What are your expectations of this season?

Anders

Personally, I'm not coming into this season with any expectations (unlike last year)

FWIW, I think the following teams are better than us ON TALENT (not potential, we may have done well in the draft but it remains to be seen)

Geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, Sydney, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Collingwood

Of course there are exceptions, for instance we can beat Collingwood at the worst of times but over the course of the season we'd be hard pressed to finish above these teams. Note I have left out the Kangaroos, who finished top 4 last year (God knows how) but demonstrates at least that it is possible so that leaves me with a glimmer of hope this season. Freo are like the anti-Kangaroos. Twice the talent but half the result. So obviously the above list is a guess.

So I think we are about on par with the following; Brisbane, Kangaroos, Adelaide, Western Bulldogs

And I'd be disappointed if we didnt finish above: Carlton, Richmond, Essendon

Given that, I wouldn't be that upset if we finished 10-12 given what we've got. Of course this year will be about blooding the youngsters also, but I'd be disappointed if we did a Carlton or a Richmond and played our youngsters at the expense of winning.

As we've seen with the Roos last year, you can have a team of nobodies (lets face it who knows anything about our list besides Melbourne fans) and achieve something. I hope we can turn some heads this season, but I'm not expecting finals

You've recovered from the loss of TJ then, Anders. Good to see.

Fairly good synopsis I reckon. I fancy their are a few teams that might surprise people. West Coast I think might surprise people with how badly they go. They still have a good side, but it's no longer top 4 material.

Sydney are rubbish. Hall and Mickey O are on their last legs, and arguably their most skillful and talented player, in Malceski, is now out for the year. Still have a few halfway decent players but I anticipate they won't make the 8 this season.

So that probably leaves 5-6 teams who are clearly ahead of us in talent.

The problem for us is that much of our talent is raw and very young. Those older players who are talented are lazy and/or perennial underachievers, and even with a new boss, I can't see them changing the habits of a lifetime.

So I reckon we're looking at 9-12 this year. The worst place to finish on the table. But at least we'll get a few more wins than last term.

I honestly believe we will finish bottom 4 with 5-7 wins...which believe it or not will be an improvement on last year :o

The pre-season is all about excitement and good vibes, and every club bar Richmond and Melbourne appear to be going places...although we all know 4 or 5 clubs will be in crisis by round 5!... Right now it's out of us and Richmond for the wooden spoon, if you listen to the average joe.

It appears that our pre-season has been average at best, and the players that we've pinned our hopes on for a return from injury - Whelan, Rivers, Bartram appear no closer to returning while McLean and Bruce seem 'forever injured'.

If we can somehow get our injuries in order, we'll climb back up the ladder...but thats a big if! We haven't got the worst list in the AFL, but I question whether it's finals material.

Plus the introduction of a whole new coaching staff will get a hell of a lot of getting used to. Look at Ross Lyon for example - took the talented Saints to 9th would you believe.

We will have some solid wins at the MCG against the bottom 8 sides, and maybe upset a Hawthorn, Kangaroos or Collingwood along the way. But I can't see us getting out of the bottom 4 or 5.

Bottom 4 for me also unfortunately. The main reason for me is the new coach factor. Despite how good many people think/hope DB is, he will need to learn a lot, and the team will need to learn how to play under him.

The example BBP gave about the Saints is a very good one.

between 5 and 8 for mine....................potent forward line...................strong bodies in the midfield...............and a backline that well on a good day can hold it's own.......................gotta be optimistic people.................the season hasn't even started and you're giving up on the boys........................last year was a horror year with injuries..................we were predicted to be top 4 material then and i can't see any reason why we can't be now. Infact we are probably more likely to finish top 4 this year because people have written us off. I even think top 4 is possible.

between 5 and 8 for mine....................potent forward line...................strong bodies in the midfield...............and a backline that well on a good day can hold it's own.......................gotta be optimistic people.................the season hasn't even started and you're giving up on the boys........................last year was a horror year with injuries..................we were predicted to be top 4 material then and i can't see any reason why we can't be now. Infact we are probably more likely to finish top 4 this year because people have written us off. I even think top 4 is possible.

Wow. Thats optimistic for sure. Here's what I think. Shaky backline apart from Rivers - if he goes we're bottom 4. Young midfield apart from JMac - Jones, McLean, Sylvia still developing, forwardline has question marks - Neitz getting on, Robbo is too, Davey needs to step up. Still the garling issue of no CHF (Miller is not the answer). I'll be astounded if we finish top 4. We're not giving up on the boys, just giving an honest assessment

Guest MFC4Life

I'm not being negative...well maybe I am I guess, but we will really struggle to win more than 8 games for the following reasons:

-Young Side

-Very thin list of individuals who are aged 24-28

-No defense

-I really have concerns about Rivers and Whelan's fitness. If we don't have them fit and firing we're done for.

-Forward line appears to becoming increasingly old and haggard.

-For some reason if we have even 2-3 key players out we don't win that much.

-Have to work on centre clearences.I remember a game last year against Hawthorn early on in the season were I swear Hawthorm had about 12 clearences in a row.

Right on Redfin!

I've never gone into a season without talking us up as anything but a premiership contender, it's called being one-eyed people, and we need more of it. I hope you don't talk like this in front of the non mfc supporting rabble out there. I even back it up with my hard earned. You may think that's silly, but during the good year/bad year cycle of ND's reign I won a lot more than I lost. This year I've got a hundred on each of, us to finish higher than the [censored], us to make the 8 and a demon to finish higher than g ableet in the brownlow.

For every example of a new coach struggling, there's one of players thriving in a new environment and improved results, it's a roll of the dice and means little. Were we to have a virtually injury free season with 5-7 players having career best years, like Girlong last year, I'd expect us to threaten. We have a reasonable group of players under 50 games or so, if half of them step up and some of our older brigade do well, who knows. How many of you tipped us to play in a grand final in 2000? I did, just got the result wrong :lol:

reasonable run of injuries; top 8

bad run with injuries; bottom 4

how anyone can say we are bottom 4 with few injuries is beyond me. have a look at the scums list ffs, and they are second favs for the flag!

I'll back Melb against the Pies, Bullies, Kangas, Bombers, Cartel, Tiggers.

50/50 Freo, Saints, Sydney, Crows, Hawks, Port.

Might Struggle against. Geelong, Eagles, Lions.

Don't think there's enough wins there but we've got

R1. Hawks (Missing a few thru suspension)

R2. Bullies

Rd 3. Cattery

Rd 4. Kangas

Rd 5. Cartel

Rd 6. Lions

Rd 7. Freo at the G.

We could be 5-2 or 4-3 and we can build from there with players gaining confidence.

If we can finish in the finals with the '04 list, there's hope.

High number of injuries last year was not the only reason for poor season. The new game plan was exposed in rnd1 of NAB and clearly never suited our side. Another strategic mistake was lightening up the players as tackling strength wa markedly reduced from 06.

Our expectations for this year must be modest as always takes a few weeks to adjust to new coaching group and the new game plan and strategies. As noted with a lot of young players should not expect too much OR worry if side does not win majority of games. If we finish anywhare between 12 and 5 w should be satisfied. I think the side with a reasonable amount of injuries only is better than bottom 4 and should be as several players spelled early to get fixed up.

I agree there are some doubts regarding fitness of a few - Rivers (should be right) Batram (returning from long term injury (needs to be brought back slowly but virutally new recruit) Wheels (had several injuries last few years) Maloney (hasnt had one OP free season yet) & a few others have to see first couple of proper games to judge.

Another worry for DB is the transition from Jeff White as a dominant ruckman to the next brigade - not clear who will rise to No 1 mantle but Whitey is past his best in the middle.

What we need to see more importantly is systematic play and improved set playes and disposals to team mates. Hoping to see some sign of a sound and methodical game plan from DB together with some good back up plans (even a Plan B??). 2008 needs to establish a sound platform to be built upon by DB in 2009 and 2010 so MFC can have a real crack at top 4 in those 2 years and beyond with the young group have now. So expect that it will not be easy or quick but should be enough for us to all see is building in right way to make success possible.

We won 5 games last year. How many can we get away with this year to ensure we get a priority pick?

heres to a terrible year, and that Natanui kid!!

anywhere from 7th to abouth 10th.. depends on injuries and how quickly a couple of likely lads come on. Will depend upon the usualy mathematics of other teams also.

I dont expect fireworks this year. Do expect a far more competive team with a bit of genuine electricity at times.

This will be a swansong year for a couple of stalwarts.. and hopefully a few will step up to the plate and grasp opportunity and run with it.

Thee is no dount there will be adjustment to new players and new methods but I think we'll be genuinely competitive after a 'wearing' in period.

A solid stepping stone for 2009

Defintely NOT bottom 4 !!

Generally I'm not all doom and gloom, but I'm going into the season with no expectations and it would honestly wouldn't surprise me if we finished bottom 4.. But as long as our oung blokes get games under their belt and we get these bl@%dy injuries right we can look for a serious assault in maybe 2010 - 2011.

Look i pay a full membership to the MCC and a membership to the Football club, in order to watch Melbourne play in September. The players and staff are well paid and i expect them to be there and do not accept anything less. That's what i expect this year. Anything lessshould not be accepted by anyone or we will never improve. We must Toughen up like Hawthorn of the Eighties NOW

Here here, all the negative talk shits me to tears.

We have lost 2 games with rookies all over the place.

This sooky attitude from the "supporters" is so typically MFC.

Do you think the current Cats or Eagles are aiming to be in the eight? No they aim at number 1 at all times.

FFS stop accepting [censored] results and excuses and harden up and stick up for your team, the season has not even bloody started yet!!

I expect that melbourne will finish 16th and will recruit Nicholas Naitanui. I expect Jones and or McLean will recieve the weekly tag with the loss of TJ. I also expect that Aussie and Valenti will be the most improved players, mainly cause of our need for speed and crumming in the forward line with Davey playing in centre. And i dont expect anything from Miller but well see