POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

Demonland

After last night game I have decided that we will not make the GF and we may sneak into 7/8th place. Too many injuries and out of form players. So I am just enjoying each win that happens. I am not thinking about next week until at least Wednesday. Enjoying a win end of story.

PS my god there are some dreadful doom sayers on here. 

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

I am not sure what others thought, but i felt like you could see the stress and frustration written all over Goody last night, he looked rattled. 

Personally i wonder if he'd benefit from a move back to the box just to change things up and perhaps let Mark Williams a premiership coach and head of development run the bench area 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It’s complete BS the media choose to focus on Mays staging after what the umps dished up and how it changed the momentum of that game with two free kick goals in the first 5 mins of that quarter.

If it was a Collingwood or Carlton, it’s all you’d hear about. 

Ignore them the multitude have to justify their existence every week. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Marvelling at T Mac’s professionalism. I reckon he’s giving the B & F top 5 a serious shake with his consistency.

From the way he was coughing and spluttering coming off after the game last night, it was a good performance under duress.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

It’s complete BS the media choose to focus on Mays staging after what the umps dished up and how it changed the momentum of that game with two free kick goals in the first 5 mins of that quarter.

It’s been creeping into a lot of players this very issue. Was as blatant as it gets, and might actually force the AFL to stop getting sucked in. Surprised Clarry didn’t get scolded for his stage aswell. Hate that our players feel they need to milk free kicks. Desperate times. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Older demon said:

Can I bring some perspective.

I was lucky enough to be at the Presidents function and the guest speaker almost brought me to tears. Her name is Toni and Steven May is her favourite and he wore her name on his warm-up vest. Look it up and see Toni's story as she met Maisie at Casey this week and there is an Insta photo of her with him post game.

Diagnosed triple-negative breast cancer at the age of 31. Despite becoming infertile a surrogate derived her and hubby a family and then it returns and has metastasised to her brain. Somewhere in all this turmoil she wins the Amazing race and has the courage to state that statistically sometime this year she will become another victim of the cancer. She even stated it could be as early as October. I am not sure I could talk as candidly as she did to an audience. I really didn't mind her saying feck a lot and she was so brave, extroverted and I am glad Maysie played a blinder for her. Somehow the narrow win was nice be she left a legacy with me that goes beyond the game.

My only complaint for the night (umpires aside) is the miserable crumb that thought they could pocket my MCC/MFC staff and pink beanie I left under my seat when I moved away briefly at the end of the game. 

Not our best night but we won. I am so proud of this club for its commitment to Pink Lady and MND. The rest well, it is only a game and the sun came up this morning.

Wonderful and sobering post and I hope Toni found joy in the win and shared it with her family.

If nothing else last night provided no doubt a treasured memory for her and her loved one’s they will hold forever.

It puts into perspective the important things somewhat 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

I am not sure what others thought, but i felt like you could see the stress and frustration written all over Goody last night, he looked rattled. 

Personally i wonder if he'd benefit from a move back to the box just to change things up and perhaps let Mark Williams a premiership coach and head of development run the bench area 

Nothing compared to the stress and frustration on my face. My continence aid got a work out as well.

• Haha 6

23 minutes ago, SFebes said:

Positives: Rivers in the midfield (where he should always be now), McVee poise, May, Viney, TMAC did his job again, breast cancer awareness, holding on to win, kids getting gametime, Kynans tackle.

Negatives; Pickett pulling out of contests lately (wonder if it has to do with his reports, Gawn sooking to umpires, how terrible we are actually playing, poor coaching, crowd numbers, skill level, lack of forwards with actual forward craft, Fritsch, Oliver.... (I'd look to trade him if what I'm hearing is true).

Not that we don't know where we are at now considering our efforts against WCE, Frem, Coll and almost losing to North, but a real test against a red hot Brisbane will make or break our season officially I feel.

Gawn sooking to umpires? Did you actually see what was being done to him (as it always is!!)?

And we are back on the Clarry rumour mill, are we?

• Like 4
  • Clap 5
  • Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

This is how they get away with running agenda driven umpiring performances. smoke and mirrors. This isn’t their first time at the rodeo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

You’re having a crack at a poster for not “pouring scorn” on other posters? 

Huh?

No, I'm asking where is the advice, that I received, for the posters pouring scorn on the club to just 'enjoy the win' and not create bad vibes in a post match thread. Of a game we won.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

I’m usually the one to say a wins a win, but that was a pretty unsatisfying game. The way we let them in the last quarter the shameful. We did virtually nothing in that quarter. Hats off to north, they were fantastic but our handballing, holding on to the ball were below standard. If north had been more accurate I have no doubt they’d run away with the points.

I’m glad we won but I’m dreading Brisbane next week. I think this will be our last win for a while so I’ll enjoy it while we can

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Jeez, I wish clarry would occasionally lower his eyes and not slap the ball onto his boot blindly just to gain meters, temporarily

You'd expect that to be coached out of him by now, it receives limited rewards with our forward set-up. Basically, it's the long bomb of which Viney is a great advocate.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

clayton is a star but at the moment his is a wandering star not focused on his game. i see way too much vision of him pushing and holding opposition players as well as giving away lots of frees. he looks angry, he needs time off from footy to get into a better headspace. He also seems to be targeted by umpires. in a few games i have seen he has been one of the very few players pinged for holding the ball when he is tackled and handballs away pretty quickly. i believe he gets a lot more negative attention from umpires who dont really see the things done to him. looking at the AFL seasonal stats he looks to be giving away the most frees in our club. our forward line is poor, i dont know why they dont try petty down back and tom forward, it cannot hurt to try something simon!! as for fritter love the guy but he like some of our forwards just seem lazy in chasing and putting pressure on the opposition. we allow the opposition to keep players open all over our forward line when they are kicking in. why? if we have taken all of the trouble to get the damn ball into our forward line why do we not put pressure on every single opposition players to keep it in and give us a chance to get a score. our defensive nature in our forward line of letting them have the easy kick around the boundary can often turn up in their forward line before we have put pressure on them. I would rather see all of our forwards and players hold every opposition player accountable at kick ins so that we have a chance of a contest and a turnover closer to our goal. Some of our players seem to put in token chases i.e. if i look like i am chasing the opposition player hoping they will get rid of the ball, instead of chasing hard to really put pressure on them. its hard to understand our tackling in quite a few cases our players just tried to fence an opposition player in rather than tackling and other times our tackles were just shrugged off so easily. And Simon, really not a lot of moves in his game plan. Oliver probably should have been subbed off at half time.

• Like 1

Did anyone else note the big smile on Adem Yze's face when his mate Brownie's son laid that tackle? I've never seen that before, an opposition coach barracking for a team at another game. Then again, he was one of our great players...

• Like 9
  • Clap 1