• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Judd's Worth

w00dy

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree Hannabal

LETS BE BOLD

LETS SHOW SOME INITIATIVE FOR ONCE

Lets put pull all stops to get C.Judd to Melbourne

He will have groin surgery in the next fortnight, and he will be as good as gold

Who wouldnt want a fully fit JUDD running around for the MFC? He will be the best player to ever pull on the Red and Blue, and we will be able to watch him and cheer for hiom every week!!

MY TRADE

Demons send Cameron Bruce, Chris Johnson, pick 4 and pick 21 to the Eagles

for Chris Judd and pick 15

Sorry to say this YM but it wont happen

I quite like Hannabal and YM's suggestions.

I was thinking a trade of Bruce (his versatility is a plus, he is rated highly -though one of most overrated players in the league IMO) Robbo, love him but WC are arguably a 50 goal forward short of another flag in the next two years so he could be a bonus to them and our first pick, selection 4.

Only question is, would it be enough?

I quite like Hannabal and YM's suggestions.

Only question is, would it be enough?

Let's remember, West Coast can't have it all their way if he wants to return. Judd strikes me as an honourable type, but honour only goes so far. He's uncontracted and only a preseason draft pick away from leaving for nothing. But like most here, I doubt he'll do that. I suspect he'll nominate his preferred club or clubs of choice.

So who's in the box seat ?

Carlton have the front running and they'll throw everything at getting him. They'd be mad if they didn't.

Essendon will go hard too. They have a reasonable pick and the cache to lure him.

Richmond will want him, but I doubt they'd be on his radar.

Collingwood will want him and have the resources, but they don't have the picks, and nor will West Coast want to deal with them.

That leaves me with the Dees. I've got no real clue as to our club's mindset. If it were me I'd be going hard. This club needs to lift itself out of the mire. We need to become relevent. This is the greatest opportunity confronting Melbourne in 40 years. Now I know some supporters won't see the benfit and think I'm exagerating. They're wide of the mark. Yes he'll cost a lot, but imo, there'd be an extra 3-4000 members annually contributing over half a million dollars revenue. And amagine the marketing opportunities for merchandising, sponsorship, etc. Currently, most clubs have a membership churn rate of about 25% each year, but I suspect that will be substantially less with Judd on board, as well as previous members coming back - new ones too. So they'll be big bang for our buck. But as stated, I've no clue what this historically conservative club will do, or what we're able to do. Is it realistic ? I don't know, but in my view we should go harder than anyone. With retirements and delistings our cap should see us in a position to compete.

And don't worry about his injury. A minor operation to remove some floating bone will see a fit Judd return to the best midfielder in the competition next year. A wonderful opportunity beckons. Let's hope the custodians of this club recognise the enormous prize at hand.

If I know Melbourne, the first they'll know of this will be reading it in the Sun this morning. Anyway, if it's true then Paul Gardner needs to put down his macchiato, pick up the phone and get on the horn to Paul Connors immediately.

-I believe Judd was a Melbourne supporter (or is that just wishful thinking?).

-He has already achieved ALL of the highest honours in the game. So likely he won't care too much if the club he ends up at is on the cusp of a flag or not. Good for us, because we are probably 3 or so years away.

-We have a newly vacated number 3 for him :rolleyes:

As an aside, that article in the Sun is very poorly written, for a man who's supposed to be the chief football writer. It's just a hash of speculation and presumptions in a totally pall mall arrangement.

For us to land Judd, firstly he has to want to play here and not else where.

As for trades i would trade any one except, mclean, jones and would rather keep petterd, dunn other than that rest is fair game.

never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that wont give Bate a go. Jesus christ i would prefer to lose pettard and retain Bate. Give the boy some well deserved recognition. Bate, Bartram, Pettard, DUnn, Frawley, McLean, Sylvia, Jones deserve to be kept

That leaves me with the Dees. I've got no real clue as to our club's mindset. If it were me I'd be going hard. This club needs to lift itself out of the mire. We need to become relevent. This is the greatest opportunity confronting Melbourne in 40 years. Now I know some supporters won't see the benfit and think I'm exagerating. They're wide of the mark. Yes he'll cost a lot, but imo, there'd be an extra 3-4000 members annually contributing over half a million dollars revenue. And amagine the marketing opportunities for merchandising, sponsorship, etc. Currently, most clubs have a membership churn rate of about 25% each year, but I suspect that will be substantially less with Judd on board, as well as previous members coming back - new ones too. So they'll be big bang for our buck. But as stated, I've no clue what this historically conservative club will do, or what we're able to do. Is it realistic ? I don't know, but in my view we should go harder than anyone. With retirements and delistings our cap should see us in a position to compete.

It's a nice story but I think the club might have other priorities ahead of getting Judd on top of which we've been there and done that before.

The Judd option is one that involves putting all of our eggs in one basket and regrettably, we are not very well placed to that at the moment. We need to get our house in order, to stabilise our finances and build our list from the ground up (or at least from the position where it's at now) before we can go for a great white hope to get us across the line.

Getting a star player like Judd won't help us much if there's a problem with the foundations of our team. We went down that track in the early '80's at great expense when we got Kelvin Templeton and Peter Moore but had very little around them with which to produce a successful team. It took another five years to make it to the finals and by that time Templeton was gone and Moore wasn't good enough to make the side.

I personally hope Carlton get Judd. It will be money well spent from their point of view and in three or four years time they will be back to square one.

Judd was a Demon fan when he was young, there are some sentimental stories going around about his continuing attachment to the red and blue and the influence of his idol Garry Lyon. But sentiment won't get him. Cold, hard cash will and we don't have enough of that. Winning against the Bulldogs and the Blues in Rounds 19 and 22 respectively did not help either.

I hope we concentrate on developing our own players, trading and recruiting wisely and building our club under the new coaching regime.

never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that wont give Bate a go. Jesus christ i would prefer to lose pettard and retain Bate. Give the boy some well deserved recognition. Bate, Bartram, Pettard, DUnn, Frawley, McLean, Sylvia, Jones deserve to be kept

Pfft, Pedro is going to be a superstar and he's shown that and is younger than Bate, Bate needs to perform more consistently...

Let's remember, West Coast can't have it all their way if he wants to return. Judd strikes me as an honourable type, but honour only goes so far. He's uncontracted and only a preseason draft pick away from leaving for nothing. But like most here, I doubt he'll do that. I suspect he'll nominate his preferred club or clubs of choice.

So who's in the box seat ?

Carlton have the front running and they'll throw everything at getting him. They'd be mad if they didn't.

Essendon will go hard too. They have a reasonable pick and the cache to lure him.

Richmond will want him, but I doubt they'd be on his radar.

Collingwood will want him and have the resources, but they don't have the picks, and nor will West Coast want to deal with them.

And don't worry about his injury. A minor operation to remove some floating bone will see a fit Judd return to the best midfielder in the competition next year. A wonderful opportunity beckons. Let's hope the custodians of this club recognise the enormous prize at hand.

A well written post with good explanations. I'm one of those who doesn't want him. Yes he is a great player but I think there are several reasons why his presence at Melbourne wouldn't be in the best interest of the club:

a) He has OP and foot injuries and I'm a bit tired of watching Moloney and Sylvia struggeling to get games through similar injuries. I absolutely love Moloney and thought he would get back to his usual in 1 years time out after injury. Unfortunately that was not the case. He has played since 05 for us in that great game he played against Essendon in the Troy Broadbridge game. Since then there are few games which I can say he was a real presence. Sylvia is similar.

b) The team has issues with its ruck duties and backline. Our spine is somewhat questionable and we need to do what the hawks did and build a team around the spine. Carroll is not a FB, at best he can take the 2nd best forward. Frawley looks good and will take time which is fine by me. Jones will be the future gun in the midfield but there are CHF issues with Dunn more of an onballer wingman (like Dale Thomas).

c) We really need to concentrate on the defence. The MFC has had one of the worst defensive halves for many many years in my opinion and we are still 1 tall forward and 1 small forward needed. The ruck is obvious. No need to elaborate there. The CHF is a key concern. I really like Dunn but there are some question marks about his built size. The forward line is also 1 key tall forward short for when Neitz leaves and Newton takes FF he will need another key player beside him. And a small crumming forward is needed too, with Davey seeming to play more midfield.

d) I don't want to look at what other clubs are doing but Geelong has a very even board. No-one really stands out - perhaps apart from Ablett and Bartel but they are not champions. They are however very good all over the ground. Giving up picks which we could use for ruck, defence or forward players is silly, really silly and is not in the interest of the club. Sure you wanna trade Robbo and Judd would be a great asset if we only lost him but WCE will want picks and Iam not prepared to do that if it were me in charge of it.

I personally hope Carlton get Judd. It will be money well spent from their point of view and in three or four years time they will be back to square one.

I hope we concentrate on developing our own players, trading and recruiting wisely and building our club under the new coaching regime.

WJ good to see your cold has not robbed you of your common sense. We will not get Judd and we won't even be in the ballpark when the price is revealed. Not his salary or the trade cost. Your last line says it all. I hope he gets 1.5 million for 8 years from the Blues and that he costs plenty in a trade and in a few years we see the Blues supporters starting another election to get rid of this group that has destroyed them.

Some sage words Occo.. youre not alone in not wanting Judd. Thats not to say i wouldnt mid a player of his calibre ( when fit 0 . But its just bullsh!t ,all this rubbish about trades etc.. . 1) were not even in the hunt and 2) he'd simply be the wrong choice as he is.

So for mine many need to get their realities reset and look to obtainable outcomes. Judd isnt it..and Im sick to death of it all to be frank.

Youre also correct about beamer.. a hard choice looms. Thats a reality.

Too many folk get lost in the romance etc of this player or that player that they lose sight of the inadequacies f theteam as a whole and seem capable of forgiving all the tresspasses of one fellow whilst castigating another.

We got a ways to go , and Judd aint it!!!

A well written post with good explanations. I'm one of those who doesn't want him. Yes he is a great player but I think there are several reasons why his presence at Melbourne wouldn't be in the best interest of the club:

a) He has OP and foot injuries and I'm a bit tired of watching Moloney and Sylvia struggeling to get games through similar injuries. I absolutely love Moloney and thought he would get back to his usual in 1 years time out after injury. Unfortunately that was not the case. He has played since 05 for us in that great game he played against Essendon in the Troy Broadbridge game. Since then there are few games which I can say he was a real presence. Sylvia is similar.

B) The team has issues with its ruck duties and backline. Our spine is somewhat questionable and we need to do what the hawks did and build a team around the spine. Carroll is not a FB, at best he can take the 2nd best forward. Frawley looks good and will take time which is fine by me. Jones will be the future gun in the midfield but there are CHF issues with Dunn more of an onballer wingman (like Dale Thomas).

c) We really need to concentrate on the defence. The MFC has had one of the worst defensive halves for many many years in my opinion and we are still 1 tall forward and 1 small forward needed. The ruck is obvious. No need to elaborate there. The CHF is a key concern. I really like Dunn but there are some question marks about his built size. The forward line is also 1 key tall forward short for when Neitz leaves and Newton takes FF he will need another key player beside him. And a small crumming forward is needed too, with Davey seeming to play more midfield.

How did I know that the bulk of Melbourne supporters would be apathetic about getting Judd ? They wouldn't know an opportunity if it ran over them. Let's have more and more of the same old. Let's not get the best midfielder of the last 30 years back at the MCG for 8+ years.

Let's get this straight. Judd doesn't have OP. He doesn't have what Moloney has. Or what Ball has. He has some floating bone that needs clearing up. My source is impeccable.

And yes Occo, we need a better defence, a better ruck, no doubt. But we have had a poor midfield for years, despite supporters on this site continually overplaying the quality of our midfield. It's where games are won and lost and where we've been losing ours. No doubt it's a work in progress but Judd would have a massive effect on our winning ability. He's the best inside and outside mid I've seen. Do you know how rare it is for players to successfully combine both facets of midfield play ? I doubt the average supporter understands how good Judd is. He's a freak.

Just because we get Judd doesn't mean we forget about improving other deficiencies. That's the beauty of smart drafting; ie Westhoff; the natural maturation of your list; and astute developmental coaching. It's not "we got Judd but we'll have no defence or rucks for years". That's fanciful.

Also, I knew the Moore and Templeton argument would be trotted up. It's irrelevant. It's nearly 30 years ago, it's pre drafting, and it doesn't take into account the successful trades since. Most out and out stars don't want to leave their club. This could be one of those rare opportuinities. It will be the biggest move since Barassi. I don't think some of you supporters 'get it'.

I'm all for growing our own list and developing our young. But I also recognise one of the great opportunities to possibly ever present itself to this club.

But, as I said, how did I know most Melbourne supporters would say "thanks but no thanks".

Unbelievable.

For the record, I want Judd. I really don't want to have to trade any U23s (just because it's robbing our strengths - i think the Coasters will be after picks to grab Morton/Palmer/Masten/Rance anyway)... I see a few of their supporters on BF ( :wacko: ) are keen on Robbo. It's a possibility.

I think about I mil a year is about right for Judd, (He could share captaincy with Neita for a year - and automatically as captain be paid a premium wage anyway) I won't be critical of the club though if it doesn't pursue him if he starts to get towards 1.2 -1.5 mil a year as you lose too much with not being able to retain better players on your list.

Just because we get Judd doesn't mean we forget about improving other deficiencies. That's the beauty of smart drafting; ie Westhoff; the natural maturation of your list; and astute developmental coaching. It's not "we got Judd but we'll have no defence or rucks for years". That's fanciful.

haha how often does a player like westoff, bartram or hird come along at that late in the draft. I recently spent hours looking at the draftees and few have had any influance after pick 60. Are we going to put luck into our hands that we get a great ruckman, fb or ff at pick 60+. If we say yes, we shouldnt be a footy club. Westoff is a rariety otherwise noone would have given much of a toss about him. I would really like Judd yes, but i am not prepared to throw away a year of pain to get another midfielder when its our key positions that are struggeling. And yes to mark ur words "games are won in the midfield"... they are actually won in the ruck most of the time. And we dont wanna go hard for a ruckman. Jeez

Judd is, if not the best all round footballer going round he would have to be top 3.

Champions lift the players around them, how much better are we when Neita is on the ground. Alot of the younger Melbourne players inspire their teamates but none consistently.

IMO Judd is worth any 2 players on our list and a draft pick (hopefully not 4 but 20) as his ability to perform when it counts is unquestionable. Norm Smith in a losing GF side.

Having said that I think the eagles will make him an offer he can't refuse.

i would give alot for a good midfielder like judd, but i would prefer a good forward to replace neitz when he goes and get rid of miller. maybe someone like fevola or an up and comer like roughhead.

i reckon a good trade would be (if we wanted judd)

to wce: michael newton, travis johnstone and pick 4. this is because two players who we know can play at an afl level (johnstone and newton) and a good pick who is assured of playing afl. west coast need a good forward too, so they wouldnt mind newton.

to melb: judd and a third/fourth round pick. our midfeild would then be ready to fire with mclean, jones, judd, bruce. get some class in there too, some one who can break open the packs like judd would be good. i agree that judd would want to get away from west coast, it is such a bad environment to be in for such a good player.

if we wanted a key forward like fevola, my suggestion would be:

to carlton: pick 4 and our third round pick, as well as travis johnston or brad green (only one of them).

to melbourne: fevola and a third/fourth round pick. and some money from dick pratt would be nice.

all of this is only applicable if we are looking to move forward quickly in the next year or two, such as what port adelaide did fter there bad form in 2005/2006. if we are looking to rebuild, i would not trade our high picks at all. i spose its all up to the new staff. lets hope baily and connelly do some good for us.

i would give alot for a good midfielder like judd, but i would prefer a good forward to replace neitz when he goes and get rid of miller. maybe someone like fevola or an up and comer like roughhead.

i reckon a good trade would be (if we wanted judd)

to wce: michael newton, travis johnstone and pick 4. this is because two players who we know can play at an afl level (johnstone and newton) and a good pick who is assured of playing afl. west coast need a good forward too, so they wouldnt mind newton.

to melb: judd and a third/fourth round pick. our midfeild would then be ready to fire with mclean, jones, judd, bruce. get some class in there too, some one who can break open the packs like judd would be good. i agree that judd would want to get away from west coast, it is such a bad environment to be in for such a good player.

if we wanted a key forward like fevola, my suggestion would be:

to carlton: pick 4 and our third round pick, as well as travis johnston or brad green (only one of them).

to melbourne: fevola and a third/fourth round pick. and some money from dick pratt would be nice.

all of this is only applicable if we are looking to move forward quickly in the next year or two, such as what port adelaide did fter there bad form in 2005/2006. if we are looking to rebuild, i would not trade our high picks at all. i spose its all up to the new staff. lets hope baily and connelly do some good for us.

Rhino talk to this person, please !!!!

*Bruce & TJ to Eagles +

exchange our 1st rnd pick No 4 for their current 1st rnd pick.

Easily the best trade thrown up.

Bruce and TJ will dominate being the 4th and 5th midfielder for WCE.

I'll keep the 4th pick but if push comes to shove, i can live with switching picks.

I know Rhino will rubbish it but in his world no one will get traded. I've never seen him throw a trade up yet he continues to rubbish others.

Of course most are rubbish but Bruce and TJ shouldn't be sneezed at.

We have to realise what judd would bring to a struggling club like melbourne

Increased membership thousands more would join just because of Judd (i know i would)

Sponsorships we would attract

Leadership pure playing ability

He would make our players play better simply cause hes on the ground

The list goes on, this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for melbourne if we could land him, arguably the best ever player to play the game.

The number 3 guernsey is waiting, the captaincy will be open after neita retires, judd would bring so much to our great club now the melbourne footy club has to make it happen.

I would be pi$$ed if we paid some crazy amount of cash for Judd!!!!

We need to work on accountability, passion and pride for the Red 'n Blue!!!!

That sort of stuff doesn't cost money!

A few decent (not bank breaking) trades and some good draft picks is the way to go....

Let's draft our own Judd....

I for one would get sick of defending the club when people keep saying "You bought the Flag... You only won it because you paid out of your ar$eholes to get Judd!"

If the guy wants to play for us, then he can, but if he wants to rape us financially to do it..... BUGGER OFF!!!