The Kevin Sheedy for Melbourne Coach Topic

tallstuey

Hi folks,

Following on from the "Sheedy is our man -think about it" thread, Tim Watson painted a compelling picture as to why Melbourne should think about Sheeds for the next 3 or 4 years on SEN thismorning.

Apart from galvanizing or supporters into a more parochial and passionate group, there are the huge marketing advantages as already outlined and another plus would be the attraction or CORPORATE support. This is now a paramount concern, especially heading in to out 150th year.

Just as a coach is not the SOLE reason as to why a team does well or poorly, neither should a coach be ingnored by virtue of the fact that he his slightly older than our preferred coaches profile, especially if he has the capacity to DRAMATICALLY improve the club in so many other intangible areas.

His appointment need not be for more than three years initially although there can be an option for both parties to continue if the relationship is going well. I feel sure that with the right coaching structure put in place under him with some young, energetic and extremelly motivated developing coaches as his assistants (and also with the view to succeeding him in a few years), it could work well. Sheedy could mentor them ito a gradual handover eventually.

Finally visualise something like this for 2008.

• Coach - Sheedy (a skilled tactician, wiley old fox and marketers dream at the helm),

• Assistant (Chief) - Voss or McKenna- being further groomed to lead us for the long term,

• Boom recruit- Pavlich?? A couple of hard trades to secure the long term services of a KPP,

• 150th Birthday with these new men at the club.
Do you dare to dream? Make it so!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh i saw him on sunrise say the same thing, he said people would think he is stupid to say it , but firmly believes the dees would be an ideal location for him and would help the marketing of the club a fair bit.

I only want sheeds if we indeed do like you say get an assistant like voss, mckenna etc so they can learn under the great man and take over after 2 years.

The only thing i cant stop thinking about the whole thing is would his heart be in it to coach a club with the same passion he showed at essendon.

But imagine the crowd numbers of us vs the bombers !

Guest wheres_jacka

Now the whole Pavlich thing is too much. We won't even have first pick in the PSD. Where has the reality gone?

Only if he ditches the recruiting side of things and lets CAC do his job.

I wouldn't have him, if he wants to control the drafting.

Couldnt agree with you more. CAC is a great recruiter...one of the best if not the best

Yeh, sheedy has an over-the-top obsession with drafting indigenous players and as a results continually blinds him from picking the best players come draft day.

yep...he got some infuriating preoccupations hasnt he !!

hmm Sheedy ..4 cups !! all Melb coaches in that time...umm....NONE !!!

if Sheeds comes...he can do what he likes !! IT WORKS !!

be like the master and the apprentice !!

only a fool wouldnt back Yoda !! :-)))

hmmm

i wonder if this isnt what Gazza had in mind all along when he suggested Sheedy ought to part with Essendon..

so he could come to us !!!!! ;) :D ;)

And another thing, Sheedy's success has no doubt been helped by the rich, successful, powerful environment of Windy Hill.

He won't get nearly as much support at Melbourne, be it financially, or in terms of manpower.

He'll be lucky to have half the number of assistants and support staff that he did at Essendon.

We can't just look at Sheedy in isolation. The club itself has been a huge help to his success. Plus, he's almost always had at least one superstar in his side. Be it Daniher, Thompson, Hird etc...

ahhh ....Confucious say.....Sometimes you need to build the house you wish to live in. Not just move into one !! :-)

Guest wheres_jacka
And another thing, Sheedy's success has no doubt been helped by the rich, successful, powerful environment of Windy Hill.

He won't get nearly as much support at Melbourne, be it financially, or in terms of manpower.

He'll be lucky to have half the number of assistants and support staff that he did at Essendon.

We can't just look at Sheedy in isolation. The club itself has been a huge help to his success. Plus, he's almost always had at least one superstar in his side. Be it Daniher, Thompson, Hird etc...

Wow! Thompson was a superstar????????? Dont let the truth get in the way of a good post eh? :rolleyes:

Wow! Thompson was a superstar????????? Dont let the truth get in the way of a good post eh? :rolleyes:

He was a good footballer, who won 2 B&Fs and was a premiership captain.

There are a whole host of names I could choose from, but Thompson just popped into my head.

He wasn't James Hird, but he was a very good player.

I agree with most posters. Its just not about obtaining Sheedy, its about building a winning team. We can't rely on one man. If PG/SH are serious about winning premierships we have to attract a high-profile assistant. Someone who will be knocking on Sheedy's door.

For that reason I hope that one of Harvey/McKenna/Ratten or Viney is appointed as an assistant. I also believe Sheedy will be capable of getting some legends back to the club.

Its our 150th birthday, lets play it up. I'd love to see Barrassi, Flower, Lyon, Stynes and Viney return to the club in some capacity. Maybe Barrassi and Flower could be named ambassadors of the club for the year to appear at functions and in the media. Lyon could return in a consultant type role for both on and off field issues. Stynes as ruck coach? Viney as midfield? Its just ideas but Sheedy is the kinda bloke that could make it happen.

I also believe Sheedy will lift the indigenous boys, especially Davey. He'd be a great investment, why not invest three years in him, considering we gave ND 10.

Whether it happens or not...? And don't forget a Crazy John inspired Richmond will also be keen on KS.

Just thinking out loud.........

If Kevin Sheedy came to Melbourne, would Byron Pickett be given another year? Sheedy could be a positive influence or is it too late for Byron?

Interesting point. I reckon Sheedy would at least think he could have an influence. If there was room on the list I'd say Sheedy would allow Pickett one more. I for one hope if that was to happen it'd be at a pay cut. The way I see it Byron owes us for the $330,000 we paid him this year. He has been easily the biggest disappointment of 2007, and there has been plenty!

Yes Pickett owes us PLENTY and Sheedy could help him. Don't know why he would necessairly be better at that considering Dean Rioli never got his weight down in a very successful era for Essendon.

Things is, I will be vey p1ssed off if Gardner does not consider Sheedy. We want to be successful and he is one of the best coaches. I personally would be offering the job straight out. no personality tests needed, no outside 'consultants'.

I saw a good quote this morning by people that made me think of the Dees. Paraphrasing it went "There are football people in football and there are people in football, and there is a big difference".

I believe we have people in football at Melbourne. Bring him in if we wants it.

Just thinking out loud.........

If Kevin Sheedy came to Melbourne, would Byron Pickett be given another year? Sheedy could be a positive influence or is it too late for Byron?

Sheedy would love to coach Byron

I bet he has wanted the chance to coach him for many years

Sheedy would love to coach Byron

I bet he has wanted the chance to coach him for many years

He's had two chances to recruit him in the past but did not. Hmmm.

The only person that could have helped Byron is Byron and he has failed miserably.

I am praying for Sheedy now.

Would be massive for the MFC.

Why is this so?

My accountant, a huge long-term Bomber member, berates me each year at tax time as says Sheedy was the underachiever of all time who plays favourites constantly and watsed the last 7 seasons at Essendon, constantly playing others out of position.

He planned to not renew next year unless Sheedy went.

Figure that out.

Why is this so?

My accountant, a huge long-term Bomber member, berates me each year at tax time as says Sheedy was the underachiever of all time who plays favourites constantly and watsed the last 7 seasons at Essendon, constantly playing others out of position.

He planned to not renew next year unless Sheedy went.

Figure that out.

"Playing favourites" and "playing players out of position" are two of the lines that people who have very little depth of understanding of footy tote the most.