PREGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

I’ve said this a couple of times (and been laughed at) but I’ll say it again. Switch Steven May to the forward line for at least next week. Oppose him to May-f’ing-nard. Love to see that scrap. But I also think May, along with JVR, will give us some grunt and fire that our forward line is desperately missing. Petty takes May spot in the backline - he ain’t no forward. 
I would like Oliver taken away from the midfield because he is still broken and unfit, and compared to the old Clarry, is just a faded shadow of his former self. I’d put him in the forward pocket (in place of McAdam) till he gets his mojo back. Kossie and, last week, ANB seem to be the only mids making an effort to clear the ball at centre clearances, apart from Tracc. Viney has gone back to his old bulldog ways - possibly because Oliver and Sparrow have not played their part at centre bounces. Gawn also must improve his tap outs - he was superb against the Saints in terms of hitting to our players advantage - but generally his tap work this year has not been up to standard. So for what it’s worth here is my side for next week:

McVee, Petty, Tomlinson

Bowey, TMac, Rivers

Langdon, Tracc, ANB

Salem, May, Fritsch

Oliver, JVR, Jefferson

Gawn, Viney, Pickett

Chandler, Turner, Woewoden, Windsor

Sub: Sparrow.

And I believe it’s time to get a new skills coach - hitting targets by hand and foot - as we are embarrassingly poor in these areas. The turnovers today through these basic skill errors killed us. 

May seems to have lost a step and really unsure below his knees. I don't mind the idea of him at full forward. He was drafted as a forward.  But without Lever, I doubt it would happen. Our game plan and coaching staff are too rigid.  

By the by, a skills coach won't do much.  'skills' generally don't improve dramatically in an AFL players career.  There is the odd exception of course but for everyone one player that gets better you could name 50 that don't and not for a lack of trying or practice or coaching.  You have to draft or trade for skilful players

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

May seems to have lost a step and really unsure below his knees. I don't mind the idea of him at full forward. He was drafted as a forward.  But without Lever, I doubt it would happen. Our game plan and coaching staff are too rigid.  

By the by, a skills coach won't do much.  'skills' generally don't improve dramatically in an AFL players career.  There is the odd exception of course but for everyone one player that gets better you could name 50 that don't and not for a lack of trying or practice or coaching.  You have to draft or trade for skilful players

May would great for a switch with petty

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

That’s a bit harsh, he’s one of our hardest runners and crazy brave.

He earns every one of his dollars.

I was howled down after the flag for saying this is probably all he is.

But the thing is I think he can still improve and can certainly get back in form, but he’ll do it with 30+ touches at Casey. That’s how you build a player back in to touch.

Whether we can do it this week or not depends on the strength of the rest of the players available, but generally a freshen up at Casey to work on his skills would have him better for it. 

He's like every other inside midfield we have.

Genuine turnover merchant tried to burst through packs like Brent Moloney use to.

He's exactly the opposite to what we need right now and he's just chewing up a spot in our 22.

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's like every other inside midfield we have.

Genuine turnover merchant tried to burst through packs like Brent Moloney use to.

He's exactly the opposite to what we need right now and he's just chewing up a spot in our 22.

Sure, but if he was playing for Sydney he’d probably be doing the job JJ was doing and everyone would say we need him back, he’s a damn hard worker and all 18 clubs would love to have him, he’s just not a true mid.

1 minute ago, DeeSpencer said:

Sure, but if he was playing for Sydney he’d probably be doing the job JJ was doing and everyone would say we need him back, he’s a damn hard worker and all 18 clubs would love to have him, he’s just not a true mid.

JJ at least showed the capacity to not only win the footy but was also a versatile player who could play as an inside mid but also out on a wing or half back.

Sparrow has one position and that's a genuine inside mid who wins his usual 12-14 disposal per game.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

As a midfielder today let's check one of the basic fundamentals of what a midfielder should be doing amongst many other in the coalface and that's tackling.

Screenshot_20240602_202904_AFL.thumb.jpg.7fd3372277bc7268bee1793c5ffc4179.jpg

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Who is willing to take a 10 week ban for knocking out Maynard? You’re in son. 

Can we start a crowd funding thingy on in internet to cover any loss of income? I’d pitch in.

What is big bad Carl Ditterich up to nowadays?

It’s got to be a big hit. He only has a few brain cells.

if all that is not possible, just beat the bastards. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

29 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

JJ at least showed the capacity to not only win the footy but was also a versatile player who could play as an inside mid but also out on a wing or half back.

Sparrow has one position and that's a genuine inside mid who wins his usual 12-14 disposal per game.

JJ could somewhat fill in at half back, he did a job on the wing but he’s not a true winger and the Swans don’t let him remotely near CBA’s. Even when tagging he starts at half forward. They use more skilled and explosive players at centre bounces, something we’re trying too.

He is a defensive running half forward/tagging mid. The same as Sparrow but with a bit more off ball discipline but without some of the power and overhead ability of Sparrow. The big difference between them is one is playing in a top of the ladder team with elite ball movement, the other is playing in a team with a shallow midfield.

I was one of very few on here saying we should keep JJ for his elite running and not seeing the best of him yet as a big bodied mid who takes time to develop his craft. Sparrow no different. He’ll do a job for us for plenty of games to come if we want him to, we just need more quality and he needs a freshen up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

After the StKilda game I thought we’d have our work cut out for us against Freo and would start underdogs against the Pies. I may’ve overrated our position. Staggeringly.

I don’t mind suggestions from some about swapping Petty and May. I think something like that is worth a try.

The midfield in its current state will get slaughtered. Utterly destroyed. With that in mind I would try a few things. Start Petracca in the midfield, resting forward. Give Viney a job. Daicos? Not sure he has the running power but I would take a result like 12-15 possessions to Viney and 20-22 to Nick Daicos. Oliver is the conundrum. He is so out of sorts I’m not sure what to do. If Windsor is fit which I think he is, match him up on Josh Daicos. He needs at accelerate his development for 2025. I’d also like to see Max, mix up his ruck technique and bash it forward a few times a quarter. It’s basic but I think we need a bit of variety from bounce downs. McDonald backs up Max and plays up forward. He can support JVR if May needs to swing back during the game.

Move ANB back to high half forward. Bring in JVR if fit as he is the only tall who draws the footy and can apply pressure defensively. Goody needs to hold our forwards to a higher standard when we don’t have the ball. Play a disciplined negative player on Maynard or whoever is deemed a critical release player. Quaynor? Give Woey a negative role on one of them.

I’d be ok with a 60 vs 70 score line. Use some running power and strong defensive play to lock the game up.

Lastly we shouldn’t worry about debutants this week. We are not the 2008 version. With that in mind, I’d be ok if we selected Jefferson. 

F: Pickett, JVR, Fritsch

HF: ANB, May, Woewodin

C: Windsor, Viney, Lingers

HB: Rivers, Petty, Salem

B: Bowey, Turner, McVee

R: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver

Int: McDonald, Jefferson, Sparrow, Chandler

McAdam (sub) this role might suit him in his current state of fitness

Out: Hunter Tomlinson (Unlucky as he tried so I’d be ok if he and Petty swapped)

Probably already been said, but can’t be bothered reading through after today sorry:

Petty back (if not dropped) and McDonald forward thanks.

I’m open to wholesale changes but given our limited reserve stocks, McAdam out for Moniz-Wakefield please at a minimum. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, JJJ said:

After the StKilda game I thought we’d have our work cut out for us against Freo and would start underdogs against the Pies. I may’ve overrated our position. Staggeringly.

I don’t mind suggestions from some about swapping Petty and May. I think something like that is worth a try.

The midfield in its current state will get slaughtered. Utterly destroyed. With that in mind I would try a few things. Start Petracca in the midfield, resting forward. Give Viney a job. Daicos? Not sure he has the running power but I would take a result like 12-15 possessions to Viney and 20-22 to Nick Daicos. Oliver is the conundrum. He is so out of sorts I’m not sure what to do. If Windsor is fit which I think he is, match him up on Josh Daicos. He needs at accelerate his development for 2025. I’d also like to see Max, mix up his ruck technique and bash it forward a few times a quarter. It’s basic but I think we need a bit of variety from bounce downs. McDonald backs up Max and plays up forward. He can support JVR if May needs to swing back during the game.

Move ANB back to high half forward. Bring in JVR if fit as he is the only tall who draws the footy and can apply pressure defensively. Goody needs to hold our forwards to a higher standard when we don’t have the ball. Play a disciplined negative player on Maynard or whoever is deemed a critical release player. Quaynor? Give Woey a negative role on one of them.

I’d be ok with a 60 vs 70 score line. Use some running power and strong defensive play to lock the game up.

Lastly we shouldn’t worry about debutants this week. We are not the 2008 version. With that in mind, I’d be ok if we selected Jefferson. 

F: Pickett, JVR, Fritsch

HF: ANB, May, Woewodin

C: Windsor, Viney, Lingers

HB: Rivers, Petty, Salem

B: Bowey, Turner, McVee

R: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver

Int: McDonald, Jefferson, Sparrow, Chandler

McAdam (sub) this role might suit him in his current state of fitness

Out: Hunter Tomlinson (Unlucky as he tried so I’d be ok if he and Petty swapped)

On today's performance no way am I dropping Tomlinson. He at least had a go, and his disposal is OK. I would be getting rid of Fritta, Windsor, Rivers, Petty, Salem, Bowey, Sparrow, Chandler, Hunter & McAdam before Tomo.  Not one of them turned up and had a go and when they did get the pill just gave it back. Most will stay in the side because as many have said there is not any replacements. This is a huge problem as players in the one's know they will stay even with ordinary efforts.

As we have nobody banging the door down, I would have JVR for Petty with Woey for Hunter and hope to hell the others get their stuff together or else this season is going downhill. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Deelectable said:

In 1990 , If my memory serves me correctly,  Collingwood had consecutive weeks of 80 point thrashings late in the season and the rest is history.  I'm not hopeful.

mid 2000 I seem to recall being absolutely flogged by Footscray and Carlton - went on th play a GF against an unbeatable team (had they started supplements by then?)

Edited by monoccular
word replacement
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

FB: McVee May Bowey
HB: Salem McDonald Turner 
C: Woey Oliver Windsor
HF: ANB Tracc Langdon
FF:Chandler JVR Pickett
Foll: Gawn Rivers Viney
Int: AMW Kolt Sparrow Brown
S: Fritsch 

Out: 
Hunter - see ya
Tomlinson - any pressure and he goes to water
Petty - I still want to like him but no
McAdam - come on now

In:
AMW
Kolt
BBB
JVR 

Good try but def no BBB please.   He is cooked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Docs Demons said:

On today's performance no way am I dropping Tomlinson. He at least had a go, and his disposal is OK. I would be getting rid of Fritta, Windsor, Rivers, Petty, Salem, Bowey, Sparrow, Chandler, Hunter & McAdam before Tomo.  Not one of them turned up and had a go and when they did get the pill just gave it back. Most will stay in the side because as many have said there is not any replacements. This is a huge problem as players in the one's know they will stay even with ordinary efforts.

As we have nobody banging the door down, I would have JVR for Petty with Woey for Hunter and hope to hell the others get their stuff together or else this season is going downhill. 

Pretty sure I said it wouldn’t bother me if we dropped Petty instead.

One of the problems with Tomlinson is that he offers very little positional flexibility and since he did his ACL in 21, seems only capable of playing 1 good game in the seniors followed by a mare or  two. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Incredibly Sportsbet have Demons as slight favourites. I suspect that will change.

They forgot to click the "refresh" button.

• Haha 1

Anyone who thinks May should play forward have rocks in their head, could you imagine how many goals Freo would’ve kicked with Petty & Turner as key backs.

Tmac unfortunately will have to go forward, l feel for him because he’s been really good down back.

Petty & Turnover back to Casey until the deserve to get back in (in defence)

McAdam back to Casey also

These three are useless at the moment along with Hunter 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

10 hours ago, David-Demon said:

Good try but def no BBB please.   He is cooked. 

I don't want to pick him, the guy should be retired, but out of Brown, Fullarton, Petty, Verall? no one, we're running out of choices.

• Like 1

Out: Hunter Tomlinson 

In: Fullerton and Howes 

Happy for Gawn to play mostly forward 

tmac forward and Petty down back or I rather Petty not play. 

Woey gets a full game

happy for Thulstrup to come in and be sub 

15 minutes ago, Demongirl35 said:

Out: Hunter Tomlinson 

In: Fullerton and Howes 

Happy for Gawn to play mostly forward 

tmac forward and Petty down back or I rather Petty not play. 

Woey gets a full game

happy for Thulstrup to come in and be sub 

I wouldn’t be dropping Tommo. He was far from our worst player yesterday. Furthermore, I seem to recall him playing pretty well on KB last year (15 disposals, 10 marks) only to be dropped the following week. He’d remember that and IMO have something to prove.

• Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1