No crisis says Paul Gardner

rumpole

I'm relieved - The Melbourne Age.

PG's comments were in response to some sensationalist journalism by a few in the press. Yes you Caro and Fatprick Smith! The press had the same comments to make when Rick Aylett resigned as CEO of North. The minute Eugene Arocca was appointed, the crisis was over. I'll think you'll find the same thing will happen when our new CEO is appointed.

PG's comments were in response to some sensationalist journalism by a few in the press. Yes you Caro and Fatprick Smith! The press had the same comments to make when Rick Aylett resigned as CEO of North. The minute Eugene Arocca was appointed, the crisis was over. I'll think you'll find the same thing will happen when our new CEO is appointed.

Fist time poster long time reader , hello to all , great to see so many passionate Demon supporters on here . Back to the subject its great to see PG have a crack at these jurno's that think its all doom and gloom for the club. I think we are on the right track with the new coachs and recruits and with the right CEO Im optimstic about our future.

Welcome red&blue (I can't believe that name wasn't taken! )

The article in the Hun was similar. PG always impresses me in the media. He's like Punter... Always on the front foot, and never seems to embarrass the club... The situation with ND was the first tme he's been questioned, and I thought he did as well as he could do with a bad situation.

So important... especially now.

I'm not as convinced by Gardner, I think he picks the wrong spots to take a crack every now and then, eg his comments on Ben Cousins, but I'm concerned by his statement that the high staff turnover is not a problem.

Find me a successful workplace where 70% staff turnover in three years (after about 40% the previous three years I believe) - it doesn't happen. If that is the fault of the last couple of CEOs, then fine, its something we need to rectify asap. Everyone sees the high profile changes - Daniher, Fagan, Cameron, Harris, etc - but its hard to get the best possible output from the club administration when the people involved are changing every five minutes. To say that it's not a problem that we've had such changes is simply [censored].

I'm not as convinced by Gardner, I think he picks the wrong spots to take a crack every now and then, eg his comments on Ben Cousins, but I'm concerned by his statement that the high staff turnover is not a problem.

Find me a successful workplace where 70% staff turnover in three years (after about 40% the previous three years I believe) - it doesn't happen. If that is the fault of the last couple of CEOs, then fine, its something we need to rectify asap. Everyone sees the high profile changes - Daniher, Fagan, Cameron, Harris, etc - but its hard to get the best possible output from the club administration when the people involved are changing every five minutes. To say that it's not a problem that we've had such changes is simply [censored].

G'DAY Hards , I understand what your getting at however I think what I got from the article was PG reckonised the need for a CEO with the right pepole skills to enhance the MFC not only with potential sponsers but with the AFL. We have to a certain extent stabilised our finances and we will have that Training Center that we have all been dreaming of.The good staff we have lost is quiet concerning but it seems as if the house has been put in order all we need now is the right CEO to take us to the next level. I think the problem was recognised and acted upon , the timing is the only negative for me.

The good staff we have lost is quiet concerning but it seems as if the house has been put in order all we need now is the right CEO to take us to the next level. I think the problem was recognised and acted upon , the timing is the only negative for me.

I agree with Hards. There has been (and still are) problems at MFC that cannot be igonored or denied. We have lost a number of talented staff not all football related. I am not sure what you mean about "it seems as if the house has been put in order"? Despite the recent appointments of Bailey and Connolly, we have staff leaving in droves, no profit,financial impaired, poor on field position, small supporter base and no CEO two weeks before the start of our "big" 150 years celebration.

I am not sure why there has been so much vitriol at journalists Smith and Wilson. Maybe crisis is not the right word but its surely a crap position to be in and seemingly the Board has equivocated for some time before making a decision on Harris that should have been made in November if not earlier.

"I am not sure why there has been so much vitriol at journalists Smith and Wilson. Maybe crisis is not the right word but its surely a crap position to be in and seemingly the Board has equivocated for some time before making a decision on Harris that should have been made in November if not earlier.Lets not get carried away. "

I don't know why we are suddenly in almost crisis position. Our financials have not changed since the Harris decision.

Bailey was appointed and he has orchestrated a sweep out of the football dept which is refreshing to say the least. I would easily take a pot shot at Patrick Smith whose sensationalistic journalism just happened to point in our direction for a minute. His article said nothing, had zero insight but was made to look like a 'crisis'. Why write the f#cking article but to only cause a stir.

Our financial situation is a function of a low supporter base, the MCC as well as unsuccessful growth and tapping into the wealth of the blue chip supporter base.

Why is it panic stations when we have a new tea?. Sure unproven, but also yet to fail.

I think the problem was recognised and acted upon , the timing is the only negative for me.

Yeah, this is true, the timing is the major concern for me - both that it took until right before the NAB Cup to sack him, and that so many staff members have come and gone without it being an issue until now.

The board is an "honorary" position, they are not paid, but they are elected by the members to serve the best interests of the footy club. If a top level paid employee, and CEO is at the very top, is causing us this many problems, he should have been removed - if not during the season, at the very least directly after the season ended. If the reasoning was that he couldn't be removed while we were looking for a new coach and a new head of FD, then it should have happened once that was settled - which means it could have happened in November, not February.

To leave it until 10 days before the NAB Cup is disgraceful.

I think there's more to be concerned about off-field than just our financial state at the moment.

"I am not sure why there has been so much vitriol at journalists Smith and Wilson. Maybe crisis is not the right word but its surely a crap position to be in and seemingly the Board has equivocated for some time before making a decision on Harris that should have been made in November if not earlier.Lets not get carried away. "

I don't know why we are suddenly in almost crisis position. Our financials have not changed since the Harris decision.

Bailey was appointed and he has orchestrated a sweep out of the football dept which is refreshing to say the least. I would easily take a pot shot at Patrick Smith whose sensationalistic journalism just happened to point in our direction for a minute. His article said nothing, had zero insight but was made to look like a 'crisis'. Why write the f#cking article but to only cause a stir.

Our financial situation is a function of a low supporter base, the MCC as well as unsuccessful growth and tapping into the wealth of the blue chip supporter base.

Why is it panic stations when we have a new tea?. Sure unproven, but also yet to fail.

As I did say "maybe crisis is not the right word......" but it is not that far away.

Aside from Dean Bailey/ Chris Connolly who are as yet unproven in their impact on the team, nearly every other operating metric at MFC is poor, questionable or below par. Even from a football perspective, your assumption that all footy dept departures were at Bailey's is naive. Regardless of how Bailey does perform our club position is parlous.

Our financial position is not sustainable in the medium to long term if MFC is to survive within its current form and we do not have many more roles of the dice to correct this.

Sacking a CEO days before season start, (while necessary) is not a sign of a Club travelling well.

As I did say "maybe crisis is not the right word......" but it is not that far away.

Our financial position is not sustainable in the medium to long term if MFC is to survive within its current form and we do not have many more roles of the dice to correct this.

Sacking a CEO days before season start, (while necessary) is not a sign of a Club travelling well.

I think that we should think about what Rhino says here.

He is more likely to write something that is supportive of the club than write something negative.

For him to express these concerns tells me we really need to try to urge our mates/family to get on board with memberships and show up at games.

I think that we should think about what Rhino says here.

He is more likely to write something that is supportive of the club than write something negative.

For him to express these concerns tells me we really need to try to urge our mates/family to get on board with memberships and show up at games.

Damn right we do, with the AFL still giving us assistance we are like the little gingerbread man being swum across the river by a fox!

We need to get this point across to anyone we reckons their heart beats true.

Otherwise, with global warming et al, there will be no skiing, no polar bears...and NO MELBOURNE DEMONS :o

So get your mates on board now!

several very good appointments have been made though....

commercial operations manager of Jeremy Kann comes with a very good reputation - ex-brisbane during their premiership years and hawthorn the last three years....

the chris connoly appointment cannot be underestimated - his worth to the dockers was huge....

the chris connoly appointment cannot be underestimated - his worth to the dockers was huge....

So much so they sacked him! :blink:

I think he is a good appointment as FOM. But its the tip of the iceberg as there have been many who have left due to circumstances that it would have been to the Clubs benefit had they stayed.

So much so they sacked him! :blink:

this is WA football we're talking about though...they dont quite do things the same !!!!! lol

several very good appointments have been made though....

commercial operations manager of Jeremy Kann comes with a very good reputation - ex-brisbane during their premiership years and hawthorn the last three years....

Gone !!!!!!!!

Guest fatty
But its the tip of the iceberg as there have been many who have left due to circumstances that it would have been to the Clubs benefit had they stayed.

When Gardner took over, one of the key issues was getting the administration in order first. I have no idea if he achieved this but around 2005(?), Gardner claimed that we were in a position to increase expenditure in the football department. However, with little improvement in the income stream (CBF, sponsorship etc), this must come at the expense of spending in other areas, including the administration.

Demitriou questioned the high staff-turnover at Melbourne in 2007 and asked Harris/Gardner to get the house in order. There was speculation that Harris was impossible to deal with and there were problems at board level. But as Benno points out, how do you prevent turnover when staff can get paid more at other sporting clubs?

Obviously, its not that simple but it explains a fair bit about the turnover of the admin staff. With respect to the departures of Fagan etc. its only to be expected when the previous coach departs.

However, I do agree that going into 2008 without a stable CEO is a concern.

Journalists make their career out of speculation and innuendo. I don’t damn them for making the claims. I just don’t put a lot of faith in what they write.

If Steve Harris was not up to do the job, i don't care what the timing is, he had to go. I am glad the club has the balls to Face up to that. We must recruit the Best CEO available like we did with our new coach. I am not worried at all. Last year was bad changes had to be made

Those who would have us in either Crisis or Turmoil might want to consider what either means.. not the sensationalist tag often afforded them but what it means in actuality and as would be an appropriate application for the decriptions to the MFC.

We are in neither. We may not be in the best of positions as compared some other teams, but that in itself doesnt constitute the dire black hole that some would paint us in. Could it be better? It can always be better. we are getting better, in small steps.

If someone's a less than ideal fit, then they go. The club will not fall apart as some might suggest if there is no official CEO for a few months. There are others more than capable of filling in, life goes on, no big deal.

One aspect I am becoming increasingly impressed with about MFC is that it doesnt run around like headless chooks any more. Calmly and productively it strives to resolve its vacancies. (These vacancies often a cause of poor fit or lack of success ) It doesnt grasp at the first bus screeching past but takes a moment to reflect and decide where it actually wants to go, and how. Then in a purposeful manner seeks to fill the post with the best available fit. Hardly indications of crisis. It does so with resolute steadfastness and consensus, hardly a sign of turmoil.

Anyone would think flames are emitting skywards or blood gushing into the gutters at Deeland !! I find it all quite laughable actually.

Go Dees...... great in 8 !!

Those who would have us in either Crisis or Turmoil might want to consider what either means.. not the sensationalist tag often afforded them but what it means in actuality and as would be an appropriate application for the decriptions to the MFC.

We may not be in the best of positions as compared some other teams, but that in itself doesnt constitute the dire black hole that some would paint us in. Could it be better? It can always be better. we are getting better, in small steps.

One aspect I am becoming increasingly impressed with about MFC is that it doesnt run around like headless chooks any more. Calmly and productively it strives to resolve its vacancies. (These vacancies often a cause of poor fit or lack of success ) It doesnt grasp at the first bus screeching past but takes a moment to reflect and decide where it actually wants to go, and how. Then in a purposeful manner seeks to fill the post with the best available fit. Hardly indications of crisis. It does so with resolute steadfastness and consensus, hardly a sign of turmoil.

Aside from the limited public knowledge about the DB appointment how do you know beyond assuming what recruitment process has been put in place and why it has been done in the first place or even whether the new applicant is better than the person who left?

The high level of staff turnover under Harris was an unnecessary financial drain and in many case a terrible waste of talent to the Club. Does the Club have to use recruiting agencies like any other business to recruit? Theres 20% of salary cost on appointment.

We are an unfinancial Club with limited short term opportunities to grow membership/sponsorship/ revenue with no infrastructure and battling against Clubs whose turnover is twice our size. MFC are in an unsustainable model long term. But nah, there is no problem, there is no crisis. If the proverbial hits the fan (not you Fan!), I hope you wont be one of the supporters who gets jolted from some dream world and complain "Why werent we told?"

okay....... we had...empahasis on HAD high turnover under Harris.. he's going.. so ...I see that as a positive.

what more do I realy need to know as a supporter than there is a process to get a new CEO.. The process to get a new coach went quite swimmingly. It adressed our needs, set an agenda and a schedule for a proces..all was done as per advertised. That too seems a positive. Thye are enacting a similar procedure for the CEO ..I dont really understand the concern.

We are not UN Financial.. to be so would be to trade insolvent and thats illegal. what we are as you rightly suggest is a club with limited means lookign to change things.I dont sense any panic inthsi, just a good solid understanding by the club that it needs to change. That to I see as a positive.. i.e taking owneship of the problem and developing a path through it.

Rhino.. less of the pessimism mate..its quite frrankly repittious and boring. No one is suggesting we're on easy street., but thats a far cry from crisis and turmoil. A lot of circumstances surrounding the club can be put in the "then ' basket and they are working through the NOW. There is much to do for the MFC as a business, no one is foolish enough to suggest otherwise.

utilising an agency or bringing in outside eperts is to do just that..get peopel who are better situated and experienced than yo to bring those skills and abilities to bear when making what is arguably the most important appointment for many a year. May I suggest to not do so would be amatuerish and a waste of all 100% of the salary. you rally answer your own question.. MFC IS a business so why wouldnt it use a standard industry tool?

There is a vast difference between saying there are NO problems as compared to addresing them. It wont be easy...no one says it will be.

I have no qualm with using a headhunter for the CEO role to replace the standard industry tool that was in the role.

I have an issue with the agency costs where we have had untenable turnover of staff under Harris. Many of the departures were either Harris appointment's in the first place (they could not work with him further and MFC had to pay out their contracts) or are people who the Club could ill afford to leave given its problems and challenges.

I cant see how we are addressing the problems if we have had for the past 12 months, an underperforming CEO who appears to have lost the support of the people below. All that can be said is the CEO became a problem hmself and has caused damage to the Club operations and standing in the AFL community.

As a stand alone entity we are unfinancial. Barely making a profit with significant debt. We continue to operate from the support of the AFL. The issue of going concern relies on the support of the AFL. I know all Clubs receive AFL support. But as a % of total revenue we are heavily reliant on the AFL for funding. With all due respect to hard working efforts of the Board we have not made significant progress in addressing the financial strength of the Club in the past 12 months. I wonder whether MFC can in its current form actually achieve that.

We have all commented on the Kangaroos position and options. MFC's position is not that much different. The risks the same

As far as recruitment is concerned its too too early to assess Bailey as a coach. As a consequence we are not sure just what the process has brought forth. It is believed that he was the best candidate and I hope they're right. At the moment, Dean Bailey is making the right sounds. But until he can achieve some on field success and develop the young side his appointment is subject to scrutiny. We dont know who our next CEO will be or how capable the best candidate who opts for the MFC job will be. So there is much uncertainty about the year ahead.

The Steve Harris departure did not cause the crisis. The crisis is already there and has been there for many years. Harris's departure only emphasizes the challenge in front and how much ground we lost to our competitors. We had a poor year on and off the field. We cant afford too many more.

The reality of the situation is hard for some to accept and I acknowledge that. Unlike you seem to be able to do, I just cant close my eyes and say blithely "She'll be right".

at what point Rhino...do you actually move from yesterday...to today??

Im not blithley..blindly or otherwise closing my eyes.. quite the opposite..Im opening them to see what is being done.

Things are being addressed not swept under a rug for a rainy day surprise.

FFS what else do you want to happen.. only so muchg is accomplishable in a day..a week , a month.

They ( MFc ) are working within their means to control and expand their means.Seems quite professional and deliberate.

Its a work in progress.. not the end of the earth.

This is only the beginnig of the season....lol.. you might not last the distance RR ..

I am looking at the situation that the Club is in today. You challenged the use of the word "crisis". I explained it.

Glad your easily impressed though with the little things being done.

This process should have been commenced up to six months ago when Harris should have been given the flick no later than November.

Things would have been more professional and deliberate.