POSTGAME: Rd 18 vs Essendon

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I knew we would win 😉 

I really hope you don't have to work today WCW.

5 hours ago, layzie said:

three-lions.thumb.jpg.2d2b2c1adc7608b848197a7a6f59ad95.jpg

Hey Layz. I was walking through our local shopping centre today when a guy in an Oxfam bib walked up to me. Not to ask for money but to ask if I was from Glasgow as he saw the Rangers jacket I was wearing. He was from Belfast. We spoke about the usual stuff. Where back home we were from, how we ended up here, where can you get a decent pint of the black stuff etc. Another guy must have overheard us and came over to join the craic. He is from Longford on the other side of the border. It was all going well until one of them asked, "have you been watching the euros?". Almost simultaneously we all groaned and said how unbearable back home it would be for everyone if England actually won the thing. They will always think they are the centre of the universe. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DeeZee said:

McVees footy iq is through the roof and that’s on top of his cat like reflexes

A fantastic game by a fantastic kid.   Grandpa from Geraldton running training must be given much credit too.  Looked like a delist two seasons back, now totally entrenched as a tough smart defender who plays taller than he is.  Should be considered for AA. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, DeeZee said:

I’m not worried about JVR , he is a big lump of a lad that loves crashing in.

I don’t think we will burn him out he loves it.

Mark my words, he will be the Key superstar forward we are looking for.

He might become who we thought Jackson was destined to be, a Ruck - Forward star.

So far Jackson hasn't delivered the Forward craft at Freo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

He’s an injured mid 20s premiership key defender playing ruck and full forward. It’s f ing madness. He just has to go back

No he doesn't.  Who does he replace?

An on fire T-Mac having one of his best years?

Lever, our best intercept KD also having one of his best seaaons in the red & blue?

No thanks.

• Like 6

Apart from our near-capitulation near the end. I really enjoyed this game. It was one I went to, fully expecting to lose. I thought it was just one of those “sometimes you just turn up in the rain to support your team” things. I thought we tried so hard and really had the will to win. Probably got a bit too complacent in the last quarter, but at the end of the day, we won and essendon lost.

I felt the wet weather really suited us. It helped that we were in front when the rain really came down. Kozzie and melksham were pretty good (apart from that awful miss right in front.) Clarry played well after a slow start. 

Only sour thing I felt was we got done for throwing the ball when BOTH teams were guilty of it all night. Funny they only decided to call it when essendon were coming back.

Best thing though is not only are we ahead of collingwood, we’re in the 8 and they aren’t. I got home a very happy chappy last night.

Edited by Cassiew
  • Like 4

We lost 9 games last year in the rain. This year the first time we played in wet weather was round 18. The odds of avoiding rain all year would have been 500-1. 
it would be funny if the coaching staff spent all of the offseason fixing up our wet weather game only not to have used it until now 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oxdee said:

If GWS port and Brisbane win today we slip bwck down to 9th yet we’ve won 3-4 last games. Its a very tight comp

Blame it on our percentage 

6 hours ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

Only just got home. Just wow. It was a pleasure to be at the ground to watch us tonight. Even giving up a few goals towards the end when I think Rick was off the ground doesn't take the shine off how well we played as a collective unit. 

Correct.

Great win, really pleased with Clarry's game, recent form considered. He showed some flashes of his old self so I'm hoping he's on the way back up.

How good are the kids! Rivers has the makings of a true midfield star, JVR played a great, selfless game, McVee is a jet and Windsor has a very bright future. Also absolutely love Disco's work, he's got a fair leg on him too!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

Judd McVee could possibly be the most underrated player in the comp.

Composure of the kid is unbelievable.

This.  Amazing job on The String. 

Loved Juddys interview on 7 too.  Humble, grateful and clearly loves the club and his team mates 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Imagine the Kolt in 2 or 3 years time after he bulks up a bit in the gym.

He would be a real unit I reckon.

He has real mongrel in him and doesn’t shy away from the contest 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

I called it pre game that for once I was hoping it was pouring with rain.

I knew straight away this would stifle their ball movement and ability to chip the footy around. 

It was very evident that when it rained it actually suited us, when it stopped, it suited essendons quick ball movement.

They're also not a big contested team. So for us to be able to beat them around the ball was also very evident. Oliver, Viney and Rivers were our primes movers in this area of our game.

We came into the game with a huge emphasis on defence and contest and boy did we nail that. Kudos to Simon.

• Like 7

Really good effort with our back against the wall missing our 2 best players against nominally a top 4 side. That’s the kind of win that builds culture and one lead by the kids. If the goal is the be a contender for years to come this will be a game that we will be able to look back on. Hopefully we can build on this and make something of it this year to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Supdeano said:

The win is great, especially over them.

Certainly not the only one here calling out HP's game...

If you want to enjoy it without critiquing things, that's fine. But I'm not going to say that everything is all dandy when it isn't

Unfortunately I haven’t had the pleasure of watching the game yet due to a family commitment last night but I came here to enjoy reading what other supporters took from this game 

Your constant bleating and repetition bashing one of our own players is both tedious and annoying 

You made your point known 50 posts ago - how about focusing more on the positives and understanding that the coach and FD will determine selection and team composition which in their far more more insightful view optimises our chances of winning every game 

May a politely suggest you become a tad more glass half full

6 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Srsly though, McVee, Turner, JvR, Windsor, Moniz-Wakefield and Kolt….

The future is bright. 

And all have that mongrel in them love it  , really showed up the nice , neat Essendon players that just didn't have the same in them

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

SAME!!!!! I’m not even halfway home yet, I’ve got a grand total of NO voice, I’m literally wet through to the bone, freezing my @zz off and in a carriage full of red n black sadsacks AND I’M LOVING EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT 🥳🥳🥳

Ima watch the replay when I get home coz I know I won’t be able to sleep.

WE DID IT! WE BEAT ESSENDON!!!

Excited Seinfeld GIF       

How good was Milly's sliding goal?

• Clap 1

6 hours ago, DeeZee said:

Imagine the Kolt in 2 or 3 years time after he bulks up a bit in the gym.

He would be a real unit I reckon.

IMG_3548.thumb.jpeg.67f1105fddf095afab609f00c803ba58.jpegIMG_3547.thumb.jpeg.4d3a28b994e439e0d468e25e2c418234.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1