Christian Petracca

19 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Amidst this whole saga...

@WalkingCivilWar thinking of the faithful in the Demon Army. Hope they are coping well.

Did you guys had a big head for Petracca?

If all these rumours are true my question would be is there a head big enough ?  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 8

A lot is made of Petracca asking for a 7 year deal.  It was a typical 5-7 year contract for our better players:  Salem, Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver.  

They were all signed coming into FA and were related to terms ($/years) other clubs would offer. 

I don't recall anyone holding a gun to Lamb's or Richardson's heads to sign any of those deals.  Realistically all hell would have broken loose if any of them went elsewhere as FA's and we received an AFL comp pick in the mid to high teens.

I get people are frustrated with the current uncertainty but some circumspection when hyperbole is generated by the unthinking, click bait motivated media, would be handy on here. 

I'm not saying he doesn't have an obligation to fulfill his contract just that the 7 years wasn't unusual for us or the industry for those players.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

i think the "considered it before" refers to connors group considering it for paddy ryder getting out of contract at essendrug. nothing to do with petracca

Correct. 
How can anyone compare what happened to Essendon players to what Trac went thru is beyond me. 

Nobody forcibly dragged him back on the field. The first post he made on social media was to say he wanted to return to the field. That post was swiftly removed, assuming by the person controlling his social media account.

Since then the AFL has cleared us of any wrong doing. He is not the first nor last player to return to the field with a serious injury. Hell he’s not even the first player to have a spleen injury go undiagnosed. 
As if the AFL is going to let one player unravel their entire medical protocol, especially while in the midst of concussion litigation!

He needs to take a long walk and chill out. This is a complete meltdown, which could be explained by his trauma response. However it gives way too much leeway to the snakes working behind the scenes to manipulate him to their best interest, and not his!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, demoniac said:

The Pies would still need to fit #BlandPetracca's contract in their salary cap. 

If we’re going to make #BlandPetracca a thing and my social media career is taking off, I don’t think Demonland is the forum for me anymore. 

Perhaps I’d like to go to a bigger forum, where I can grow my audience and fulfill my lifelong dream of making inspiring egg cooking videos sponsored by the Australian Egg Association. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

What do you all think of this hypothetical? 

Gives us 5,6,7 & 13 in a strong draft pool.

Pick 25 is what I assume we get for ANB

There would be a bunch of later pick swap attached to this too Id imagine.  

Trade Dees.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thinking 3

10 minutes ago, Deez Man said:

I think we need all the information first, I struggle to believe this is a trac issue and not an mfc issue.

Nobody is shying away from the fact that we have issues that need to be resolved in every level of our club’s management. 

But no other player has acted this way against the club, in fact, who is the last big name who has requested a trade mid contract from our club? (ANB doesn’t count as he’s leaving for family reasons). 

This public relations stunt is on Trac and his personal team. It is not on the club. In fact, our club has been resolute in our desire to keep him and never denied that they want to address his concerns. We are not the ones burning him in the media. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, Brenno said:

Trade Dees.PNG

The way we are travelling atm our F1 will be pick 1 so its a no from me 

I do not pretend to be qualified to put this scenario out there as being legally feasible, but I have been pondering whether Trac does have a legal option to force a release from his current contract.

Do they have a case to prosecute, which claims that the MFC failed in its duty of a care, by allowing him to return to the field, after sustaining his serious injury?  If so, could they then make out a case that in failing in its duty of care, the MFC have rendered the current contract as null and void, due to that conduct?

If so, Trac could be released from his current contract, be fully paid out and be free to go wherever he wants, without the club being compensated with trade/draft picks.

This would be my worst nightmare and I hope this scenario has no legal merit, but I am left to wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Apart from the need to recover both physically & mentally from the horrific injuries he incured, Petracca is going to have to deal with being targeted on the field

Physically & verbally, opposition players are going to go after him.  Don't forget that knee from Moore came from the side and slightly in front

So if he goes up for a mark playing in front opposition players will go after an unprotected area (ribs)

That's going to happen again apart from all the tackling and knocks that can occur.  There's still a lot of congestion in the sport so gang tackling a player is still quite common (and legal)

They're going to make him earn it and it could easily wear him down and make him take the odd short step (that became a trait of Dustin Martin after his kidney injury)

It's not like local sport where the opposition might be completely unaware of a players injury history

This is the AFL where there's nowhere to hide

1 minute ago, Jaded No More said:

Nobody is shying away from the fact that we have issues that need to be resolved in every level of our club’s management. 

But no other player has acted this way against the club, in fact, who is the last big name who has requested a trade mid contract from our club? (ANB doesn’t count as he’s leaving for family reasons). 

This public relations stunt is on Trac and his personal team. It is not on the club. In fact, our club has been resolute in our desire to keep him and never denied that they want to address his concerns. We have not have a public meltdown against him. 

Spot on. There are clearly issues inside the club, even if you're just judging us on football performance and lack of a home base (clearly more than that of course with the culture talk), but it's a lock that it's not the club that has made this situation public and messy. It's pretty incredible really. I can't remember a player turning supporter sentiment against themselves as quickly as Christian has in the last 2 weeks. It's a case study in horrendous brand management, ironically.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Bloos will part ways with any of Wiliams, Martin, Cerra if they need to

Martin won't be at Parc de Princes next year. Very talented, can make a real impact when he plays, just out injured too much whilst being on a hefty contract. Recent draftee, Ashton Moir, with 2 classy goals as a sub in the last fortnight will take his role. Moir was very smart drafting by the Blues (pick 29 but at one stage was touted as a potential top 3 pick but lengthy injury). Picked up a potential star relatively cheaply. The kid is genuinely ambidextrous (only 1% of the population is) and has natural ability and instinct. Needs to build his tank with a big pre-season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has it possibly got to the point, already, that Tracc remaining at Melbourne might have reached "untenable" ?? 

I'm just wondering if already past point of return 🤔 

Winning teams rely on synergy..... all folk going the same way... the sum greater than the parts etc.  Even the slightest disharmonies bring that undone. I'm pretty sure some of our lacklustre efforts this year had more sinister reasons than just 'form'

Going to be very  interesting how this all plays out. Ramifications are immense.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I don't think we are blaming others in this immediate circle. But questioning if those around him are providing ill advice.

They well might be.

But tracc is a 29 year old adult, not some naive draftee fresh out of high school.

Let's not infantalise him.

If he acts on bad advice that's on him, not the people giving him the advice.

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

I do not pretend to be qualified to put this scenario out there as being legally feasible, but I have been pondering whether Trac does have a legal option to force a release from his current contract.

Do they have a case to prosecute, which claims that the MFC failed in its duty of a care, by allowing him to return to the field, after sustaining his serious injury?  If so, could they then make out a case that in failing in its duty of care, the MFC have rendered the current contract as null and void, due to that conduct?

If so, Trac could be released from his current contract, be fully paid out and be free to go wherever he wants, without the club being compensated with trade/draft picks.

This would be my worst nightmare and I hope this scenario has no legal merit, but I am left to wonder.

They'd have a hard time proving that.  Given the Alfred Hospital didn't detect the spleen injury until 3 am, after several hours and scans, how was the club supposed to detect it, with limited resources available to them?  There have been several cases where players continued to play with broken ribs.  Mason Cox played out the game last year, it wasn't until the next day that his spleen tear was detected, after he'd lost 4/5 of his blood.  Matthew Lloyd's spleen wasn't detected for 3 days, again after he'd lost a significant amount of blood.  Trac was in the ambulance before the game ended.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Has it possibly got to the point, already, that Tracc remaining at Melbourne might have reached "untenable" ?? 

I'm just wondering if already past point of return 🤔 

Winning teams rely on synergy..... all folk going the same way... the sum greater than the parts etc.  Even the slightest disharmonies bring that undone. I'm pretty sure some of our lacklustre efforts this year had more sinister reasons than just 'form'

Going to be very  interesting how this all plays out. Ramifications are immense.

Apparently he was out yesterday with the boys having drinks.

How much has changed in the last 24 hours is anyone's guess.

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

The curiosity for me was that post that Tracc put up ( then removed ).  

Nothing is ever really erased ;) Just hypothetically if he usurped the recommendation to stay off... well...  

A lot to play out in all of this fiasco.

At some point gloves come off ( if not quietly already )

1 minute ago, binman said:

They well might be.

But tracc is a 29 year old adult, not some naive draftee fresh out of high school.

Let's not infantalise him.

If he acts on bad advice that's on him, not the people giving him the advice.

Correct, and was widely considered a future captain, so the maturity piece should be a non-issue.

However, we do know him to be a very very impulsive character, and he has been through a traumatic experience that by all accounts would be impacting his decision making. Combine those factors with what seems to be mixed messages from his different areas of management and there's perhaps an element of someone vulnerable being pulled in different directions.

Doesn't excuse him, at all, but you could see how all that could add up to a messy situation where he's not able to back down or find a way to reduce the temperature given who he is as a person and what his circumstances are. Knowing what we do of him, it's almost impossible to see a situation where he manages to reconcile everything now. I find it all really sad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

That  would change the game forever. The threshold for a club doctor ordering a player to not return to the game after an on field collision would be much much lower. 

The AFL would very much like to avoid it methinks. 

15 minutes ago, I'va Worn Smith said:

My apologies as I don't have the link or interview handy (can someone find it?), but I seem to recall not long after the game Laura Kane was on SEN and was asked about the Petracca injury and the handling of it and clarified that there's an independent AFL doctor on the team benches and they had ticked off everything around the handling of it on the day in terms of protocols etc. Does anyone else remember something along those lines?

I would think that would make it very embarrassing for the AFL to then turn around and allow him to tear up his contract due to mismanagement under their own protocols.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Brenno said:

Trade Dees.PNG

I think you’re overvaluing Cerra in that scenario. He isn’t worth a first round pick.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, binman said:

The way we have managed this?

C'mon, that's bollocks.

I have been critical of various aspects of the club's management for a long time.

But in particular i have been strident in my criticism of all our comms (in its totality, ie fan focused, social media, website, crisis management, engagement, injury updates etc).

And I have little doubt poor comms is a factor in the tracc's evident anger. 

And I have a great deal of sympathy for tracc in terms of the trauma he has experienced from a near death, life changing experience.

But what is happening right now is almost all on tracc.

He is an adult who signed a muti million long term contract just three years ago.

And now he wants out of that contract, yet is trying to achieve that aim in an incredibly immature, unprofessional way.

I mean, did he even speak with another club to test the waters before running down the club to a peanut luke Morris?

I had thought it was likely his manager that backgrounded Morris.

I no longer think that because any such manager would never work in the business again if he leaked to the media his player wanted out without a landing place.

I mean c'mon.

So that means tracc is driving what could only charitably called a strategy (by the by, it's pathetic to blame anyone else in his orbit, tracc is an adult).

Nuclear option? Breach of contract?

Ridiculous.

I'm not suggesting the dees don't have issue to work through, but when the dust settles it will be tracc whose reputation is damaged.

Sorry when I said "the way we've managed this" I was talking about the environment that's been created at the club and the issues which have been left to fester (particularly those which came to a head last off season) for a number of years. I wasn't talking about the current Petracca situation specifically.

I agree that the club has done OK with how they're managing this extremely difficult falling out with their star player, I don't think it's been perfect but it hasn't been terrible either.

My bad for not being clear on what I was talking about.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 3