Adem Yze

titan_uranus

Many people have Yze retiring either during or at the end of 2008. There is much talk of Neitz getting a send-off game or whatever, yet no one seems to want to see Yze back in the team this year. Firstly, should he be played again this year, and secondly, if not, does he deserve to come back for a farewell considering he's been a fine servant of the MFC?

I've got no space for him in my side for either now or in the future. He is yesterday's news. It's a pity really, and a bit sad. He was a very good player at his peak.

I wouldn't object to a send-off game later in the year though.

No and No.

FFS we have already given him 3 testimonial years.

Just drive him around the G in an open top car from the last home game. That's about as close as I want him there.

Any game Yze plays from now on takes away from a younger player who offers us more the future.

Hell, MFC were kind enough to offer him a 3 year pension plan in 2005 so he should be happy with that

No and No.

Just drive him around the G in an open top car from the last home game. That's about as close as I want him there.

Any game Yze plays from now on takes away from a younger player who offers us more the future.

Hell, MFC were kind enough to offer him a 3 year pension plan in 2005 so he should be happy with that

Ah good point I didn't think about a lap of honour. Maybe this would suffice.

No and No.

Sentiment versus the tough decision

think the future wins but petrol is so expensive these days :lol:

you are a miserable lot, knowing damn all about the game.
Of course, if he's playing well enough he should be picked--on merit.
Contrary to some opinions, the list is not old, and a lot of young players benefit from having experience in the team
Ah good point I didn't think about a lap of honour. Maybe this would suffice.

you are a miserable lot, knowing damn all about the game.

Of course, if he's playing well enough he should be picked--on merit.

Contrary to some opinions, the list is not old, and a lot of young players benefit from having experience in the team

No. Not when the season is shot and the focus is on the future.

Some parts of the list are old, underperforming, no leadership and are not AFL standard. Not much value then experience when it gives you nothing on the ground.

You must be part of the miserable lot! :lol:

I think we should still be running with our best 22 until the middle of the year. Yze can still push into the top 22 if his form is right. He will be back this year.

I am with Rhino on blooding youth. After round 12, we give the kids a full run. Forget the best 22, put the FITTEST players on the park, no matter what their name is. All the "carrying injury" sorts, rest them. I want to see kids playing and losing, rather than vets playing with injuries and losing.

Hell! He will use the ball effectively. He KNOWS a bit about the game which, eg, Bell will apparently never know.Give the kids the best chance of playing in a winning game and then we'll know a bit more about them. At presnt they're playing scared. I'd play Holland also if he's fit!
I think we should still be running with our best 22 until the middle of the year. Yze can still push into the top 22 if his form is right. He will be back this year.

I am with Rhino on blooding youth. After round 12, we give the kids a full run. Forget the best 22, put the FITTEST players on the park, no matter what their name is. All the "carrying injury" sorts, rest them. I want to see kids playing and losing, rather than vets playing with injuries and losing.

Its a difficult decision, this one, because I think it woud be based on how we are travelling at the time. For instance, if we had the opportunity or were playing finals footy, I would probably pick him. Every team needs a good mix on youth and experience and he still has the ability to have a purple patch and "turn it on" when required.

I hate the idea of tanking games for draft picks (the whole concept doesnt sit well with me at all) but its a reality these days and if we are going to go down that path, have poor form and are desparately trying to get game time into the kids, then I would probably think differently.

Bring him out for one last Queens birthday weekend, kick a dozen against the filth and send him on his way.

Not sure about dropping a bloke who just kicked 12?!

With Bate, Martin and Miller all in line for selection this week I'd be very disappionted if Yze was picked ahead of one of them.

Not sure about dropping a bloke who just kicked 12?!

With Bate, Martin and Miller all in line for selection this week I'd be very disappionted if Yze was picked ahead of one of them.

Me too - like Curly's faithful dog in Steinbeck's literary classic, the Ooze is symbolic of a dream that never eventuated - time to end that dream of a bygone era. I think he should get a couple of cheap games AND the send off. (sorry RR, I'm a sentimentalist)

No and No.

RR on that basis you must also apply the same view to Neita as he has not been able to contribute onfield in late 2006, all of 2007 and 2008.

If the MFC has only won 3 or 4 games by round 16 or 17 then there would be no reason why Adem and Neita and Wheels (if retires cos of injuries) could not each be given a farewell game in last few rounds noting that 5 of last 6 games are at the G.

RR on that basis you must also apply the same view to Neita as he has not been able to contribute onfield in late 2006, all of 2007 and 2008.

If the MFC has only won 3 or 4 games by round 16 or 17 then there would be no reason why Adem and Neita and Wheels (if retires cos of injuries) could not each be given a farewell game in last few rounds noting that 5 of last 6 games are at the G.

The fact that you cant separate the individual contributions of Neitz and Yze in the team over the past couple of years and over their respective careers says enough.

Throw yourself in that bucket too Ds4eva.

The fact that you cant separate the individual contributions of Neitz and Yze in the team over the past couple of years and over their respective careers says enough.

Throw yourself in that bucket too Ds4eva.

I can clearly determine the different contributions of both of those players and having been closely involved in the MFC since mid 1950's I am well able to judge their contribution against many other VFL/AFL players.

It is you that needs to look at your position.

Both of these guys have been excellent clubmen for the MFC and both are very highly regarded by their teammates!

Their contributions to the MFC on the field have been very different but each has provided us true MFC supporters with many highlights and been a pleasure to watch over the past 15 years. You happily disregard those past contributions which is a replection on you and not either Neita or Yze (or Ds4eva). Both of these guys have been favorites with and been very good dealing with supporters and younger fans over many years.

It is for that reason that they each deserve a send off game. Even you can not challenge their love of the Red and the Blue.

It is the blunt reality that not all players get a fairytale end to their playing career and Neita may yet have a hurdle or 2 to get over to play again. RDB is not remembered for his last game as player. Big Carl's for us last game was also ordinary and Jezza's last game for Saints was forgetable. They were all well beyond their best at the end.

Neita's one grabs and long goals from outside 50m, the Ox's big grabs in 1994 finals and Yze's magic goals from the pocket of half forward are why those players are in the MFC best and why they deserve a send off and those of us MFC fans who have appreciated their efforts for the Red & Blue deserve an opportunity to thank them!

It is also an important part of the fabric of all sporting clubs in recognising the contributions of long serving players just as much as marking milestone games. My boys are playing junior footy and marking milestones achieved is an important element. 11 yo players will reach 50 games this year. To be able to applaud players like James Hurd, Rob Harvey etc after their last game is important and show appreciation to players like Adam Gilchrest earlier this year at the G or Warnie & Co last year is a vital part of being a passionate sporting fan and younger sportsperson.

It is also vital at this time when MFC is the easy target for bagging and under serious challeng in 2008 to DEMONstrate that we as a club care and have passion for our club and those who represent us on the field. Send off games and strong supporter turn out for our 2 most senior players will give s strong sign to our young guns of our pride in and love for the MFC jumper so they believe in the jumper!

I'd have no problem giving Neitz the privilege of getting a send off game as he has epitomised the values you espouse.

I just dont see Yze in that same category. He might love the red and blue but he like some other players show it on their own terms and not the teams. He has been given an armchair ride at this Club without returning the favour and at best I'd be happy to drive him around the MCG for a lap of honour. I'd rather give games to oue future players rather than a player who for some years has cut corners on the delivery of his talent and has symbolised both the some of the strengths and many of the shortcomings of MFC football over the past 10 years.

I'd have no problem giving Neitz the privilege of getting a send off game as he has epitomised the values you espouse.

I just dont see Yze in that same category. He might love the red and blue but he like some other players show it on their own terms and not the teams. He has been given an armchair ride at this Club without returning the favour and at best I'd be happy to drive him around the MCG for a lap of honour. I'd rather give games to oue future players rather than a player who for some years has cut corners on the delivery of his talent and has symbolised both the some of the strengths and many of the shortcomings of MFC football over the past 10 years.

Well put RR. You have galvanised my thoughts on this issue.

I have no doubt Ooze believes he gives his all for the club but like Robbo, when he runs out he does not put the teams goals in front of his personal ones. I believe Neitz does acheive this.

I will miss Adem Yze when he is gone, he is responsible for my son forever having the"lucky number" of 13.

he will get one and u know he will.... ur opinion of this bloke is deluded.

u contiue to say how much talent he wasted over the years which is [censored]...

enough with the sadistic posts already RR