Welcome to Demonland: Pick #5

3 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Pace is a great treat, but IQ helps you find space and smart kicking will move the ball faster than run and carry always.

Sam Mitchell is a classic example. He had a very quick first step but generally lacked athleticism otherwise.

Amazingly smart and tough football player though.

• Love 1

8 hours ago, seventyfour said:

Sam Mitchell is a classic example. He had a very quick first step but generally lacked athleticism otherwise.

Amazingly smart and tough football player though.

Could also kick further on his non-preferred foot.

22 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Another watch today on some potential prospects.

Harvey Langford, Finn O'Sullivan and Jagga Smith could all fall to our pick potentially.  

A big watch on Harry Armstrong who has every chance of sneaking into top 5 calculations. 

I am amazed that North Melbourne aren't at least publicly linked to Armstrong, pairing him with Larkey sets up their key forwards long term

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ted Lasso said:

I am amazed that North Melbourne aren't at least publicly linked to Armstrong, pairing him with Larkey sets up their key forwards long term

seems they're getting darling as a short term option

they like combden as a tall forward as well, even tho they tried him back in 2024

19 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

They're probably a little torn as they have long been linked with Trainor. It'll be a tough decision for them. No doubt they'll request another priority pick so they can get both.

• Haha 2

Obviously we’ll have the choice of the consensus top 5 that slips through.

But I feel Lalor is very much a JT pick. Cricket commitments have stopped him from ever doing a proper AFL preseason, so scope for improvement is there (tick). Battled injuries so overcome some adversity (tick). Huge ability/talent (tick). Appears to have the right character/mindset (tick).

• Like 2

On 16/09/2024 at 08:29, Ted Lasso said:

Might be onto something there in such an “even” draft.

1 hour ago, Mach5 said:

Obviously we’ll have the choice of the consensus top 5 that slips through.

But I feel Lalor is very much a JT pick. Cricket commitments have stopped him from ever doing a proper AFL preseason, so scope for improvement is there (tick). Battled injuries so overcome some adversity (tick). Huge ability/talent (tick). Appears to have the right character/mindset (tick).

Would love Lalor, will be interesting to see who gets through. Feels like having a couple of interstate clubs picking inside 5 might throw the selections around a bit too.

There’s been a recent reluctance for some interstate clubs to pick Vic Metro kids due to increased risk of go home factor. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oxdee said:

Any chance lalor will still be around at pick5/6?

Could go anywhere from pick 1-8. We will likely land one of Langford, Lalor, or Draper. Any of those three could be an elite midfielder for us for years to come. 

There's suggestions Lalor could go pick 1, and while he's talented and could be an elite mid-forward type, he's less proven than others due to injury issues. He missed most of pre-season, start of year and end of year, and was outperformed by many of his peers too. Does that mean he's got higher ceiling if fit? Maybe. Maybe not. Pick 1 is probably too risky to draft him with though and will likely be used on someone more proven.

He'll likely get drafted just before our pick.

• Like 1

I'm a bit tired of reading about Zak Butters on this year's draft thread - not sure why some threaders feel compelled to go off-track.

But I certainly would be interested in what Demonlanders think we, or rather Jason Taylor, should do with pick 5 this year and I'll open it up by giving my 50 cents worth.

Last year I was somewhat bullish about Nate Caddy and I have a player in mind this year that I know will be howled down by some of you.

Before I get to him, let's make a few things clear, so you know the off-track spoilers when you appear.

The following three players - Jagga Smith, Harvey Langford and Sid Draper - will be gone by our pick and Levi Ashcroft is a Brisbane bound father-son.

At present it is unclear whom North will take with pick 2, they'd like to offload for two top 10 picks but Saints aren't interested, but I suspect they will be forced to consider upgrading tall forward Harry Armstrong or taking Finn O'Sullivan, both of whom impressed at the Combine.

I have six players in the mix for us, so please let me know which one you think we should or will take.

The six are:

Finn O'Sullivan - Injured a lot this season, he's a clever 182cm midfielder who is classy enough to play forward and, as was shown at draft combine, has huge leap potential, is quick and has a tank. He played a couple of games for Richmond VFL and didn't dominate like Jagga, but he was pretty handy. My view: He's got great athletic ability and he could be a Harry Sheezel type, but I'm not sure he's who we want. 

Harry Armstrong - Injured early in the year, he's a genuine key forward (195cm). He came back and kicked plenty of goals for Sandy, including four in the grand final and five in the U18 game against Vic Country. He's a thumping left-foot kick. My view: He's the best credentialled big forward, but I am not sure he's an aggressive enough pack mark. His did well in agility test, the same test that Nate Caddy fared well at last year, so he's worth considering.

Sam Lalor - A midfielder./forward with a touch of Dusty about him at 187cm, he's precise with his kicking and can mark well in packs - he kicked seven for Geelong Grammar one game. Got injured again late in year, but his highlights are mighty impressive. My view: As with O'Sullivan, he could be a superstar, but with no combine testing, I reckon he's a risk at such a high pick. But I'd take him in a flash if he fell to pick 13, assuming we get that pick.

Josh Smillie - Rated the likely No.1 pick early this season, he racked up big numbers in the midfield for Eastern and at times has a touch of Jason Horne-Francis about him, but he was unable to cope with the extra quality around him in the Vic Metro games. My view: He's 194cm and I can't help but think he's an early developer who has beaten up the little boys, but is now struggling a little at the higher level and I suspect he may lack a bit of pace. He didn't make the top 10 in any of the combine lists, so any info here on his actual athleticism would help me. I did like the way he looked as a long-kicking defender in one Vic Metro game - so he may still make it, but for me i wouldn't risk him at pick 5.

Murphy Reid - Only 180cm, but as with Gryan Miers, he makes up for his lack of size with smarts and a clever mix of chip kicks and overhead handballs. Missed the combine testing with an ankle injury, but I suspect he would have rated highly on athleticism. My view: If you like Hokball, then you have to rate this guy highly and I reckon JT will pull his name out at pick 6 (Ashcroft should go at pick 2). And as with Caleb Windsor over Nate Caddy, he'd be a very good choice, but not my choice I'm afraid.

Alix Tauru - The striking viking with Swedish background wasn't on anyone's lists until recently, so I decided to have a look at his tapes and see whether he was worthy.  He is 193cm with the biggest leap in the draft and had impressed as an intercept defender until Gippsland Power's coach decided to try him forward. His kicking isn't AFL level yet, but there's nothing wrong with it - he just looks like a shocked defender in front of goals at the moment. But he leads well (I suspect he's fairly quick) and he flies like Isaac Heeney. He also likes to tackle - which separates him from any Jack Watts comparisons. My view: He's the most exciting player in the draft and he fits our main requirements - being a tall who can assist JVR. And if he can't understand forward craft, then he's a sure thing down back as a long-term replacement for May or Lever. He may not be as impactful as Erling Harlaand, but if JT thinks his personality is OK, then he's the one I'd take at No.5 and he will bring the excitement we need.

Let me know your view - I know some DLers actually go to the CL games - and here's hoping we snaffle pick 13 as well to give JT more chances.

• Like 7

Pick 5 options … depending on who’s “available”.  Lalor, Langford, Smith, Draper, O’Sullivan… they are the most likely top 5. Only Ashcroft is off limits due to father son.  Dees will have to see who is available at “5” .  

I’d say our choice will be a midfielder.  Any of the 5 youngsters named would be an excellent addition.  Xavier Lindsay is the Smokey but likely goes pick 11-12.  
I cannot see us choosing a taller player like Armstrong, Tauru or Trainor at 5.  Imv Murphy Reid is now outside the top 10.  

Edited by spirit of norm smith
P
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deespicable said:

I'm a bit tired of reading about Zak Butters on this year's draft thread - not sure why some threaders feel compelled to go off-track.

But I certainly would be interested in what Demonlanders think we, or rather Jason Taylor, should do with pick 5 this year and I'll open it up by giving my 50 cents worth.

Last year I was somewhat bullish about Nate Caddy and I have a player in mind this year that I know will be howled down by some of you.

Before I get to him, let's make a few things clear, so you know the off-track spoilers when you appear.

The following three players - Jagga Smith, Harvey Langford and Sid Draper - will be gone by our pick and Levi Ashcroft is a Brisbane bound father-son.

At present it is unclear whom North will take with pick 2, they'd like to offload for two top 10 picks but Saints aren't interested, but I suspect they will be forced to consider upgrading tall forward Harry Armstrong or taking Finn O'Sullivan, both of whom impressed at the Combine.

I have six players in the mix for us, so please let me know which one you think we should or will take.

The six are:

Finn O'Sullivan - Injured a lot this season, he's a clever 182cm midfielder who is classy enough to play forward and, as was shown at draft combine, has huge leap potential, is quick and has a tank. He played a couple of games for Richmond VFL and didn't dominate like Jagga, but he was pretty handy. My view: He's got great athletic ability and he could be a Harry Sheezel type, but I'm not sure he's who we want. 

Harry Armstrong - Injured early in the year, he's a genuine key forward (195cm). He came back and kicked plenty of goals for Sandy, including four in the grand final and five in the U18 game against Vic Country. He's a thumping left-foot kick. My view: He's the best credentialled big forward, but I am not sure he's an aggressive enough pack mark. His did well in agility test, the same test that Nate Caddy fared well at last year, so he's worth considering.

Sam Lalor - A midfielder./forward with a touch of Dusty about him at 187cm, he's precise with his kicking and can mark well in packs - he kicked seven for Geelong Grammar one game. Got injured again late in year, but his highlights are mighty impressive. My view: As with O'Sullivan, he could be a superstar, but with no combine testing, I reckon he's a risk at such a high pick. But I'd take him in a flash if he fell to pick 13, assuming we get that pick.

Josh Smillie - Rated the likely No.1 pick early this season, he racked up big numbers in the midfield for Eastern and at times has a touch of Jason Horne-Francis about him, but he was unable to cope with the extra quality around him in the Vic Metro games. My view: He's 194cm and I can't help but think he's an early developer who has beaten up the little boys, but is now struggling a little at the higher level and I suspect he may lack a bit of pace. He didn't make the top 10 in any of the combine lists, so any info here on his actual athleticism would help me. I did like the way he looked as a long-kicking defender in one Vic Metro game - so he may still make it, but for me i wouldn't risk him at pick 5.

Murphy Reid - Only 180cm, but as with Gryan Miers, he makes up for his lack of size with smarts and a clever mix of chip kicks and overhead handballs. Missed the combine testing with an ankle injury, but I suspect he would have rated highly on athleticism. My view: If you like Hokball, then you have to rate this guy highly and I reckon JT will pull his name out at pick 6 (Ashcroft should go at pick 2). And as with Caleb Windsor over Nate Caddy, he'd be a very good choice, but not my choice I'm afraid.

Alix Tauru - The striking viking with Swedish background wasn't on anyone's lists until recently, so I decided to have a look at his tapes and see whether he was worthy.  He is 193cm with the biggest leap in the draft and had impressed as an intercept defender until Gippsland Power's coach decided to try him forward. His kicking isn't AFL level yet, but there's nothing wrong with it - he just looks like a shocked defender in front of goals at the moment. But he leads well (I suspect he's fairly quick) and he flies like Isaac Heeney. He also likes to tackle - which separates him from any Jack Watts comparisons. My view: He's the most exciting player in the draft and he fits our main requirements - being a tall who can assist JVR. And if he can't understand forward craft, then he's a sure thing down back as a long-term replacement for May or Lever. He may not be as impactful as Erling Harlaand, but if JT thinks his personality is OK, then he's the one I'd take at No.5 and he will bring the excitement we need.

Let me know your view - I know some DLers actually go to the CL games - and here's hoping we snaffle pick 13 as well to give JT more chances.

Nice post.

Lalor is being talked about as a potential landing spot for Richmond's first pick. If he fell to 5 I feel he would be be a player JT would like and we would call his name out. Tough, strong contested mid with good skills and some explosive athletic traits. I hope he falls to our pick.

My top selections for us would be

Lalor

O'Sullivan

Langford

Reid

Draper

Berry

Travaglia

Smith

Allen

Hynes

Lindsay

Smillie

I rate Armstrong extremely highly but not sure that's where we need to be spending our top 5 pick. He could pair up very well with JvR, but not sure our FD are writing of Jefferson just yet. Unless we see Jefferson as being capable of playing in the backline at AFL level and Armstrong head and shoulders above him, I can't see us selecting a 3rd key forward in 4 years given our midfield needs.

Tauru similarly is an exciting prospect. Ultra competative and can play just about anywhere.

This is going to be a really interesting draft with lots of surprises I feel. Kako being linked to us at 6 is one. For all we know players like Smith, Reid, Smillie may go top 5 or they may go late first round.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Nice post.

Lalor is being talked about as a potential landing spot for Richmond's first pick. If he fell to 5 I feel he would be be a player JT would like and we would call his name out. Tough, strong contested mid with good skills and some explosive athletic traits. I hope he falls to our pick.

My top selections for us would be

Lalor

O'Sullivan

Langford

Reid

Draper

Berry

Travaglia

Smith

Allen

Hynes

Lindsay

Smillie

I rate Armstrong extremely highly but not sure that's were we need to be spending our top 5 pick. He could pair up very well with JvR, but not sure our FD are writing of Jefferson just yet. Unless we see Jefferson as being capable of playing in the backline at AFL level and Armstrong head and shoulders above him, I can't see us selecting a 3rd key forward in 4 years given our midfield needs.

Tauru similarly is an exciting prospect. Ultra competative and can play just about anywhere.

This is going to be a really interesting draft with lots of surprises I feel. Kako being linked to us at 6 is one. For all we know players like Smith, Reid, Smillie may go top 5 or they may go late first round.

While  I commend your post and your knowledge I would shorten your list as prefer Lalor from 5 and Tauru if we get 13 or close ( could be 14-20 wh knows. ) 

Want to pick you up about Caddy and Windsor of last years draft. 

To be upset that we got The Duke is a bit churlish. Was a definite need for pace and skill last year and fills the bill. 250 games in the centre directing the ball forward will alter our ball movement with others with skill and pace supporting him. 

Not that Caddy is not a talent he looks a very good forward in the making but Caleb is a ready made classy mid with exquisite skills is tough pacy and has a footy mentality. 

While there are ample mids I think we should get a good kp player if available. 

Looks obvious you don’t think Jeffo will be a forward which I disagree. He has all the earmarks of a forward with a forwards brain and skills. He may not be a key position immediately but will end up there. Our forward line needs guys that can finish and MJ fits that bill. 

But credit on the draft chances  available let’s hope we pick up two three draft winners and some supporting f/s or nga backups. Oh and surprise with a B+ or above trade pick. 

28 minutes ago, 58er said:

While  I commend your post and your knowledge I would shorten your list as prefer Lalor from 5 and Tauru if we get 13 or close ( could be 14-20 wh knows. ) 

Want to pick you up about Caddy and Windsor of last years draft. 

To be upset that we got The Duke is a bit churlish. Was a definite need for pace and skill last year and fills the bill. 250 games in the centre directing the ball forward will alter our ball movement with others with skill and pace supporting him. 

Not that Caddy is not a talent he looks a very good forward in the making but Caleb is a ready made classy mid with exquisite skills is tough pacy and has a footy mentality. 

While there are ample mids I think we should get a good kp player if available. 

Looks obvious you don’t think Jeffo will be a forward which I disagree. He has all the earmarks of a forward with a forwards brain and skills. He may not be a key position immediately but will end up there. Our forward line needs guys that can finish and MJ fits that bill. 

But credit on the draft chances  available let’s hope we pick up two three draft winners and some supporting f/s or nga backups. Oh and surprise with a B+ or above trade pick. 

Quoted the wrong person?

Edited by Nascent

Can't wait for JT to take someone not even in the conversation like Oliver and Windsor.

A decade ago Demonland would go into meltdown but now everyone will just pitty the other clubs that had picks before us and missed

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

Can't wait for JT to take someone not even in the conversation like Oliver and Windsor.

A decade ago Demonland would go into meltdown but now everyone will just pitty the other clubs that had picks before us and missed

Kako has already been the name floated, Essendon would match the bid though

49 minutes ago, adonski said:

Kako has already been the name floated, Essendon would match the bid though

4d chess time. We threaten to pick kako, then offer essendon our f1 with 40 and 53 (to help them match a bid) for pick 9.

Alternatively, we trade 5 and 45 for 9, 31 and f1.

Trade one of our f1st for freos pick 11.

End up with 9, 11, f1 (ours or bombers) and 28, 31 and 40 to try and upgrade further.

Yes I'm day 1 trade period bored.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Could go anywhere from pick 1-8. We will likely land one of Langford, Lalor, or Draper. Any of those three could be an elite midfielder for us for years to come. 

There's suggestions Lalor could go pick 1, and while he's talented and could be an elite mid-forward type, he's less proven than others due to injury issues. He missed most of pre-season, start of year and end of year, and was outperformed by many of his peers too. Does that mean he's got higher ceiling if fit? Maybe. Maybe not. Pick 1 is probably too risky to draft him with though and will likely be used on someone more proven.

He'll likely get drafted just before our pick.

Does that sound similar to a player like Brodie Kemp's backstory? He was touted as a top 10 pick, with his own post on demonland  (13 pages) but due to injury in his draft year, slid to Carltons pick 17.  Thankfully we took Pickett!

I wonder if we would have taken him instead of Rivers if he was still available? Also Thankfully he wasn't! Maybe a cautionary tale?

Edited by John Demonic

On 05/09/2024 at 15:08, 58er said:

We are not in The business of trading stocks and shares. We are dealing with real live human beings and 18 yo bodies and  Minds with special skills.

When you get the chance to get a star with no 5 pick take it.

By delaying it you are delaying your potential on your list and with the addition of future picks can be two years off the pace. We have nailed our Top 10 or near and under picks for nearly a decade viz. Trac Gus Clarry Jacko Kossie the Duke. Only real failure was the Weid. 

We need the best mid available (not putting our pick out waiting for potential)  strike with the golden opportunity and enjoy the ride and rewards. 

Do it today not tomorrow who knows what will be there available in the future.

Spot on 58er

• Like 1