POSTGAME: Rd 19 vs Fremantle

2 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I understand it. Just don't get how it makes joy with that type of perspective. 

Focusing on the negative is a protective behaviour, so you don't do it again. Though you will all be back again for more of it.

Sadistic or change the behaviour. Repeating the way is not in your best interest.

The game of AFL/VFL football exists because of the passion people have for their clubs. Without it, the game wouldn’t exists and we’d be doing something else on our weekends in winter.

It is completely understandable supporters being disappointed with a performance like that. Not to be, would IMO, be very strange. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

unfortunately, flagmantle are really good

bloods, bears, bluebaggers, flagmantle, gw$ all look a step up on the next best, which i'd say is probably footscray and dingley

god it's DISGUSTING how good the hawks are again

srsly...just eff off ya [censored]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Don't let anyone tell you the ruck contest is overrated. Darcy was brilliant, gave his team first use of the ball and tapped it to space, allowing his mids to run onto the ball. The tapouts and clearances were a mauling, and our makeshift ruck combo was out of their depth.

I was disappointed that we couldn't cover their overlap run and they constantly switch to the middle of the ground to a lone player and then the run starts. They scored 10 goals starting from their half back line. Our half forwards were pantsed and didn't apply enough pressure or chasing.

I thought McVee was sensational, May was outstanding and poor Lever had probably his worst game I can remember but had his left shoulder heavily bandaged after quarter time so unsure if he was injured.

Against their talls we needed extra marking power. Tuner was monstered and Petty/JVR rucking meant we were undermanned up from. Max's influence is immeasurable as he marks down back up forward and contests. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Petty re-signing is a game changer.

Now for next year and the end of season draft pick.

Play Jefferson for 2-3 games.

Petty down back. Manage May (we need him for 25/26)

Let's face it this season is over from a GF perspective and probably was when we lost to West Coast

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

Very disappointing performance by the whole team. So many poor players today - the gulf between our best and our worst is huge!

One of my favourites is Christian Salem - invisible today. Was he playing a role or is there something wrong? 

• Like 4

The standout was the lack of intensity and effort. It was almost team-wide, but Lever, Kossie and Fritsch were on another planet. Mentally unfocused, almost vague, so much jogging, no defensive positioning, watching the play without impacting or tackling, etc... 

But what got under my nose was we made little response to Freo's spread from stoppages. I could not count the amount of times they handballed forward away from a stoppage, outnumbering us 5-2, with little intensity or response from the players. And yet somehow, when they went into F50, they had spare players over the back. This can only be defensive intent and today, we had little. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

In a chat with a fellow MFC supporter mid-week I said that if we played like we did against the Bombers that I thought we'd still lose by 10-40 points.  Astonished to only lose by 50 playing like we did.

• Haha 1

Their game plan is our kryptonite and they know how to disarm our strengths. Remember, Longmuir was a Buckley assistant who had a very good record against Goodwin. Buckley even sat in their coaches box last year at the MCG where we lost.

They have excellent contested midfielders who know that we swarm at the contest and don’t keep separation. With Oliver no where near it, Rivers beaten, Sparrow just a shadow, it was too much for Viney. I can’t see us beating this Freo side for a number of years with that midfield. Lever was horrible down back. 

On a positive, I thought Petty was very good around the ground and our best tall forward of the ball. That was probably his second best rated game.

This time I think we will respond though and beat GWS.

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 2

56 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Sure, but when he’s refusing to chase or tackle that’s not age that’s just poor effort. 
I will say that he didn’t play much on ball today, and we didn’t get a lot of ball inside 50, but he had 6 touches and 3 clangers today.

Chandler who every man and his dog is yelling to get rid of, has played half the number of games and had 10 touches and kicked 2 from the same low number of forward 50 entries. 

Chandler actually applied some pressure at the fall of the ball and chased. Kossie inside 50 constantly waltzed around, stuck 1 arm in a token effort and didn’t chase. Got free on centre wing once with Turner 1 v 1  in our forward 50. Kossie doesn’t even run hard to take grass and draw the defender.,He just kicks it to space leaving Turner to take on his opponent. That was him today too hard let someone else do the work 

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Freo were very good!

We were very very pizz poor !!

Umpiring was even more pizz poor !!!

And I reckon Uncle was very peeezed by the end of this debacle!!?😱😁🤩😎

Edited by picket fence
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Petty re-signing is a game changer.

Now for next year and the end of season draft pick.

Play Jefferson for 2-3 games.

Petty down back. Manage May (we need him for 25/26)

Let's face it this season is over from a GF perspective and probably was when we lost to West Coast

Prepare the last dance for Max, May, TMac?, Melksham? 

We got a good foundation with our young guns, just need to be smart at trades, get a couple of important players to revamp our list.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

As if Fullarton would have made a 10 goal difference. Even Gawn wouldn’t have made that much of a difference and he’s the best ruckman this decade. 

He may not have made a 10 goal difference but he would have competed and allowed out mids a chance to win at least some clearances. This would have then allowed our defence to have a breath in between the ball being hammered down their throats and would've given our forwards an opportunity to do something with the footy. We were a chance to be within 3 goals at half time but Kolt got caught holding the ball streaming forward and then Walters kicked a goal on the siren making it a 5 goal difference. Having an actual ruckman competing in the middle may have given us an opportunity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

Its like a poker game where we held a jack five and kept aggressively betting and thought nah we'll catch the flop, river or the turn.  It's just bad coaching plain and simple.   

You have to know your team and play the odds. During the week I wanted to play negative, defensive football with keepings off to frustrate the heck out of them. I wanted to watch the worst football game ever and if we lost we lost by 4 goals. So be it.   Instead we rolled the dice and got what exactly what was predictable without ur two best players, a ruck man and half a dozen kids under 23.  It's unrealistic to think they bring intense pressure and skills every week.  It's not 2021.  Freo are very good.

Goodwin is a great strategic coach, the framework is elite. But he is a poor tactician.  You can be both.  

Next week is the week to bring the best against the Giants. At home against a low inside 50s team.  Bring pressure and we are a chance to claw back some needed percentage. 

Edited by Jjrogan
  • Like 3
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He may not have made a 10 goal difference but he would have competed

I think that’s the problem, I don’t think he would have competed any better than Petty or Roo and he can’t take a contested mark making him a liability. 

Goodwin said post game that there is nobody on our list who could win ruck contests against Darcy and Jackson except Gawn.
If that’s not the worst vote of confidence for Fullerton you’ve ever heard, I don’t know what is. 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Might wanna give DL a miss then Kev

It's a forum where you're gonna see praise and criticism as a constant so no one is gonna ease up either way just because it's upsetting you or you don't get the reasoning.

I am not upset.

Merely trying to change a few of the perspectives. Those wallowing could be happier with a change in their thoughts.

I like the moments I live. To win or lose is not so important to me, the journey is my joy. Success is overated. 

If only the praise would be expressed more. The criticism always seem to be in greater numbers. Reading the venom is not much fun, and shows a lack of self understanding by the authors.

You're the second person to say I shouldn't post.

What is that about?

Good luck group thinkers. A dissenting voice to the "realists" and "venters" should not heard! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He may not have made a 10 goal difference but he would have competed and allowed out mids a chance to win at least some clearances. This would have then allowed our defence to have a breath in between the ball being hammered down their throats and would've given our forwards an opportunity to do something with the footy. We were a chance to be within 3 goals at half time but Kolt got caught holding the ball streaming forward and then Walters kicked a goal on the siren making it a 5 goal difference. Having an actual ruckman competing in the middle may have given us an opportunity.

Spot on.

• Like 1

Melbourne embarrased themselves in the first half. Why get off the plane if you play like that.

• Like 4
  • Shocked 1

21 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Their game plan is our kryptonite and they know how to disarm our strengths. Remember, Longmuir was a Buckley assistant who had a very good record against Goodwin. Buckley even sat in their coaches box last year at the MCG where we lost.

They have excellent contested midfielders who know that we swarm at the contest and don’t keep separation. With Oliver no where near it, Rivers beaten, Sparrow just a shadow, it was too much for Viney. I can’t see us beating this Freo side for a number of years with that midfield. Lever was horrible down back. 

On a positive, I thought Petty was very good around the ground and our best tall forward of the ball. That was probably his second best rated game.

This time I think we will respond though and beat GWS.

Thanks - glad someone else liked H.Petty’s game

• Like 4

For all the Doomsayers:

Hitouts 47-9 their way. Always going to happen,because our best CHF got monstered in the Ruck, but tried all day and plays with heart & courage (a 2020's version of Jonathan Brown) . He is learning all the time.

Petty : Our new recruit . 15 Kicks, 6 marks 5 tackles & 6 ho. Cannot doubt his performance today (but I must admit we would choose Jackson before him as a second ruckman). We (outsiders) probably do not realise the impact (in confidence in his body) plays. Today you could feel he is gaining confidence to attack the aerial stuff.

Easy to be critical of our "defence" , but a midfield (With their tails up and playing to a winning ruck ). Even a Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney at their finest would have had their hands full today without a "full time ruckman" .    

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

42 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

It is completely understandable supporters being disappointed with a performance like that. Not to be, would IMO, be very strange

I may be strange, it is only a footy game. Doesn't mean I am not passionate about MFC and AFL. I enjoy the game and have for decades. I am not so tribal or divisive, and can find my life not being turned upside down because of a loss. I enjoy a win and take a loss in a sportsmanship way. I get this from participating in competitions and not the media that thrives on us having divisions.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, kev martin said:

You're the second person to say I shouldn't post.

What is that about?

Good luck group thinkers. A dissenting voice to the "realists" and "venters" should not heard! 

That's not what i said.  Taking it the wrong way.

I said you 'might want to give DL a miss' if you think you are going to not see a myriad of positive and negative posts.

It's part of the way a forum is.

Whether you continue to read / contribute or not is up to you.

The point i was making is it aint going to change just because whatever is said fits in or doesn't wIth your own POV.

Same applies to all on here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1