• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match of the Century (Tank Talk Merged)

Guest unstable punt
next week is going to be a farce.

both teams supporters actually wanting the other side to lose. there really should not be a situation like this occur.

there is no doubt carlton are tanking...houlihan and lappin late withdrawels for 2 shithouse 18 yrolds...honestly how obvious can u get?

yep with us having an injury list 0f 20 by next week its going to be a classic to watch???????????????

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the players are tanking, but there's been some very suss coaching moves over the past few weeks. For example, Fevola being benched at the start of the second half last week against Essendon when they were 5 goals up, and the benching of him during the final minutes vs Collingwood when the game was in the balance.

[quote name='sylvinator' date='Aug 25 2007,

"next week is going to be a farce."

"both teams supporters actually wanting the other side to lose".

I don't think either team's supporters will want the other team to LOSE!!!!!!

I agree that the AFL should have foreseen the possibility of this farce occurring, and not created rules to allow it.

Both teams are playing for a bigger prize than the 4pts next game. Why is anyone surprised at the goings on from either team !!

The trouble is that we are far dumber than Carlton and they will conspire to make us win. After the year we have had if we lose pick 2 and the priority pick, we deserve the hindrance to our improvement it will cause.

It's not so much that we're dumber Redleg. It's that we are so less competent in what we do. Look how effortlesslesly they had Houlihan and Lappin replaced before the game. It's joke!

Having said tht it wuld be great if we could follow their lead.

next week is going to be a farce.

both teams supporters actually wanting the other side to lose. there really should not be a situation like this occur.

there is no doubt carlton are tanking...houlihan and lappin late withdrawels for 2 shithouse 18 yrolds...honestly how obvious can u get?

um i dont want us to lose? what are you on about. i couldnt give a flying F&^$ if we got pick 4 instead of 3. The very fact that we are getting a top 5 pick is a bonus seeing most people think we have a great list. I want to bloody thump the blues. Who cares if they are tanking. Getting this no 1 pick for them will mean they have 3 no 1 draft picks. Thats no gaurantee for success. Look at st. kilda for gods sakes. Those draft picks are surrounded by hacks at carlton.

Melbourne by 40 points.

Ratten has the job for two years. This year is finished for him anyway. A loss gives him pick 1 and pick 3 which will be of great benefit to him during his 2 years. If enough improvement is shown he will probably get an extension. I know what i would do if i were Ratten - TANK.

Riley still has his coaching future on the line so i think he will want to chalk up a win. His only problem is can he get enough fit players on the field.

If we play like we did in the first quarter yesterday we should win.

There are a few players getting games who will not get a sniff next year with a near full list available.

If we did not have injuries Sandy would give Carlton a run for its money (LOL).

Well, it's official now, the farcical match of the last two centuries is fixtured as the last match of the home and away rounds in 2007.....at twilight on a Sunday.

Well done, AFL, but you'll never admit you've created a stupid, but predictable, situation.

Im not sure the afl foresaw melbourne and carlton playing off for draft picks in the final round of the year when the draw was structured. They obviously envisigad a huge for year for us which is why we played collingwood twice. Boy how wrong they were.

I'm shocked that people actually want to see us win next week.

Forget about the difference between pick 3 and pick 4, what about the extra pick in the second round?

That is a massive bonus, especially since we want to turnover a lot of the list.

I really don't understand the logic behind winning next week, and I doubt very much that Riley does either.

If he is to be judged on his win-loss record alone, he won't be coaching us next year, not even as an assistant.

This is all about doing what is best for the MFC going forward. What good will beating Carlton do? It's not exactly beating Geelong in Geelong, or West Coast at Subiaco. It's Carlton, winning against them is a hollow feeling, it doesn't say a thing about your own team's ability or talent. Losing gives us the greatest advantage and something to take from this season. We've suffered enough in 2007, lets at least take full advantage of it.

Well, it's official now, the farcical match of the last two centuries is fixtured as the last match of the home and away rounds in 2007.....at twilight on a Sunday.

Well done, AFL, but you'll never admit you've created a stupid, but predictable, situation.

At the start of the season, did anyone seriously have us battling out for the bottom spots on the ladder? I think NOT! There is no way this could have been predicted. We were top 4 contenders in the eyes of many - myself included!

um i dont want us to lose? what are you on about. i couldnt give a flying F&^$ if we got pick 4 instead of 3. The very fact that we are getting a top 5 pick is a bonus seeing most people think we have a great list. I want to bloody thump the blues. Who cares if they are tanking. Getting this no 1 pick for them will mean they have 3 no 1 draft picks. Thats no gaurantee for success. Look at st. kilda for gods sakes. Those draft picks are surrounded by hacks at carlton.

Melbourne by 40 points.

short sighted.

Rather 5 minutes with Megan Gale then marrying Jennifer Hawkins.

I'm not saying that it was predictable that the farcical match would be Melb/Carl. I just predicted(more than 2 years ago, on this forum), that a ridiculous situation was likely to arise in rnd 22, where 2 teams would meet ,with both sides being in a position where they MUST NOT WIN.

It was going to be somebody,and unfortunately it's us.

This same debate is going on among Carlton people. Does anyone know the name of the trophy the two teams play for when they play against each other?

I think it's the Ronald Dale Barassi cup. The man should refuse to present it this week.

I'm not saying that it was predictable that the farcical match would be Melb/Carl. I just predicted(more than 2 years ago, on this forum), that a ridiculous situation was likely to arise in rnd 22, where 2 teams would meet ,with both sides being in a position where they MUST NOT WIN.

It was going to be somebody,and unfortunately it's us.

My apologies Jack - I misunderstood your meaning.......

I'm shocked that people actually want to see us win next week.

Forget about the difference between pick 3 and pick 4, what about the extra pick in the second round?

That is a massive bonus, especially since we want to turnover a lot of the list.

I really don't understand the logic behind winning next week, and I doubt very much that Riley does either.

If he is to be judged on his win-loss record alone, he won't be coaching us next year, not even as an assistant.

This is all about doing what is best for the MFC going forward. What good will beating Carlton do? It's not exactly beating Geelong in Geelong, or West Coast at Subiaco. It's Carlton, winning against them is a hollow feeling, it doesn't say a thing about your own team's ability or talent. Losing gives us the greatest advantage and something to take from this season. We've suffered enough in 2007, lets at least take full advantage of it.

It amazes me that some people just plain don't get it.

If we win we lose a priority pick before round 2. That can be used on a fairly good player or as part of a trade deal.

We will also lose pick 2 and get pick 4 instead. That could be the difference between a Judd and a Fiora.

We will also lose pick 2 in the pre season draft which if Richmond declare their pick, can be used to get a couple of players by the threat of taking them for free if they are not traded. The same way we lost Farmer.

On the other hand we could get a win over a club that has no interest in winning at all. Then we can watch our club lose the advantages of a loss with its picks gone and the club set back on its recovery.

What is so bloody hard to understand?

Jarred Waite has just been ruled out with a headache that starts Sunday afternoon.

Marc Murphy has just been ruled next week as he has to buy panadol for Waite.

Carazzo has just been ruled out as he has to drive Murphy to the pharmacy.

Gibbs has just been ruled out as he has to tell Carazzo where the pharmacy is.

Betts has been ruled out because he cant stand to see anyone with a headache.

Whitnall has been ruled out because he might want to buy some jellybeans at the chemist and ruin his diet.

O'Hailpin has been ruled out because he is upset that Whitnall can't have his jellybeans etc.

It amazes me that some people just plain don't get it.

lol

yes its pretty funny that many dont quite "GET " it !! its a game of football chess. The winner loses. Simple really.

But the constraints are...

you can't look like your playing to lose

you cant fake too many injuries, but you can elvate minor ones to "near death"

you can only play 6 players at a time out of position

at least one shot in ten at goal must result in the six points

No obvious forfeits like too many players are allowed in the first 3 quarters. Last one is anything goes.

Only 7 kicks per team are allowed per quarter to the opposition. Accidental handpasses are gratis !!

Only Melbourne is allowed to use the Stynes technique of allowing 'unfortunate' 50's to be awarded against them.

All kicks for goal will probably be taken on the non-preferred foot.

All 'hamming' it up will need to score 5 or above in order for the player to be allowed to come off

Loss of limbs etc will be treated as flesh wounds only and will rewarded with a free inside the forward 50 to counter such tendencies.

waxing with your opponent is frowned upon

and finally card games and 'ends' of boule are not allowed in the first half.

gunna be the funniest game all year....ought to be our highest attendance...lol :lol::wacko:

whilst i agree there is nothing to be gained from us winning this week really...

carlton have much more to lose than we do.

if carlton win, they lose pick 1. if Melbourne win, they lose pick 18... pick 18 will not change our fortunes so dramatically and anyone who think it will are living in a different world.

pick 18 will definitely be a bonus. we might pick up a really goood player with that pick...but at the end of the day, a pick late first round guerentees NOTHING! people shouldnt get so worked up if we win. carlton are the side really playing to lose because they have something big to lose (pick 1). thats why we will win

agreed..Carlton seem to have more to play for...thats play for...not "WIN" for !! lol..Still it would adversely affect our picks also should they lose.. ..almost eve-stevens..but not quite !! Wonder how many 'academy' awards for injuries wil lbe handed out. Suspect Carlton are at home busy studying the World cup antics as I write !! lol ;)

I'd like Richmond to win today to make the week even more exciting. A couple of Tiger victories and all of a sudden that last game also becomes the battle for the wooden spoon and pick # 1.

Looks like your wish has been granted. So the loser picks up two prizes. Who'd have thought?

Of course the Tiges still have to beat St Kilda.