking games open off his own boot, he is yet to do that once this season. Until then he will simply be one of many quality, serviceable mids in the comp.

Where are you getting your figures from, YM?

From the MFC website, I make it:

- 24.4 possies per game (220 possies total)

- 4.1 tackles per game (37 total)

- 7.3 contested possies per game (66 total)

The rest I have not calculated, though I will add that according to my figures, he also leads the team in clangers and frees against.

He has been patchy this year. Some good games (rounds 1, 3, 9), some not so good ones (rounds 2, 6, 8).

www.pro-stats.com.au

Brock has sure improved, but i think he still has more work to do. But if he keeps going the same way he is at the moment-He will get to the top level. He needs Consistency. Dam that first round last year. Such a waste. Those saints will pay!

These are the threads i prefer on Brocky, not this trading BS. No i don't think he's arrived just yet but he's getting there, he's now being mention as havin IMPACT on games. Certainly v Fremantle and Hawthorne (first half) he's shown he can be dangerous, and the games are getting closer together.

I have never wavered in my support of him and i'm still convinced by the end of this year he'll stake his claim to be the next (full time) captain of the MFC.

St. Kilda this week is a very good chance for him to lead from the front as he will be right into it from the start, and he can set a tone for the match.

His lack of pace and awareness on occasions is a little concerning, but he's a solid 200 gamer. He's lacked a little desperation in a couple of games this year, which surprised me, but all in all he's a fine young player. Any disappointmet I have is due to once very lofty expectations.

This is a wierd midweek thread. Usually a player will play a blinder and everybody and their dog will post their own "OMGZORG" message claiming the player as the next god. Then, as the player returns to normal form the next week, everybody bags the crap out of them. Is Brockie good? Bloody oath. Has he arrived? No more today than yesterday or Sunday arvo.

With a few pacy midfielders around him McLean can be a great player, but he never looks a chance to run the opposition down from behind - when he's chasing, teammates up the field should try to corral or slow the player so he has a chance of reaching them. He's playing some great footy at th moment, and in a better team he would make Sheahen's top 50 easily. Had he not broken his foot last year, who knows? maybe he would have been our one rep at the State game.

His lack of pace and awareness on occasions is a little concerning, but he's a solid 200 gamer. He's lacked a little desperation in a couple of games this year, which surprised me, but all in all he's a fine young player. Any disappointmet I have is due to once very lofty expectations.

His lack of pace is not so much of an issue when he is able to get first hands on the ball, it's when we're getting smashed through the middle that he looks slow. However he was never recruited for his pace, so it's not as if we're discovering anything new here. When other players start to take some heat off him (and Jones), he'll look a fair bit faster.

As for lack of awareness, I think that when a player such as McLean whos disposal is above average, and whos understanding of where to kick is generally pretty spot on, is not presented with enough opportunities up the field, he prefers to hold up the footy than to kick and turn it over. When players are presenting forward of the ball, like they were against the Hawks, he usually hits them on the chest. When we play like a bunch of deers caught in headlights is when he looks very slow and gets caught from behind.

If he had Judd's pace he would be... well... Judd. Sadly that will just never happen, but IMO it will not stop him from being an elite midfielder. Pace is simply a buzz word going around in football at the moment. The ability to win the contested ball CONSISTENTLY has always been a requirement for top midfielders, and that will never change.

If he had Judd's pace he would be... well... Judd. Sadly that will just never happen, but IMO it will not stop him from being an elite midfielder. Pace is simply a buzz word going around in football at the moment. The ability to win the contested ball CONSISTENTLY has always been a requirement for top midfielders, and that will never change.

Don't talk to me about pace being a buzz word. I lamented this club's lack of pace 5 years ago, not yesterday. I'm aware of what McLean brings to the table as evidenced by numerous postings over the last few years, but his lack of pace and awareness impacts more on his game than some would like to believe. You jumped on my thoughts about Jones and McLean being judged too harshly on another forum as if they were your own when I highlighted the unfair expectations of kids leading the midfield and contested possessions, so I'm well aware of his age and the burden he carries. Unfortunately, he won't get faster and doesn't have Black's clean hands, or vision. Whilst he's hard at the contest he's just not great at getting out clean disposal in tight. But, as I said, he's a solid 200 gamer. I doubt he'll ever be elite, but hope I'm wrong.

Some peanuts here will think I'm potting him, which of course is far from the case.

Some peanuts here will think I'm potting him, which of course is far from the case.

That is not at all what I was implying. I know you're a fan of McLean, because I know how much you love hard working midfielders who win the contested ball consistently and have good disposal.

I was simply continuing the discussion and raising my views as to why I think he still has what it takes to be elite. You don't pull equal numbers to Judd in terms of possessions at 20 if you don't have what it takes to be elite.

Speaking of Black, I did a quick search and it turns out that McLean is pulling equal stats to what Black was in his 5th season. Now obviously stats are not the whole story, but it's interesting none the less.

But as if I would dare argue with you! :rolleyes:;)

I doubt he'll ever be elite, but hope I'm wrong.

I don't know, he's proficient in all skills without being outstanding in any but his attitude (on the park) leads me to believe that he will reach a very high level of sustained performance by sheer force of will.

May be unquantifiable, but the kid is driven.

PS. That isn't a pun.

I don't know, he's proficient in all skills without being outstanding in any but his attitude (on the park) leads me to believe that he will reach a very high level of sustained performance by sheer force of will.

And of course there are varying interpretations of "elite".

PS. That isn't a pun.

I agree mostly with your assessment of McLean, but I believe his ability to kick to position is unrivalled in our team and indeed, there are few in the competition who compare. If he's got an iota of space in which to size up options, he'll generally land his kick in the right spot for the leading player. For a long time, TJ was our best exponent of this art and I think McLean is better.

That said, McLean's hands aren't great and he lacks awareness at times. But you're right about his force of will. If he can maintain his focus and drag his teammates with him, we're a chance of doing something special during his career.