Adem Yze's magic set to return

Pinball Wizard

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a cynical bastard but it read like a lot of spin tinged with a bit of 'worry". Would be marvellous if he started playing most of a game to his potential.. He's certainly left it late !!!

Call me a cynical bastard but it read like a lot of spin tinged with a bit of 'worry". Would be marvellous if he started playing most of a game to his potential.. He's certainly left it late !!!

Think a lot of people have forgotten that Adem was a great player for us for a long time.

Yes he has had a couple of poor seasons by his standards, but if fit and committed, he could be great value in a forward pocket changing with Flash, Robbo, Green and maybe Sampi. All are capable of kicking a couple of quick goals and are different to match up on. Could create a bit of a nightmare for other sides.

Indeed !!!.... just the timing of end of contract etc...just make me a tad cynical 'bout his playing !! if memory serves me right...he does seem to turn on a few years here and there.......oh yes.. just before negotiations !!

Indeed !!!.... just the timing of end of contract etc...just make me a tad cynical 'bout his playing !! if memory serves me right...he does seem to turn on a few years here and there.......oh yes.. just before negotiations !!

I think we have to look at Adem now as the "icing on the cake." He no longer is the sweeping half back flanker, but rather another talented player who will play off the bench, who has the ability to kick a couple of quick goals including the odd miracle team lifter.

I see that as his future role and could imagine him doing just that in a final.

If he can play a fair season or two he will add to a great career with the Dees.

Incidentally he was taken after Camporeale in his year and we wanted Camporeale. I am glad the Blues chose who they did. We got the better player.

We quickly get a selective memory whenever someone turns 30.

In the last ten seasons, Yze has averaged 20 disposals a game.

He has never been highly rated by the 'football world.' Sheahan doesn't rate him at all.

Got 38 touches against Freo only this year.

If he's in the best 22 play him; our team is young enough as it is. No need to cut good careers short.

After reading the article it is clear to me that Yze still doesn't "get" it. Twenty possessions doesn't abrogate your responsibility to put your head over the ball rather than toe poke it when contact is likely, to "go" when it's your turn, to man up, chase, tackle with intensity instead of token efforts, ....

I also suspect that the previous coach failed to adequately communicate these shortcomings, or simply chose to put up with them.

It seems we are all obsessed with youth and development. Yze has been a great player for Melbourne, a terrific loyal servant who when on fire is as mercurial as any player in the league. Dont get cynisim confused with reality. When he kicks a beauty from the boundry at some stage this year, then we will all be going mad, and i think contract negotiations will be the last thing on anyones mind.

He deserves better than that!

I remember when we traded Woey to collingwood that yze was the other player that could have gone instead. I wish he had and that we kept woey. I like yze but to be honest i think he is just too lazy to deserve a go

I remember when we traded Woey to collingwood that yze was the other player that could have gone instead. I wish he had and that we kept woey. I like yze but to be honest i think he is just too lazy to deserve a go

I think we should give the guy a break. He's been one of our better players over the past decade and let's not forget that we made the finals in six of the last ten years. My view is that he will be of inestimable value to the club in the coming year with his experience assisting some of our younger forwards. Given the descriptions I've read of Adamm Maric, I'm sure he can teach this kid (and some of the others) a few tricks so that the magic will live on even after he's left the club.

And I wouldn't write him off just yet as far as his own individual skill and ability is concerned as long as he returns with a fit body and the motivation to continue on to be the second Demon to post 300 games.

I really think we need to get over the Yze bashing.

First up, the last time he was headed for a contract negotiation was exactly when his form fell away seriously, and he's been struggling to bring it back up since then. So these 'he plays when it's contract time' accusations are outright rubbish.

Secondly, he's been a consistently good player for most of the last ten years, and an occassional matchwinner as well. (eg. his 250th, despite his form being in decline at the time)

Finally, the key problem with his game has been a habit of getting 'spooked' and 'hearing footsteps', as people have pointed out many times. Everything else (particularly his clangers) has flowed from that and if he controls it then he could be back in good form in a real hurry - so the time spent not playing really could do him a lot of good.

If he does step back up, then we're looking at a second 300 gamer and one we can be truly proud of. If he doesn't, then this will be his last year and after 250+ games can we just accept that players don't usually run at top performance right to the last day of their career.

But seriously, there is absolutely no need or point slagging him off now. This year's performance will decide it all, it's clear he's not going to be handed any further favouritism from the coach, and for those who choose to pass judgement in early december, please stay well away from the coaching panel!

I really think we need to get over the Yze bashing.

Finally, the key problem with his game has been a habit of getting 'spooked' and 'hearing footsteps', as people have pointed out many times.

Unfortunately, and I realise that most on here don't realise it, but you don't win flags with players who get 'spooked'.

Unfortunately, and I realise that most on here don't realise it, but you don't win flags with players who get 'spooked'.

Spot on Hannabal. The thing that I most admired about Brisbane during their premiership reign was that their lightly framed players were not afraid to put their head over the ball. Players such as Lappin, McRea, Power, Ashcroft and especially Hart, would have all been categorized as soft outside players when drafted, but under Matthews' coaching, they never shirked a contest.

Let's hope DB instills this edict.

Well duh.

Guess that's something to do with why I highlighted it as the key problem with Yze.

Which, if controlled, could transform his game.

Obviously I don't think it's a big deal, hey?

Who the hell are these 'most people' you're trying to patronise, anyway?

Guess that's something to do with why I highlighted it as the key problem with Yze.

Which, if controlled, could transform his game.

Obviously I don't think it's a big deal, hey?

No you're right. Entering his 14th season he'll banish those demons for good.

"Who the hell are these 'most people' you're trying to patronise, anyway?"

99% of the readers.

I think we should give the guy a break. He's been one of our better players over the past decade and let's not forget that we made the finals in six of the last ten years.

Sorry WJ but that's a crock. This competition is set up so half of the teams play finals, which means a couple of average teams will get the chance. Hardly an achievement. To put it in even more perspective since our embarrasing GF loss in 2000 we have only won two finals games, and one of those victories was against an injury depleted Saints. The rest of our efforts have been dismal - at best. One of the reasons for this is because of a lack of leadership over the last 5 years, when the going gets tough our senior players go missing, and Yze is at the top of the list.

Yes he's had a good career and i will celebrate his contribution with all the other supporters but I won't be unhappy when he retires. Playing finals is only half the battle, you have to actually win more than just a couple to be successfull.

All teams have frontrunners, even good ones.

He is a forward pocket now, not a midfielder. Sure he's soft, but terribly good in the forward line as he has shown before.

Green also slams the ball indiscriminately onto his foot as soon as he hears 'footsteps,' and yet there are many who think he is worthy of captaining the side.

Greens' faults are more damaging to the side, because he still thinks he can play in the guts. Therefore, his mistakes are magnified.

Don't want to turn this into a diatribe against Green, I just want to point out that at FP there is still a role of someone as soft as Yze, who can find the footy.

No you're right. Entering his 14th season he'll banish those demons for good.

"Who the hell are these 'most people' you're trying to patronise, anyway?"

99% of the readers.

Exactly H.

When I read that article about I went :rolleyes: . As H mentioned before you dont win big games with players who get spooked. Yze gets spooked.

Yze was a very good player in 2002 then he started the short cuts and undisciplined and selfish football and he slowly went...downhill.

FCS, keeping Woey and not Yze at the end of 2002....you're dreaming.

FWIW, I really hope Yze does contribute in 2008.....I'm not holding my breath in expectation.

All teams have frontrunners, even good ones.

He is a forward pocket now, not a midfielder. Sure he's soft, but terribly good in the forward line as he has shown before.

Green also slams the ball indiscriminately onto his foot as soon as he hears 'footsteps,' and yet there are many who think he is worthy of captaining the side.

Greens' faults are more damaging to the side, because he still thinks he can play in the guts. Therefore, his mistakes are magnified.

Don't want to turn this into a diatribe against Green, I just want to point out that at FP there is still a role of someone as soft as Yze, who can find the footy.

He is good in the forward lines against crap oppositions and teams that dont man him properly. Against the harder tackling top teams he disappears.

Brad Green hears footsteps....turn it up. Green has his limitations but when its turn to go the hard ball and put his body on the line...he goes.

The comparison of a soft egg like Yze with Green is grossly misplaced.

There is no where on the footy field for players who are soft. I would have thought the premiers over the last 5 years would have proven that. Soft players go missing in big games and September when it counts most.

I think we should give the guy a break

the only way that melbourne will ever be a contender for a flag is to have the best crop of players running around. If yze drops his game he needs to be held accountable. After all this is a professional sport is it not?

I hope he (yze) recovers his form that made him damaging

It's a shame you can't say that around here without having monkeys throw their $%^$ at you.

To restate my point in the simplest way possible -

1. Yze was an effective player for many years.

2. Yze has had a downturn in form characterised by frayed nerves on field, and a lack of intensity.

3. Yze would once again be a valuable contributor if he could control that key problem.

4. If he doesn't deal with it, he'll be delisted at the end of the year without much second thought.

Now, Hannabal, feel free to tell me what the frickin problem is there, and why it means you get to say that 99% of the people here think soft players win premierships.

Brad Green hears footsteps....turn it up. Green has his limitations but when its turn to go the hard ball and put his body on the line...he goes.

The comparison of a soft egg like Yze with Green is grossly misplaced.

Correct.

I love Yze as he has been one of my definate favs for the last 10 years.

About the time I started getting really serious about footy was Yzes start.

So I love him and wish he could play for another 5 years.

However he is soft, always has been, and when someone compares him as someone similar to Brad Green when it comes to putting your head over the pill, its just a joke. Green is one of our truest players. When it's on the line, we need someone to hit the game hard, I look at Brad Green on the MCG and think, come on Greeny, show us something, two minutes later he is going at the ball head first and getting a handball out to your Adem Yze. The goal of the Yze gets noticed. But in truth, was Greens hard work.

Thats how it is with a player like Yze, will always receive in the big games. While Green will go get it.