Email from Peter Lawrence

Satan

It’s hard to argue with what he says and I have never supported anything Peter has said or done so far.

My partner recently showed me the Benny Gale interview when he took over as CEO of Richmond.
This was a person who strived for the best and mapped out the way to get there. A strategic plan is more than stating a few objectives on a whiteboard. 

We seem to promise a lot at board level and deliver 3/5’s of FA. Least of all any plan and/or strategy. And we do this under the veil of darkness or secrecy. 

Here is the Gale interview for those who can’t remember:

Edited by JJJ
Grammar [censored]
  • Like 5

I am guessing all members received the email.

My question is who is he and how in a hell full of demons did he get my email address?

6 minutes ago, Stretch Johnson said:

I am guessing all members received the email.

My question is who is he and how in a hell full of demons did he get my email address?

He went to court last year to get a binding decision from a judge for the club to give him all our details.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 2

Binned mine as well. Not happy that the Club had to supply our personal information to an unelected Board Member??? I am all for Democracy but only if they are legitimately elected members of the said Board. 

Edited by DeeZone
Democracy
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I know him and he's a very nice guy who is very passionate about the club....just like you and I.

I do believe this board needs some accountability and we need an independent review across the entire club. Its a normal and legal process he has gone through to collect emails.  Each to their own, but I don't recommend blindly trusting this board, nor should you blindly trust Peter.  But do know, he has the best interests at heart.  Whilst I don't fully understand it all, to my knowledge, many things he brought up were successful through a court of law. 

• Like 20
  • Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Binned mine as well. Not happy that the Club had to supply our personal information to an unelected Board Member??? I am all for Democracy but only if they are legitimately elected members of the said Board. 

I don't particularly care for Peter's approach, although his position on governance and need for review is one that seems now to align with many on here given the shambles of past few weeks

But this rubbish with people complaining about Peter exercising his entitlements to communicate with members shows a complete lack of understanding of what you've signed up for... You are a Member of the Club, not a subscriber to a service.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

DeeZone, you do realise that Kate Roffey was only elected to the board last year for the first time. In fact for 10 or 12 years before 2021 no board member was elected. No elections were held in that period until Mr Lawrence nominated in 2021.

Any board members before that time have well and truly gone.

• Like 7
  • Shocked 1

I'm very middle of the road for all things on this matter. There has been good done, but also faults on both sides. I very much respect Peter's contribution to the club and dedication.

However, the timing and content of this email just further emphasizes he does not know how to 'read the room'. To send this right now, at a time most Melbourne supporters would be sick of being punched down on, and to include a 'call to action' which I'm sure he will use for his own purposes and potentially not just for the stated outcome; paints him in a poor light in regards to being a level headed leader.

Peter, if you happen to read Demonland, I very much agree with the idea of an external review and I have my own issues with the current board, but please, going forward, take some time to have a breath and consider things before taking such actions in the future. Timing and tact are important. We have work to do now, not more battles to create.

• Like 13

Can’t complain about the club not doing better or getting better, while also complaining about people who are trying to make that happen. 

You cannot review yourself. 

• Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3
  • Shocked 1

I would have thought 100% of Dees fans would fully support an independent review of the club. this is the only way to guarantee and end to the talk of our toxic culture and to ensure we actually have the right things in place. 

• Like 11
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 4

11 minutes ago, FreedFromDesire said:

I'm very middle of the road for all things on this matter. There has been good done, but also faults on both sides. I very much respect Peter's contribution to the club and dedication.

However, the timing and content of this email just further emphasizes he does not know how to 'read the room'. To send this right now, at a time most Melbourne supporters would be sick of being punched down on, and to include a 'call to action' which I'm sure he will use for his own purposes and potentially not just for the stated outcome; paints him in a poor light in regards to being a level headed leader.

Peter, if you happen to read Demonland, I very much agree with the idea of an external review and I have my own issues with the current board, but please, going forward, take some time to have a breath and consider things before taking such actions in the future. Timing and tact are important. We have work to do now, not more battles to create.

I think its the perfect time frankly. I had no time for board spills previously, but there has been a systematic gross failure within this club. There are countless isolated incidents, which i was prepared to consider them as isolated. But it has now gotten to the point where enough is enough; death by a thousand cuts, is still death. 

I would expect nothing short of an extensive external review. I will give the benefit of doubt to the current board to initiate this process. If it does not, then the board need to be challenged. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

“Independent review” is a myth.

Who does the review? Ex-players? do any exist that don’t have some sort of axe to grind about something? We let Gaz pick the coach once and that went well. Do we get ex-players from other clubs? Why do they give a [censored] if we get better or not? Corporates? What do they know about running a football club?

What’s the scope? Is it the board to the bootstudder? That could take years. Is it just the football department? Medical?

we didn’t drag ourselves out of the mud with independent reviews, the AFL put Jackson and Roos in charge and they ran the club as a proper club should run. Maybe we need change at the footy department but a review won’t tell you that. The board and CEO need to make their judgements and act on them, which we can’t do at the current time with all the noise going on as it would be an absolute feeding frenzy from the journos. 

No idea who Lawrence is apart from all this noise, I’m sure he means well but as per @FreedFromDesire he probably needs to pipe down for a bit - now’s not a good time to be agitating imo.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

I read the email and watched the little video from Deemocracy.

Unfortunately, Peter Lawrence doesn't have enough support to get things going in the direction he wants and has probably annoyed many Melbourne Demons members with his emails and flyers etc.

Nevertheless, I do agree that an independent/external review of the Melbourne Football Club is required. Particularly, in relation to the current fiasco that is going on with if Christian Petracca will stay a Demon or go to another Victorian Club. Losing Christian Petracca will be just as devastating as losing Ronald Dale Barassi at the end of 1964 in my opinion. It will definitely upset many young Demons supporters.

There is also the lingering frustration of how our issue of not having a proper Home Base (now expected to be at Caulfield Racecourse) has dragged on and on for decades now!

Whether or not an independent/external review actually happens at the Melbourne Football Club is another story altogether. It may open a very ugly can of worms....

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

“Independent review” is a myth.

Who does the review? Ex-players? do any exist that don’t have some sort of axe to grind about something? We let Gaz pick the coach once and that went well. Do we get ex-players from other clubs? Why do they give a [censored] if we get better or not? Corporates? What do they know about running a football club?

What’s the scope? Is it the board to the bootstudder? That could take years. Is it just the football department? Medical?

we didn’t drag ourselves out of the mud with independent reviews, the AFL put Jackson and Roos in charge and they ran the club as a proper club should run. Maybe we need change at the footy department but a review won’t tell you that. The board and CEO need to make their judgements and act on them, which we can’t do at the current time with all the noise going on as it would be an absolute feeding frenzy from the journos. 

No idea who Lawrence is apart from all this noise, I’m sure he means well but as per @FreedFromDesire he probably needs to pipe down for a bit - now’s not a good time to be agitating imo.

Peter Jackson being put in charge was essentially an independent review with the teeth to make the changes required.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, reynolds46 said:

he is pushing for an independent review of the club and I think a lot of people would agree but is this the best way to go about it? 

image.png.6ce9134404f19dbc4c692f745c1857ac.png

And how do you know a lot of people would agree with it, try doing a percentage of who has binned it already on here, I just sent him a reply telling him not to send me any more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's surprising how worked up people are getting over an email, as if they don't already receive hundreds of spam emails every day or week.

Let's put things in perspective: it's just an email, not someone showing up at your house and digging through your personal belongings.

You have options—delete the email if it's not your cup of tea, or take a moment to open it and read what a passionate Dees supporter has to say about the current state of our club.

Are you genuinely satisfied with how our club is being managed at the moment?

If your answer is "Yes," then I have to say—your indifference or lack of concern for the club's future is contributing to the very issues we're facing.

But if you think everything is fine and we don't need an external review, then let me tell you, you might as well prepare to see your favorite players wearing a [censored] Collingwood jumper.

That's the level of complacency you're endorsing.

• Like 14
  • Clap 4
  • Shocked 1

16 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I think its the perfect time frankly. I had no time for board spills previously, but there has been a systematic gross failure within this club. There are countless isolated incidents, which i was prepared to consider them as isolated. But it has now gotten to the point where enough is enough; death by a thousand cuts, is still death. 

I would expect nothing short of an extensive external review. I will give the benefit of doubt to the current board to initiate this process. If it does not, then the board need to be challenged. 

And what gross failings are those, please list them with facts not hearsay?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

I very very much agree with the idea of an external review, and I have a gut feel we may only be a matter of months away from a board challenge, my reference is only into the timing of Mr Lawrence sending this out right now. I would have been much more receptive to hearing from him if he had left a bit of breathing space for us members given what we've endured the last couple of weeks. To me that speaks to an inability to be measured and considered.

• Like 4