Oliver Trade Rumours

10 hours ago, Oxdee said:

Getting a late teens pick and paying a third of his salary would be a bonkers move 

Yep absolutely stupid, brainless and absurd, and so Melbourne, watch this space, Adelaide or Puddy Tatts hnm interesting!!

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

Yep absolutely stupid, brainless and absurd, and so Melbourne, watch this space, Adelaide or Puddy Tatts hnm interesting!!

Well said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Last year Clarrie sulked a bit about not being allowed to play, argued with Selwyn, left hospital when he shouldn't etc. 

Later Pert said in his Press release that Clarrie had to learn to respect club staff and teammates.  If he is sulking about starting on the bench and not liking his role that is neither showing respect for staff nor a team first attitude. 

Having said that I'm not going to hold any sulking' against him as he is a proud person and it could easily be the side effects of the ADHD medication. 

Is there any evidence he is upset about the role or is it just an easy line for media to make up?

The evidence I have is that he spent most of the first quarter on the bench last week, came on and finished strongly and left the ground arm in arm with Goodwin didn't he?

He looks happier to me than he has for a long time. I know that's an average way to judge these things, and sure he might be traded, but it currently seems pretty baseless. Just media stoking fire for clicks.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

18 minutes ago, deanox said:

Is there any evidence he is upset about the role or is it just an easy line for media to make up?

The evidence I have is that he spent most of the first quarter on the bench last week, came on and finished strongly and left the ground arm in arm with Goodwin didn't he?

He looks happier to me than he has for a long time. I know that's an average way to judge these things, and sure he might be traded, but it currently seems pretty baseless. Just media stoking fire for clicks.

I'm trying not to read too much into what we see/hear, be it +/-, in the media.  We have no way of knowing what is happening inside the club.  I just hope all goes well now and in the future for him and the club.  I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

I've got [censored]-all interest in us paying half a million a year for Oliver to tear it up for another team for the next 5 years. Yes injury and his off field issues stuffed the latter half of last year and much of his pre season, but he's seemed in a much better place this season. I reckon we'd be crazy not to give him the chance to get a full preseason under him and show his wares next year before giving trades a consideration.

Edited by gs77
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Colm said:

Don’t want Clarry to go and don’t think a move would be good for him. I haven’t bothered with this thread too much as Cornes comments that were the starting point for it were rubbish. Given up Clarry AND a good pick is just nuts. 

But weather we like it or not( and I don’t) this is starting to get a bit of substance to it with the Crows list manager more or less saying they were interested in Clarry and their first round pick reportedly up for grabs.

We also know that despite what the majority of fans seem to think about trading him it was the club who first put it out there last year that we were open to trading him.  

What does the weather have to do with it ?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Having said that I'm not going to hold any sulking' against him as he is a proud person and it could easily be the side effects of the ADHD medication. 

I wish sulking was the side effect of ADHD medication for me. Instead, every time I fart, I wee a bit.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Haha 13
  • Shocked 1

Is this the same Sam Maclure who started the Clarrie going to Carlton story years ago?? If so ask him why he is always targeting Clayton with his big IF rumours.

Is it a coincidence that all the articles about players leaving have started bobbing up as the regular season draws to a close? IMO too many journos are writing "what if" pieces. They survive on creating clickbait and sensationalism hoping to out scoop each other.

If there is any truth to these stories? With a little patience, all will be revealed. Note Petty signing on has shut down all the Adelaide talk maybe they want to create some chaos at Melbourne.

Has anyone fact-checked Maclure, Morris or any of the scoop breakers to see their hit rate and how many predictions they get right and for that matter who cares!

• Like 4

Why would you trade a top 5 player during their poorest season to date?

It's like buying shares at the top price and selling when they crash.

At worse Clarry never returns to the same player, and we trade him at the end of 2025 after a full pre-season.

At best he returns to his previous form and we don't make fools of ourselves trading out a top 5 player after ONE mediocre season.

Even if you are a cut throat fans with no attachment to players, it makes no sense to get rid of Clarry now when his value has never been lower. 

The chances of his playing worse next year after a good off-season, are slim to none. 

• Like 14
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

37 minutes ago, Older demon said:

Is this the same Sam Maclure who started the Clarrie going to Carlton story years ago?? If so ask him why he is always targeting Clayton with his big IF rumours.

Is it a coincidence that all the articles about players leaving have started bobbing up as the regular season draws to a close? IMO too many journos are writing "what if" pieces. They survive on creating clickbait and sensationalism hoping to out scoop each other.

If there is any truth to these stories? With a little patience, all will be revealed. Note Petty signing on has shut down all the Adelaide talk maybe they want to create some chaos at Melbourne.

Has anyone fact-checked Maclure, Morris or any of the scoop breakers to see their hit rate and how many predictions they get right and for that matter who cares!

Hahah he's a die hard Blues fan and his bias prevented him from seeing what was obvious to most, that Clarry was leveraging Carlton interest to get his 7 year deal, which he did, and it worked. 

• Like 3

The media are all over it because it's such easy clickbait....period. It's got nothing to do with bashing Melbourne, remember when DeGoey was the story? It's all about revenue.

I can't see Oliver being traded on form if he's buying into the 'behaviour' parameters the club set for him,  as others have said you don't sell at the bottom unless you have no alternative.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Older demon said:

It's called DHEAD syndrome, commonplace amongst the media.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Older demon said:

With a little patience, all will be revealed.

I take that little cryptic throw-away line as a positive. 😊

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The club has stated for years they will only trade players in or out if it has the potential to make our team better or the player cannot be placated to stay. 

Ridiculous of the media to think that Clarrie can't get back to his best form, of course he can, and they know that. But they also know controversy creates cash. 

IMV, they only way Clarrie isn't at the Dees next year is 

1. Clarrie asks/demands to be traded, and/or; 
  2. Moving Clarrie allows us to obtain another player or 2 to (potentially) make us better. No way he get's traded as a cash dump. 
  • Like 3

Who will pay him a million a season on his current form

No he will stay!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

You can't dismiss this story just because you don't like what it's saying.  It's quite possible that he's still disgruntled and may want a fresh start at another club.

He was never the disgruntled one. It was always the club who was unhappy with him and his behaviour.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Last year Clarrie sulked a bit about not being allowed to play, argued with Selwyn, left hospital when he shouldn't etc. 

Later Pert said in his Press release that Clarrie had to learn to respect club staff and teammates.  If he is sulking about starting on the bench and not liking his role that is neither showing respect for staff nor a team first attitude. 

Brilliantly said.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

He was never the disgruntled one. It was always the club who was unhappy with him and his behaviour.

But he was though Jaded..

He was disgruntled last year at the way he felt the club had managed his hamst injury even though Clayton went against Selwyn and the rehabilitations instructions and tried to push through/manage his injury like a pro.

The club had to sit down with his management and family at the end of last year to soothe tensions over and implement support plan in place after all the [censored] hit the fan.

The clubs support around him has been first class, but there comes a time where  Clayton needs to also put his hand up and take some responsibility for his own actions. He's a grown adult.

The Clayon Oliver story has carried noise since October last year and could continue to do so for the rest of his career. With that comes distraction and I'm not entirely sure this is something that club will want lingering on for years in the background. 

Maybe, just maybe that both Oliver and the club come to a mutual agreement at the end of the year that perhaps a fresh start at a completely new environment would benefit both parties moving forward. Goodwin has proven to make tough decisions on players who are much loved by the players and fans (See Jack Watts).

Sometimes being in an organisation for so long can simply burn you out hearing the same voices all the time and it can then become a grind. Maybe this is now how he feels.

Why change could benefit both parties is one, for Clayton's mental health perspective and a new lease in life, and two the club can simply move forward and start focusing in regenerating the list with fresh talent through the door.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6

Following on from @dazzledavey36, I can easily see a situation where the current version of Clarry is the best version, from a mental/personal wellbeing perspective, and that takes priority over his former manic preparation and ball winning ability.

If Clayton the person had to devote a lot of time/energy to being the best version of himself, footy could easily fall down the pecking order. After all, it still comes pretty easy to him so all the extra 1% things he used to do don’t happen anymore.

This situation would really test the clubs strength due to the conflict of enormous salary versus club led mantra that people/family come first.

Regardless of the emotion attached, it’s still business and very cut throat at that

22 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But he was though Jaded..

He was disgruntled last year at the way he felt the club had managed his hamst injury even though Clayton went against Selwyn and the rehabilitations instructions and tried to push through/manage his injury like a pro.

The club had to sit down with his management and family at the end of last year to soothe tensions over and implement support plan in place after all the [censored] hit the fan.

The clubs support around him has been first class, but there comes a time where  Clayton needs to also put his hand up and take some responsibility for his own actions. He's a grown adult.

The Clayon Oliver story has carried noise since October last year and could continue to do so for the rest of his career. With that comes distraction and I'm not entirely sure this is something that club will want lingering on for years in the background. 

Maybe, just maybe that both Oliver and the club come to a mutual agreement at the end of the year that perhaps a fresh start at a completely new environment would benefit both parties moving forward. Goodwin has proven to make tough decisions on players who are much lived by the players and fans (See Jack Watts).

Sometimes being in an organisation for so long can simply burn you out hearing the same voices all the time and it can then become a grind. Maybe this is now how he feels.

Why change could benefit both parties is one, for Clayton's mental health perspective and a new lease in life, and two the club can simply move forward and start focusing in regenerating the list with fresh talent through the door.

I've very recently come around to this way of thinking, i used to think that the club would basically implode if Jesse Hogan left, and we turned his departure into Steven May and a premiership, i have no doubt the club will be okay if Clarry moves on, though i'd be dissapointing to see a talent like that not go on to become an all time great demon. 

I just hope if as you suggest it'd decided that a mutual parting of ways is the best thing, the trade outcome is a positive one for the MFC, for example if he was going to the Crows, their pick 5 would be the center piece of that trade and they'd take on his contract in full. 

Given the situation with Angus Brayshaw and us still having to pay part of his contract, i think it'd be a disaster to be paying two of our stars to not play for the club. 

If we are going back to re-establishing our culture, which we should regardless of clarry, it would seem the right thing to do is move on anyone who doesn't fit the mould of the type of person we want at the club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

His behavior may have improved but his performance has gone down the toilet, I liked him with the bad attitude.

On 21/07/2024 at 19:52, The Taciturn Demon said:

The more I see of Windsor the more I think he was absolutely the right choice at our pick and the more I think he's not just a winger. 

Interesting to see what we can snag at (what seems like it might be) a similar pick in the coming draft. 

As soon as I saw him in the pre season against Carlton I immediately just thought he's going to be a next level type operator.

Special.

1 hour ago, Dee*ceiving said:

Moving Clarrie allows us to obtain another player or 2 to (potentially) make us better. No way he get's traded as a cash dump. 

Other clubs will see it that way or treat it as such, which would impact the trade value and the mfc would be paying around 30% of his contract for the 6 more years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

I've very recently come around to this way of thinking, i used to think that the club would basically implode if Jesse Hogan left, and we turned his departure into Steven May and a premiership, i have no doubt the club will be okay if Clarry moves on, though i'd be dissapointing to see a talent like that not go on to become an all time great demon. 

I just hope if as you suggest it'd decided that a mutual parting of ways is the best thing, the trade outcome is a positive one for the MFC, for example if he was going to the Crows, their pick 5 would be the center piece of that trade and they'd take on his contract in full. 

Given the situation with Angus Brayshaw and us still having to pay part of his contract, i think it'd be a disaster to be paying two of our stars to not play for the club. 

If we are going back to re-establishing our culture, which we should regardless of clarry, it would seem the right thing to do is move on anyone who doesn't fit the mould of the type of person we want at the club.

Well written TL and i do agree with you in regards to turning this into a positive if Clayton decides to leave. 

At the end of the day the club is far bigger then the individual and this is something the coaching and list management would be having these discussions as we speak around what that potentially could look like.

• Like 1