• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Matt Burgan's phantom draft

sylvinator

If people want to read the full thing just check it out here - MATT BURGAN'S PHANTOM DRAFT

1 – CARLTON – MATTHEW KREUZER

2 – RICHMOND – TRENT COTCHIN

3 – WEST COAST – CHRIS MASTEN

4 – MELBOURNE – CALE MORTON

Claremont, WA, Tall midfielder/forward, January 18 1990, 191.5cm, 78.7kg

Melbourne won't believe its luck that a player some recruiting managers regard as the best in the draft will slip through to No.4. But that's the way the cards are falling, with Richmond certain to take Trent Cotchin and West Coast likely to pounce on Chris Masten ahead of Morton. Under this scenario, Melbourne will gladly snap up Morton, the youngest brother of Mitch (Richmond) and Jarryd (Hawthorn). The only other player who is a chance for Melbourne at No.4 is East Fremantle's Rhys Palmer.

Bio: A genuine utility, capable of playing onball, off a flank or as a key position forward. Noted for his ability to read the play and strong work rate. He was exceptional for Western Australia during the 2007 NAB AFL U18 Championships, averaging 25 possessions and nine marks per game, earning All-Australian honours and the Larke Medal. Recorded a 15.1 beep test result at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp. From Hale FC.

5 – WESTERN BULLDOGS – JARRAD GRANT

6 – ESSENDON – RHYS PALMER

7 – FREMANTLE – DAVID MYERS

8 – BRISBANE LIONS – LACHLAN HENDERSON

9 – ST KILDA – BEN McEVOY

10 – ADELAIDE – BRAD EBERT

11 – SYDNEY – ALEX RANCE

12 – HAWTHORN – JACK GRIMES

13 – WEST COAST – SCOTT SELWOOD

14 – MELBOURNE – PATRICK DANGERFIELD

Geelong Falcons, VIC, Medium midfielder, April 5 1990, 186.9cm, 82.8kg

Melbourne will be closely monitoring the whereabouts of Jack Grimes, Lachlan Henderson and Ben McEvoy, although the trio looks set to be claimed before No.14. It will seriously consider Patrick Veszpremi here, but with Dangerfield now likely to be overlooked by Adelaide at No.10, expect Melbourne to pounce. Tony Notte may also be strongly considered, as he is unlikely to last until Melbourne's next pick at No.21. Dangerfield has come right into the top bracket and will not get past Geelong (No.17).

Bio: A dashing medium midfielder or defender who shows distinct ability to win the contested ball. He is a graduate of the AIS-AFL Academy. Ranked in the top three for both the 30m repeat sprints (23.96sec) and the vertical leap (73cm) at the 2007 NAB AFL Draft Camp and was also a top 10 ranked performer in the 20m sprint (2.92sec). From Anglesea FC.

15 – KANGAROOS – CYRIL RIOLI

16 – PORT ADELAIDE – PATRICK VESZPREMI

17 – GEELONG – TONY NOTTE

18 – RICHMOND – TOM COLLIER

19 – WESTERN BULLDOGS – CALLAN WARD

20 – WEST COAST – ADDAM MARIC

21 – MELBOURNE – HARRY TAYLOR

East Fremantle, WA, Tall forward/defender, June 12 1986, 193cm, 90.8kg

Widely regarded as the best player from this year's state screenings, Taylor has met with at least nine AFL clubs and is strongly being pursued by several – including Melbourne at No.21. Expect the club to select him here, as Essendon (No.23), Fremantle (No.24) and Sydney (No.26) are also very keen. Collingwood has also shown interest, but it's highly unlikely Taylor will last until its first pick at No.31. If available, Tony Notte, Patrick Veszpremi, Callan Ward and Addam Maric are others Melbourne will consider here.

Bio: Versatile player who has appeared in a variety of positions at senior level with East Fremantle in the WAFL competition. High-possession winner who has a great work ethic. Excellent speed (2.91sec for 20m) and endurance (14.2 Beep Test).

22 – WEST COAST – DAWSON SIMPSON

23 – ESSENDON – TAYTE PEARS

24 – FREMANTLE – STEVEN BROWNE

25 – BRISBANE LIONS – BRENDAN WHITECROSS

26 – SYDNEY – ANDY OTTEN

27 – ADELAIDE – LEVI GREENWOOD

28 – PORT ADELAIDE – MARLON MOTLOP

29 – HAWTHORN – DAN McKENNA

30 – ADELAIDE – MITCHELL FARMER

53 – MELBOURNE – JAMES POLKINGHORNE

Calder Cannons, VIC, Medium midfielder, January 21 1989, 182.7cm, 81kg

Having had three selections at No.4, No.14 and No.21, Melbourne will be eagerly waiting to see who falls through to its next pick at No.52. One player who could be a realistic chance of slipping through is Polkinghorne, who is in the club's batch of players for this selection. Hawthorn will consider the nephew of former Hawk David Polkinghorne if it opts not to select Stuart Dew. The Brisbane Lions and West Coast (although unlikely at No.20 or No.22), are the other clubs linked with Polkinghorne.

Bio: High possession winner who excels at the stoppages. Athletic player who represented Vic Metro at NAB AFL U18 Championships and has debuted with Coburg in the VFL. Runner-up in the Calder Cannons Best and Fairest award for 2007.

66 – MELBOURNE – KYLE CHENEY

North Ballarat Rebels, VIC, Medium defender, August 25 1989, 184.6cm, 86.2kg

Cheney looms as a fascinating player in this draft. There has been some speculation he could be taken as early as No.33 by Port Adelaide and he has also been linked with West Coast, but the Eagles are out of the meeting by pick No.22. Melbourne looms as Cheney's most likely destination with one of its later choices. It may opt to select him at No.53, but otherwise it should be able to claim him here. Cheney is rated by some recruiters as one of the top prospects to have come through the state-based screenings this year.

Bio: Skilful medium defender who had an injury-interrupted start to the 2007 season before finishing off the year in great fashion.

73 – MELBOURNE – ASHLEY SAMPI

West Coast, WA, Small forward, January 21 1984, 178cm, 87kg

It is understood Melbourne may make a decision on what it does with this pick on the day, with everything depending on how the cards fall earlier. There is some chance it might pass on this selection and hold it over for the December pre-season draft. However, Sampi is already training with the club and is right in the mix for the red and blue. Melbourne may also consider Clayton Hinkley, if available, Austin Wonaeamirri, Charlie McAdam, Stefan Martin, James Mulligan and Joshua Smith with one of its later picks.

Bio: Exciting crumbing forward Sampi missed the entire 2007 season due to personal reasons. He played 78 matches and kicked 97 goals for West Coast from 2002-06. He was a NAB AFL Rising Star nominee in 2001.

Would people be happy if our draft ended up with Morton, Dangerfield and Harry Taylor?

I would be extremely happy with Morton and Dangerfield at 4 and 14. i duno bout this Taylor guy, but if Tayte Pears is still available at 21, surely we'd snap him up.

I'm surprised David Gourdis is so low, I thought he'd be a certainty for us at 21 if he slipped, but maybe he's not as highly rated in the recruiting fraternity.

I was a little surprised he didn't have Patrick McGinnity drafted at all.

There's always a few surprised on draft day with a couple of players picked up much earlier than expected...i hope one of Tony Notte or Tom Collier slip to 21. also would be stoked to get Maric or Veszpremi at 14 or 21.

also would be stoked to get Maric or Veszpremi at 14 or 21.

I concur with these sentiments. I'd much rather Veszpremi and Marric at 14 and 21, as they have an X factor, than Dangerfield and Taylor.

I'd also prefer to take a low risk, guaranteed return player at pick 4, hence i'd take Palmer or Masten over Morton, and leave the X factor selections to picks 14 and 21.

I concur with these sentiments. I'd much rather Veszpremi and Marric at 14 and 21, as they have an X factor, than Dangerfield and Taylor.

I'd also prefer to take a low risk, guaranteed return player at pick 4, hence i'd take Palmer or Masten over Morton, and leave the X factor selections to picks 14 and 21.

I have heard that the Morton brothers have strong family connections, something that gave WC problems. The parents are apparently, going to up sticks and move to Melbourne now that Mitch and Jarryd are with Melbourne clubs and WC have indicated they will stay clear of Cale. Cale will then also land at a Melbourne club. I don't see Richmond going past Cotchin at 2, nor WC Masten at 3. Palmer seems to have slipped a bit recently, but, I am happy with whatever we do; my choice would be Morton.

I would hope we take Rioli over Dangerfield if he slips and pray that Dangerfield lasts to 21.

Morton looks the likely number 4 but I would still rather Palmer.

My ideal draft would be

Pick 4: Palmer (I could deal with Morton, but he better come good)

Pick 14: Rance/Rioli

Pick 21: Dangerfield

Harry Taylor? Who? Where did this guy come from he'll be 22 year old next year? If this is turns out to be true CAC/Bailey must be looking for a ready-made key defender/forward. He's a good size 193 90kg and quick by the sounds of it. But why is this 21 year old not already in the AFL system?

I'll be stoked with Morton (you don't win the Larke medal unless you're good, this boy is), much more so than Masten or Palmer. Dangerfield is one player I had on my shortlist so he'd be welcome. I reckon Rioli might be better though. Maric sounds good but he'll probably get called out between our picks unfortunately. Am really hoping that Rance slides to 14.

i'd be really happy if at pick 4, 14 and 21 we manage a mix or Morton, Rioli, Dangerfield, Maric, Selwood or Veszpremi...

however realistically we are 100% going to take 1 or maybe 2 KPP with these picks, probably using pick 14 of a KPP.

Rance, Henderson or McEvoy would be my obvious 3 favourites.

However if they are gone by our pick i'd be happy with Grant, Collier, Pears or Gourdis.

btw, we should consider it a stroke of massive luck if we are able to nab Morton.

Firstly, he has the best skill set of any player in this draft. He could well be the best player the comes from this draft.

But importantly, he is EXACTLY the type of player we need. Having lost Johnstone this trade period, we could not have hoped for a better young replacement. He is the prefect comliment for Mclean, Jones, Sylvia and Bartram- all of whom are tough, nuggety players who aren't the best finishers but work their guts out all day.

Morton's athletic attributes are undeniable. 192cm and runs beep test of mid 15 and is fast. i'll be happy to get him.

just browsing for some more stuff about Morton and came across the Claremont FC website where Cale played a few games this year. Turns out the lad is a goalkicker as well.

Booting

5.0 in the colts prelim final vs South Freo (all kicked from CHF when he was switched there from the midfield)

1.0 in a colts semifinal loss to Swans

4.0 in a colts h&away round game against East Perth (playing as a roving midfielder)

4.0 and BOG performance in a colts game 100point thrashing of Perth (playing on the wing and at CHF)

The only blot on his otherwise exemplary copybook 1.5 in a colts match against West Perth (the lad still picked up 20 kicks, 6 effective handballs and 12 marks in a near BOG performance!!!)

His only other colts game was his debut against Subiaco. He booted only 0.1 off a wing but picked up 25 kicks, 4 effective handballs and 10 marks!!

In his league debut against Peel Thunder he booted 3.0

taking his goalkicking tally for the season to 18.6 from 7 games (6colts, 1 league).

Mighty impressive. This kid will be a star for us I reckon.

Edit: Just realised he actually got shut out of the Colts GF against Swans, no goals. so that should be 18.6 from 8 games (7colts & 1 league)

P.S. one of Morton's Claremont Colts teammates Patrick McGinnity could turn out to be a decent chance of a late smokey pick for us. He didn't even manage to squeeze into Burgan's phantom draft. He's a hard working defensive type, apparently this is the guy who shut down Cotchin at the U18 carnival, ideal long term replacement for Godfrey on our list I would think.

The true mr consistency for the Claremont colts team was a boy by the name of Matt DeBoer who didn't nominate for this years draft. He's bottom age and could be a likely 1st rounder for next years draft. You may have seen a few clips of his off the bigfooty link on another thread with the draft prospect footage. His blistering run and 4 bounce effort down the guts was a real standout against SA.

Stevo the TAC Cup man said here that Dangerfield has already declared that he won't play at the club that drafts him till 2009 because of school commitments. If we draft him CAC would have to regard him as very special and it would also say something about where we as a club consider where the list is at.

Stevo the TAC Cup man said here that Dangerfield has already declared that he won't play at the club that drafts him till 2009 because of school commitments. If we draft him CAC would have to regard him as very special and it would also say something about where we as a club consider where the list is at.

Particularly when Bailey has suggested he expects picks 4, 14 and 21 to play senior footy in 2008.

I don't think it says too much, draftees do very little in their first year (look at Nathan Jones) so I don't believe anyone should pick someone because they can start playing at 18 and not 19, if a team needs their output to achieve they were going to achieve anyway.

Particularly when Bailey has suggested he expects picks 4, 14 and 21 to play senior footy in 2008.

But that's not what CAC says on the Bigpond video interview - http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/42378

When asked whether the players we pick with our first three selections will play football in '08 he says some of them may but that won't be a major criterion because we're aiming for 10 year players and whether they're mature enough to play next year or whether their schooling allows it that won’t be the major criterion. Dangerfield is therefore definitely in contention despite his unavailability next year.

But that's not what CAC says on the Bigpond video interview - http://bigpondvideo.com/afl/42378

When asked whether the players we pick with our first three selections will play football in '08 he says some of them may but that won't be a major criterion because we're aiming for 10 year players and whether they're mature enough to play next year or whether their schooling allows it that won’t be the major criterion. Dangerfield is therefore definitely in contention despite his unavailability next year.

Yeah I saw that too this arvo. Interesting and may confirm our interest in Dangerfield. Apparently one of the few in the draft pool with genuine pace. Bailey likes pace!

Yeah I saw that too this arvo. Interesting and may confirm our interest in Dangerfield. Apparently one of the few in the draft pool with genuine pace. Bailey likes pace!

And some have been calling for pace for years.

• Like 1

I would be happy with these picks, we get Morton an outside midfielder/utility with good skills, Pace with Dangerfield, A key defender/Forward in Taylor who is also quick with a good tank, a ball winner in Polkinghorne, a medium size defender and a unfit small forward with huge talent in Sampi.

We then rookie a ruckman and a couple more talls.

Speed and skill is what we need to be looking at they are the two areas I thought stood out that we severely lacked in 2007.

I'm excited about tomorrow this is on of the most important drafts for the MFC since we took TJ at no1 in 97 and Col /Brock in 2003. 3 picks in the top 21 we really have a chance to unearth a couple of gems for the MFC.

Also agree mo and sylvinator. I am pining for the Vesz to come to Demonland as he sounds like the sort of player who could really become a hero with the fans. I've heard somebody describe him with 'he plays the way you imagine you'd play if you were an AFL player'. Great skills, takes blokes on and beats them, crashes packs, wins the footy and drives forward. Apparently he does everything at top speed and with 100% commitment. A lock top 5 selection (for 2007) after the 2006 National Championships, he has been crucified by injury this season (damaged finger being the most notable - I don't believe he is an injury risk) and his form has been only steady, though he did kick 8 goals in one TAC cup finals game only recently.

Too be perfectly honest I would be disappointed if, as Burgan moots, we took Dangerfield, Grimes, Henderson or McEvoy over Vesz at this pick.

Grimes is good, with terrific attitude and commitment, but his kicking is average.

Dangerfield has good raps but seems a little on the vanilla side (as you say mo), apart from his vaunted pace and a ripping name. I've also got to wonder why he is nominating for the draft if he plans to largely have nothing to do with the AFL next year, though the maturity he shows in wanting to focus on his schooling is certainly commendable.

I'm worried about Henderson's kicking and it also seems that he is being rated principally on his U-16s form (when he was a gun apparently, but so what?). From what people are saying he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, whilst he stood inside it, this year, though I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with his action; it seems to be confidence-related.

McEvoy is probably the best of these other players; you've got to love a bloke with buckets for hands, 199cm tall, good endurance and good skills. Smacks of Ottens. What troubles me is his pace. You needn't be a human missile at 199cms, but McEvoy's pace is a bit of a worry. And by that I mean its a genuine concern and probably the only thing stopping him from being a lock top-10 selection.

Notte looks really interesting, though having seen him in action I can say that he is an absolute stick insect, but without the useful ability of being able to camouflage himself amongst trees and other wooded foliage. If he turned side-on you wouldn't be able to see him. I've seen these players before. Rakes who never fill out. Notte might be different, but it's got to be his build that is the main thing counting against him at this stage.

In any case I won't be too peeved with whoever we select at 14, as long as we jag Morton at pick 4. This kid is going to be a good player at the very least, and has all the tools to become a real gun. I'm sure you'll all agree it's about bloody time we had another champion of the calibre of Robbie Flower (who was actually before my time, really, so I didn't even get to appreciate that! At least not live...).

With any luck sometime in the next 2-3 weeks Coxy and I can get down to training again and get some pictures of these new blokes. Hopefully we won't scare them.

McEvoy is probably the best of these other players; you've got to love a bloke with buckets for hands, 199cm tall, good endurance and good skills. Smacks of Ottens. What troubles me is his pace. You needn't be a human missile at 199cms, but McEvoy's pace is a bit of a worry. And by that I mean its a genuine concern and probably the only thing stopping him from being a lock top-10 selection.

I doubt CAC will take McEvoy at 14 after his "miss" with Slow-mo Smith at 16 with good skills and bucket hands a few (just under 426) seasons ago.

I doubt CAC will take McEvoy at 14 after his "miss" with Slow-mo Smith at 16 with good skills and bucket hands a few (just under 426) seasons ago.

It makes absolutely no sense for us to draft a ruckman with a 1st round pick. We could have just traded Johnstone for Wood, and saved our 3rd round pick.

Forget about drafting a ruckman, they take 3-4 years to develop they don't win you games. We already have 4 on our list you don't want to waste another spot with a ruckman. Rookie one and hopefully they can develop to compete at stopages and get more than 4 touches a game.

I'm not a ruckman fan, if I was Carlton I would waste No1 pick on Josh Fraser mark 2. Your midfield is the key if they are winning the footy more than likely your winning the game.

Burgatron's pick for #21 Harry Taylor is profiled today in the West Australian - Who will be crazy about Harry? as is Chris Masten - Taste of success leaves top draft hope craving more

"Taylor is 21, has played 48 WAFL matches and finished third in the club’s best and fairest this season behind Theo Adams and Brownlow medallist (Shane Woewodin Are we allowed to mention him now?).

At 193cm, Taylor is tall enough to play as a key defender but blitzed speed and endurance tests at last month’s State draft screenings to show he can play in the midfield if required."

Good to see mum's got the message across about using sunblock too!

Gee Burgan gets good mail. He's slotted Morton and Cheney and has listed both Grimes and Maric as two of the handful we were looking at for 14 and 21 respectively.

• 8 years later...
On 22/11/2007 at 2:04 PM, mo64 said:

Could this comment have gone any more wrong.... 

• Like 7