POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

17 hours ago, DubDee said:

Those wanting Petty out for Jefferson

who takes the gorilla defender?

JVR Jeffo is too young and green. 

He does need a new curve on the learning scale, though. This will assist other forwards to appreciate and 'learn' improved ways and consistencies with protection, support and opportunities to goal fortuitously. Our forwards, for too long, have abandoned one another - seemingly reliant on individual chances (low percentage returns) rather than negating close-checking opposition backs, putting their bodies in there to block defenders, creating sudden space links for handball and blindly running amok in the pursuit of impossible 'kick-it-to-me' abstractions. This is a team game - each cog gets its engagement from those around.

'Carna Dees.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BDA said:

St Kilda are terrible. Outside of king and marshall I can’t think of too many of their players I’d want us to trade for

I'd like their half backs in Wanganeen-Milera and Sinclair. Brad Hill wouldn't be bad either. Otherwise, I agree.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Pennant for your own health please don’t read the game day thread, you’re too valuable a poster to lose. 

Thanks, but I was at Community footy and listening on headphones. I did it more out of curiosity to take on board when I watched the game later

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, layzie said:

I thought the game was really well umpired too. Can't think of many howlers and they were spot on with paying and not paying marks. 

Surprised with the free kick count. 

Really happy about the umpiring with a 'sudden' observation of how much Gawn gets belted, held, interfered-with by opposition transgressors of all reputations, awarding appropriate free kicks to the Big Gentleman in an attempt to eradicate these rule violations (for the first time in recent years of footy) as each occurred. It does suggest, thankfully, a mist of neo-Gothic splendour in regards to fairer play, fairer umpiring, fairer opportunity and it echoes far and wide across the field of play as the game progresses. 

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I wasn't looking for replays of the frees so not sure why Max got so many.  They were mainly in ruck contests so I assume they were holding which is difficult to see from the stands with so many players around the ball.  And as you say some hiigh ones.  Marshall nor team mates complained at all so the frees were there. 

I thought Clarrie played an OK game.  Fierce as always. He improved as the game went on. 

He isn't a goal kicking mid so we need more value (meters gained) from his excellent ground level work.  imv 'meters gained' (181) is a key stat for non-goal kicking mids).   It was very low yesterday suggesting he isn't using his legs so disposals are very short distance albeit @ 91.7% eff.  He had three i50's placing him 10th yesterday.  So for a mid, his output ie after taking possession (distance (mtrs gained), goals, GA, i50's,) was on the  low side especially as only 8 of the 24 were contested.  So yeah, for mine it was an ok game.

He will get back to his best soon enough and if we keep winning in the meantime all is good.

Clarrie is improving slowly but I completely agree with your observation regarding metres gained and 'not using his legs'. 

Although not overly quick, a key aspect of Clayton's game has always been very powerful first 3-4 steps to burst away from a would be tackler and clear his arms for an attacking handball or driving kick. I don't feel like we've seen that sudden burst and drive from his legs as yet this year.

Edited by Dee*ceiving
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

While the free was technically there, I absolute hate how harshly we interpret that stand rule.

It is a huge penalty to pay, when most of the time, the slight movement makes absolutely zero difference to the game. 

It wasn’t the stand rule. It was for going over the mark, specifically on May’s left side. It was clearly the correct call, though doesn’t always get noticed.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fromgotowoewodin said:

He’s a kid in his 2nd year, he’ll be fine.

Tom Hawkins kicked 25 goals in 19 games in his first 2 years (1.32 gpg). Tom Lynch 27 goals in 30 (0.9 gpg).

JVR’s just played his 30th game and is averaging 1.37. Hawkins didn’t get there til year 3, Lynch year 4 (i think he was injured year 3).

So true, I can’t remember the last time a key power forward who was dominant in his first couple of seasons. Maybe Jack Darling. JVR is on the right track nicely. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 3
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Not in the contest and stepped well over the mark and on an angle to cut off the kicking lane.

Was a hot one but they should pay them more often, it’s blatantly gaining an advantage 

I see.

Don't the umpires always give a chance to the defender to reposition himself so to not get caught though? It seemed like the umpires blew the whistle immediately, but as you said it was a correct call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Demon17 said:

......and we only need one player in the team to consistently fly for Mark of the Year - and Kozzie has that entitlement.

Thing is though, McAdam actually knows how to do it. 

So perhaps we reallocate that entitlement?

And this one...https://www.afl.com.au/video/994633/up-and-mcadam-in-huge-hanger?videoId=994633&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1691218330001

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I see.

Don't the umpires always give a chance to the defender to reposition himself so to not get caught though? It seemed like the umpires blew the whistle immediately, but as you said it was a correct call.

No, a player not in the contest doesn’t get a chance to be pulled back. King was definitely over and particularly cutting off the angle for the next kick is a dead giveaway.

• Like 1

Like to see some work being put into Clarry’s disposals.  

firstly yes the short little handballs hit targets but mainly are blokes under more pressure than him. Decision making ? 

secondly is there anyone else who kicks rainmaker air balls into the forward line - you know the kicks that “ go up as far as they go along “ .  Clarry used to bullet some kicks. Not anymore.  Maybe again a confidence thing.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Free kicks:  21 to 10 :cool:

Aside from my delight at that I thought the game was well umpired.  At the ground there didn't seem to be too many 'clangers' and rarely was there an uproar from the crowd over a free paid or not paid.

I actually felt a bit sorry for the Saints - that moment of weakness vanished when they put on three junk time goals ...

Given Marshall killed Max last year and was arguably best afield in our win, it was strange how Max focused he was yesterday instead of playing his own game. He constantly held Max at every stoppage and there could have been even more paid Max's way.

I thought we got the rub of the green on a few tiggy touch wood ones, but on the whole most of the frees against the Saints were there.

I also (strangely) felt sorry for St Kilda too.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, mpc said:

Steven May goal & celebration > Harley Reid 🤣

Rick Lever’s reaction to Maysie’s goal = THE BEST! 🥳

• Like 6
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

I'd like their half backs in Wanganeen-Milera and Sinclair. Brad Hill wouldn't be bad either. Otherwise, I agree.

Owens, Wilson and Windhager are very good young players. I'd take all of them.

• Like 2
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

I guess we were playing a team at $3.40 to win odds, and it ended up showing.

According to the pre-game thread, this was apparently great value and I should have got on ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

19 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

I had the same feeling! The feeling I got was that I was watching a game where Saints where bottom 4 and it was Round 20 or something… not Round 11 and they’re trying to break into the top 8…. there wasn’t much intensity at all from them which is a worry 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

I thought the game was really well umpired too. Can't think of many howlers and they were spot on with paying and not paying marks. 

Surprised with the free kick count. 

Hope it is not just a “rule of the week” thing, and continues: finally umpires took notice of the holding of Maximus in ruck and marking contests.

They however did miss, or chose to ignore, Tracc repeatedly being held out of the centre square contests. It was blatantly obvious from the stands. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I actually felt a bit sorry for the Saints - that moment of weakness vanished when they put on three junk time goals .

1 hour ago, Binmans PA said:

1 hour ago, BoBo said:

I had the same feeling!

What a bunch of softies we are !!!  But isn't it good to be humble fans in victory.

Their plight must have touched a deep sore spot circa 2012 for us demons.  They were trying but nothing was working for them and you could feel the player's despair. 

LOL!  Had it been Coll, Carl, Ess or Geelong I would have said:  No mercy allowed😇

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

What a bunch of softies we are !!!  But isn't good to be humble fans in victory.

Their plight must have touched a deep sore spot circa 2012 for us demons.  They were trying but nothing was working for them and you could feel the player's despair. 

LOL!  Had it been Coll, Carl, Ess or Geelong I would have said:  No mercy allowed😇

I feel for Saints fans more than anyone else. They've been in the competition for so long, for so little success. They got agonisingly close under Lyon before, and really wasted a very good list.

I can only imagine what it feels like whenever Trac dominates a game against them.

If anyone was to have a period of success that would make me happy, it would be the Saints.

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

If anyone was to have a period of success that would make me happy, it would be the Saints.

You think that now, but if it happens you’ll change your mind. I used to have a soft spot for Geelong due to family being catters, and I felt bad when they lost all those grand finals and wished them well.. now 4 flags later they can all get [redacted]!

Everyone is insufferable when they’re winning, except us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

He does need a new curve on the learning scale, though. This will assist other forwards to appreciate and 'learn' improved ways and consistencies with protection, support and opportunities to goal fortuitously. Our forwards, for too long, have abandoned one another - seemingly reliant on individual chances (low percentage returns) rather than negating close-checking opposition backs, putting their bodies in there to block defenders, creating sudden space links for handball and blindly running amok in the pursuit of impossible 'kick-it-to-me' abstractions. This is a team game - each cog gets its engagement from those around.

'Carna Dees.

And who's job is that to implement?

34 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Not a chance. Ever since I was kicked out of the members stand at Moorabbin for applauding a Demon goal I have hated them

• Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

What a bunch of softies we are !!!  But isn't it good to be humble fans in victory.

Despair is the feeling they gave off which is weird, makes me wonder if there’s a bit of friction somewhere and not everyone is happy. Pure speculation but it was weird vibes. 

I think I’m physiologically incapable of any positive feelings towards those clubs so that shouldn’t be a problem, haha

• Haha 1