CASEY: Rd 15 vs Brisbane Lions

If you look at both sides Lions were just to talented around the ground, their older depth players had so much of the ball and they have won all five of their last games very convincingly. Despite our lack of class and depth the boys kept on trying until the end. We really do need to bring in some midfield stock this draft period at Dee’s and Casey!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Every one of your posts is about the umpires. How about focusing on our listed players.

No, I managed to make comments on players who were doing well, players who were disappointing, the AFL's attitude to the second-tier competition, MFC's attitude to the VFL, the poor camera work & the commentary. Most of that in a 30 minute time span. What have your contributions been, bright eyes?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Would love to hear from seasoned VFL watchers how Jefferson’s last 5 weeks compares to the performances Fritsch was putting on in 2017 to be drafted?

42 goals in 19 games for Fritta 2017 Google reckons

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Would love to hear from seasoned VFL watchers how Jefferson’s last 5 weeks compares to the performances Fritsch was putting on in 2017 to be drafted?

Great question, I have seen every one of Jeffo's games live this year except for this one! Apart from one terrible day at Frankston, he has been steadily on the improve to such an extent that he now does a few things he has improved on since last last year

A Actually calls for the footy with intent

B Can take a pack mark CLUNK!

C Is a deadly kick for goal for the most part

D Second efforts have improved

E Is smart with the footy and will dish of cleverly

F Is developing some aggresion AND a little bit of a strut when he is Kicking goals!

ONE OTHER THING... For the most part Caseys delivery into forward line is sporadic and sparse compared to better teams delivery which reflects our ladder position!

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Great question, I have seen every one of Jeffo's games live this year except for this one! Apart from one terrible day at Frankston, he has been steadily on the improve to such an extent that he now does a few things he has improved on since last last year

A Actually calls for the footy with intent

B Can take a pack mark CLUNK!

C Is a deadly kick for goal for the most part

D Second efforts have improved

E Is smart with the footy and will dish of cleverly

ONE OTHER THING... For the most part Caseys delivery into forward line is sporadic and sparse compared to better teams delivery which reflects our ladder position!

F Is developing some aggresion AND a little bit of a strut when he is Kicking goals!

He’s marking is very good and I think his ground ball work will be very good for a key forward, a bit like a Jeremy cameron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Colm said:

Jed Adams with 6 disposals today. Which is his average over the past 4 weeks. In a defence that seeing a lot of the ball. For those that watch Casey closely is he carrying an injury or just struggling to make it? 

I'd like to see him take on the game to see what he's got. I think he's got KPD attributes but he's a bit timid or lacking in confidence or something IMV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, old dee said:

Sorry mono I posted below did not notice your comment.

Not a problem.  Always good to have this farce of a feeder / development competition shown up.

8 hours ago, binman said:

It's weird watching a game without replays

and no goal reviews going against us??

7 hours ago, waynewussell said:

The standard of the broadcast is evidence that the AFL don't give a stuff about this second tier comp. I had to mute the commentary!

Not just evidence - further evidence

7 hours ago, waynewussell said:

I've been sitting here for the whole game but I have missed half of it because the person who has been dragged in from the local primary school to point the handicam has been trailing the action by 5 seconds throughout

My prep granddaughter does a far better job than these do

6 hours ago, bobby1554 said:

This performance by Casey just highlights our complete lack of depth. It is little wonder that we currently sit in the bottom half of the AFL ladder. It is why players not performing at AFL keep getting a game because there is nothing better or at least equal to replace them with. Our recruiting has fallen off a cliff. Not one of our signings from other clubs has been a positive, and there have been many. It is time to review the whole club, from the senior coach down. Otherwise we are headed back to those dark days again. 

It does, but remember we started the season with 2 gone for the year, and have lost a third for the season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Not a problem.  Always good to have this farce of a feeder / development competition shown up.

and no goal reviews going against us??

Not just evidence - further evidence

My prep granddaughter does a far better job than these do

It does, but remember we started the season with 2 gone for the year, and have lost a third for the season

And two of those are champions and the third best 23.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

And two of those are champions and the third best 23.

So was it Hustwaite and Connelly that were out for the season, (injured in the state game?), and who was the 3rd?

I’ve had a search but I can’t find anything about the injury list.

But we are really missing some big bodies in the midfield  

Sorry, I’ve lost it. 

• Haha 1

DERAILMENT by KC from Casey

It wasn’t quite a trainwreck although at times, it sure looked like one, so I’ll settle for “derailment”. 

The trip to Brighton Homes Arena in Springfield outside the back of Brisbane might not exactly be the same place where Homer Simpson’s family resides but, if you listened closely to the utterances of the Casey Demons fans both at the ground or watching via livestream, you could hear lots of groaning and plenty of expressions of “D'oh!” reverberating in the background, particularly after quarter time. 

The Demons started the game brightly. They were aided by a swirly breeze and had two early goals on the board through the agency of Josh Schache and emerging young forward Matt Jefferson who is starting to look as if he belongs on the forward line after a long apprenticeship. The Lions mounted a countercharge but the Demons were equal to the task with Shane McAdam and Schache looking dangerous, albeit erratic in front of goals. 

A ten point lead at the first break was looking like a good reward for effort until the strength, ability,  the greater experience and AFL list numbers of the northerners came to the fore early in the second term and it was all over. 

The combination of Fort and Smith in the ruck and the on ball skills of Lyons, Robertson and Dunkley were overwhelming as the home side relentlessly pushed forward time and again off the weight of clearances. The Brisbane backmen defended strongly, their forwards played in front and marked everything. The only mystery was the fact that they weren’t further in front.

After an early second half resurgence, it was business as usual and the Demons trailed by eight goals at three quarter time and thanks to some rare individual efforts, they somehow managed to narrow the margin slightly by the end of the game.

Casey had far too few players who stood up all day. Defenders Marty Hore (24 disposals, 10 marks) and Blake Howes Howes (22 touches, seven marks) worked hard to stem the flow but had very little assistance. 

Forwards Matt Jefferson and Shane McAdam presented well and did their bit with three goals each while Josh Schache scored two goals but also blemished his record with four behinds including a couple that were very forgettable. Jack Billings worked hard to get into the game but otherwise, most of the younger crop of Demons looked tired and failed to produce the goods. The young ruckmen were well beaten both at stoppages and around the ground. 

Apart from Mitch White who gave his all as he always does, Roan Steele and Tom Freeman, the VFL-listed players had minimal impact on the game. 

Casey are back home against Essendon, another struggling side, next Sunday. The Demons will need to lift their game as the Bombers won their game this round and are showing improvement of late with internal competition for finals places intensifies.

CASEY DEMONS 5.5.35 6.5.41 7.9.51 11.11.77

BRISBANE LIONS 4.1.25 10.5.65 15.9.99 18.15.123

GOALS

CASEY DEMONS Jefferson McAdam 3 Schache 2 Billings Farris-White White 

BRISBANE LIONS Smith 3 Craven Derksen Dunkley Lyons Ryan 2 Greenaway McPherson Manly Robertson Sharp 

BEST

CASEY DEMONS Hore Jefferson McAdam Howes White Billings 

BRISBANE LIONS Robertson Lyons Smith Prior Dunkley Fort 

Statistics 

Jed Adams 2 kicks 3 handballs 5 disposals 1 tackle 16 dream team points
Jack Billings 1 goal 14 kicks 5 handballs 19 disposals 7 marks 5 tackles 84 dream team points
Kynan Brown 3 kicks 3 handballs 6 disposals 5 tackles 35 dream team points
Tyler Edwards 9 kicks 5 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 1 tackle 51 dream team points
Kyah Faris-White 1 goals 1 behind 3 kicks 3  disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 11 hitouts 29 dream team points
Tom Freeman 10 kicks 7 handballs 17 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 64 dream team points
Max Gregory 4 kicks 8 handballs 12 disposals 3 marks 5 tackles 57 dream team points
Marty Hore 22 kicks 2 handballs 24 disposals 9 marks 2 tackles 106 dream team points
Blake Howes 13  kicks 9 handballs 22 disposals 7 marks 78 dream team points
Lachie Hunter 13 kicks 3 handballs 16 disposals 9 marks 1 tackle 76 dream team points
Matt Jefferson 3 goals 1 behind 7 kicks 3 handballs 10 disposals 7 marks 2 tackles 76 dream team points
Luker Kentfield 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 3 marks 25 dream team points
Eddie King 2 kicks 3 handballs 5 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 23 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 8 kicks 2 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 32 dream team points
Shane McAdam 3 goals 1 behind 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 6 marks 7 tackles 97 dream team points
Ned Moodie 1 behind 9 kicks 6 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 53 dream team points
Harvey Neocleous 1 behind 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 60 dream team points
Josh Schache 2 goals 4 behinds 12 kicks 4 handballs 16 disposals 12 marks 96 dream team points
Ollie Sestan 3 kicks 6 handballs 9 disposals 1 mark 4 tackles 1 hitout 41 dream team points
Roan Steele 11 kicks 6 handballs 17 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles 69 dream team points
Mitch Szybkowski 3 kicks 4 handballs 7 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 32 dream team points
Will Verrall 6 kicks 1 handball 7 disposals 3 tackles 26 hitouts 56 dream team points
Mitch White 1 goal 13 kicks 6 handballs 19 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 65 dream team points

IMG_4507.jpeg

After quarter time, this game was generally a disappointment, mainly from our defensive unit. Ive seen Hore play really good games at VFL level but today wasnt one of them. He was outmarked and outpositioned numerous times, although he was also often without support. Howes also made poor decisions, one being when he kicked the ball over his head straight out of bounds on the full. I would expect players trying to get into the  first team to show a lot more.

While Brisbane are having a good year in the VFL , i would expect our players to at least be able to pass the ball 20 - 25 metres  to a team mate, not the opposition.  As for Hunter, what is the point of slowing play down and burning leads from players that are in the clear...to then kick it long to a pocket where the forward was outnumbered in a contest. Just dumb.

We were missing quite a few players, I get that, but most of the MFC listed players did not show the skills, smarts or effort required in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don’t watch Casey but McAdam’s kicked 6.2 in the last fortnight.

Is that enough to warrant a recall? Bear in mind that our accuracy has been generally atrocious this year  and he might  able to assist in that area.

I think we'll see him and Hore back in the side sooner rather than later. 

• Thinking 1

13 hours ago, godees said:

Umpiring and Schache are both unwatchable. If he is on our list beyond this year I will burn the place down.

'burn the place down' - Casey Fields? Your house?

• Like 1