Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Bulldogs



Whispering_Jack

The Ox and Marko sacked by SEN

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

According to reports today, Whately did not want to leave the ABC, but felt that his former employer was too slow in getting a contract on the table.  If his preference was to stay at the ABC, you have to wonder if his heart will be in it at SEN.  Time will tell I guess.

 

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, iv'a worn smith said:

According to reports today, Whately did not want to leave the ABC, but felt that his former employer was too slow in getting a contract on the table.  If his preference was to stay at the ABC, you have to wonder if his heart will be in it at SEN.  Time will tell I guess.

 

he also apparently offered to call the boxing day test for the abc for free but was knocked back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that is true, the abc are insane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2018 at 8:37 AM, faultydet said:

No they haven't, at least not entirely.

The non-union mine that I work at, pays $125k base for a shotfirer, whereas the (heavily) unionised nearby BMA mine gets paid $160k+ for the exact same job, on the exact same roster. Then add % based bonuses and Super on top. All for a yearly union sub of approx 3 grand or so. On the flip side, I dropped more than 30 grand after taking redundancy from my last job, and accepting the same job on a staff individual agreement.

 

All political parties have a image problem, because they are all led by the same kind of people. It's not unique to the ALP.

Can I become a shot firer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, demondame said:

If that is true, the abc are insane

The Managing Director has an agenda. Previously she worked for Rupert

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, demondame said:

Can I become a shot firer?

Anyone can.

I've worked with a few of them. As a matter of fact, we just had a woman join our blast crew in the past month, with almost zero experience in mining. (Don't get me started on that)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The Managing Director has an agenda. Previously she worked for Rupert

 

The world needs more Ruperts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh oh...demonland and politics don't make happy bedfellows..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, faultydet said:

The world needs more Ruperts.

Most people are happy to put the boots into the ABC (Television and Wireless), but if it ever goes completely, then I guarantee within hours it will be missed. Try to imagine a Journalism standard akin to “Today Tonight” or “FOX News” as the ONLY News Source....

 

Kill me now

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

he also apparently offered to call the boxing day test for the abc for free but was knocked back

I'm assuming you meant the Sydney Test.  He said he wanted to do that one, and say goodbye to the listeners at the end of it, but that wasn't possible...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SEN have been low rent for much of their existence.

They didn't start out that way. Started out with big names – Lyon, Brereton, Brownless, and big salaries. But quickly found out that while companies may fall over themselves to sponsor Collingwood and Essendon, they don't fall over themselves to sponsor a radio station that talks about Collingwood and Essendon. They ended up with a moth eaten collection of almost literally low rent advertisers. Jacques from Xenium Mortgages, anyone? In no time at all, Brereton left because they couldn’t pay the bills.

When Pacific Star bought in, there was an uptick in the quality of the advertisers but not an equivalent growth in audience. They have been hovering at 2s and 3s for a long time.

They recently tried it again. The “big stars”. Morning "dream team" with no chemistry. Garry promptly set up Hollywood Boulevard again and poor old Hamish "brother of" was let known, even on air, that he was not part of the boulevard. He was an onlooker. He was right to leave. And still ratings flatlined.

The "big names" talking about the same stuff as the no-names doesn't draw extra listeners, because the die-hards are all listening anyway.

Now Whately ... the big fish ... this is Francis Leach all over again. The "inna-lekshul" "egg head" "big words" toff.  Doesn't fit the demographic of tradies and bogans. It looks like they may be trying to change the demographic but realistically ... how much more can they eke out of the broader radio audience who mostly want old songs, daft DJs, and talkback lashing one political party or the other?

By the way, it's clear that Whately left the ABC in such a hurry because Hutchison said, I'm offering $$$$ but you need to make your decision today! The offer's only open until close of business. If you can't commit, we're not interested!

And yet Hutchison obviously was very keen on getting Whately. Hutchison is much more experienced in the wicked ways of the commercial world than Gerard who is a babe in the woods.

There may be some room for growth as SEN have increasingly gone all out on AFL. Bugger-all soccer, hardly any cricket ... recently when Chuck Berry was hosting, he said one day "there you go … we were supposed to be talking about cricket but somehow ended up talking about St Kilda."

They struggle to go for 5 minutes without coming back to AFL.

Whately looks like their gamble to pick up some disaffected fans of general sports. Can’t see it working.

Their bigger strategy might be that they want to get into live commentary of cricket, soccer, tennis, Olympics to add to AFL and basketball. With sports increasingly going the other way, into pay TV, free to air coverage for the die hards on SEN could look attractive!

People like Maher and Fine, for all their flaws, represent good value for SEN as they surely can't cost much but actually know how to keep the show moving. Guys like Lyon need a chaperone/MC like Hamish or Huddo.

Harford was a good performer and they let him slip.

Dunno why they dumped Ox. It’s taken years but he has grown into a polished radio man. Whereas “Marko” remained one dimensional, and that’s putting it kindly.

KB & Doc … KB is an inveterate stirrer and cannot resist an opportunity to do so. With solely him in the driver’s seat, it's somewhat amusing to see how many people he gets to bite. He is SEN's best performer and actually knows something about sport other than AFL, specifically, athletics. (Also horse racing, on the generous assumption that that counts as a sport.)

Doc generally makes for good radio and good entertainment.

KB & Doc for 3 hours ... No. Their Tuesday morning one hour love-in consisted of KB trying to bait Doc, and Doc slapping him down, rinse and repeat. 3 hours daily? No thanks.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vagg said:

I'm assuming you meant the Sydney Test.  He said he wanted to do that one, and say goodbye to the listeners at the end of it, but that wasn't possible...

yeah thanks,  wasn't sure which one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

SEN have been low rent for much of their existence.

They didn't start out that way. Started out with big names – Lyon, Brereton, Brownless, and big salaries. But quickly found out that while companies may fall over themselves to sponsor Collingwood and Essendon, they don't fall over themselves to sponsor a radio station that talks about Collingwood and Essendon. They ended up with a moth eaten collection of almost literally low rent advertisers. Jacques from Xenium Mortgages, anyone? In no time at all, Brereton left because they couldn’t pay the bills.

When Pacific Star bought in, there was an uptick in the quality of the advertisers but not an equivalent growth in audience. They have been hovering at 2s and 3s for a long time.

They recently tried it again. The “big stars”. Morning "dream team" with no chemistry. Garry promptly set up Hollywood Boulevard again and poor old Hamish "brother of" was let known, even on air, that he was not part of the boulevard. He was an onlooker. He was right to leave. And still ratings flatlined.

The "big names" talking about the same stuff as the no-names doesn't draw extra listeners, because the die-hards are all listening anyway.

Now Whately ... the big fish ... this is Francis Leach all over again. The "inna-lekshul" "egg head" "big words" toff.  Doesn't fit the demographic of tradies and bogans. It looks like they may be trying to change the demographic but realistically ... how much more can they eke out of the broader radio audience who mostly want old songs, daft DJs, and talkback lashing one political party or the other?

By the way, it's clear that Whately left the ABC in such a hurry because Hutchison said, I'm offering $$$$ but you need to make your decision today! The offer's only open until close of business. If you can't commit, we're not interested!

And yet Hutchison obviously was very keen on getting Whately. Hutchison is much more experienced in the wicked ways of the commercial world than Gerard who is a babe in the woods.

There may be some room for growth as SEN have increasingly gone all out on AFL. Bugger-all soccer, hardly any cricket ... recently when Chuck Berry was hosting, he said one day "there you go … we were supposed to be talking about cricket but somehow ended up talking about St Kilda."

They struggle to go for 5 minutes without coming back to AFL.

Whately looks like their gamble to pick up some disaffected fans of general sports. Can’t see it working.

Their bigger strategy might be that they want to get into live commentary of cricket, soccer, tennis, Olympics to add to AFL and basketball. With sports increasingly going the other way, into pay TV, free to air coverage for the die hards on SEN could look attractive!

People like Maher and Fine, for all their flaws, represent good value for SEN as they surely can't cost much but actually know how to keep the show moving. Guys like Lyon need a chaperone/MC like Hamish or Huddo.

Harford was a good performer and they let him slip.

Dunno why they dumped Ox. It’s taken years but he has grown into a polished radio man. Whereas “Marko” remained one dimensional, and that’s putting it kindly.

KB & Doc … KB is an inveterate stirrer and cannot resist an opportunity to do so. With solely him in the driver’s seat, it's somewhat amusing to see how many people he gets to bite. He is SEN's best performer and actually knows something about sport other than AFL, specifically, athletics. (Also horse racing, on the generous assumption that that counts as a sport.)

Doc generally makes for good radio and good entertainment.

KB & Doc for 3 hours ... No. Their Tuesday morning one hour love-in consisted of KB trying to bait Doc, and Doc slapping him down, rinse and repeat. 3 hours daily? No thanks.

 

Well done Mazer, I agree with everything you have written, and admire your effort and succinct writing style. You are so right about McLaughlin, his exclusion was embarrassing, I didn’t realise he left. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Most people are happy to put the boots into the ABC (Television and Wireless), but if it ever goes completely, then I guarantee within hours it will be missed. Try to imagine a Journalism standard akin to “Today Tonight” or “FOX News” as the ONLY News Source....

 

Kill me now

The abc is my main source for news, -tv, radio and online. 

What is guthrie’s motive SWYL? Is she wanting to broaden it’s appeal by dumbing it down? Or is it just cost cutting in response to the constant funding decreases?

meanwhile I will miss Lateline...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Most people are happy to put the boots into the ABC (Television and Wireless), but if it ever goes completely, then I guarantee within hours it will be missed. Try to imagine a Journalism standard akin to “Today Tonight” or “FOX News” as the ONLY News Source....

 

Kill me now

The radio news is good. Have always liked it more than any other media.

But as a package, I would rejoice at the death of the ABC because of its enormous lefty bias in any show that has opinions on it.

It's the media arm of the ALP. Any channel that allows anti-Australian filth like yasmin to put its face forward deserves to have its funding withdrawn.

imo

 

Do you work on a particular show, or is it a more general job that you do? I'm surprised we didn't discuss it while on the turps in Philippines. Are the personalities there as big headed as we see on commercial media?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, demondame said:

The abc is my main source for news, -tv, radio and online. 

What is guthrie’s motive SWYL? Is she wanting to broaden it’s appeal by dumbing it down? Or is it just cost cutting in response to the constant funding decreases?

meanwhile I will miss Lateline...

Nothing has been written in stone Dame, but departments are being splintered particularly in Radio. Both the  AM & PM shows are shorter and more programs are being syndicated around the country than before. 

Catalyst is no more, now “Specials” will be made. 

It worries me that we now have more channels to play programs, but we make less of them. 

Royal Commissions have been called after 4 Corners programs have gone to air, and  that is a good thing i believe  

i hope the ABC remains a part of Australian Communications long after i am gone, but nobody knows where TV and Radio will end up in 5 years  technology moves so fast now  

the Smartphone has changed everything so much  

ABC Iview is a great App  Everyone else is catching up to us on that one!

The way of the modern world. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, faultydet said:

The radio news is good. Have always liked it more than any other media.

But as a package, I would rejoice at the death of the ABC because of its enormous lefty bias in any show that has opinions on it.

It's the media arm of the ALP. Any channel that allows anti-Australian filth like yasmin to put its face forward deserves to have its funding withdrawn.

imo

 

Do you work on a particular show, or is it a more general job that you do? I'm surprised we didn't discuss it while on the turps in Philippines. Are the personalities there as big headed as we see on commercial media?

I work in Post Production where all programs (TV) can use our facilities. Extracting Camera footage. Send and Recieve files to and from interstate. 

Changing Codecs is now a major job. 

HD Codec, Youtube Codec, Codecs that will travel in emails

Apps change so quickly. It can drive a man to heavy booze!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Apps change so quickly. It can drive a man to heavy booze!!

 

haha....as if you needed pushing....^_^ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, faultydet said:

 

It's the media arm of the ALP. Any channel that allows anti-Australian filth like yasmin to put its face forward deserves to have its funding withdrawn.

imo

 

Do you work on a particular show, or is it a more general job that you do? I'm surprised we didn't discuss it while on the turps in Philippines. Are the personalities there as big headed as we see on commercial media?

One thing you are not factoring in is that the ABC is funded by everyones tax. So yes we do have some crazy Lefties on air, but we also have some serious Right Wingnuts as well. 

Bolt has had many shows on ABC

Barry Cassidy on Sunday Morning often has great debates with Pierce Ackerman. 

We are always branded as “Left” but i feel that is a little unfair. 

The ABC is an Archive and it should always be that. Represent the people of the day, all of them. 

I don’t agree with everything the old girl does, but as i said, if she is killed off, she will be missed. 

Rupert should have gone to jail for that phone hacking in the UK a few years ago. 

I hope we never get that low in Australia. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

haha....as if you needed pushing....^_^ 

The Demons onfield performances only compound the madness!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, faultydet said:

Anyone can.

I've worked with a few of them. As a matter of fact, we just had a woman join our blast crew in the past month, with almost zero experience in mining. (Don't get me started on that)

 

Bet she'll go off with a bang !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

One thing you are not factoring in is that the ABC is funded by everyones tax. So yes we do have some crazy Lefties on air, but we also have some serious Right Wingnuts as well. 

Bolt has had many shows on ABC

Barry Cassidy on Sunday Morning often has great debates with Pierce Ackerman. 

We are always branded as “Left” but i feel that is a little unfair. 

The ABC is an Archive and it should always be that. Represent the people of the day, all of them. 

I don’t agree with everything the old girl does, but as i said, if she is killed off, she will be missed. 

Rupert should have gone to jail for that phone hacking in the UK a few years ago. 

I hope we never get that low in Australia. 

One would have to be very Left to think labelling the ABC Left is "unfair".

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, daisycutter said:

he also apparently offered to call the boxing day test for the abc for free but was knocked back

You mean the Sydney test, don't you, because he called the boxer, I recall his interviews with Maxwell - Australia's Cricket version of Jack Watts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ProDee said:

One would have to be very Left to think labelling the ABC Left is "unfair".

How did I know you'd write shite like that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to tie up a loose end, Pacific Star Network (owner of SEN and some other media assets) has today confirmed it will merge with Craig Hutchison's Crocmedia (I suspect subject to shareholder approval and maybe some form of regulatory approval). Craig Hutchison will be the new CEO and on the Board of Directors of the company.

What it means to SEN programming is not known, although it has been reported elsewhere that the recruitment of Gerard Whately was Hutchison's doing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×