PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

I’m just wondering if we might put players in their natural positions as a crazy idea. Lingers on the wing instead of half forward.

Petty and Disco in the backline instead of reinventing as forwards

Sparrow in the middle instead of a wing.

Put some of the players brought to the club as tall forwards / ruck chop out actually in that position - they could not be less effective than what is there now, Roo excepted.

• Like 9
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, DeeMee said:

I’m just wondering if we might put players in their natural positions as a crazy idea. Lingers on the wing instead of half forward.

Put some of the players brought to the club as tall forwards / ruck chop out actually in that position - they could not be less effective than what is there now, Roo excepted.

Yeah I know right. Playing Langdon in a position he almost won an all Australian in during 2021 - what an absurd idea to suggest.

And is there any chance BBB could provide more than Petty and Turner up forward? Are the coaching staff waiting for him to kick 6 and take 18 marks in a VFL game prior to promotion. I bet BBB would play better in an MCG game rather than in front of 200 people at Casey. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Yeah I know right. Playing Langdon in a position he almost won an all Australian in during 2021 - what an absurd idea to suggest.

And is there any chance BBB could provide more than Petty and Turner up forward? Are the coaching staff waiting for him to kick 6 and take 18 marks in a VFL game prior to promotion. I bet BBB would play better in an MCG game rather than in front of 200 people at Casey. 

Some of our best form this year - the come back against Carlton, the St Kilda win, has come because Langdon has gone to half forward with ANB going on ball. 

BBB has played in 6 games for 7 goals, including 2 goals in his last 3 games with an average of 4 touches.

Since he was inexplicably picked for the quick back up against the Crows he's been about as useful as a big red witches hat on the field.

He can come back in, he'll soon go back out.

• Like 5

I doubt there will be wholesale changes.

Hopefully Lever will be back and of course Trac is out. I think Chandler needs a rest and Laurie I just don't think has it and Disco isn't a forward and disappointingly does tackle like a Backman.

Sestan and Kolt may be raw but look at their stats they are both tackling machines and are bigger bodies than Chin and Laurie. I would also move Fritta out to a flank where he can creat space and run a bit more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeMee said:

We don't need Petty and Disco in the backline, we should get either Lever or Hore back and be perfectly well stocked for tall defenders.

We can do worse than Petty and Disco, hence why they're getting games. Brown can't move and Fullarton is scared of contact.

With ANB required on ball Lagdon's the only winner we have across half forward. We'd love 2 or 3 of him but he's needed forward as much as the wing. Taking the game on at half back and through the corridor requires half forwards with speed and smarts to get to the right spots to keep play flowing. Langdon has been great at that.

Sparrow clearly hasn't cut the mustard on ball, it's vital for him and the team that he finds a new role. He's an A grade athlete, culture guy, team mate, he needs to find a spot to get value for the team.

There's no personnel answer to suddenly fix everything. We've don't have the cattle in the tall forwards, lack quality in the mid/forward rotation and even before the Petracca injury our midfield was shallow, inflexible and below the required skill, speed and fitness.

The best way to get value out of the rest of the season is to try a lot of guys in different roles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeeMee said:

you forgot to mention all the natural tall fwds we have???

Turner and Petty are playing fwd as we have no-one aside from JVR

I would like to see a few weeks of Sparrow 100% on the ball with Trac out. Maybe he has gotten better in this area

• Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

BB actually played very well for Casey last week when put in the ruck… he seemed to be playing less encumbered than he’s been recently.

I don’t expect he’ll be attending any centre circle ball ups but I DO think he’s a certainty to come back into the seniors against North

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

I'd really like to see some others players get some more exposure in the midfield now that Trac is out and Viney and Oliver are out of form. I'd love to see Rivers, Windsor, ANB and McVee get more midfield time. I think our season may be shot and we lack depth in this area so it would be great to see how some of these players perform with decent minutes in there.

• Like 5

On 11/06/2024 at 18:19, BDA said:

North coming off their first win of the season. Our form putrid.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is now genuine danger game

But will they be coming off their second?...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Timothy Reddan-A'Blew said:

But will they be coming off their second?...

Going to be a very interesting gauge of both

• Like 1

On 11/06/2024 at 21:41, The Stigga said:

Out AI, Out [censored] avatars

In: A realistic appraisal of the current situation 

Don't tell me you actually look like that then, Stigga?! 😲

Just the 'presence' the team needs if so!

That the Club has made a point of creating and putting this on its website suggests, 'He's in!'

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/1576724/koltyn-tholstrup-vfl-highlights?videoId=1576724&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1718175600001

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

On 12/06/2024 at 04:23, Demonised said:

The time will come, be it soon or years from now, when the lost and lonely will sigh about how the MFC is a mediocre team, winning rarely, offering false hope occasionally, dashing that hope perennially. Pundits everywhere will nod sagely and agree that the Demons are pitiable and always have been.

But some among us will step forward, hand on heart, and say, ‘No! We won’t have it!’ because we few, we happy few, remember when our players strode the MCG like gods, fair of face and clean of limb, outshining all others and grasping the ultimate prize through skill, heart and grace.

We’ll remember Max the colossus, peerless in his craft. We’ll remember sunny Christian, relentless Clayton and dogged Jack, never giving in, never surrendering. We’ll never forget Steven, the Jakes, the other Christian, Kossie, Bayley of the unrivalled hair, Ed the running man and others, for we all had our favourites.

We were part of it. Through our commitment and love we were part of it and we will remember though times be dark, though times may grow dark for we know that when the times lighten, they lighten with fire.

Go Dees.

+ Dopey Dogga, the Unicorn. His tale might just go down in MFC folklore as the quirkiest! People might even forget and new younger footy fans won't even be aware that he played in our flag, in 10 years when he winds down his career at Freo!

babdd1fa732b3e4e9c65290008de61950905868c

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Throw Fullo in there as an 'either / or' and I'll take whatever odds you're offering that either of them would BBP (provided BBB doesn't go lame in match and has to be subbed early!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boots and all said:

I'd really like to see some others players get some more exposure in the midfield now that Trac is out and Viney and Oliver are out of form. I'd love to see Rivers, Windsor, ANB and McVee get more midfield time. I think our season may be shot and we lack depth in this area so it would be great to see how some of these players perform with decent minutes in there.

Yes & Yes.

Rivers in particular is a must to cover for Tracc's abscence.

Turner to go back or Marty (once fit) to cover the Rivers role when he goes into the middle.

As for the other two mentioned...

McVee would need a good pre-season to be capable in a serious way imv

Ditto Windsor & regardless he is still a wringing wet rookie learning how to play the winger role with only 11 or so games experience under his belt.  I can't see them throwing him into the middle any time soon.

20 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Yes & Yes.

Rivers in particular is a must to cover for Tracc's abscence.

Turner to go back or Marty (once fit) to cover the Rivers role when he goes into the middle.

As for the other two mentioned...

McVee would need a good pre-season to be capable in a serious way imv

Ditto Windsor & regardless he is still a wringing wet rookie learning how to play the winger role with only 11 or so games experience under his belt.  I can't see them throwing him into the middle any time soon.

Yes. Less minutes for McVee and Windsor. It will probably fail, but I think part of the reason the midfield depth is lacking is due to lack of exposure. I think it's worth taking some risks, especially given our current situation. 

On 12/06/2024 at 23:30, Winners at last said:

Has anyone seen or heard from Kate Roffey recently?

Is she match fit?  And what position would you play her?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Indeed absurd.   Like playing Tulip on a wing, and get Brownlow votes instead of every other blooody position cos we were weak there.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

I guess so but I still don't understand the alleged quote by the op

Does flim equal flam?

On 14/06/2024 at 15:52, DeeSpencer said:

We don't need Petty and Disco in the backline, we should get either Lever or Hore back and be perfectly well stocked for tall defenders.

We can do worse than Petty and Disco, hence why they're getting games. Brown can't move and Fullarton is scared of contact.

With ANB required on ball Lagdon's the only winner we have across half forward. We'd love 2 or 3 of him but he's needed forward as much as the wing. Taking the game on at half back and through the corridor requires half forwards with speed and smarts to get to the right spots to keep play flowing. Langdon has been great at that.

Sparrow clearly hasn't cut the mustard on ball, it's vital for him and the team that he finds a new role. He's an A grade athlete, culture guy, team mate, he needs to find a spot to get value for the team.

There's no personnel answer to suddenly fix everything. We've don't have the cattle in the tall forwards, lack quality in the mid/forward rotation and even before the Petracca injury our midfield was shallow, inflexible and below the required skill, speed and fitness.

The best way to get value out of the rest of the season is to try a lot of guys in different roles.

Fullarton scared of contact

Did you see last week's game. He is 25 if we don't play him after a good game last week with 3 goals why the hell is he on our list. Petty has been poor for weeks why is he still in the team? Hmm an error 1 goal 1.   101 dream time points.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1
  • Clap 2

Pick 5 is looking good , doggies have overtaken , Lions not far off . Norf to win by 20 pts.

13 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Pick 5 is looking good , doggies have overtaken , Lions not far off . Norf to win by 20 pts.

Game in hand, Cool10 😏

• Like 1

On 11/06/2024 at 12:11, SthSea22 said:

If your omitting Rivers than you need to omit Petty. 

AMW as the SUB

Salem into the middle

Fullerton takes Pety spot

Posters are probably sick of calling for Petty out when he stays all the time.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, old dee said:

Good point. He's probably more productive in the fwd line. Hell knows we need some help there. If he can pop up and kick a couple of goals and goal assists there it's worth a crack. I always would have preferred him there than Tracca but even as he is as a mid, I think he stays put with Trac out.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1