POSTGAME: Rd 17 vs West Coast

1 hour ago, Ollie fan said:

Spot on.

Fair enough call.. 

BUT — $41 for the Flag, is none of the above! It’s pure and classic ‘Over the odds’ chaps.. diabolically so 😈

1 hour ago, Ollie fan said:

Spot on.

Fair enough call.. 

BUT — $41 for the Flag, is none of the above! It’s pure and classic ‘Over the odds’ chaps.. Quite diabolically, so 😈

1 hour ago, Demon Jack said:

Had a good game last week.

I think we just have to accept that with his current conditioning, we're going to get a down performance every few weeks.

AND that mids are necessarily what they used to be, sure most games they are..  but today was one for the wingers, flankers & predominantly periphery players!  It worried at all, in fact — it’s a GREAT sign!

41 minutes ago, loges said:

Love the way you take the high ground the way you frame your posts, doesn't mean your always right though. You have no more idea than anyone else whether we make finals or not. that's the reality.

My framing was neither high nor low but to highlight they are different metrics that are not mutually dependent.

Bit like walking and chewing gum 

1 minute ago, seventyfour said:

Can't believe we lost to Fremantle by 100 points... would be sitting comfortably about Collingwood and GWS right now if it was only a minor loss.

Def hurts.. but really does appear to be a perfect storm of a day tbh

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The AFL website’s match reports suggested Melksham could be in trouble over an off the ball incident on McGovern.

Anyone see it?

I haven’t seen it but on AFL form I am expecting the worst. 

6 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Loved what I saw from the young kids. Kolt, Windsor and Roo fantastic. 

Last quarter without Max was always going to be a battle. Anyone know what’s wrong with him? 

Just prior to 3/4 time he grabbed the ball out of the ruck and kicked straight into a WC player and reached for his foot seconds later. 

Jogged off not long later but clearly struggling. I expect if it was close he might have stayed on but game was well over, so worth resting him 

4 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

I still see him as a defender long term, especially after May retires in the next 2-3 years but he's made a great fist of it as a forward thus far this season. 

The old reverse Neita.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the game.

Our kids are really giving us so much more run and energy.

Caleb Windsor is just as steady as a rock.

JVR is just getting better every week. We don't need Hogan, we've got someone who's going to be better.

The Kolt is going to be a gem.

But also, don't forget Jack Viney.

With Clarry finding his feet again and Tracc out, Jack's been doing the usual grunt work without much recognition. He's such a wonderful leader for this club as Rivers pointed out in his post game interview.

His pressure and tackling today was just superb.

What a crazy season. I'd really written the boys off this year but next week's game is going to be a belter.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, croydick said:

the boys did amazingly, especially the kids. Second halves could use some tidying up still but super proud of them.

Standouts in rivers, windsor, kolt and JVR and theyre all 22 or under!

Bring on the Dons, we've got this.

and don't forget McVee and AMW in that young group

7 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Just need a very smart and good recruiting in the offseason, couple of players for our midfield and draft some depth for our fwd line.

.... and a ruckman who can also play on on filed role like a marking forward when not relieving Max (unlike Brundy who could ruck or not play a role.     Seeing Max subbed out today brought feelings of absolute dread as we are cactus without him.  Sure JVR fills in bravely, but then he isn't up forward.   Very clearly the powers that be don't think Fullarton is worthy of a look in (why did they recruit him?)

6 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's the kids for me that is the story of today.

Kolt has swagger and campaigner about him. I have desperately wanted this kind of player since Bernie Vince or Tom Bugg. He's also a very impressive young player

JVR will be a our number 1 key forward from next year onwards. He's got it all.

Windsor - Enough said, the kid has class and star factor.

McVee - All class and silk. His composure right on the members wing pretty dam impressive. 

Andy Moniz Wakefield - give me a contract extension. The kid is a beauty. Tough, composed and reminds of another #45 who used to bounced off half back.

Turner rarely loses a contests. He engages and then brings the ball to ground. He'll only get better with age and experience.

Then there is Rivers and Koz who play like 150 game veterans. 

If it was the Druggies, they would be lauding the Baby Bombers.

And, JVR is already our number 1 key forward.  

6 hours ago, daisycutter said:

on a day of many positives, i have to raise one particular negative.

centre ball ups. we got smashed. and it's been happening all season

do we need a new mid coach?

Is it coaching though, or is it just too many wanting the ball and not blocking for others like many other teams do??

5 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I ironically called for deliberate and then he paid it! I shouted out that I was only joking.

Terrible decision. 

I also reflexly yelled "deliberate" from somewhere deep in the brain stem, but was absolutely shocked that it was paid.   It displayed an absolutely atrocious lack of understanding of the game by the maggots.

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

Optimism = we will make the 8

Pessimism = we won’t make the 8

Realism = we have a chance of making the 8.

The pessimists believing they are the realists is the misconception of the ages.

I much prefer being the optimist who is sometimes wrong than the pessimist who is always right.

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The AFL website’s match reports suggested Melksham could be in trouble over an off the ball incident on McGovern.

Anyone see it?

If it is on the AFL website then of course the totally impartial ex-Collingwood premiership player aka as the MRO will be right onto it.  

Edited by monoccular

Posted (edited)

Liked what I saw today.
Got some good kids coming through providing abit of youthful exuberance and it's rubbing off on the older fellas.
TMac looks like he's got a 4th wind
Best part looks like they can all kick.
Reckon I'm gonna enjoy watching 'em develop.
Tipping Windsor for Brownlow before he's done.

Loved seeing The Melk back doin' Melk things.

And great to see Kozzie finally hold a hanger.
Hopefully he'll start hangin' onto a few more.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Do you really think we're finishing in the 8 ?

I don't.  I think we'll play more good footy...but so will opposition.

Thats reality.

To be in the hunt....means finals.

I'll be very surprised. More than happy to keep developing the lads.

Nice to know where i live rent free  ;)

🥴🥴🥴

• Haha 1

Waking up pretty pumped after yesterday and am watching the highlights and videos. A few things:

- the dees supporters were loud and owned the G yesterday off the back of a strong start. It was a ripper day and great for the crowd to dominate the opposition (as we should but still). I had my 3 year old and 10 month old with me and they lasted until 3QT. I know it’s not for everyone but I loved the 1:10pm time slot for my young family. 

- goody looked absolutely emotionally exhausted in the press conference. 

- tholstrup is really mature for a first year player. Speaks really well and you can see the club values and mantras are already entrenched. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Nasher said:

We have the list profile of a team in the middle of a rebuild at the moment.  If our best players this year had fired we’d have been in the flag window and it would have been against the odds. Nevertheless, there will be no post-flag bottom out like we’ve seen Richmond, WCE and Hawthorn have. We’ll be continually up there like Sydney and Geelong have been.

I'm of the mind that if we stay fit, can get over the suns on the GC, then we're in this up to our necks. The WC and Freo losses rocked my faith and then watching Petracca go down I thought all over. The last few weeks have been very good and I just don't see an unbridgeable gap between us and anyone above us. Put us in a Prelim V the Blues and anything could happen. People criticising Goodwin atm......have they missed the fact that he's just turned over our list mid window? I was pessimistic at the beginning of the season because I didn't see it either and maybe my renewed faith is premature but I'm very bullish on the Dee's atm. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1