GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

1 minute ago, binman said:

Funnily enough I'm the exact opposite.

I'd also add that Carlton coming off a loss makes me very nervous. I expect they'll come out firing and think that most of their errors and sloppiness which were seen last week won't be seen against us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

I'd also add that Carlton coming off a loss makes me very nervous. I expect they'll come out firing and think that most of their errors and sloppiness which were seen last week won't be seen against us. 

I think the blues have reached their ceiling this year.   Unfortunately I am not so sure about Collingwood.  They seem to be gelling quite well.  But it’s a long season 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's good to have Bowey back. We've underestimated how important he is to our back half and how much of a loss he's been this year so far.

It is good but I have to say our backline hasn't missed a beat. They have been a rock all year. If anything our midfield to me seems like it hasn't really clicked all year. Yes we are more focused on the post-stoppage clearance but still it hasn't to me clicked yet. Oliver getting back to full fitness will help.

I would like to see Bowey kicking inside 50 more often though. His kicking is generally outstanding and he was super fit over the summer. So he is a great addition

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 640MD said:

I think the blues have reached their ceiling this year.   Unfortunately I am not so sure about Collingwood.  They seem to be gelling quite well.  But it’s a long season 

That's a fair call and you could be very well correct. Three losses out of their previous four games isn't something that you'd say exudes confidence in a top four finish, at least at this stage and on exposed form. But it's a long season as you said and the Blues have previously shown an ability to turn around a season very, very quickly. 

For what it's worth, I think the Blues can be too reliant on too few to win a game. But they have some good role players - albeit they can be too inconsistent. If anything, I think their defensive structuring leaves much to be desired with reference to other top four teams and that could be the difference come end of season. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, binman said:

Us or them?

Us. Surely we need to include Tom these days.

Sorry Binman. I misread your post. I thought you were talking about our defenders not fwds.

Edited by leave it to deever

MELBOURNE    3.3    4.7    7.11    9.17 (71)
CARLTON         2.2    5.3    7.5     11.7 (73)

We have to kick straight Simple really!

Go Dees

• Like 3
  • Vomit 1

Against Geelong , Carlton conceded 10 goals from their first 19 entries (into their D50)

Their defence is their weak point. McGov helps enormously but teams have gone to work on Weitering and dragging him up the ground. A role that I expect Disco to take. 

Carlton remind me of us when we pushed so high up the ground and were vulnerable to the checkers/leapfrog  attack out the back.

Collingwood nullified Carlton's stoppage game by pushing Cripps and Walsh away from every stoppage

Will be some interesting tactical ploys tonight.

Dees by 17

• Like 5

If their previous form is anything to go by, Kozzie, Fritsch and Chandler will be massive threats. I'm not sure they have a really good match up for any of them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 640MD said:

Great comments, can I use them on my mates?

We are better than last year when we gifted the game.
Bowey in makes us better.

Petty usually keeps his form once he is up to speed.

and we have Leb on a wing.

and Disco is providing an alternative to our Mr Smith.

and I do not think the Captain’s run took much fitness away from us.  Just a loosen upperer.

more angst on the keyboards than on the field 

Go Dee’s 

Good point about the strength of our team compared to our last game against them.

I mean, in addition to losing melk and Petty late in the season, having no bbb and a half fit tmac, we had lost both Gus (injury) and JVR (suspension) from the previous game.

Gus was a massive loss because he was one of our most reliable big game players. And losing him the week before made it hard for someone to come in, get up to speed, and play his key mid - defensive role.

And jvr was also a huge out, one because he was really the last man standing in terms of key forwards, and two he was our key back up ruck.

It's remarkable really that we dominated most of that game.

On the team running out tonight, it's arguably very close to our best 23 (salo is the obvious one missing and Melk and McAdam are both in the mix too i guess).

As for your blues mates, I'd be getting into them abour their [censored] weak defence.

When they start bleating about Marchbank, saad and McGovern tell them great defences are built on sytem not personell (and remind them we have had three kids down back).

If they still bleat, remind them the cats put 20 goals past them two weeks back, but could only manage half that against us a week later (let them worry about innacurate goal tallies- if they are quibbling about how bad they are defensively you have made your point and are in their head).

• Like 7

Flashback to 2018 - which doesn't look all that dissimilar to 1998 based on our results. 

The year of 'Is Goodwin the Right Guy?' (and an AFLX trophy). The 6-6-6 rule was brought in the following year.

For those that think Simon is stuck in the mud: 

No team has scored as many points in a season as us since then.

We only scored less than 90 points in five games of the regular season. 14 matches we scored above 100. 

(We already had Lever, on the sidelines, but then went and fetched May). 

2021: We don't manage more than 90 points in 14 regular season matches. Score above 100 five times.

Win flag. 

The point of the story: the 100-plus point drubbing we gave to Carlton in 2018 was a thing of glory. 

Our 8th biggest winning margin in MFC history, and the biggest since 2004 . . . against Carlton. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Ok game day check list.

Mates invited....check.

Dons franks... check.

Bread rolls... check.

Drinks menu....vb vb and vb check.

All ready.

Go Dees.

You forgot the packet of Marlboro Red, really good from the first bounce to the 20-minute mark of the last quarter when it is plainly obvious that the opposition quite simply cannot win. Carna Dees!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Against Geelong , Carlton conceded 10 goals from their first 19 entries (into their D50)

Their defence is their weak point. McGov helps enormously but teams have gone to work on Weitering and dragging him up the ground. A role that I expect Disco to take. 

Carlton remind me of us when we pushed so high up the ground and were vulnerable to the checkers/leapfrog  attack out the back.

Collingwood nullified Carlton's stoppage game by pushing Cripps and Walsh away from every stoppage

Will be some interesting tactical ploys tonight.

Dees by 17

JNR, why do you think they have reverted to the territory front half, trap it inside 50 game (basically much the same as our 2021 to 2023 model)?

I mean, they used that model for the first half of last year and  were woeful.

They turned things around by implementing a turnover game, making a prelim after looking certain to miss the finals at the half way point of the season.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, binman said:

Good point about the strength of our team compared to our last game against them.

I mean, in addition to losing melk and Petty late in the season, having no bbb and a half fit tmac, we had lost both Gus (injury) and JVR (suspension) from the previous game.

Gus was a massive loss because he was one of our most reliable big game players. And losing him the week before made it hard for someone to come in, get up to speed, and play his key mid - defensive role.

And jvr was also a huge out, one because he was really the last man standing in terms of key forwards, and two he was our key back up ruck.

It's remarkable really that we dominated most of that game.

On the team running out tonight, it's arguably very close to our best 23 (salo is the obvious one missing and Melk and McAdam are both in the mix too i guess).

As for your blues mates, I'd be getting into them abour their [censored] weak defence.

When they start bleating about Marchbank, saad and McGovern tell them great defences are built on sytem not personell (and remind them we have had three kids down back).

If they still bleat, remind them the cats put 20 goals past them two weeks back, but could only manage half that against us a week later (let them worry about innacurate goal tallies- if they are quibbling about how bad they are defensively you have made your point and are in their head).

Good thing Bowey is back. 

Otherwise it would be eight changes to the last time we met.

An in form Petty will be the difference tonight. 

Edited by leave it to deever

13 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

If their previous form is anything to go by, Kozzie, Fritsch and Chandler will be massive threats. I'm not sure they have a really good match up for any of them. 

That is a really good point - three killers on their day. Today, it's the day! Smalls will win this game ....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

It is good but I have to say our backline hasn't missed a beat. They have been a rock all year. If anything our midfield to me seems like it hasn't really clicked all year. Yes we are more focused on the post-stoppage clearance but still it hasn't to me clicked yet. Oliver getting back to full fitness will help.

I would like to see Bowey kicking inside 50 more often though. His kicking is generally outstanding and he was super fit over the summer. So he is a great addition

That's the exciting part, him coming back certainly gives us the run and dash we've missed and also strengthens our backline.

The difference this time around is that McKay is in great form with Curnow contributing well.

Accuracy on goal will as usual go a long way towards deciding the winner.

A real 50/50 match.

• Like 1

We look strong all over the ground. I think we just need to do well enough in the centre bounces and kick straight.

May and Lever are the best in the comp at their roles and TMac is playing like an A-Grader this season. McVee, Rivers and Bowey are very good players and know their roles in our defensive system.

The forward line looks very well balanced at the moment, with three mobile talls, Fritsch and Kossie. We will get enough shots at goal if we can get the ball inside 50.

We aren't going to get opened up and beaten on turnover once the ball gets in motion, but they could beat us if they get on top of Max and the midfield at clearance. Another big game from our four big guns and Sparrow is the key.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, binman said:

As for your blues mates, I'd be getting into them about their [censored] weak defence.

When they start bleating about Marchbank, Saad and McGovern tell them great defences are built on system not personnel (and remind them we have had three kids down back).

Daniel Hoyne said the exact thing on SEN Tuesday - it is system based. Good systems are plug and play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon we'll be fine on the 5 day break. I think the real hard game is the one after the 5 day break. Ever pulled an all-nighter? It can be done and you often get into a zone. Then you're wrecked the next day. I'm more worried about next week after these two big games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritta and Turner said:

Hopeless case here, not confident at all, but I am wearing my Melbourne socks.  Had to tell you that.  Probs hide under a rock tonight.

I didn't feel confident against Geelong and I don't tonight.

I should though after the Cats win.

I feel like this will be another arm wrestle. Can we win two close ones in a week?

I'm worried about the five day break.

Apparently it was a very light training run which makes sense.

I know Frittas  good for his three goals and Kozzie for his usually two but who else will kick them?

I think 90 points is a winning score. I know we have the best defense in the comp but Blues fwds are very dangerous. We can't rely on just keeping them to a few.

If we do win, it will well and truly set up our season. I'm excited to see if Petty continues his form. And to see what young Windsor does again tonight.

And of course Kozzie. He's always exciting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

The forward line looks very well balanced at the moment, with three mobile talls, Fritsch and Kossie. We will get enough shots at goal if we can get the ball inside 50.

It's a bit of an unknown quantity somewhat.

Yes we can bank on Fritta and Kozzie but our talls are the interesting factor.

If  two of Turner, Petty and Jvr perform, I reckon we've got this.

• Like 1

10 day break followed by a 5 day break

Vs two 6 day breaks

You could argue either way which is worse. 

Blues have had a tough run of close games and lost 3 of 4. They need this win 

But we are looking so strong at the back. If our mids can fire (big if) we will get it done

1 hour ago, BLWNBA said:

Being in my early 30s, Carlton have traditionally troubled us. Vivid memories exist of us needing to beat Carlton several times in the 2000s in order to secure our place in the top 8 or top 4 only to falter, from memory once this happened twice in the one season - and let's not forgot Mitch Robinson and the infamous "bruise free football". 

In the 2000s, we played Carlton ten times between our epic win in the 2000 qualifying final and properly bottoming out in 2008

We went 7-3 over them during that period (including our ‘loss’ in the Kreuzer Cup’).

Until last year, they would have a lot more gripes about us annoying them in recent years than the reverse.