POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

18 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Reminded me a lot of the match against Essendon last year during Gather Round. 
Opposition playing well and our entire line up looking off the pace.

It’s not yet a pattern but we’re yet to string enough consistent performances together to be counted as a threat.

We’re a finals team but not sure how much further than that.

Not yet a pattern? Seriously? 

We are trailing in stats that were once the pinnacle of our game.

Contested footy 

F50 entries

Clearances

F50 territory.

Were once synonymous with our brand.

We had 1 goal from turnover. 1 goal against a team that is 16th! Got smashed by the Pies by 11 goals last week. 

I dunno, in my desperation I’m thinking Perhaps this is the season we have to have in order to reshape our direction footy wise. I just can’t see it though, the players look all over the shop they are confused, complacent and lost.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, greenwaves said:

What concerns me is that we lost seven games last year and we've already lost four games and we're not even halfway.

Since 2000 4 teams have won the flag after losing 7 H&A games, no one has won it losing 8 or more. We better go on a fair run from here.. 

• Like 1

We are no longer in the conversation for this years flag.

We’ve wasted our chances at winning a second premiership. Time to go down a mini/decent rebuild and get some list turnover.

Our list depth is either too old or not good enough. Unfortunately some of our trade decisions have come back and bitten us on the [censored].

New leadership is needed, on-field and off it. Max, god love him, is no longer able to put in his Herculean efforts like he used to. Too much is being needed to be done by our best players’, and when they have down games due to always being looked upon to lead, no one else is stepping up.

This has been coming for a couple of years, and despite our coach, pres & CEO continually saying they won’t be complacent, they have been left found wanting.

We desperately need fresh voices, and those that have been in charge have refused to acknowledge or even allow this with their iron fists.

Change is needed.

• Like 2
  • Clap 3

Posted (edited)

Watching the game live was disturbing. They played like energiser bunnies or us like the Coyote trying to chase the road runner. They spread and ran everywhere taking uncontested and marks with ease with not a demon within cooee.  We were slow playing the pass and turnover game in contrast. Again our midfield was pathetic. The defence was uncharacteristically disorganised. The forward line consequently was neutered. This game was worse live than watching on TV could ever be. This season so far we have played our worst 2 games for the past for 3-4 seasons. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Jordon is clearly one of the best taggers in the game. DubDee can't shake off the rosy red and blue glasses.

One of my biggest gripe with Goodwin is he's refusal to tag gun players. Tim Kelly tonight was unbelievable and barely anyone went with him. It's cost us games.

Goody is too arrogant to even realise that he should have at least tried Jordon as a tagger last year after the success we had with Harmes back in 2018 before trading him off. 

JJ’s mostly tagged half backs hasn’t he? Only a couple of mids?

And Goody ended up tagging Walsh with ANB, although it was a reactive move not proactive.

Interesting the Swans don’t trust JJ an a centre bounce on baller yet. He rotates in after the centre bounce. But with his huge tank he’s doing a great job just eating workload. Exactly what we need to take the load of Tracc especially and Clarry and Viney.

Goody just doesn’t experiment enough especially in wins or the occasional bad loss. Almost no Rivers on ball this year. Chandler’s never had a centre bounce that I’ve seen at afl level despite being good as a vfl mid. We’ve only seen Langdon forward the last couple of weeks, never seen Windsor anywhere else.

Well that's the first loss I've seen live of awhile. 

First off, Reid is a beast (Though he ran too far from the middle and was caught a few times, but that the modern HTB interpretations)

To sum it up we looked slow across the field, not just out of the centre.  They consistently had players quickly move to space, especially from their kick outs up the centre for easy mark, at our cheer squad end.  After Lever went off, its seems our structure disappeared and therefore big holes everyone, that the eagles exploited.(You wouldn't have seen them on TV)  

For us moving out of defence we had no options and continually turned it over on the wings, or missed targets.  Whereas the eagles held their marks where it mattered. 

In watching the game, up the half way through the last I thought we might get a run on.  But were the players loaded up over the longer break!!  We looked stuffed from running and couldn't cover the ground.

Not a good night.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Clayton spirit said:

Why is our starting winger from 2023 not in our best 26 with Langdon out?

Because he's cooked as per his VFL performance. 

• Like 4

35 inside 50s for a game. Against last year's Spooner's. That is a player and coaching fail.
I personally hate our new game plan. We don't have the kicking skills, and we are so slow to move the ball from the back half , it allows teams to flood back. The eagle forwards were in our forward 50 way to often today.

I don't mind our coach trying new things, but this style has changed us for the worst.
Id rather 60 inside 50s and hope we kick accurately.

• Like 6

The opposition coach fails to mention the outstanding performance of Melbourne a couple weeks ago and Demonland loses its [censored].

Melbourne gets properly done and Demonland loses its [censored], mostly failing to mention the outstanding performance of the opposition.

On their home deck, on the other side of the country. It's evident that like me, not many on here actually watch other teams. 

We were poor no doubt. Losing our backline coordinator in the early stages and our defensive organisation broke down.

Definitely a concern, as is our midfield form and a bunch of other longstanding issues. But all credit to the Eagles for a fine display. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Can someone please tell me if Goody’s presser is worth watching with some tangible ‘learnings’ (like what we’re going to do about our slow starts, taking teams for granted, where our midfield has gone in 2024 etc), or if it’s just going to bum me out even more than I am now.

Stole my thunder 

look at the recruiting since our flag, we have 2 ex dogs Hunter & Shache & lions Fullerton  @ Casey, ex saints who can’t pick and we handed the swans Grundy & Jordan for a song who are killing it and continue with trying to turn defenders into fwds 

Edited by Demonsone
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Stole my thunder 

look at the recruiting since our flag, we have 2 ex dogs Hunter & Shache & lions Fullerton  @ Casey, ex saints who can’t pick and we handed the swans Grundy & Jordan for a song who are killing it and continue with trying to turn defenders into fwds 

Footy eh!

38 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Stole my thunder 

Okay. You're the recruiting and drafting team since 2021. Go! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skuit said:

All I am going to say is that I can't believe we couldn't get one decent KPF in the last two off seasons. It's been a clear hole in our list even after 2021.

Isn't our team attractive enough? Surely we had some cap space to pay a decent 600k or so.

11 minutes ago, Skuit said:

Apologies for my spelling, just stating the obvious, what was the point of Fullerton? Since Jackson left  the Grundy trade was a disaster though should have perceived with it, who are our fwds, our mids have gone backwards & shown  up by an 18yo today 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

All I am going to say is that I can't believe we couldn't get one decent KPF in the last two off seasons. It's been a clear hole in our list even after 2021.

Isn't our team attractive enough? Surely we had some cap space to pay a decent 600k or so.

All you're going to say? A more constructive approach would be maybe suggesting which key forward we could have attracted for $600,000 or so ahead of other teams. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Apologies for my spelling, just stating the obvious, what was the point of Fullerton? Since Jackson left  the Grundy trade was a disaster though should have perceived with it, who are our fwds, our mids have gone backwards & shown  up by an 18yo today 

I don't care about your spelling. Fullerton cost what as a back-up? Grundy was a disaster but we should have persisted? Was the trade approach a disaster, or?

Who are our forwards is a good question, but the club is not blind, spending our two top draft picks on key forwards following our premiership. 

Our mids, very good ones, are seriously out of form at present. How is this related to drafting, unless you think we should have pushed Oliver, Viney and Trac out earlier?

Edited by Skuit
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

A clear hole on our list since before 2021. What do you want us to do?

2 hours ago, Clayton spirit said:

Why is our starting winger from 2023 not in our best 26 with Langdon out?

Because he has poor disposal and we have too much of that already.

A tough loss to accept.

Once again and has it has been for the last few years, our problem is the forward 50. You might tell me that we have to get the ball in there to know how good/bad the forwards are and that we are just not doing that. I would argue that we are robbing our defence and midfield to patch up the forwards troops. This is to the detriment to 2 out of the three areas of the field.

Petty moved into the forward line and, so far in his games this season has done nothing of note. Turner from defence gets a run there and kicks three in his first game there and then nothing. Petracca gets  a run up there from an already depleted midfield through the loss of Brayshaw and the depleted midfield is flat and slow and second to the ball.

An old adage, but none the less true, it is won and lost in the midfield. 

We were proud of our ability to reset during games but we have lost our ability to do that. I would like to see a team reset driven by the coaches and selectors. 

Lever is out next week. Move Petty back there to partner with May. Howe, Rivers, Bowey and McVee to cover the rest. 

TMac forward with JVR, Frisch, McAdam, Chandler, Pickett. Rest a mid there when required.

Midfield, now we get to the nub of the matter. Petracca, Oliver and Viney the main drivers. Two out of the three at each centre bounce. ANB, Sparrow, Salem to get runs there along with Pickett and Rivers as required tactically. I would give Woewodin a chance in there as well and Tholstrup needs to show what he can bring.

back to basics....play players where they excell...... and use their positional flexibility as plans B, C and D.

play to our strengths in defence and midfield and let the goals arrive from good team structures and play.

The ‘tweaks’ we have made this season have not been effective.

no rebuild... the building blocks are there..... use them wisely.

• Like 1